Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
God drat non Earth orbit junk junking up my Earth orbit. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's orbiting the sun, not the earth.

[e] :argh:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
:argh: ELON :argh:
:argh: MUSK :argh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SpaceX is Musk's 100% legitimate post-PayPal success, more than any other venture he's had. Tesla is cool from a tech standpoint and has really shown that A. a market for EVs do exist, and B. they can have similar range to a gas car. As for the cars themselves, beyond the drivetrain, they're meh.

Though I do believe he's gone on record saying that if he gets forced out of the market by the big car makers in the EV market, he won't care, because they're making EVs now and that's a big plus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Musk offer up the Tesla tech for free to everyone?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rhyno posted:

Possibly? Not sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iospace posted:

Possibly? Not sure.

Maybe it was just the battery tech. A shame, imagine the Tesla tech in the hands of a competent auto maker.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeah, just think if GM's marketing could get their hands on Tesla's inferior tech and resources.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
He didn't offer battery tech or anything, he removed all licensing fees for their charger port design. He wants the other manufacturers to use Tesla's charger port design because that's only a plus for everybody.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

Maybe it was just the battery tech. A shame, imagine the Tesla tech in the hands of a competent auto maker.

Saab is dead man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Saab is dead man.

Too soon bro.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Saab is dead man.

i'm picturing it and smiling but thinking about it and frowning

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/regularcars/status/961361113177735168

God drat genuine land barge. 2 metric tons, 5 meters long and full of all the good stuff.

Image is a link to a gallery.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hnnnng that is a good car.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I really hope there's an RCR video.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Regarding space junk are we saying that it would be a good idea if we left less crap up there? Maybe if we started to develop the tech to recover things instead of leaving them where they end up? Perhaps even reuse them? That would be great, someone should tell SpaceX about that idea.

They're also trying to make the payload fairings recoverable by the way.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

He didn't offer battery tech or anything, he removed all licensing fees for their charger port design. He wants the other manufacturers to use Tesla's charger port design because that's only a plus for everybody.

See, this is cool. Standardize the infrastructure, specialize the users.

I think it's pretty normal to be turned off by the cult of personality around a single person though, be it Donald Trump or Elon Musk.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

xzzy posted:

I saw estimates that the car may not last a year because radiation will destroy pretty much anything in there that's carbon based. And if that doesn't do it, micrometeorites will fill it with holes.

It's going to be the space equivalent of a car in some farmer's front yard with a tree growing through the engine bay.

An interplanetary shandrydan. That's so American.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

See, this is cool. Standardize the infrastructure, specialize the users.

I think it's pretty normal to be turned off by the cult of personality around a single person though, be it Donald Trump or Elon Musk.

Rich people/the ruling class are not to be trusted.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still baffled how here in germany no one can figure out the charging infrastructure for EVs. There are a lot of charging stations (at least in the cities) but they are all operated by different companies that require you to make accounts and get special cards and chips to use the chargers. So you can't just drive to a charger and use it cause the company hasn't send you their special little chip yet and even if they did half of the time it doesn't work because it won't read it or your account is hosed. The people you can call have no idea what to do and just restart the charger and hope it works or tell you to use another one.
How loving hard is it to set up a charger where you just put your debit/credit card in and it just charges your car and your bank account. This is not new technology! You can do this to tank gas! But as soon as its electricity you have to disrupt! We need an App and a special card and an account where you can precisely check how many electricity you charged where!

Best chargers are the ones where its just some dude sitting somewhere and he gives you a key which unlocks the charger and makes you promise to bring it back afterward...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Regarding space junk are we saying that it would be a good idea if we left less crap up there? Maybe if we started to develop the tech to recover things instead of leaving them where they end up? Perhaps even reuse them? That would be great, someone should tell SpaceX about that idea.

There's a good anime, Planetes, which is about space debris cleanup.

