Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

RatHat posted:

You're gonna have a really rough time with NG+ if you rely on Sloth talismans too much.

I'm one mission or two away from filling up the Way of the strong mission bar and I'm moving on to Demon already. I'm already feeling weak sloth talismans are going to be a problem in bosses like Otani.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, break off your dependence on them ASAP. They last about as long as the casting animation later.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Neurosis posted:

way of the strong. i'm in wotd but haven't gotten access to that level yet to see if people are doing the same thing there

Thanks for the advice. I gained about 40 levels in there, trying to get to a decent level before I dive into WotD

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Fargin Icehole posted:

I needed help on almost every single DLC boss....Except Sanada. I got extremely lucky with Sanada and i finished him off with 5/6 sloth talismen that landed, and even then you barely have time to get anything in

I thought you couldn't use Sloth Talismans on DLC bosses. Didn't they make it so that they were immune to it, since Sloth can wreck a lot the main game bosses?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Max Wilco posted:

I thought you couldn't use Sloth Talismans on DLC bosses. Didn't they make it so that they were immune to it, since Sloth can wreck a lot the main game bosses?

Whoops, I wasn't clear on this. This was just Sanada on the regular difficulty for me, where in the DLC these guys already start having resistances to it. I started using sloth talismans by the time I got to Shima Sakon, where I rely on it until i get hit by his bullshit one shot attack.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Max Wilco posted:

No, they're not immune, it just has a shorter duration.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Is there a good guide out there for ideal armour / weapon roles?

Currently running full kingo with an odachi and I’m just adding levels to pieces at this point. I’m afraid I’ll end up wasting resources on an item I need to replace for the better roles.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
alright i think way of the wise might be where i put this game down. getting gear up to spec for the later bosses would take too long and not be particularly fun, given how easy it is to die. ethereals just drop too infrequently and i don't want to have to gently caress around with all of my tools to get past every fight more difficult than a couple of skeleton warriors or bandits. i can only imagine how tedious way of the nioh must be.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

cougar cub posted:

Is there a good guide out there for ideal armour / weapon roles?

Currently running full kingo with an odachi and I’m just adding levels to pieces at this point. I’m afraid I’ll end up wasting resources on an item I need to replace for the better roles.

Yeah I'm almost done with Way of the Strong and I've been mostly sticking with Kingo for now. When I got a Yasakani Magatama(Only guaranteed drop is Return of the Gourd in WotS) I switched out the leg piece for Tatenashi, and I'll probably switch out the other pieces when I have enough Stamina to stay below 70% weight.

The only other set I've seen that I've considered is the General of Kigetsu which gets bonuses when you have a negative status effect(AKA Carnage Talisman). With 1-2 Yasakani Magatama you can mix and match to get the effects of a bunch of different sets so don't be afraid to experiment.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
The 'reduced set bonus requirements' effect from the Yasakani Magatma doesn't actually stack, unfortunately

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Any good build guides for this? recommendations? i got complete edition as a gift from someone on Steam that saw i liked dark souls and im kinda lost as to what skills to buy, what stats to raise and what is garbage. Im enjoying using an Odachi, but im facing choice paralysis with where to put my skills. are there respecs in this? or is it a one way gently caress you for picking this and changing your mind? Ive got to the ogre in the ship after the flaming fishing town.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

This game is pretty forgiving in how you spread your stats, to an extent. You want enough stamina to get at least under the 70% equip cap (unless you're using all heavy armor then that's pretty much hopeless), at least a little bit of dexterity and magic to give you more tools to use, and enough spirit to take advantage of guardian spirit abilities. Other than that, just focus on the main stats your chosen weapon loadout scales off of. You start leveling up pretty quick once you get into the groove of the game, so don't agonize too much over where to put points early on. Also, re-spec items become plentiful towards the middle/end of the game.

The first skills you want to grab are the ones that allow ki pulsing for dodging at the right time. Basically dodge when you'd otherwise be ki pulsing and you get a free one. Other than that, pick what looks cool. The base movesets are enough to get through the game.

Don't worry about upgrading equipment early on in the game, you'll find better stuff pretty rapidly as you progress.

Some other information:
The effects of each element are: fire is just damage over time, water increases the damage an enemy takes, wind reduces the damage an enemy deals, lightning slows dudes down, and earth slows ki recovery.
Weakness and sloth talismans are really strong, and can make an impossible seeming boss significantly more manageable.
Every guardian spirit has a unique attack activated by using a moment talisman, guardian spirit talisman (in the onmyo magic tree), or by pressing heavy attack+use buttons during living weapon. These are generally good for applying their respective elemental debuff, and doing other things like knocking enemies down or slowing them or giving you a temporary defense boost.

also here's a good post from a few pages ago

SkeletonHero posted:

Always make sure you are geared up to your level. Don't get too attached to gear for the first NG cycle.

