Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ShaneB posted:

Are the retirements linked to the initial goal card pulls? Does retiring open a new class based on the goal card or the class of the original retired person? Is it a spoiler to know this?

Yes, the former and no, respectively.

Your character will only retire when you fulfill the details of your retirement card and that card will tell you what to do after you retire, which is generally opening a new class box.

What class you originally played is irrelevant to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So what happens if you use up all 24 retirement cards?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Mordiceius posted:

You have the option of making a new character whenever you visit Gloomhaven. It would basically mean you play your class until you feel like a change.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

According to the rules, if all the personal quests run out, new characters do not get one and they can never retire. But there would be nothing left to unlock at that point anyway.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Those two options sound dramatically different.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Because retiring is different from making a new character. You can make a new character without retiring your former one if you just want to try a different class.

Retiring means that that specific character with their items, gold, perks, etc is done forever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Could you, hypothetically, at that point have a couple characters you just switch between every time you return to Gloomhaven?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yeah, assuming they are in the same party. Downside being that the items they have purchased remain unavailable until they retire.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Because retiring is different from making a new character. You can make a new character without retiring your former one if you just want to try a different class.

Retiring means that that specific character with their items, gold, perks, etc is done forever.

I read it as you lose everything when you make a new character regardless - you just don't get the added bonus of unlocks/prosperity if you don't retire them. As such:

Mordiceius posted:

Could you, hypothetically, at that point have a couple characters you just switch between every time you return to Gloomhaven?

No. When you drop your current character, either through retirement or making a new one, they're gone forever. If you could stable characters like that, you'd effectively bar other players from taking all those classes, which would be kind of bullshit.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 8, 2018

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

FunkMonkey posted:

No. When you drop your current character, either through retirement or making a new one, they're gone forever. If you could stable characters like that, you'd effectively bar other players from taking all those classes, which would be kind of bullshit.

Where in the rules is that said? AFAIK both in the rule book and FAQ they just talk about creating a char whenever you want (in gloomhaven) and swapping already created chars in at will which would imply the opposite.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

FunkMonkey posted:

I read it as you lose everything when you make a new character regardless - you just don't get the added bonus of unlocks/prosperity if you don't retire them. As such:

...why can't you just use a different character sheet? Is there a specific rule that bars you from having two different Craghearts or Spellweavers in Gloomhaven?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Let me put this a different way. When I started my campaign, we had a Cragheart, a Spellweaver, a Tinkerer and a Mindthief. The Mindthief's player isn't in town anymore and someone just made a new Mindthief.

By your logic, if my first player comes back, he can't use his character again because...someone else make another character? So his is just gone forever?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Some Numbers posted:

Let me put this a different way. When I started my campaign, we had a Cragheart, a Spellweaver, a Tinkerer and a Mindthief. The Mindthief's player isn't in town anymore and someone just made a new Mindthief.

By your logic, if my first player comes back, he can't use his character again because...someone else make another character? So his is just gone forever?

Really the only two things that are restricted are you can only have one of a given class going on a scenario at once (obviously), and items are limited if you're not going to delete the character, the items he's holding are not in the general supply.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

If that's how you want to handle it, by all means, but due to the rule that no two players can play the same class at once, if your friend comes back and wants to resume, someone needs to back down and relinquish their Mindthief.

It seems like a logistical nightmare and has potential for ill will as classes become time locked and items are held in stasis and can't be repurchased, but I understand you can do it that way, godspeed. I interpreted the rules as being more absolutist than that within a single party. I don't intend to have that as an option, personally.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Except that they don't, because we can only have four characters at a time anyway and three spots are already full, so the two Mindthieves could conceivably switch off.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Except that they don't, because we can only have four characters at a time anyway and three spots are already full, so the two Mindthieves could conceivably switch off.

Yes, but you're running into the risk of sparking a dispute if both players want to use their Mindthief for the same scenario. You'll have to determine who gets precedence and that can engender bad feelings.

Again, hypothetically there's nothing stopping you from stabling multiple characters like that, and if your group understands that compromise is necessary to that end, then go for it. I see it as too much potential for being problematic.

