Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well... I mean... Jontron was funny, but he was always really dumb. Like he made Egoraptor look smart in comparison. And Arin Hanson is about as sharp as a dull spoon.

Nah I agree with Dr. Rocks

Jontron was/is(??) really good at his shtick. I never liked him much in Game Grumps but he excelled at scripted comedy. When he's just going off the cuff he's weird and awkward and a total goober, when he's doing scripted stuff he's very good.

It's just like R Kelly, doesn't change what kind of person he is. Why are there so many easy examples for this for fuckssake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The qualities involved in becoming a successful entertainer don't necessarily make you a good person. :shrug:

What really gets me is when an entertainer who you though you liked the stuff of goes off his rocker on some nutso terrible project, like when the guy who wrote the Superior Foes of Spider-Man went and put all his cards into nazi Captain America. Makes you wonder how they got lucky the first time.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

18 dollars shipped in the continental US?

That is an extremely fair offer, but I really should pass. Thank you, though!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dug out my oversized Protectobots. I just love these guys and I hope Wei Jiang hasn't abandoned this line. I need an oversized Menasor!

OS Hotspot and PotP Prime. HS looks so good in leader class scale.

OS Rook and Breakdown. If they never do the other three guys I am gonna be super bummed.

WJ Brainstorm & Jr

WJ Hardhead and son

Blue Rook with PotP Swoop for scale

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 8, 2018

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

TaurusOxford posted:

Dear BoldForms, stop making toys. You suck at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vBVWxreTsg

Wow, that was if HowtoBasic reviewed toys.

Didn't mind it too much but I can certainly see how it'd annoy the poo poo outta' someone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh I understand the "problem", I just lack the capacity to care about the internet toy man's gender politics in the robot toy thread any more than I care about the plight of any person of any level of conceived privilege.
You are very not smart.

Burkion posted:

Nah I agree with Dr. Rocks

Jontron was/is(??) really good at his shtick. I never liked him much in Game Grumps but he excelled at scripted comedy. When he's just going off the cuff he's weird and awkward and a total goober, when he's doing scripted stuff he's very good.

It's just like R Kelly, doesn't change what kind of person he is. Why are there so many easy examples for this for fuckssake
I'm not sure if you understand just how far off the deep end jontron went. He's a virulent white supremacist, while not being white himself. It's baffling. He's also on the extreme end of alt-right, just shy of wearing an armband. That he then used his platform as a mediocre but popular youtube videogamesman to push his idiocy on impressionable young folks makes it incredibly worse.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 8, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well... I mean... Jontron was funny, but he was always really dumb. Like he made Egoraptor look smart in comparison. And Arin Hanson is about as sharp as a dull spoon.

hey check this out, this is what he wrote before that, interested in seeing how the thread feels about this lol

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Prime%27s_Rib!

To be fair him being dumb was part of what made him funny(his "what the gently caress" reaction to that one game where you play as a floating samurai head is still in my opinion one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the internet)

Captain Invictus posted:

You are very not smart.

I'm not sure if you understand just how far off the deep end jontron went. He's a virulent white supremacist, while not being white himself. It's baffling. He's also on the extreme end of alt-right, just shy of wearing an armband. That he then used his platform as a mediocre but popular youtube videogamesman to push his idiocy on impressionable young folks makes it incredibly worse.

That's exactly why I'm so disappointed in him, it's unlikely but I'd love for him to have a moment of self realization and apologize for his lovely behavior

But then I'm an advocate for forgiveness and reconciliation if the person asking for it is being sincere about it

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

It's been retconned since that Arcee was Galvatron's twin sibling who went to Jhiaxus to help her transition but then he hosed up and decided to hide his fuckup by locking Arcee up and torturing her for 4 million years.

When did this retcon happen? Which book, what issue? I can't believe I missed it.

I thought Jhiaxus was "just" an abusive sack of poo poo that was messing with Arcee's head, but if I'm wrong and that's not the case, I obviously need to pay closer attention and re-read that issue to get the correct facts into my brain.

TaurusOxford posted:

Dear BoldForms, stop making toys. You suck at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vBVWxreTsg

I can see the potential there. I'm not willing to bet on it with my money, but I see the potential.

I find that reviewer... kind of annoying, but still better than Emgo? Is that weird? I think that's weird.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Vangelus apparently found Gladius to be interesting and ambitious.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

When did this retcon happen? Which book, what issue? I can't believe I missed it.

I thought Jhiaxus was "just" an abusive sack of poo poo that was messing with Arcee's head, but if I'm wrong and that's not the case, I obviously need to pay closer attention and re-read that issue to get the correct facts into my brain.