While it's an important issue, and we should keep an eye on how much we randomly chuck off planet, things like the Tesla are massively far down the list compared to things like anti satellite weapons testing by countries that don't give a gently caress.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shai-Hulud posted:

I'm still baffled how here in germany no one can figure out the charging infrastructure for EVs. There are a lot of charging stations (at least in the cities) but they are all operated by different companies that require you to make accounts and get special cards and chips to use the chargers. So you can't just drive to a charger and use it cause the company hasn't send you their special little chip yet and even if they did half of the time it doesn't work because it won't read it or your account is hosed. The people you can call have no idea what to do and just restart the charger and hope it works or tell you to use another one.
How loving hard is it to set up a charger where you just put your debit/credit card in and it just charges your car and your bank account. This is not new technology! You can do this to tank gas! But as soon as its electricity you have to disrupt! We need an App and a special card and an account where you can precisely check how many electricity you charged where!

Best chargers are the ones where its just some dude sitting somewhere and he gives you a key which unlocks the charger and makes you promise to bring it back afterward...

Because mutiple electricity providers thanks to capitalism. They all want to capture as much profit as possible. Fuel is a physical good, so its very easy to track that, not so much with electricity, since the grid is all interconnected, so we get this clusterfuck when you leave it to private companies.
Its (relatively) more simple when it comes to things such as houses where your supplier can switch but your position does not, but it quickly becomes a bag of dicks when applied to EVs.

Thank you capitalism and the free market for making utilities an idiotic playground for rear end in a top hat companies.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 8, 2018

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
On the subject of V12 Toyota's:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/06/rolling-double-six-v12-toyota-mark-ii/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Because mutiple electricity providers thanks to capitalism. They all want to capture as much profit as possible. Fuel is a physical good, so its very easy to track that, not so much with electricity, since the grid is all interconnected, so we get this clusterfuck when you leave it to private companies.
Its (relatively) more simple when it comes to things such as houses where your supplier can switch but your position does not, but it quickly becomes a bag of dicks when applied to EVs.

Thank you capitalism and the free market for making utilities an idiotic playground for rear end in a top hat companies.

I'm all for ragging on capitalism, but it's not like gasoline is a a government monopoly. It's all private companies, and they managed to figure out. The problem is both the lure of BIG DATA, and even more so that the charging points are being controlled and designed by the car manufacturers, instead of a separate industry. Imagine if Ford built fuel tanks designed for a square filler nozzle that only Ford gas stations were equipped with? That's the situation here. If you want to rage against capitalism, rage against the current push towards deregulation which means the government isn't going to step in and mandate a standardized plug and socket design for cars like they have for buildings in the past.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 8, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I thought he released a bunch of patents at some point way back when, didn't know he did this.

While I wish there was a standard port, I'd much rather it be a collaboration vs. everybody accepting what Tesla designed... Based on some of their other choices. :v:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Tesla's electric motor became public domain.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Since he's so gung-ho about Mars, I really hope someone can talk him into doing a bunch of terraforming research. Because, uh, we're gonna need that here pretty soon.
SpaceX talked way back when the BFR was still the Mars Colonial Transporter about terraforming and how the first robotic mars flights would have equipment for getting the process started. Of course, that's assuming we've figured out HOW to do it in the first place.

iospace posted:

SpaceX is Musk's 100% legitimate post-PayPal success, more than any other venture he's had. Tesla is cool from a tech standpoint and has really shown that A. a market for EVs do exist, and B. they can have similar range to a gas car. As for the cars themselves, beyond the drivetrain, they're meh.

Though I do believe he's gone on record saying that if he gets forced out of the market by the big car makers in the EV market, he won't care, because they're making EVs now and that's a big plus.
I think the biggest achievement of Tesla has been showing the world that it is possible to build a long-range EV that can be charged in a few hours and that there IS a market for it. Which means the established manufacturer have been forced to stop lying about it and actually start making electric vehicles, even though it feels like many of them are still holding back and hoping that EVs will be a fad that blows over so they can go back into their petrol-scented comfort zone.

Tesla cars have their faults, but they've been great for lighting a blowtorch under the lazy asses of the traditional manufacturers.

Rhyno posted:

I believe he wanted Tesla to eventually only build platforms/drive trains and let others build the cars around them.

The first stages and fairings don't end up in orbit anyway, even in expendable mode. They never reach orbital velocity. The second stage is typically deorbited and burns up on reentry after the payloads have separated. But yeah, reusability is good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just imagine a 20 km beach. On that beach think of one grain of sand. That's the Tesla in Interplanentary space and the rest of the beach is one great big fuckoff vaccuum.

...How is that a problem?????

