Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ruta posted:

New people usually die there in the final phase because they run their stack marker to Mars and no one follows or, more likely, they get hit by the plus shaped explosions.

Boss drops balls of fire. They detonate in a plus shape. It's not marked on the ground. Does it sound familiar? Lots of pugs take it to the face too but usually have the gear to survive. New people not so much.

Yeeeaaahh it's the balls of fire. That makes a lot of sense. Is there a spread marker to? A few of us had it at once and we all just spread out and ate that damage ok. Ima feel dumb as gently caress if that was a stack mechanic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Philonius posted:

And like, the puddle mechanic where 2 players get marked. What's the point of that, even? The marked players hardly take any damage, the puddles are tiny, noone really needs to move at the time so just drop them to the side wherever.
most of the time the puddles are a non-issue, but every once in a while the marker goes to a greedy/inattentive dps who doesn't move and then everyone dies because the dot from stepping in it does like 12k/tick.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeeeaaahh it's the balls of fire. That makes a lot of sense. Is there a spread marker to? A few of us had it at once and we all just spread out and ate that damage ok. Ima feel dumb as gently caress if that was a stack mechanic though.
if you're talking about the last phase of unsync EX it's something like stack for akh morn, stand right behind the boss to bait the AOEs, move to the center of his hitbox to dodge them, send 2 people to each corner of the arena to dodge the next set of explosions, and then he should be dead before the next mechanic happens.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The more conservative groups I've seen day one might do the first batch in two pulls, and maybe pull the ape pulls separately after the first boss. It didn't take long to go straight to the wall on the first two pulls, and pull both ape groups (maybe even the dogs with a caster LB).

Yeah, I dunno. Unless the guy was somehow being a dick outside of chat, like RP walking or something, I feel like pulling extra poo poo when the guy tanking says he's not comfortable with more stuff is being a dick. He was really up front about it right from the start, at least, and he doesn't seem like a primadonna so much as just not as good at the game as your average tank, and if a tank doesn't think they can handle something, chances are it's a self fulfilling prophecy and they can't.

Also posting shame pictures on here and it isn't even an RP profile, c'mon.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Griz posted:

if you're talking about the last phase of unsync EX it's something like stack for akh morn, stand right behind the boss to bait the AOEs, move to the center of his hitbox to dodge them, send 2 people to each corner of the arena to dodge the next set of explosions, and then he should be dead before the next mechanic happens.

Nope, just regular level synced

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Arist posted:

I'm the guy at 338 who hasn't even seen EX yet

:same:

I'm probably not even going to try it unless I go with goons. I did not enjoy my PFs of Lakshmi and Susano.

As nice as some of the weapons are, I'll probably just wait the two months to get a Sigma weapon instead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

isk posted:

Been thinking about this a bit. Think it's either a troll or a miss on expectation setting when the preceding cutscene says the enemy is nothing special.

That tricky clown strikes again. :argh:

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
As I recall, the last phase goes stack marker, fireballs placed, eyeball on the ground aoe markers, fireballs explode, arena goes on fire except the line where the boss is (this aoe is marked), aoe in the previous safe spot (also marked) and repeat. There are unavoidable shriek hits littered in too.

Lots of people gently caress up the fireballs. They run away from them as soon as they spawn thereby planting their eye aoe all over the safe spots.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Leofish posted:

I'm probably not even going to try it unless I go with goons. I did not enjoy my PFs of Lakshmi and Susano.

Let me tell you about this farm party for Susano I was in where the tank didn't know he was supposed to block the sword.

Or eat the levin balls. :suicide:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Let me tell you about this farm party for Susano I was in where the tank didn't know he was supposed to block the sword.

Or eat the levin balls. :suicide:

REJOICE! :shepicide:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

We just noticed that the last patch removed the jumping puzzle to get on top of our house.

RIP Moai Staircase :smith:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Where can I find a list of gathering node timers/locations that's up to date with everything?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ibblebibble posted:

I actually like the tigerballs phase of the Byakko fight. It's a good time to decompress and get myself ready mentally for the hell that is dodging everything whilst wildfiring.

I've found it, the worst opinion in this thread.

Sorry about your taste in Naruto music? :shrug:

Maybe I'd like it more if I could make out even a single word of the lyrics, but I can't think of a single trial song I find less interesting than Amatsu Kaze.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Maybe I'd like it more if I could make out even a single word of the lyrics

It probably doesn't help that it's in Japanese. :v:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Where can I find a list of gathering node timers/locations that's up to date with everything?

http://garlandtools.org

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I managed to accidentally put "Master's Meat" into my crafting macro, I shouldn't be doing this late at night.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

Man, I've been a bit spooked to try out Byakko EX, but I thought both Susano and Lakshmi were super easy (and fun). If you guys are saying it's even easier than them, I might have to give it a shot tonight.

Is that the tank gear? I'm pretty meh on sandals and stuff but the chestpiece looks fairly solid.

Yes, that's it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I managed to accidentally put "Master's Meat" into my crafting macro, I shouldn't be doing this late at night.
CUL, I hope

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Picked up an FC room to do stupid things with.

Also redid my private house's exterior (this is why I have no gil)

House dress-up is second only to character dress-up.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Stormblood trials have been doing pretty well. Lakshmi, Susano, and Byakko are all pretty great to me. My taste must be a little off though, because on the other hand, I've never thought Shiva's theme was all that great. Yet when my sprouts were doing it for the MSQ, one audibly said "Hello!" when the transition happened. Most of the ARR trials have been outclassed imo.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I cleared the fight 22 times, so I was sure people had it down to a science. Cue me joining a party that wiped ten times in a row, not even managing to get the tiger below 50% HP consistently.