Blocking is 100% effective in all directions always.

Practice "ki pulsing" (hit stance button when bright lights swirl around you right after an attack) and make sure it becomes second nature. It preserves stamina and clears away pools of evil energy that make fighting monster enemies harder. You'll know you did it right because you'll get a brief afterglow and there's a sound effect.

Every weapon is good, just figure out what you like and build around that. Get familiar with the different stances, and get used to switching between them as needed.

Look through the skill trees, focus on your favored weapons but pick up good universal passives.

Even if you aren't planning on using ninjutsu or onmyo magic, they are still worth dipping into at least a little bit. The ninjutsu backstab and the onmyo Sloth and Weakness talismans are great for everybody.

Respecs are plentiful and cheap, no point is ever really wasted and there are no trap builds.

You unlock proper backstabs from the ninjutsu tree, but you always deal more damage from behind.

Elemental status effects are very good, and if you inflict two different ones at once you inflict a super strong third status effect. This will mulch pretty much every boss with little effort.

The early game is very hard, once you have a better understanding of things and good gear the game gets a lot breezier, so don't be discouraged. The first two bosses in particular are brutal roadblocks.

Don't be afraid to ask about something here, there are a lot of obtuse systems and this is a helpful chill thread.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Unfinish3d posted:

The 'reduced set bonus requirements' effect from the Yasakani Magatma doesn't actually stack, unfortunately

Aww that’s a shame but I guess it makes it easier for finding ideal accessories. It’s really dumb that they can’t be reforged or soul matched.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

The Ki Pulse while dodge had me thinking i had to hit dodge and ki pulse while moving in the dodge animation and was writing it off as 'gently caress your old rear end, have more buttons to remember.' So just hitting dodge gets me some endurance back, with that skill, that helps a lot. The loot system I was familiar with, and picked up on how carry weight works, with agility B being can still dodge, just not ninja blur levels.

Thanks for the clarifications!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
As a bonus you only need to buy the "Ki pulse when dodging" skills once and then it'll apply to every weapon. Flux is the same way.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

The Ki Pulse while dodge had me thinking i had to hit dodge and ki pulse while moving in the dodge animation and was writing it off as 'gently caress your old rear end, have more buttons to remember.' So just hitting dodge gets me some endurance back, with that skill, that helps a lot. The loot system I was familiar with, and picked up on how carry weight works, with agility B being can still dodge, just not ninja blur levels.

Thanks for the clarifications!

I had that same problem when I first started playing, where I thought, "How the hell am I supposed to attack, dodge and hit R1 all in a row without screwing it up?" The I realized you just had to dodge after an attack.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow upgrading guardian spirits past 30 costs a ridiculous amount of amrita. Jumps from like 300k per level to 3.5 million.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah the ability to level them further was added in one the dlcs so it expects you to be making at least way of the demon amounts of amrita where a few mil ain't that much.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh just how low are the chances of (DLC3 spoiler)Jin Hayabusa dropping his unique skills?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Generally as bad as the Smithing texts

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

RatHat posted:

Wow upgrading guardian spirits past 30 costs a ridiculous amount of amrita. Jumps from like 300k per level to 3.5 million.

The limit is 60 IIRC, +10 levels per extra difficulty reached.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Warrior of the West fight is insanely cheap on WotW. Of the samurai challenge fights the red demon guy was okay and the heavy armour spear dude trivially easy but goddamn the 1 hit iais are punishing and he doesn't have nearly as many openings to take off chunks of hp as the other two

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

Ugh just how low are the chances of (DLC3 spoiler)Jin Hayabusa dropping his unique skills?

Well I got them after like 30 kills. They’re pretty underwhelming.

Izuma Drop is decent, it seems to do about the same damage as a grapple and you can still final blow afterwards. But it’s better to just Iai-Iai-Final blow instead. It just replaces your Grapple though so might as well have it.

The fireball looks cool but is too slow to hit much.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I managed to make my ethereal katana do 30 percent less damage by getting greedy on reforging rolls. Is there any way to savescum reforging? It's so ridiculously expensive when trying to optimise

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Neurosis posted:

I managed to make my ethereal katana do 30 percent less damage by getting greedy on reforging rolls. Is there any way to savescum reforging? It's so ridiculously expensive when trying to optimise

If you haven't hit Y/Triangle to force a save in the map, and if you haven't started a mission, just quit and reload. I've had it forget poo poo I did in the map so many times because I keep forgetting to force a save when I'm done.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Getting the title for beating Orochi without getting hit almost made me throw my controller through the screen.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

I guess worse-case scenario is if they set it in the Three Kingdoms era (which wouldn't be a bad thing, mind you, but Three Kingdoms era China and Sengoku Japan seem to be the main go-to time period for Koei-Tecmo). The 'Nioh' title also seems like it wouldn't really apply anymore if it was set outside of Japan.

