Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

and also $28,000

uh huh that's surely the only financial help

Errol Graham Musk was born in 1946 in South Africa, to a South African father and British mother.

Described as a swashbuckling, astute engineer, he became quite wealthy through his own Engineering Consulting practice/developing real estate (probably mining/natural resources related infrastructure), eventually retiring early. He was likely semi-retired by 1980, at 34, as he seemed to have a lot of time to spend traveling/for leisure.

He owned thoroughbred horses, a yacht, a Cessna (he enjoyed sailing and piloting), as well as several residential homes. One of his houses was in the upscale suburb of Pretoria called Waterkloof, where Elon likely spent most of his childhood after age 9.

Errol also had a stake in an emerald mine (near Lake Tanganyika, Zambia), where he would one day take his young sons Elon and Kimbal, so you can imagine the level of success/wealth he had - probably on the order of $20M USD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Errol Graham Musk was born in 1946 in South Africa, to a South African father and British mother.

Described as a swashbuckling, astute engineer, he became quite wealthy through his own Engineering Consulting practice/developing real estate (probably mining/natural resources related infrastructure), eventually retiring early. He was likely semi-retired by 1980, at 34, as he seemed to have a lot of time to spend traveling/for leisure.

He owned thoroughbred horses, a yacht, a Cessna (he enjoyed sailing and piloting), as well as several residential homes. One of his houses was in the upscale suburb of Pretoria called Waterkloof, where Elon likely spent most of his childhood after age 9.

Errol also had a stake in an emerald mine (near Lake Tanganyika, Zambia), where he would one day take his young sons Elon and Kimbal, so you can imagine the level of success/wealth he had - probably on the order of $20M USD.

:thermidor:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i can easily believe that thiel is precious about his daily transfusions and allows his misogyny to dictate that no femoidblood shall ever be used to sustain him

I bet there's a westworld-looking office where he makes candidates strip down and asks them weird questions like a horny voight kampf test

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Waterkloof sounds like some new and exciting furry fetish

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

one day elon will finally invent his crowning achievement, a robotic wife that doesn't talk back at him when he needs her to show up and be a pretty object to validate his self image

Update: muskwife 3.0 keeps exploding during testing

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

im the bragging that a ticket to mars will only cost a mere half million dollars before lone skum dies

you see, it will be such a valuable thing that people will gladly do whatever it takes for a ticket, much like old colonialism

there will probably even be financing offered, perhaps with some number of years of employment for the financier at the destination, a kind of indentureship

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

:barf:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

jfc

vince mcmahon had a hard life

loving emerald mines

really

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

Update: muskwife 3.0 keeps exploding during testing

that scene from robocop w/ the prototypes but it's thiel and the musker in labcoats getting shot before muskwife robotically screams and tears its comically large boobs off

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

lancemantis posted:

you see, it will be such a valuable thing that people will gladly do whatever it takes for a ticket, much like old colonialism

there will probably even be financing offered, perhaps with some number of years of employment for the financier at the destination, a kind of indentureship

calling it now: the next bioshock game will be set on a martian colony

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

loving emerald mines

slaves were on the bottom now we here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

one day elon will finally invent his crowning achievement, a robotic wife that doesn't talk back at him when he needs her to show up and be a pretty object to validate his self image

and when he gets tired of it, launch it into space

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that scene from robocop w/ the prototypes but it's thiel and the musker in labcoats getting shot before muskwife robotically screams and tears its comically large boobs off

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

jfc

vince mcmahon had a hard life

loving emerald mines

really

come son, i will teach you the meaning of hard work by having you gather the precious jewels from the family treasure hoard

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

haveblue posted:

and when he gets tired of it, launch it into space

i'm wondering if someone tried to tell him the story of that rich guy who said he'd bury a bentley to protest organ donation and everyone now thinks he's a good person with good ideas, but ole musky just got bored and wasn't listening to the middle part

burying a car = famous for good
people like space
spacing a car = extra famous for good

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEweP2TiMk

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

but 0.99999... = 1 :spergin:

actually it's off by 0.0000.....001, important to be precise bc nothing travels at 1*c, it's a law in physics

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

come son, i will teach you the meaning of hard work by having you gather the precious jewels from the family treasure hoard

alzo we don go into de mine that's what de blicks are for

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

The_Franz posted:

red faction

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

i wouldn't be surprised if his "job" was being like a secretary more or less

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

i'd play that

(it was called red faction iirc)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

like vince doesn't not exactly like to make it public, but his dad (vince sr) divorced his mom right around the time he was born, and she got custody

vince spent his early life growing up as white trash in trailer parks in the south and getting beaten by his step fathers and being sexually molested by relatives

that's a hard life

emerald mines

loving really

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

actually it's off by 0.0000.....001, important to be precise bc nothing travels at 1*c, it's a law in physics