I'm not meaning to say you're wrong, and I apologize if it seemed that way. I'm just giving my view and the reasoning behind it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think what you're missing is that neither of those players will be around for the same Gloomhaven session, because our group is solidified as a consistent 3 plus a flex slot.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I think what you're missing is that neither of those players will be around for the same Gloomhaven session, because our group is solidified as a consistent 3 plus a flex slot.

I did miss that, and was thinking of a more stable 4 person group like mine. If people flexibly leave and replace that last slot, then I could see it being more realistic and feasible, and if they're never in the same session then it's totally fine, just a bit of a chore to manage. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

The only thing then is that I would probably house rule some flexibility on item ownership so that certain items don't risk being long-term out of circulation.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 8, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

CaptainRightful posted:

According to the rules, if all the personal quests run out, new characters do not get one and they can never retire. But there would be nothing left to unlock at that point anyway.

I hadn't realized how much of a race it is to unlock things since you get a free perk for every character you've previously retired and there is a limited number of unlocks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

I hadn't realized how much of a race it is to unlock things since you get a free perk for every character you've previously retired and there is a limited number of unlocks.

Sure, but there's only so many perks and you get to start at the level of the city's prosperity.

My team's been doing everything we can to bump our prosperity and we hit 3 right as we retired our first character, so I get to start a level 3 character with 3 perks. Assuming it takes long enough to retire the next one, I could start my third character at level 4 with 5 perks.

If you open all the content in the box and get Gloomhaven to max Prosperity, you get to start with a level 9 character with a minimum of 8 and probably more like 12-14 perks, which is almost all the ones that they have access to.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

If you open all the content in the box and get Gloomhaven to max Prosperity, you get to start with a level 9 character with a minimum of 8 and probably more like 12-14 perks, which is almost all the ones that they have access to.

When they say prosperity increases it really just means gyms open up all over Gloomhaven. It becomes a metropolis where asking if you even lift triggers nothing more than a blank stare.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Remember that even with no retirement perks, each character can still get 14 through level ups and battle goals. Retirement perks just get you there a little bit sooner.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jabor posted:

Remember that even with no retirement perks, each character can still get 14 through level ups and battle goals. Retirement perks just get you there a little bit sooner.

Which gets you all but one available perk, unless unlocked classes have more than 15, which seems unlikely?

Retirement free perks are mostly there to give the new character a boost since they missed several levels of battle goals.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

For my group we've been leaving character cards and purchased items in their relevant boxes, even when one guy switched from the Mindthief to the Cragheart, and when the Spellweaver has only been able to get to a single session so far. It's just easier for me to imagine the roster as a single guild, like it's Might+Magic or something. We're not really going overboard on items and it makes setup much faster.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stelas posted:

For my group we've been leaving character cards and purchased items in their relevant boxes, even when one guy switched from the Mindthief to the Cragheart, and when the Spellweaver has only been able to get to a single session so far. It's just easier for me to imagine the roster as a single guild, like it's Might+Magic or something. We're not really going overboard on items and it makes setup much faster.

My Spellweaver has something like 8 items. Goggles, Power Potion, Stamina Potion, Mana Potion, Robe of Pockets, Piercing Bow and just recently Stun Powder.

I probably forgot one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I just look at item quantities as the maximum that can go into one dungeon.

There's 5 of us but no more than 4 play at once. Kinda dumb to prevent all 5 from buying stamina potions imo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

FunkMonkey posted:

It seems like a logistical nightmare and has potential for ill will as classes become time locked and items are held in stasis and can't be repurchased, but I understand you can do it that way, godspeed. I interpreted the rules as being more absolutist than that within a single party. I don't intend to have that as an option, personally.

What I meant with my retirement question -

Let's say I'm in a campaign and it is just me and one other player. We have currently run out of personal quests. I am playing a cragheart and they are playing a tinkerer. What are our options?