Actually, that reminds me of something: I read that Nioh originally started out back in 2003 from an Kurosawa script called 'Oni.' Were there ever any details on it?

So long as I'm talking about films, are there any recommended samurai films that anyone recommends? I was looking through a list of samurai movies the other day, and the only one that stuck out to me was Kagemusha.

“When the last sword is drawn” is a legit fantastic movie that showcases the life of a poorer samurai, but it might be hard to find.

“Sekigahara” is a Japanese attempted at a big Hollywood style war movie that covers the battle of sekigahara. They forgot the part about a giant corpse demon though so I don’t know how accurate it really is.

There are a lot of samurai movies around, just like there are a lot of “Knight” movies around, but a lot of them require a decent amount of cultural knowledge to get. Kurosawa movies and “when the last sword is drawn” stand on their own as good movies that anybody can watch, but other movies like “sekigahara” can be really hard to follow if you don’t already know Japanese history/culture.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I was thinking all about the best routes through levels to get the Traveler titles but then I found out there's an exploit to make the game only count from the last shrine to the boss. Well that simplifies things.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
onto way of the nioh. given how loving awful the demon --> wise transition was i can only surmise i am going to explode as soon as a dweller even looks at me

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
battle of ohashi bridge on way of the nioh can go gently caress itself. the giant himself would be irritating because of how wide the arc of some of his attacks are despite looking narrow and because of his trillion hitpoints, but doable. the raven tengu with him just makes getting to fighting him a loving item-eating chore which makes really attempting the mission loving irritating.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just charge up your living weapon beforehand with spirit stones and burn down the Tengu.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I've been slowly working my way through WotN, and yeah my strategy for most difficult bits has been relying on bursting things down with carnage talisman and living weapon, with a weakness talisman + confusion on enemies. I honestly feel like playing through WotN is actually making me worse at the game overall because my strategy always boils down to either successfully bursting the things down, or dying, calling my spirit pals back, and trying again

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Starting my first playthrough on PC. Anything I should know, as someone with experience in the souls series?
Stuff you wish you had figured out earlier etc.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
- Try to focus on 1-2 weapons with your skill points, don’t spread out too much.

- Learn when to block and when to dodge. Toughness affects how good your blocking is so light armor won’t be able to block much, heavy armor can block nearly everything.

- Agility affects how much Ki you use when dodging and attacking. Always stay at B agility(70% weight) or better(A is 30%). C agility is just awful.

- Don’t worry too much about crafting or reforging before NG+, just use the best equipment you can find.

- All weapons are viable but Axe and Tonfa are probably the hardest to play well.

- Some enemies have horns you can break to drain their Ki temporarily. Some weapons have good vertical attacks for this but stones work well too.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 8, 2018

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

RatHat posted:

- Try to focus on 1-2 weapons with your skill points, don’t spread out too much.

- Learn when to block and when to dodge. Toughness affects how good your blocking is so light armor won’t be able to block much, heavy armor can block nearly everything.

- Agility affects how much Ki you use when dodging and attacking. Always stay at B agility(70% weight) or better(A is 30%). C agility is just awful.

- Don’t worry too much about crafting or reforging before NG+, just use the best equipment you can find.

- All weapons are viable but Axe and Tonfa are probably the hardest to play well.

- Some enemies have horns you can break to drain their Ki temporarily. Some weapons have good vertical attacks for this but stones work well too.

Cool thanks! Good to know about crafting, can never tell if it's worth it right away.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The most important thing about Nioh is your blocking isn't Dark Souls blocking. You can block most attacks in a 360 degree circle around yourself, and you usually block all damage. There are attacks that pierce block, there are attacks that negate blocking altogether (grabs), but your block is otherwise perfect, so when in doubt train yourself to block instead of dodge if you're more used to Dark Souls combat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Shima Honnou posted:

The most important thing about Nioh is your blocking isn't Dark Souls blocking. You can block most attacks in a 360 degree circle around yourself, and you usually block all damage. There are attacks that pierce block, there are attacks that negate blocking altogether (grabs), but your block is otherwise perfect, so when in doubt train yourself to block instead of dodge if you're more used to Dark Souls combat.

