Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ArbitraryC posted:

It's kind of none of her business particularly considering it sounds like she's gonna become the defacto owner of it immediately but if it really is a 500 vs 200 dollar thing I don't really get why he wouldn't just take the higher value thing and sell it/return it to get some extra free money.

That's also an oddly specific reward, "you can have some an ipad or raybans of your choice".

If he gets the iPad then his girlfriend will take it. If he gets the sunglasses he gets to keep them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
uhh unrelated to the thread but I saw this linked on reddit, anyone know what thread it's from?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewmicldxhSE

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

therobit posted:

If he gets the iPad then his girlfriend will take it. If he gets the sunglasses he gets to keep them.

Yeah I'm just speaking to the "why not just get the more expensive thing, return it, buy the sunglasses, and pocket the difference" aspect. Even if he wasn't considering/worried about her just commandeering the ipad, get the sunglasses + 300 bucks is kind of the obvious choice. It's just a strange situation to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
im sure you can get a different tablet for $300 and watch netflix on it

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Sell the ipad, buy a pair of sunglasses for each of them and have $100 left to buy drugs.

She's totally right though, he sounds like the guy who would choose the mystery box.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

im sure you can get a different tablet for $300 and watch netflix on it

or he could get 2-3 kickin rad pairs of sunglasses instead of just one. Or he could get the sunglasses and buy Dare 30 reregs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

dudeness posted:

Sell the ipad, buy a pair of sunglasses for each of them and have $100 left to buy drugs.

She's totally right though, he sounds like the guy who would choose the mystery box.
Maybe dude just really likes sunglasses.

OP posted:

wtfthatsadumbchoice[S] 0 points 2 years ago

Look, I bought cheap, beautiful sunglasses for 30 dollars, they're attractive and reliable... guess what I don't have for 30 dollars ? A loving ipad. And this goes with my boyfriend too. He already has 150 dollar beautiful sunglasses... and a laptop with viruses so bad you can actually feel a virus in you when you use it.

Therefore, his decision for himself makes me feel helpless that I can't convince him to go with the more practical option here.
Or maybe they're both kind of idiots.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I want to know more about the laptop that gives you herpes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

She keeps saying "expensive sunglasses" but then says $200 dollars which aren't expensive sunglasses at all. I mean, sure, work might be stiffing him $300 bucks on the prize if you take the sunglasses but it's not unreasonable to me to think these really might be $500-$600 dollar sunglasses.

Also both of them are terrible idiots who deserve to buy an ice cream cone and drop it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
if she thinks $200 sunglasses are expensive do i have a whole new world of loving consumerist bullshit to show her

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can get $2 sunglasses on aliexpress but $200 sunglasses are still expensive!!

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My table's Dungeon Master [20/30?M] thinks that I'm [20F] being too sensitive to his jokes

quote:

So I joined a small DnD club at my uni a couple of weeks ago, I've always been interested in role-playing and heard great stuff about a DM here so I decided to give it a try.
Before our first session the DM told us that this was a comedy/fun campaign, no serious role-playing, I was a bit disappointed at first but after my first session with the musical troupe (4 Bards and a Fighter as their security) it turned out to be a blast; everyone was having fun and the DM was incredibly hilarious with great NPCs and story.

But I noticed in the second session we had the jokes were starting to get a bit insensitive; there were lots of sexist jokes about prostitutes and wh*res, lots of irl racist stereotypes being projected onto fantasy races, and I guess I was generally uncomfortable but I played along and laughed since all the guys were practically in tears.
The DM later approached me and told me he noticed how he noticed how I was this session and was wondering if I was unwell, I said yeah and told him the above about how the jokes made me feel. He responds by telling that I'm being too sensitive, ruining their harmless fun, and to grow some thicker skin or just not show up to the next session.