A - I am stuck as a cragheart and they are stuck as a tinkerer forever.
B - I can go back to Gloomhaven and create a spellweaver, but I have to essentially "delete" my cragheart.
C - I can go back to Gloomhaven and create a spellweaver, and my cragheart is just "put in reserve" with all of the items, allowing me to come back and switch to them if I ever want.

My assumption was C.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

I just look at item quantities as the maximum that can go into one dungeon.

That's the official way to play it, yeah, it's just easier for us to keep it with the character boxes rather than hunt through the town inventory at the start of each map.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
C is fine. Even if retirement quests were still available, you could still swap out at will.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Let's say I'm in a campaign and it is just me and one other player. We have currently run out of personal quests. I am playing a cragheart and they are playing a tinkerer. What are our options?

B - I can go back to Gloomhaven and create a spellweaver, but I have to essentially "delete" my cragheart.
C - I can go back to Gloomhaven and create a spellweaver, and my cragheart is just "put in reserve" with all of the items, allowing me to come back and switch to them if I ever want.

My assumption was C.

We were arguing between B and C, A was never a consideration. You can always make a new character in Gloomhaven anyway, so you could definitely still do that after you run out of quests.

As for B vs C, that's apparently a judgment call.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mordiceius posted:

My assumption was C.
I'd say whichever is most enjoyable for your group. None of these seem like they'd cause serious game balance concerns, only potential logistical ones if you swap them back in.

Seriously, why even reserve all the items? Like, why prevent Sammy Spellweaver from buying a stamina potion just because Craig Hart the Cragheart bought one at level one but their player got a new job which blocks them from playing as much anymore?

e:

Stelas posted:

That's the official way to play it, yeah, it's just easier for us to keep it with the character boxes rather than hunt through the town inventory at the start of each map.
Whew. Way everyone was talking, I was worried. I was going to keep doing it this way, mind you, but still.

Game rules should serve the people playing it, is kinda where I'm coming from. And if you're a bunch of adults with kids and jobs and the like, it was just a bit silly.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 9, 2018

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I thought C was how the rules read.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

OmegaGoo posted:

I thought C was how the rules read.

Same

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
I mean the rules cover this explicitly.

Gloomhaven Rules Page 42 posted:

The first step in any character’s story is creation. Players will create new characters when they first start playing the game, when they retire an old character and wish to continue playing, or pretty much whenever they want to try something new.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The question isn't "can you make a new character" it's "if you do, can you keep your old one or do you have to rip up the character sheet?"

According to FunkMonkey, it's the latter.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 9, 2018

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
The game came in the mail yesterday. I’m currently deciding how to organize things better.

I found the envelope under the tray. Since I’m playing it with my pandemic team I’m tempted to cross out the open condition and write “open when you fail four scenarios in a row”. Good chance it never opens if I do this though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Did anybody play the No Pun Included scenario?

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I found the envelope under the tray. Since I’m playing it with my pandemic team I’m tempted to cross out the open condition and write “open when you fail four scenarios in a row”. Good chance it never opens if I do this though.

Yeah you're don't really get in a position where you have to beat your head against the same scenario over and over.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

The question isn't "can you make a new character" it's "if you do, can you keep your old one or do you have to rip up the character sheet?"

According to FunkMonkey, it's the latter.

That's what I believe, yes. However, I also agree with you that it's a judgment call and you should go with what you want and what your group is conducive to. Whatever works to make it fun.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 9, 2018

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

FunkMonkey posted:

That's what I believe, yes. However, I also agree with you that it's a judgment call and you should go with what you want and what your group is conducive to. Whatever works to make it fun.

This is exactly the point with this rule and pretty much everything associated with the legacy aspects. The core rules of how things work within the scenarios are what make the game so compelling. Outside of that, play the game in whatever way you find most enjoyable. It's a co-op game fercrissakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The one thing the rules don't really cover is if you can/how to reclaim personal goals of characters you're not interested in playing anymore. It doesn't really break anything to allow just taking an unwanted character out behind the woodshed to a nice farm upstate. Add one food to the market stall. This has no thematic significance, it's just a rule. After all, you could just drag them into a casual mode scenario with permadeath enabled and make them run out in front.