Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It would be hilarious, but George Lucas clearly hates directing. He didn't even want to direct Phantom Menace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Paul Verhoven for something please.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gatts posted:

Paul Verhoven for something please.

Imagine his version of Deadpool.

Alternately:

:v: "SHAZAM!"

:psypop:

:tutbutt:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

My favourite part of every new superhero movie announcement is when fans immediately identify which storyline of which series is being adapted, down to like the individual issue.

Like oh poo poo; it’s set in Buffalo, NY! That means it’s the storyline of Pupular Peter Parker where Spiderman transforms into a dog and has to learn to live without his powers or human speech but then it’s revealed that Mysterio has merely used elaborate special effects to make Spiderman believe he’s two feet tall / quadrupedal until the end when MJ notices Peter’s new habit of sleeping at the end of the bed. You can see by the colour of his jacket in this promo shot that Spiderman is gearing up to say the fan-favourite line “doggone it! I have a bone to pick with Mysterio!” I can’t wait to finally see it happen, after all these decades.

But some parts are unfamiliar... Mysterio’s feet don’t look how I imagined they would look.... Looks like the clowns at Sony are gonna drop the ball again, but I’m optimistic.

wow how crazy that people would discuss what source material an adaption could potentially draw from like whooooa guys hold on now

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Michael Bay sounds perfect for Lobo, as long as the movie is not just an action movie but something more like Pain & Gain. Then again, he did make Transformers into more than just a robots vs robots movie.

Going back to Venom, I noticed that the Ultimate version did not even have the spider symbol, at least not at first.

Instead of a black version of Spider-Man's webs, he just has tentacles. The movie version might be more similar to this than the normal comic Venom.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'd probably be fine with a Venom without the spider motif. Still could do tentacles and be more animal like.

I could also go for the idea that Eddie is emulating Spider-Man and the symbiote creates a perverse parody of him.

I admit I don't actually "care" about Venom and am just saying it sounds like you could make an interesting monster movie with Venom without Spider-Man.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

Instead of a black version of Spider-Man's webs, he just has tentacles. The movie version might be more similar to this than the normal comic Venom.

Anecdotally, as someone who never got into comics but was aware of the character by virtue of being in middle school during the nineties, I had never made the connection between Venom's tendrils and Spider-Man's webs.

I just assumed Venom has them to further his gross slime aesthetic.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Then there's Anti-Venom, who's just made of cum

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I Before E posted:

Then there's Anti-Venom, who's just made of cum

aren't we all, though

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

aren't we all, though

*nods thoughtfully*

Makes you think

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

aren't we all, though

Well we're made from cum, but we're mostly made of water.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I Before E posted:

Well we're made from cum, but we're mostly made of water.

“UGLY BAGS OF MOSTLY WATER!”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

uh the saying isn't "young dumb and full of water" dude

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'd probably be fine with a Venom without the spider motif. Still could do tentacles and be more animal like.

I could also go for the idea that Eddie is emulating Spider-Man and the symbiote creates a perverse parody of him.

I admit I don't actually "care" about Venom and am just saying it sounds like you could make an interesting monster movie with Venom without Spider-Man.
Honestly I would have preferred if Tom Hardy was in a Darkness adaptation because the idea of Tom Hardy being a mafia don with two demon tendrils voiced by Mike Patton sounds really appealing to me

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug2aoVZYgaU&t=447s

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Here's some rumored spoilers about Venom

quote:

In San Francisco, alcoholic journalist Eddie Brock (Tom Hardy) is released from prison and reaches out to his ex-wife, lawyer Ann Weying (Michelle Williams), and their young daughter, but is rejected. While sleeping in the woods, Brock witness a space probe crash nearby, and an extraterrestrial symbiote bonds to him. Brock flees as the government-sponsored Life Foundation arrives to collect their damaged probe. They find two other symbiotes, one that bonds with Dr. Emerson Collins (Reid Scott) and apparently kills him.

Brock is captured and experimented on by Dr. Dora Skirth (Jenny Slate) at the behest of Dr. Carlton Drake (Rhiz Ahmed), CEO of the Life Foundation. but manages to escape with help from the symbiote, which tears through the facility. Brock returns to San Francisco and is sheltered by Ann, testing his new powers. Mercenaries led by Roland Treece (Scott Haze) locate him, and captured Ann and their daughter to force Brock to surrender. Brock is taken back to the Life Foundation, where Drake wants to vivisect him.

The other symbiote they’ve collected escapes from containment and bonds with Treece, creating a bloodthirsty monster that kills Drake and attempts to kill Ann and her daughter. Brock becomes Venom to fight and ultimately kill Treece. Brock briefly reunites with Ann and their daughter, but realizes he’s no longer human and flees to learn how to control his powers and perhaps use them for the greater good.