He told me he's "not willing to castrate the campaign for someone's feelings." All the guys including the DM were inviting and friendly even though they're all veterans at this (save for this confrontation) and they're the only DnD table here. I'm just wondering who's in the right here.

tl;dr: DM confronted me about being too sensitive to the jokes at the table and I'm not sure what to do.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
20's a good age to learn that "you're too sensitive, it's just a joke!" is the traditional signal of the raging rear end in a top hat.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

La Brea Carpet posted:

My table's Dungeon Master [20/30?M] thinks that I'm [20F] being too sensitive to his jokes

I mean if everyone else is enjoying it maybe just let them enjoy it in peace rather than using it as a moment for education. Like not saying they're right or good people for making uncouth jokes while they're playing their board games and I wouldn't personally wanna hang out with them either given that info in a vacuum i just think the situation is better served by her just not associating with them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pick posted:

if she thinks $200 sunglasses are expensive do i have a whole new world of loving consumerist bullshit to show her

Prescription sunglasses are a whole other level beyond that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My [28F] roommate [28F] is away for the weekend. I thew a party last night and invited people over. This morning a lot of her expensive items are missing. I can't afford to replace any of them.

quote:

I don't know if this is the right place for this but I don't know what to do.

I live with this girl named Meredith. For someone I met online when looking for a roommate to fill the second room, she has been absolutely great to live with. We aren't the best of friends but we get along well. We both have busy lives so we usually chat for a few minutes in the evenings and on the weekends. She's actually an awesome roommate. She's quiet in the mornings and night, clean and takes good care of the common areas. When she first moved in, she asked me if she could put a lock on her bedroom door. I thought this was odd because the last roommate never did this but it's her own room so I didn't really care. She left the extra key for me in a kitchen drawer and told me she usually doesn't lock the room but if she goes away for a few days she prefers to keep the door locked because she's quite watchful of her things.

Anyway, Meredith has a good job but I don't think she is super rich or anything like that. When she first moved in, she only bought two suitcases of things. I commented on this and she basically said she likes designer items so she buys just a few high quality items but pays a lot for them. I don't really know anything about designers or labels but I kind of got to appreciate them after seeing her wear these items.

Yesterday, I had my last exam of the summer semester and officially finished my course. I decided to have an impromptu party to celebrate at the apartment. I texted Meredith letting her know and asked if she wanted to join in and bring friends.

Me: DONE!! I am going to have ppl over to drink later. Want to join? You should ask Jen and her boyfriend to come too.

Meredith: Awesome! Congrats!! I am going to be in [place] remember? I am coming back Sunday because I have a session at 9. Have fun celebrating!

Meredith: There may be a bottle or two of wine in the fridge. I bought it last wknd. You can have it for tonight :) :)

Me: Thanks!

Meredith: By the way, if there's going to be people over, can you do me a huge favor?

Me: Ya what's up?

Meredith: When you are in the apt later, can you pls lock my room? I think I left my Tom Ford sunglasses on my bed as well so maybe you can put them in the closet or something?

Me: I am here now.

Me: Hey, I put the sunnies in the closet and locked the room. Have fun in [place].

Meredith: Perfect, thanks!

So people were over last night but it ended up being a much bigger party than I expected. People brought friends so it was really crowded. I got drunk pretty quickly. My friend Allie was feeling a bit ill and wanted fresh air. I am an idiot. I wish I could take this all back. I was too drunk and wasn't really thinking. Meredith's room has a nice large window where you can sit on the ledge. I unlocked her room with the spare key and let Allie in. I went back to drinking with friends. At the end of the night, a couple of people crashed in the living room but left when they were sober.

I woke up this morning to a very messy apartment with drinks spilled everywhere. I had every intention of cleaning it up. I walk towards the bathroom and notice Meredith's door open. I remember opening it last night so I just wanted to go back and lock it again. I noticed that a few of her drawers are open and her closet is open. gently caress. Now I am freaking out. Meredith literally only has ten or so hangers in her closet of which seven are EMPTY. Everything was there last night because I opened it to put the sunglasses in. The sunglasses are missing as well. I am really freaking out now. I don't know what else is missing. I looked up Tom Ford sunglasses online and they run $350+. Some of her purses are $6,000 each. I have no idea how much any of her clothes are worth. I can not afford to replace any of these items. Not now and not anytime soon in the future. I know it's all my fault. Anyone could have taken the items since so many people were in the apartment. I called Allie and she told me to file a police report which I will do now. What do I do? I have every intention of paying Meredith back but I literally can not afford to do so. I think she will be very upset about this. A lot of her things seem to be gone. It's not like she's very rich that she can just write it off like no big deal. A lot of her savings went into these items. I feel so horrible.

tl;dr: Had a party at my apartment. Roommate is away and asked me to lock her bedroom door. I did but then got drunk and opened it hours later. Wake up and many things in her room are missing. She has very expensive taste and I can not afford to replace any of the items. What do I do?
:rip:

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Prescription sunglasses are a whole other level beyond that.