It happened in Optimus Prime, I can't recall which issue. It's been seeded for a while as part of the ~Cultural Marxist SJW Beta Cuck Soyboy~ era of IDW.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 8, 2018

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Ooooh transformer internet personalities?! :allears:

That OS blue Rook looks shook! (It looks cool)

Kind of wanting a Blackwing after looking at some pics.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

TheDK posted:

Ooooh transformer internet personalities?! :allears:

That OS blue Rook looks shook! (It looks cool)

Kind of wanting a Blackwing after looking at some pics.

Those crazy bat wing ears, whoa :catstare:

I like purple jets either way.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh trust me I know, there's a reason why I brought him up in particular. As I said earlier, he's a racist sack of poo poo and that doesn't even begin to cover all of what is wrong with that.

It's kind of amazing if it wasn't so depressing.

And honestly the Gladius doesn't look

Okay. To clarify what I'm about to say, I am speaking from concept alone, not the final product. There's more wrong to this figure than tightening some tab joints would fix.

But the fact that it can go from a gun mode to a Megatron to a double barreled tank mode is pretty inspired. It has a good color scheme, I prefer my Megatron's being brighter I hate how dull the Masterpiece is, and the only real knock against it is that its pistol mode doesn't have a real barrel.

It looks like a nightmare to actually mess with, but the blue print is there. If a bigger company had a good hold of it, it could be an all time great figure.

That head sculpt might need another pass though

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DoctorWhat posted:

Vangelus apparently found Gladius to be interesting and ambitious.

Maybe we'll see a review of it by 2020. :v:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair him being dumb was part of what made him funny(his "what the gently caress" reaction to that one game where you play as a floating samurai head is still in my opinion one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the internet)

That's exactly why I'm so disappointed in him, it's unlikely but I'd love for him to have a moment of self realization and apologize for his lovely behavior

But then I'm an advocate for forgiveness and reconciliation if the person asking for it is being sincere about it

I don't follow what JonTron is up to these days. The guy kind of sunk his career and isn't relevant anymore. I don't know if he even still does videos. I thought I remember hearing that he realized he was a dope and quit the alt-right stuff. I don't really know if he did or didn't. You probably know better than I do.

I never got the impression that the guy was evil, more that he was an impressionable dimwit who got influenced by the wrong crowd. He probably started reading \pol\ and took it as gospel. That said, I never listened to that full two hour debate or interview or whatever he had, but I've heard excerpts and some of the poo poo he says is pretty drat bad and is like, honest to God white nationalist poo poo. I think the guy must have got Internet poisoning. I think too much exposure to social media or forums can make anyone lose their mind.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So you're saying, the internet makes you stupid

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Phy posted:

So you're saying, the internet makes you stupid

Yeah. I think it gave me permanent brain damage. Oh well, at least I'm aware.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I saw a video of his, right before he did the interview, it was not great. Like the things that annoy people about Vangelus and Emgo blended together and multiplied.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There are people who are annoyed by Vangelus?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

DoctorWhat posted:

He’s just much internet personality for me

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Vangelus is a good guy. He's a professional video editor so his reviews are better produced and he puts a lot of effort into writing them and framing shots and the like. It's just that since he works hard to make his videos really good, by the time he reviews a toy I'll already have it and it's no longer on store shelves. So I see his videos as being more for entertainment than for deciding what to buy. Thew is the same way, really.

If I'm curious about making a purchase, I'm more likely to look at peaugh or baltmatrix who put way less effort into their videos, but they review absolutely everything and do it before the figure's even released. I watch benscollectables too, he does a lot of third party and bootleg stuff.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

strangehamster posted:

He’s just much internet personality for me

My dream is to one day be wandering the odorous halls of a TFCon, walk past Vangelus, and a few seconds later he turns around to see me walking away and thinks to himself, "Wait, was that transformers-fan-and-collector TheDK?"

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

TheDK posted:

My dream is to one day be wandering the odorous halls of a TFCon, walk past Vangelus, and a few seconds later he turns around to see me walking away and thinks to himself, "Wait, was that transformers-fan-and-collector TheDK?"

Is that the Strangehamster? He doesn’t open enough toys!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TheDK posted:

It's funny, on my first TFCon I was a little star struck and nervous but I hung out with him a bit and ate dinner with him and he's just a regular guy like anyone else. I know, it's loving dumb to be star struck over some "Internet celebrity", but people form parasocial relationships and it's an interesting phenomenon. You don't want to be like a stalker, you know? A friend of mine is obsessed with getting his sempai Jeremy Parish to notice him on twitter and I give him a hard time for it.