Back at the Life Foundation, the symbiote that had bonded to Collins springs awaken and escapes in search of a new host (Carnage).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember that Hybrid was a big deal for awhile in the Marvel Facebook game, but he was just nowhere in the comics.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 9, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This sounds like someone took the plots of Deadpool and the Ed Norton Hulk movie and put them in a blender (Ed Norton Hulk for the Tim Roth's Abomination is basically Carnage). Also sounds like someone took the edict "Make an R rated comic book movie like Deadpool" a little too literally.

Also, if I'm reading this right, there's a third symbiote?

edit: Oh, I didn't know there were more symboites beyond Venom and Carnage.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 9, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's one of those concepts that pretty much invites you to make a bunch of spin-off characters. Like how in Dungeons & Dragons there are three dozen types of dragon and giant.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i can very much see sony doing the obnoxious 'tease the only antagonist fans would actually want to see for the sequel they're already betting on' bit

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If those spoilers are accurate, I think it can make for a good movie.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That's the plot of Wolverine: Origins.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

thrawn527 posted:

edit: Oh, I didn't know there were more symboites beyond Venom and Carnage.

They are an alien race known as the Klyntar in the comics, who are something like the Green Lantern Rings except gross organics that bond to local hosts.

The Klyntar that is Venom was just insane when it arrived on Earth, and that insanity went further when it spawned Carnage and the other symbiotes we have comics about.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamn this Thor: Ragnarock deleted scene is so funny.

I'm pretty sure Thor 3 is my favorite Marvel movie :psyduck:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

josh04 posted:

That's the plot of Wolverine: Origins.
And Ant Man

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Goddamn this Thor: Ragnarock deleted scene is so funny.

I'm pretty sure Thor 3 is my favorite Marvel movie :psyduck:

The best part of every thor movie is when they go full epic fantasy prologue in both movies.That they managed to make tales about viking space raiders so dull is amazing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

Going back to Venom, I noticed that the Ultimate version did not even have the spider symbol, at least not at first.

I guess this makes senses since the symbiote can look like regular clothing/whatever, the only thing that's "the symbiote" that's common across all of them is the big toothy mouth/eyes and being goopy slime things. Venom's look was originally how it was because Spider-Man was using it as his costume straight up so it looked like the black costume he was wearing in the comics at the time normally, but I'm assuming for this movie they're excising a lot of that.

It being rejected by Spider-Man and Brock's career being ruined by Spider-Man's heroics/Peter Parker's reporting AND the symbiote knowing Spider-Man is Peter Parker is why it and Brock get along so effectively.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 9, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Venom honestly doesn't need to be connected to Spider-Man to work.. It does as a Spider-Man villain but outside of that "alien bio-suit that gives you amazing powers but ~at a cost~ and the person who struggles with it" doesn't really need to be tied to Spider-Man. You can ask why it needs to be Venom but the honest answer there is marketing and branding and the fact that a non-Venom hero/anti-hero who is that similar is probably just going to get compared to Venom anyway.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean you could just make another Guyver movie

Venom is basically a liquid Guyver as is

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
We'll never be lucky enough to get a good Guyver adaption in our lifetimes :sigh:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

We'll never be lucky enough to get a good Guyver adaption in our lifetimes :sigh:

Guyver Dark Hero is basically the best we're gonna get.

We're never going to get an 80s Ultra Violence Action Monster Slash Up film ever again sadly

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I guess in the best of all possible worlds, the success of Devilman: Crybaby leads to a new ultraviolent Netflix adaption, but even then I don't really trust Kadokawa to not do a bare minimum effort cash-in

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't help that the manga updates slower than loving Berserk.

Berserk is at least looking towards an eventual climax, the manga for the Guyver is just in stop motion animation at 5 frames a second.

That loving thing started at the same time as Dragon Ball. The Mega Smasher predates the Kamehameha

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The best guyver adaptation is Macgruber.

Oops, sorry, that was a MACguyver adaptation, different guy

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxquS8JYUuY

I want to see the movie that scene was from :smith:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lip doesn't look fake. Must be from the bad version of the movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Burkion posted:

Guyver Dark Hero is basically the best we're gonna get.

We're never going to get an 80s Ultra Violence Action Monster Slash Up film ever again sadly

I'm still hoping for a Cyber-City movie eventually.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

where does Woody Harrelson fit into this?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
At a certain point, you should be fitting your movie into Woody Harrelson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's easy with micro SD cards