Nothing like getting $400 Ray-bans stolen by somebody who can't even use them. I'm never buying prescription sunglasses again.

But jeez, how little empathy can she have to fail to get that her boyfriend doesn't care about electronics but likes sunglasses? So what if he already has sunglasses, he already has a phone. He was planning to buy expensive sunglasses? Even more reason to take the free ones!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

My [28F] roommate [28F] is away for the weekend. I thew a party last night and invited people over. This morning a lot of her expensive items are missing. I can't afford to replace any of them.

Hahahahahah

Ahahahahaha

Ahahahahaha

You're so hosed, so utterly utterly utterly hosed

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean if everyone else is enjoying it maybe just let them enjoy it in peace rather than using it as a moment for education. Like not saying they're right or good people for making uncouth jokes while they're playing their board games and I wouldn't personally wanna hang out with them either given that info in a vacuum i just think the situation is better served by her just not associating with them.
She wasn't lecturing or trying to educate them, she was sucking it up and going along with it

quote:

I guess I was generally uncomfortable but I played along and laughed since all the guys were practically in tears.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

I have nothing to say about how big of an idiot she was because it's clear she's aware of this but what's the legal culpability here? Could her roommate hold her responsible in court for the loss or is she sorta just screwed?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Anne Whateley posted:

She wasn't lecturing or trying to educate them, she was sucking it up and going along with it

Yeah I mean the aftermath, she was uncomfortable with the jokes and is asking how she should move forwards, imo she should just move on.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Saeku posted:

Nothing like getting $400 Ray-bans stolen by somebody who can't even use them. I'm never buying prescription sunglasses again.

But jeez, how little empathy can she have to fail to get that her boyfriend doesn't care about electronics but likes sunglasses? So what if he already has sunglasses, he already has a phone. He was planning to buy expensive sunglasses? Even more reason to take the free ones!

ipad worth more money, can sell and buy more sunglasses if he wants and have money left over. She even mentions it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

ipad worth more money, can sell and buy more sunglasses if he wants and have money left over. She even mentions it.

She doesn't seem to actually know how valuable the sunglasses are; she just seems to think sunglasses can't cost more than $200 or he is the biggest moron on the planet and they offered to buy up to $500 of sunglasses but he only wants a $200 pair.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

She doesn't seem to actually know how valuable the sunglasses are; she just seems to think sunglasses can't cost more than $200 or he is the biggest moron on the planet and they offered to buy up to $500 of sunglasses but he only wants a $200 pair.

I dunno, considering she brought it up it sounds like that was explicitly included in their discussion/argument, if he was really getting sunglasses worth the same pricepoint of the ipad there's really no reason she would be so explicit about that particular dynamic unless you just wanna believe she's lying.

Like "my boyfriend got a windfall of cash and spent it on frivolous stuff instead of dealing with necessities" would be a separate but still interesting argument, she directly framed it as him deciding to lose a couple hundo on the prize for nebulous reasons.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

La Brea Carpet posted:

quote:

lots of irl racist stereotypes being projected onto fantasy races

Welcome to DnD.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

Find out if she got them through consignment, some of that poo poo holds no value at all. Secondhand designer sunglasses are like $15 a pop. The purses you're probably in more trouble. But don't loving O'Henry your stupid rear end over some loving secondhands

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Barudak posted:

Hahahahahah

Ahahahahaha

Ahahahahaha

You're so hosed, so utterly utterly utterly hosed

I dunno, it was dumb and it’s gonna be a lovely conversation with the roommate, but when you get down to it, it just seems like they got robbed. file a renter’s insurance claim and move on with life.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno, considering she brought it up it sounds like that was explicitly included in their discussion/argument, if he was really getting sunglasses worth the same pricepoint of the ipad there's really no reason she would be so explicit about that particular dynamic unless you just wanna believe she's lying.