*looks at photons*

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if his "job" was being like a secretary more or less

i mean i think it says he was 9 at the time so probably more like "pick up the emeralds that fall out after this super low wage employee hits the rocks with a pick"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

emerald mines

loving really

it's cool though because he can say "i was the son of a miner" and be not technically lying

working in the mine, owning the mine, what's the difference?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

exploded mummy posted:

like vince doesn't not exactly like to make it public, but his dad (vince sr) divorced his mom right around the time he was born, and she got custody

vince spent his early life growing up as white trash in trailer parks in the south and getting beaten by his step fathers and being sexually molested by relatives

that's a hard life

emerald mines

loving really

and now his wife is a cabinet member of the trump administration

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
father musk was basically a James Bond villain as written by Fleming; Elon is a Bond villain who's only ever watched the movies

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

that story makes me uncomfortable

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and now his wife is a cabinet member of the trump administration

technically the sba is only cabinet level

also she's like the most invisible and one that has seemingly not hosed anything up so far

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cool startup feel posted:

that story makes me uncomfortable

it should, he's a loving weirdo

he later would follow around amber heard (15 years his junior) for like 2 years until she gave in and married him, then divorced him a year later, then married him again, and now i think is getting divorced again, while he complains to rolling stone that he's just a sad sack who's unlucky in love

another fun anecdote

quote:

According to Vance, the assistant, Mary Beth Brown, asked Musk for a significant raise after she’d been working with him for 12 years. In response, Musk told Brown to take two weeks off, during which he would assume her responsibilities and see whether she was critical to his success.

When Brown returned, Musk told her he didn’t need her anymore.

Musk also told Vance that he offered Brown another position at the company but that she never returned to the office after that.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

exploded mummy posted:

*looks at photons*

actually you cant look at photons, they're way too small for light to reflect off of :rolleyes:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

another fun anecdote

It's like they didn't get that the story of the Microsoft Secretaries* was a GOOD thing, for Microsoft and for everyone else.

(I'd include the Google Chef here but that is actually inaccurate, he was Michelin-starred restaurateur and sushi chef when Google hired him.)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also i just noticed that the chart says "building rockets from scratch"

you know, from scratch meaning first trying to buy russian rockets and then when that fell apart, grabbing a bunch of experienced aerospace personnel in a timeline where NASA has been cut to ribbons

Sagebrush posted:

he later would follow around amber heard (15 years his junior) for like 2 years until she gave in and married him, then divorced him a year later, then married him again, and now i think is getting divorced again, while he complains to rolling stone that he's just a sad sack who's unlucky in love

another fun anecdote

im sure his evaluation was based on "well I'm still working I guess and I'm not poor so I didn't really need that assistant"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

exploded mummy posted:

technically the sba is only cabinet level

also she's like the most invisible and one that has seemingly not hosed anything up so far

administrator of the sba appears to have been made a cabinet member by obama

thanks obama

the only two things i can find is that she did a big tour touting the giant tax cut for rich people and has tried to have her hand in the botched disaster relief by pushing small business loans

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i also get the vibe that if a man in a similar position had asked for a raise, elon would have given it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

administrator of the sba appears to have been made a cabinet member by obama

thanks obama

the only two things i can find is that she did a big tour touting the giant tax cut for rich people and has tried to have her hand in the botched disaster relief by pushing small business loans

isn't embezzling SBA loans a proud american tradition?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

what was that line from count zero? where the art historian character realizes that the super ultra rich arent even remotely human?

yeah

e: “And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human.”

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

what was that line from count zero? where the art historian character realizes that the super ultra rich arent even remotely human?

yeah

e: “And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human.”

that's also a theme in the first altered carbon book that they tried to embellish upon in the new show

quote:

“Ah, go ahead. What the gently caress do you know about it anyway? Bancroft’s not people like you and me. He’s a loving Meth.”
“A Meth?”
“Yeah. A Meth. You know, and all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years. He’s old. I mean, really old.”
“Is that a crime, lieutenant?”
“It should be,” said Ortega grimly. “You live that long, things start happening to you. You get too impressed with yourself. Ends up, you think you’re God. Suddenly the little people, thirty, maybe forty years old, well they don’t really matter any more. You’ve seen whole societies rise and fall, and you start to feel you’re standing outside it all, and none of it really matters to you. And maybe you’ll start snuffing those little people, just like picking daisies, if they get under your feet.”

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

shaggar plz weigh in

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/BL-CIOB-13536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cant read that article but I read it somewhere else. clothing telemetry alone is pretty weird but idk why you'd tie it to a crypto currency