Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Why are most of the young dude stars nowadays just the ugliest motherfuckers of all time?

Post your mug.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Why are most of the young dude stars nowadays just the ugliest motherfuckers of all time?
It's just the white ones

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

3/3 for a no casting cost Jaeger is not bad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

Post your mug.

even if i, myself, am ugly, that doesn't mean Alden Ehrenreich and Dane DeHaan and Miles Teller aren't loving strange looking

Miles Teller looks like someone took WCW era David Arquette and stuck him in the microwave

Parachute
May 18, 2003
im 100% fine with more strange-looking people being famous movie stars

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

At least I can understand that the strange looking stars got big for being good actors, instead of trash people like Logan and Jake Paul who got big for being “attractive”

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I'll take people who are kinda odd-looking (Miles Teller, Adam Driver) but dope actors to waiting until Keanu Reeves, Paul Walker or Josh Hartnett turned into dope actors.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
See you hosed up on that one, Keanu Reeves is a very good actor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Basebf555 posted:

See you hosed up on that one, Keanu Reeves is a very good actor.

He is. He's great. Paul Walker was developing into a really good actor and Hartnett's pretty good now too. But there are a lot of early roles that they totally bomb because they took some time to get there.

But you're right, something like Kellan Lutz, Liam Hemsworth or Chris O'Donnell might be a better example.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
matthew mcconaughey is like the king of that category

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think Dane DeHaan is attractive in a weird sort of way. Miles Teller is just weird looking though. His face really irritates me for some reason. I just have some sort of visceral dislike over it, which is kind of unfortunate because he’s a pretty good actor.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In what world is Ehrenreich ugly. There's a case to be made about some actors here but he's not one of them.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

He's not. The Han Solo haircut on him is just kinda unflattering.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

He is. He's great. Paul Walker was developing into a really good actor and Hartnett's pretty good now too. But there are a lot of early roles that they totally bomb because they took some time to get there.

But you're right, something like Kellan Lutz, Liam Hemsworth or Chris O'Donnell might be a better example.

I actually just misread your post as "turn into good actors", so I thought you were implying Reeves had not yet become good. Agreed too on Walker but as for Hartnett I've not seen Penny Dreadful yet to fully judge him.

I'm also a defender of Reeves' performance in Dracula but I'm sure that's a whole other can of worms.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

LesterGroans posted:

He's not. The Han Solo haircut on him is just kinda unflattering.
Yeah, I can agree on that, they've overdone it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Basebf555 posted:

I'm also a defender of Reeves' performance in Dracula but I'm sure that's a whole other can of worms.

He plays a very attractive, but overall boring foil to Gary Oldman's hot, brooding Dracula, so I think it's an appropriate performance.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Basebf555 posted:

I actually just misread your post as "turn into good actors", so I thought you were implying Reeves had not yet become good. Agreed too on Walker but as for Hartnett I've not seen Penny Dreadful yet to fully judge him.

Yeah, Penny Dreadful is what sold me on Hartnett. Unless he was cast well, like The Faculty, I thought he was dreadful in everything.

Reeves is definitely enjoyable in Dracula, and they did a much better job of slotting him into roles that suited him than other actors. But these days he actually brings a lot to a role. Knock Knock would be irredeemable without him.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Palpek posted:

Yeah, I can agree on that, they've overdone it.

Even though I'm not giddy about this movie, I'm excited that they are keeping the 70s mop on him.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Inzombiac posted:

Even though I'm not giddy about this movie, I'm excited that they are keeping the 70s mop on him.
While Ford had a pretty goofy by today's standards 70s haircut in the movie, Ehrenreich's hair looks like a nicolas-cage-my-hair-is-a-bird.jpg version of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. Did the hair stylists from the Prequels all disappear? They did the transition to the proto-70s hair styles really well in Episode 3.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

even if i, myself, am ugly, that doesn't mean Alden Ehrenreich and Dane DeHaan and Miles Teller aren't loving strange looking

Miles Teller looks like someone took WCW era David Arquette and stuck him in the microwave

You're working through some issues.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nihonniboku posted:

:shrug:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Nihonniboku posted:

Vintersorg posted:

Post your mug.

Show us your issue-free mug, ideally while it's touching the ceiling.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Vintersorg posted:

Post your mug.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Palpek posted:

In what world is Ehrenreich ugly. There's a case to be made about some actors here but he's not one of them.

His looks are more similar to Paul Reiser than Harrison Ford.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What an uggo. Yeesh.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

What an uggo. Yeesh.

Please :nms: this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

What an uggo. Yeesh.

Jesus, spoiler that poo poo or something. I just ate my breakfast.

E: god damnit, fb. :argh:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

What an uggo. Yeesh.

And yet here he is in a candid photo from Comic-Con (timg'd for size). He's not ugly, but he is decidedly more pedestrian looking.

The fact of the matter is that most famous actors and models have distinctive facial features that could even be considered ugly if they were just some person walking down the street but with makeup and camera lighting those features can be accented/deaccented and make the person become striking and attractive. There are very few actors who look as good in real life candid photos as they do on screen (Henry Cavill springs to mind).

Also, attractiveness is subjective. I don't for the life of me understand what people see in Benedict Cumberbatch, dude looks like an Easter Island statue hosed a cat.

[Edit: also I think I'm an ugly-rear end looking motherfucker but my wife likes my face so good enough I guess!]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 9, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ok now that I actually have a good look at his face instead of it being partly obscured I can identify what makes him look so strange to me

it's the loving eyes and eyebrows

he's got like, almost a unibrow, but not quite, and the way his... eyebrow bones? kinda jut out makes his eyes look weird and sunken. other than that, dude's face is actually fine, if he plucked his eyebrows he'd be 90% of the way to looking better

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lmao

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005