Like "my boyfriend got a windfall of cash and spent it on frivolous stuff instead of dealing with necessities" would be a separate but still interesting argument, she directly framed it as him deciding to lose a couple hundo on the prize for nebulous reasons.

They also don't describe WHICH iPad he won. I'm guessing it's the lowest end iPad mini if the other prize is some Maui Jim's.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Hahahahahahaha

:owned: you dipshit. I hope Meredith had renters insurance for like $50,000.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
also if you can't afford to replace your wardrobe under any circumstances, get a cheaper wardrobe. im sorry but every since prada and friends hosed off to china it's all the same lovely manufacturing quality and you shouldn't expect your dolce & gabanna to last two seasons anyway.

jesus they're either out of season in 6 mos anyway or you look a drat fool wearing last years poo poo like it held up

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

This is why you buy expensive things no one wants to steal, like a $5k toothbrush or buttplug.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

andrew smash posted:

I dunno, it was dumb and it’s gonna be a lovely conversation with the roommate, but when you get down to it, it just seems like they got robbed. file a renter’s insurance claim and move on with life.

Not sure if you can be robbed by guests according to insurance. It’s like how a bank wont refund you theft by someone that was given your PIN.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"im wearind a 3 year old coat with giant polka dots. im sure that the peeps 'in the know' will recognize this as runway tyool 2018"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

If you don't recognize the Koch fashion line then you can't talk about runway.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They might have renter's insurance???

Probably not though I guess.

cowofwar posted:

Not sure if you can be robbed by guests according to insurance. It’s like how a bank wont refund you theft by someone that was given your PIN.

It should cover it but it probably varies by company I guess.

They'll probably want a police report to be filed.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 8, 2018

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

They might have renter's insurance???

Probably not though I guess.

i feel like if you could throw a party then report any losses or damages to insurance the premiums would be so high there'd be no point to it.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean I wouldn't expect to be able to sell an iPad worth $500 for $500, seems like they go for for half that on Ebay, so selling it and buying the sunglasses + paying tax = basically even.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Saeku posted:

I mean I wouldn't expect to be able to sell an iPad worth $500 for $500, seems like they go for for half that on Ebay, so selling it and buying the sunglasses + paying tax = basically even.

She says how the prize plays out is he buys it and work reimburses him. So just buy it, leave it in the box, get the reimbursement, then return it. Wouldn't even have to try to sell it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ArbitraryC posted:

I have nothing to say about how big of an idiot she was because it's clear she's aware of this but what's the legal culpability here? Could her roommate hold her responsible in court for the loss or is she sorta just screwed?

The police are unlikely to aggressively pursue the case. They have a list of suspects (everyone at the party) but they'd have to interrogate them all to maybe catch a thief who just has to stick to "I didn't take anything and I didn't see anyone take anything". It'd be a lot of work for a poor chance of making a misdemeanor case.

There's definitely some civil liability at the small claims (or Judge Judy) level - $7,500 in California. How it was worded in the police report will be a big factor there. OP was definitely negligent. The text log between OP and unlucky roommate hurts her too. Combined with the police report it makes the case. Going from "I locked your room so you won't get robbed" to "I unlocked your room and you got robbed" is going to be an easy sell before any judge. Collecting anything from OP's broke rear end is another story, but roomie would just be out some time and maybe $90 in court fees, which she gets back if she ever collects.

e. Roommate will absolutely have to prove the valuation for her claims, hope she kept receipts. She also might have a claim on her renter's insurance if it's her policy, since she can prove her room was supposed to be locked. Then the insurance company would have a claim against the OP, and it's worth it to them to have their lawyers send a series of threatening letters to get OP to sign something.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

i feel like if you could throw a party then report any losses or damages to insurance the premiums would be so high there'd be no point to it.

Idk. I'll ask and find out tomorrow though I'm curious now. I'm under the impression it covers theft whether during a party or not.

e: Depends on the company though for sure, some of the cheaper ones do named perils and stuff to avoid claims

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 8, 2018