It's not, and I would have to guess think it's even by several orders of magnitude less of a problem than that. I had people at work yesterday bitching about it to. I actually got tired of trying to correct people that it is nowhere near LEO which IS a concern, potentially a serious one. They can't grasp how orbits work and vaguely remember hearing about the asteroid belt from grade school.

It's orbit is virtually taking it out to Ceres.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Space junk is a legit problem, yes, but as mentioned, most everything of a rocket never makes it into orbital flight, only suborbital at most.

It's why the EM drive has some interest, despite the fact it shouldn't work by any means (no clue if they finally launched that microsat with one on and tested it). Satellites today are limited by onboard fuel (and some by coolant, but that's a different matter). Usually the last bits of fuel are to put it in a graveyard orbit or deorbit it, depending on height (anything middle earth orbit or higher tends to get graveyard orbited, because at that point drag is negligible so they won't deorbit due to the atmosphere). If a 100% propellentless rocket engine works, even if it's a small amount of thrust comparatively, it would revolutionize satellites forever, because once you're in space, the amount of thrust you need drops to a very tiny amount.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Elon Musk is basically Hank Scorpio in real life. How many larger-than-life visionaries can you name who are actually bringing their wild claims to fruition like he is? Sure, a lot of the time it's years later than promised, but it's still happening. I think we need more people like him. Naysayers should put their money where their mouths are. No one's perfect and neither is Musk but we're seeing amazing progress that society as a whole desperately needs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

slidebite posted:

It's not, and I would have to guess think it's even by several orders of magnitude less of a problem than that. I had people at work yesterday bitching about it to. I actually got tired of trying to correct people that it is nowhere near LEO which IS a concern, potentially a serious one. They can't grasp how orbits work and vaguely remember hearing about the asteroid belt from grade school.

Only issue I have with it is they did it all in one burn, which means its closest point to the sun is super close to earth's orbit.

My issue isn't a litter related one though, it's just not as fun as it would have been if they gave the rocket a near-circular orbit around the sun. They clearly had the fuel to pull it off so I figure the rocket lacked sufficient steering thrusters.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

xzzy posted:

Only issue I have with it is they did it all in one burn, which means its closest point to the sun is super close to earth's orbit.

My issue isn't a litter related one though, it's just not as fun as it would have been if they gave the rocket a near-circular orbit around the sun. They clearly had the fuel to pull it off so I figure the rocket lacked sufficient steering thrusters.
They were testing several different things during this; it wasn't purely a publicity stunt. Starman was actually a test of the SpaceX space suit, which is one reason why they hung out in the Van Allen belt so long before executing the big burn, and the trans-Mars injection burn was a burn-to-depletion test. I suspect it had a little more fuel than they calculated and so, missed Mars orbit.

Also, The Worlds Fastest Car should be back around Earth in Feb of 2030. I said to some coworkers that it'd be amazing if SpaceX planned a mission to retrieve it when it's back around. Ambitious, yes, but 12 years to plan and pull it off? And think of the publicity.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Finger Prince posted:

I'm all for ragging on capitalism, but it's not like gasoline is a a government monopoly. It's all private companies, and they managed to figure out. The problem is both the lure of BIG DATA, and even more so that the charging points are being controlled and designed by the car manufacturers, instead of a separate industry. Imagine if Ford built fuel tanks designed for a square filler nozzle that only Ford gas stations were equipped with? That's the situation here. If you want to rage against capitalism, rage against the current push towards deregulation which means the government isn't going to step in and mandate a standardized plug and socket design for cars like they have for buildings in the past.

I brought up fuel since, as a tangible good, its easy to track, weve been trading in tangible goods for goddamn ever, and therefore poo poo like square nozzle exclusivity hurts the bottom line since youre not moving volume.

Electricity is a vastly different landscape for delivery, being most definitely not tangible in the same ways fuel is, and in that distinction is where the profit margins are. Its a clusterfuck which is not being aided by current regulation.
Besides I think theyre not ragging on socket design, but on the fractured, non unified payment state of charger stations. A more apt comparison would be if a metro had mutiple operating companies and each line required their own payment card.

Nationalize all utilities.

The Midniter posted:

Elon Musk is basically Hank Scorpio in real life. How many larger-than-life visionaries can you name who are actually bringing their wild claims to fruition like he is? Sure, a lot of the time it's years later than promised, but it's still happening. I think we need more people like him. Naysayers should put their money where their mouths are. No one's perfect and neither is Musk but we're seeing amazing progress that society as a whole desperately needs.

