Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's no way Venom is in any way up there with Spidey, I would bet 50% at most.

Just think of a wine mom. They would know Spidey. They would absolutely not know Venom. Expound out from there and you'll see that remains true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

I think most people of a certain age have at least some vague idea of who Venom is. Anyone older than, say, 40-45 would probably look at him and just think “What did they do to Spider-Man?”

Even if they're older than that, if they had kids that grew up during the 90s, they probably recognize Venom from the Spider-Man cartoon and SNES games and Marvel vs. Capcom and etc. They might not know him by name but they probably recognize him as the edgy black Spider-Man with the teeth and all the spittle.

(Now that I think about it, Marvel vs. Capcom probably did a lot to keep Venom in people's minds)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

My favourite part of every new superhero movie announcement is when fans immediately identify which storyline of which series is being adapted, down to like the individual issue.

Like oh poo poo; it’s set in Buffalo, NY! That means it’s the storyline of Pupular Peter Parker where Spiderman transforms into a dog and has to learn to live without his powers or human speech but then it’s revealed that Mysterio has merely used elaborate special effects to make Spiderman believe he’s two feet tall / quadrupedal until the end when MJ notices Peter’s new habit of sleeping at the end of the bed. You can see by the colour of his jacket in this promo shot that Spiderman is gearing up to say the fan-favourite line “doggone it! I have a bone to pick with Mysterio!” I can’t wait to finally see it happen, after all these decades.

But some parts are unfamiliar... Mysterio’s feet don’t look how I imagined they would look.... Looks like the clowns at Sony are gonna drop the ball again, but I’m optimistic.

Ah, you're referring to Amazing Spider-Man #437 of course.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m just talking about iconography. I’m sure people would have a vague idea who the toothy big eye guy is. His look is probably high up there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Even if they're older than that, if they had kids that grew up during the 90s, they probably recognize Venom from the Spider-Man cartoon and SNES games and Marvel vs. Capcom and etc. They might not know him by name but they probably recognize him as the edgy black Spider-Man with the teeth and all the spittle.

I think that’s overestimating how much parents notice or, more likely, retain about the media their kids consume. If you were to ask, say, my dad who Venom is, you’d get a blank stare, despite the fact that I was into comics when I was younger. I’m sure he’s seen Venom and heard me talk about him, but with that kind of stuff, for most parents it’s in one ear and out the other.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

I think that’s overestimating how much parents notice or, more likely, retain about the media their kids consume. If you were to ask, say, my dad who Venom is, you’d get a blank stare, despite the fact that I was into comics when I was younger. I’m sure he’s seen Venom and heard me talk about him, but with that kind of stuff, for most parents it’s in one ear and out the other.

I'm huge into Spider-Man and my wife didn't know who Venom was. She asked me yesterday when she heard about the trailer dropping so I guess she didn't pick up on anything about him in all the years we've been together. Oh well, we don't have any kids or major assets so the divorce should go pretty smoothly.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Superman, Batman, Spiderman and the Hulk are probably the only superheroes I would guarantee my 80 year father could name despite never reading a comic in his life.

Perhaps add Captain America and Wonder woman to that list if I really grilled him on it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I dunno I feel like you can abstract the spider logo, they're obviously using the eyes as more of the logo for the movie so they might just have some kind of white pattern to break up the black.

As far as the powers, wall crawling is a pretty standard monster power, and I feel like you can do Venom without specifically webswinging exactly like Spidey. You can still mimic some weblike behavior through the liquid tentacles and stuff lashing out and grabbing people. Again, that's not specifically a Spider-Man thing, Groot did basically that in GotG.

Feel like they might do the rorschach constantly shifting pattern thing for the body.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

yeah but if you went "y'know, the spider-man that's black and all gross-looking and has the teeth?" your dad would probably be like "OHHHHH THAT GUY"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah but if you went "y'know, the spider-man that's black and all gross-looking and has the teeth?" your dad would probably be like "OHHHHH THAT GUY"

More like
"YOU MEAN OBAMA AND HIS WEB OF LIES?!"