Anyway I'm friends with Vangelus on facebook and we used to talk on twitter but I quit twitter and cut down on social media a lot so I don't keep in touch with people from cons that much anymore aside from some local people. It's kinda funny, I went to another TFCon for the first time in a few years and people were like "man you just vanished, are you ok?" (Fun fact, social media is the leading cause of depression in young people in America and simply shutting off your phone, going outside and exercising works wonders)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vangelus makes the best looking review videos out of pretty much all reviewers. But his skits at the beginning do get a bit old. I was bored and watched his Combiner Wars review series and ended up skipping ahead on most of them. His reviews really make me want to play with whatever he's reviewing if I own it.

I'm friends with Ben from Benscollectibles on FB and he is genuinely a nice person and just loves life and toys. I love his overwhelmingly positive review style.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 8, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Vangelus's skits are incredible.

The sniper's a PRICK!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

DoctorWhat posted:

I've heard people say they don't like the skits and subtitles. I think he's fine, but never watch his stuff. I keep going with the Milquetoast stuff like Peaugh or Jang unfortunately.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Vangelus reviews are appointment viewing for me, even if it's a toy I already have. It used to be because I could never hope to afford 3P Figures and other premium products and I used his videos to experience them vicariously; now I'm in it for the art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They are not bad or anything, I just don't need that when I want to see a toy review.

One thing I like that he does, when he reviews a repaint he doesn't show the transformation, he just chucks it at his table and edits the video so it's transformed when he picks it up.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 8, 2018

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm friends with Ben from Benscollectibles on FB and he is genuinely a nice person and just loves life and toys. I love his overwhelmingly positive review style.

Yeah he comes across as a nice, down to earth guy. Maybe that's why I like his videos. Is he doing well? I know he has a lot of health problems and can't walk anymore. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His health could be better but he has a really could mobility chair and can limp around his home. Through all his health issues he remained upbeat which is impressive to me. I stub my toe and I fall to the floor for an hour.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

His health could be better but he has a really could mobility chair and can limp around his home. Through all his health issues he remained upbeat which is impressive to me. I stub my toe and I fall to the floor for an hour.

Yeah, plus his health went to poo poo when he moved from the UK to Canada, which I imagine must have been really hard. Moving to another country halfway across the world is tough, even if the UK and Canada are pretty similar to each other all things considered.

I think moving my big collection of poo poo to a place 30 minutes away is a nightmare and I have two working legs and no children.

Pro tip: do not collect material things like toys, video games, movies or comic books.

Do as I say, don't do as I do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If memory serves he got a job in construction and suffered a nerve injury that can't be surgically repaired. Poor guy. And moving to Canada was his dream.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

SlothfulCobra posted:

The qualities involved in becoming a successful entertainer don't necessarily make you a good person. :shrug:

What really gets me is when an entertainer who you though you liked the stuff of goes off his rocker on some nutso terrible project, like when the guy who wrote the Superior Foes of Spider-Man went and put all his cards into nazi Captain America. Makes you wonder how they got lucky the first time.

I was so sad when I found out those comics had the same writer since Superior Foes is one of the few comic series I've actually read and finished. Major bummer :(

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh snap did Arcee have any comment on how offended she is

Hey, just wanted to leave a personal gently caress you about this as a trans woman.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Pro tip: do not collect material things like toys, video games, movies or comic books.

Do as I say, don't do as I do.

For real.

I've known this "hobby" is a coping mechanism since I was around 13 years old, but now that I'm an adult working class cripple getting some new plastic crack in the mail once a month has become one of life's bittersweet little joys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tighclops posted:

For real.

I've known this "hobby" is a coping mechanism since I was around 13 years old, but now that I'm an adult working class cripple getting some new plastic crack in the mail once a month has become one of life's bittersweet little joys.

It's better than drugs or alcohol.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It's better than drugs or alcohol.

I bet if you combined the three you could get a hell of a youtube channel out of them though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

I bet if you combined the three you could get a hell of a youtube channel out of them though

For a very, very short amount of time.

At some point something is goign to get stuffed somewhere it didn't belong and it's all going to end in tears

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tighclops posted:

Don't tempt me.

Burkion posted:

For a very, very short amount of time.

At some point something is goign to get stuffed somewhere it didn't belong and it's all going to end in tears

BrB, starting Rhyno's drunk toy reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
10 bots 10 shots plus 10 shots.