You can block a sticky bomb. Stuck to your back. You block good in Nioh.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Pegnose Pete posted:

Starting my first playthrough on PC. Anything I should know, as someone with experience in the souls series?
Stuff you wish you had figured out earlier etc.

-Apart from damage output, the stances also impact the direction of your attacks and how it affects your Ki. High stance attack are usually over-head, down-slashing attacks, ideal for single enemies. Mid-stance attacks are sweeping, sideways attacks (useful for fighting groups of enemies), and blocking in Mid-stance consumes less Ki. Low Stance is helpful because it will let you attack enemies below your waist, or score a couple more hits on a downed opponents (ex. if you're fighting a Dweller, and it's crouched on the ground, you can hit it in Low Stance; the lock-on reticule will light up if you can hit an enemy, or dim if you can't).

-One of the key skills you want to get as soon as possible is the Ki Dodge skill (I forget the exact name). The Ki Pulse will let you regain some of your stamina (as well as purifying Yokai pools), but buying the Dodge skill will activate a pulse when you dodge. I think you have to buy it for each weapon, though.

-This might be a bit of a spoiler, but the two bosses you might have the most trouble with early on are Hino-Enma and Nue. Hino-Enma I can't offer much advice on other than that moving to the sides while she's in the air will help you dodge most of her ranged attacks (you still have to be careful on the timing, though), and maybe keep the paralytic needles set on a quick-slot .

-Nue is frustrating because he'll flood the area in Yokai pools, which will hamper your stamina regen. The method I found was to try and keep a distance from him, and wait for the move where he calls lightning down. At that point, run towards him and hit him in the stomach while it's lit up. You'll have to be careful about not getting hit by the lightning (even when you strike him, there seems to be another bolt that get through), but that'll drain his stamina. He's also got a move where he'll shoot of beam of lighting out of his mouth, but if you can get around it, you can hit him in the side.

-There's another Nue you come across in the Mount Hiei mission. You don't have to fight that one in order to clear the mission. I died a good number of times to him before I realized that it wasn't necessary, and the actual boss of the mission is far easier. What I did was come back after beating the game and beat him with divine gear.

-The way the game handles elemental damage is...odd. In the second region, you'll be in a missions with enemies made out of water. However, their weakness isn't Electric, but rather FIre. I don't know the whole cycle of what-beats-what, but that might help you in that mission.

-Some of the later levels get really confusing and maze-like. There's an item called Travel Talismans that will let you leave a marker (which will also show up on the minimap). That can help you keep track of where you've been.

-The Sloth Talisman (part of the magic skills) is extremely helpful with bosses, but only in the main game. The DLC bosses have a resistance to it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Max Wilco posted:

blocking in Mid-stance consumes less Ki.

Ok so this isn't quite true despite what the game tells you(it's because of the bad translation). Blocking is the same in all stances but the ki pulse buff skill for Mid stance gives you enhanced blocking for a few seconds. Yeah they say they increase attack instead but it's a total lie for Mid and Low. High stance buff increases attack, Mid stance buff enhances blocking, Low stance buff makes you use less ki to dodge. [/quote]

quote:

-The way the game handles elemental damage is...odd. In the second region, you'll be in a missions with enemies made out of water. However, their weakness isn't Electric, but rather FIre. I don't know the whole cycle of what-beats-what, but that might help you in that mission.

Yeah it's pretty much on a per enemy basis(check the Yokai encyclopedia for specific enemies) but there are some patterns. Fire is usually weak to Water, Water is usually weak to Fire, Lighting is usually weak to Earth or Wind, Earth is usually weak to Wind, Wind is usually weak to Earth.

quote:

-The Sloth Talisman (part of the magic skills) is extremely helpful with bosses, but only in the main game. The DLC bosses have a resistance to it.

It's not the DLC I think, it's NG+ that does it. Sloth is OP as gently caress in NG but it gets shorter and shorter with each NG+. On Way of the Nioh I think it lasts for about 2 seconds.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

RatHat posted:

Ok so this isn't quite true despite what the game tells you(it's because of the bad translation). Blocking is the same in all stances but the ki pulse buff skill for Mid stance gives you enhanced blocking for a few seconds. Yeah they say they increase attack instead but it's a total lie for Mid and Low. High stance buff increases attack, Mid stance buff enhances blocking, Low stance buff makes you use less ki to dodge.
Thanks for the clarification. I figured that the buff was always for attack, but knowing it's different for each stance is helpful.

Does the duration of the buff change depending on stance or what weapon you're using. It seems like when I'm using the dual swords, I get less time than when I'm using the spear, but maybe I'm just imaging it.