The one time we got to enrage, Byakko still had 30% HP. :negative:

... Byakko has an enrage?

Granted,

SKULL.GIF posted:

I am really impressed that a fight that easy manages to be such a pub slayer.

the thing with Byakko is that it has a lot of mechanics that are easy to deal with if you think about them and put effort in, but they're really harsh traps for people who either refuse to do mechanics or just don't want to think about them. I can totally see it being a pubslayer because if you try to be lazy through it, you get punished severely. The healing is also non-zero-effort during tiger phase.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
So my wife showed a surprising interest in trying out FFXIV and I thought she'd be able to play on her laptop while I used the PS4 and we could play together. Except I had forgotten how resource intensive the game is on PC and that her laptop has no way of running it at more than 8 fps. So now she's registered a SE account to Steam for the free trial and only way to get her over to the PS4 is to either buy the game for $20 and have a 30 day free period to see if she likes it, or create a new SE account with a new email address that she would have to remember about for one thing.

:negative:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Don't use Steam.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Username/post combo right here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SpaceDrake posted:

... Byakko has an enrage?

IIRC its a soft enrage. We ended up there once with like 15-20 deaths and he just starts doing raidwide aoe over and over. We killed him during, so i don’t know if there’s a big finishing move.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He does that raid-wide AOE three times in a row, then charges up one more which is the one that instantly wipes everyone.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
I need to start stance swapping so my DPS isn't so low. I always put that off because I don't want to be responsible for a wipe if Im not able to go back into Grit in time for a tank buster or something.

Anyone have any good advice for tank stance swapping?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Unironically, play WAR, because stance-swapping is oGCD, unlike the other two tanks, for some weird reason.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so here's a question

why the heck does Proto Ultima show up in Dun Scaith

He's very clearly not a voidsent

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
The weekly quest for him says he's mistaking the voidsent signals there for a primal and is just autorunning "KILL ALL PRIMALS.exe".

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

so here's a question

why the heck does Proto Ultima show up in Dun Scaith

He's very clearly not a voidsent

Because players wanted the Proto Ultima trial from fanfest but the devs didn't want to add another stand alone trial at the time so PU murdered a trash boss in Dun Scaith and started squatting in her house.

It shows up because it detected a high energy signature. Or something.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Chaosfirev posted:

I need to start stance swapping so my DPS isn't so low. I always put that off because I don't want to be responsible for a wipe if Im not able to go back into Grit in time for a tank buster or something.

I've never seen a tank need to go back into grit/etc to survive a tank buster, outside of hardcore prog situations. You should have enough mitigation alone with your cooldowns, and your healers need to take shield responsibility.

If you're unsure, it just takes practice. If you find you do need grit to survive certain parts, you'll eventually map the fight out well enough to learn the appropriate times to dance.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Chaosfirev posted:

dont go back into grit, pop a c/d

tank stance is alright when youre new and trying to learn when the damage comes but as you build confidence that you have a rough map of cooldowns you want to really drop it, it's a really big detriment to the amount of damage you can do

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Even in savage you don’t need tank stance except for certain circumstances.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Even in Savage prog you don't really need tank stance. Especially on DRK. TBN and Dark Mind are basically always available and cover like 80% of tankbusters in SB.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The new pvp caster pants are good and the gloves come with pointy nails.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Chaosfirev posted:

In general, tank stance is only used to generate threat. Pull in tank mode, then switch to dps and never look back once you have a threat lead. Unless you have incompetent healers and keep dying while they sit on their rear end for too long.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Play warrior. Pull using unchained. Generate ALL THE AGRO FOREVER with one BB combo. Pop over to defiance once unchained falls off. 6x Fell Cleaves wombo combo. Laugh maniacally.

Side note I know that BB combo isn't really necessary but I'm always more comfortable with the massive threat lead it gives so I don't have to think about it so :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PLD with a ninja in the party never has to touch shield oath or rage of halone and I can usually hold even without shadewalker and never touching shield oath. I start pulls with a pre-cast holy spirit immediately followed by a shield lob and circle of scorn and can roll straight into dps combos. I toss maybe one rage combo in place of a royal authority combo if anyone starts to get close on hate.

If I'm pulling with people that can actually grab aggro then it's just shield oath, one rage combo, and then sword oath for the rest of the fight.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
Huh, I never realized that the tank stance was that unnecessary so to speak. I already use my cool downs at appropriate times along with Darkest Night so I guess I'll try dropping the tank stance tonight during progression and see how that goes.

I did the "Grit for pull then drop it" when doing O4S so maybe I just needed to git gud and do that for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chaosfirev posted:

Huh, I never realized that the tank stance was that unnecessary so to speak. I already use my cool downs at appropriate times along with Darkest Night so I guess I'll try dropping the tank stance tonight during progression and see how that goes.

I did the "Grit for pull then drop it" when doing O4S so maybe I just needed to git gud and do that for everything.

Some things hit really loving hard that require a lot of effort, but those things are pretty rare. On a boss fight unless your healers are just flat struggling to keep you up (which means you may need to adjust cooldown usage a bit), you should be in tank stance as little as possible.

It makes sense to pop it on if you need to get hate mid-fight because the MT dies or something and there are hots up, but generally speaking you can stay in DPS stance most all of the time.