My personal problem with it is that the project driving this push into space is in part a vanity project, and the other part a for profit venture.

And also the technocratic worhip of "great visionaries", when really the most he did was foot the bill. Call me a pessimistic grump but I dont believe that sort of thought is sustainable.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 8, 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Yeah people can't grasp how truly big space is. Mainly because it's pretty unfathomable to our human scale of thinking. Think of the size of a car in relation to the size of the Earth, then imagine that you can fit 30 more Earths in between that car and the moon. But the moon is just there! I can see craters on it through my binoculars! Yeah space is loving big.

Really loving big. And that's just in the relative 2 dimensions of the orbital plane.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Collateral Damage posted:

I think the biggest achievement of Tesla has been showing the world that it is possible to build a long-range EV that can be charged in a few hours and that there IS a market for it. Which means the established manufacturer have been forced to stop lying about it and actually start making electric vehicles, even though it feels like many of them are still holding back and hoping that EVs will be a fad that blows over so they can go back into their petrol-scented comfort zone.

As a Detroiter, I don't really agree with your perception. Tesla is only able to make it "work" because it's a luxury vehicle and can charge more, despite them still never making any money doing it. From a business perspective, you can understand how to any corporation (which are designed to make money and bring profit to shareholders) that this is a bit of a hard sell especially after the bankruptcies.

However, everyone knows it's the future of propulsion and there's a ton of money being invested in it currently. But to make them cheap and affordable (and not be a loss for the automaker) for everyone like a Model 3 or Bolt is still difficult. They sell in small enough numbers that the losses aren't huge, and the R&D will eventually pay off. For the short term, fossil fuel is still king so it's a dual path at this point. Eventually EVs will overtake them, it's just going to be a few years out.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah it's not like he put a disco ball in LEO for no loving scientific or testing gain that's ruining real scientific research.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

um excuse me posted:

The Tesla's electric motor became public domain.

I mean, I haven't dug into it, but I seriously can't imagine Tesla invented anything new with motors... induction motor for the higher end stuff, apparently a permanent magnet DC motor on the Model 3.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah there's videos of this thing making noise and it sounds cool as gently caress but this article has the single greatest part of the story in there. Allow me to point it out to you all:

quote:

Barely mustering a stodgy 100hp, the old M-EU needed to go. While the initial idea was to fit the 3UZ-FE, found most commonly in the Lexus LS430/Toyota Celsior, a chance Yahoo Auctions Japan encounter with something a bit more exciting altered the Mark II’s destiny.

Like a 3UZ, it had a couple of cylinder banks in a V-configuration. Unlike a 3UZ, it had 12 cylinders. I’m talking about the Toyota 1GZ-FE, a 5.0-litre V12 found exclusively between the struts of the GZG50 Century luxo-barge. The germination of a crazy notion kicked off, but finances dictated that a V12 wasn’t quite within reach.

With typical car guy logic, Nathan enquired about shipping costs anyway with Moonlight Racing, a local importer and Yahoo Auction Japan agent. Satisfied it wasn’t quite affordable, he vowed to keep an eye out, but didn’t bargain for what happened next. Unbeknownst to Nathan, his wife Amie had infiltrated his tablet, collaborated with Alex from Moonlight, sourced, ordered and paid for a 1GZ. The first Nathan knew of it, was when Amie passed him an invoice for a V12 on the eve of their 10th wedding anniversary, stamped ‘PAID.’

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 8, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Prong Song posted:

Also, The Worlds Fastest Car should be back around Earth in Feb of 2030. I said to some coworkers that it'd be amazing if SpaceX planned a mission to retrieve it when it's back around. Ambitious, yes, but 12 years to plan and pull it off? And think of the publicity.

I wonder if the jerks that made pluto not a planet will strip this title because it's not technically on a world anymore.

Solar system's fastest car, perhaps. But the records committee will probably say the vehicle has to be moving under its own power or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

quote:

The goal of the project is to create “a shared experience for all of humanity,” according to Rocket Lab. “No matter where you are in the world, or what is happening in your life, everyone will be able to see the Humanity Star in the night sky,” Beck said in a statement.
Like... stars?