Vakal
May 11, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

At least Venom has an interesting gimmick. 90% of all other Spider-man villains pretty much follow the same pattern:

*average dude get into a science accident or makes a super suit.*

"Sweet, now I have vaguely animal themed powers. Time to use them irresponsibly and rob a bank or something."

*suddenly Spider-man swings in*

"Not on my watch, pal."

*villain shakes fists at him*

"Curse you, Spider-man!"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I guarantee you he would not. His knowledge of Spider-Man stops at the Paul Soles series, if even that (and he couldn’t tell you who Paul Soles was).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/961696034752667648

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I can't wait for the symbiote to mind meld with Eddie and appear to him as a sexy woman in a vision

edit: the symbiote is actually the Spider-Man of its planet

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lol Holy poo poo at Bay doing DC. Lobo is gonna be insane.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a pretty good match. Lobo is basically toxic masculinity incarnate, and so is Bay. It's going to be amazing satire whether intentional or not

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Bay seems like he's probably into some very weird poo poo, sexually.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's

Pretty perfect

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Actually he's an ephebophile look it up

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's a pretty good match. Lobo is basically toxic masculinity incarnate, and so is Bay. It's going to be amazing satire whether intentional or not

I used to think it was unintentional, but Pain & Gain is a good movie that knows exactly what it’s doing.

So this makes sense, is my point. I agree.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

inshallah

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Oh gently caress yeah.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bay stinks

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I never realized he looked so much like Henry Winkler

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Lol @ the idea that a company would follow an epic panic rejection of Snyder over e-nerd reactions by hiring Michael Bay

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Don't people go to Bay movies in droves despite their perceived quality or lack thereof?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Could we get a superhero movie in a Southwest setting for once?

Constantine

Xealot posted:

I used to think it was unintentional, but Pain & Gain is a good movie that knows exactly what it’s doing.

So this makes sense, is my point. I agree.

It'll really depend on who does the script. Bay with a bad script is intensely dull.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

hiddenriverninja posted:

Don't people go to Bay movies in droves despite their perceived quality or lack thereof?

Not so much anymore at least in America. The latest transformers didn't even do that great overseas

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Gatts posted:

Why is it always some brooding dude. Why can’t it be Chevy Chase and his fame went on vacation in San Fran and whoops symbiote happened.

I'd pay money for tickets to Fletch-Venom.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Not so much anymore at least in America. The latest transformers didn't even do that great overseas

Not great by Transformers standards by still cleared $600 million.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Burkion posted:

That's

Pretty perfect

Agreed. Jesus it's perfect. I hope to God they let Bay take the JL characters/actors too just because I want to see them handled by Bay.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ah, I see we're still wondering whether Bay deliberately made any of the 10 feature films he's made or if he somehow lucked into a two decade career.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snowman_McK posted:

Ah, I see we're still wondering whether Bay deliberately made any of the 10 feature films he's made or if he somehow lucked into a two decade career.

No, just whether they are meant as satire or not. They are successful for their aesthetic, bombasity, and spectacle either way, not for audiences going "Hmm ooh yes I see what he did there"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

Are you implying that he can't be toxic masculinity incarnate because his films are successful because :laffo:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Are you implying that he can't be toxic masculinity incarnate because his films are successful because :laffo:

No.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No, just whether they are meant as satire or not. They are successful for their aesthetic, bombasity, and spectacle either way, not for audiences going "Hmm ooh yes I see what he did there"

They are.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Lol @ the idea that a company would follow an epic panic rejection of Snyder over e-nerd reactions by hiring Michael Bay

Maybe they'll hire George Lucas next!!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lessail posted:

once again, inshallah

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Brother Entropy posted:

once again, inshallah

e: Thought you said T'challa. Disregard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lessail posted:

This would be incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.