Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Gloomhaven was $50 cheaper to pledge for though.

i was being facetious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hauki posted:

i was being facetious

Yeah I know, I'm just saying that competing with Gloomhaven on the value-per-dollar metric is gonna be a real hard act to follow, even if the game was actually somehow worth its asking price which I'm kind of doubtful.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They really hosed up by not including a Kickstarter exclusive gotta go fast Sonic figure.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That KS has an exclusive Sonichu :stare:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

What?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Hauki posted:

ah, a gloomhaven competitor

I got my gloomhaven for $64 though?

$150 for a Sonic game though is a bit nuts. It looks like a less wacky robo rally.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hauki posted:

ah, a gloomhaven competitor

There’s got to be an Invisible Sun.

E: Sunic?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Chill la Chill posted:

What, Super Sonic? He's nearly always in every Sonic game, but taking a series standard and making him KS-exclusive is definitely one way to push your campaign. :rolleyes:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Original Kickstarter DO NOT STEAL

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I guess I like being crushed by cardboard I back Neanderthal at the last minute.

CO2 is saved but the shipping is a killer, what are the odds it will be available at Boardgame Needz, CSI, or Miniature Market?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

I guess I like being crushed by cardboard I back Neanderthal at the last minute.

CO2 is saved but the shipping is a killer, what are the odds it will be available at Boardgame Needz, CSI, or Miniature Market?

It appears like they plan to have the game itself available at retail but there are a number of stretch goal items, including "expansions" (unclear what scope these have), that are marked as limited content. Not limited to the Kickstarter, specifically, and they haven't clarified precisely what that means yet, but you might well miss out on that stuff. Note that the shipping will be charged separately from the KS pledge and there will be a post-project pledge manager, if that helps.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

malkav11 posted:

It appears like they plan to have the game itself available at retail but there are a number of stretch goal items, including "expansions" (unclear what scope these have), that are marked as limited content. Not limited to the Kickstarter, specifically, and they haven't clarified precisely what that means yet, but you might well miss out on that stuff. Note that the shipping will be charged separately from the KS pledge and there will be a post-project pledge manager, if that helps.

I will wait and see how they clarify the limited content and if they address the shipping costs. The problem isn’t that I cannot afford the game, it’s that the shipping feels, sounds, or is unreasonable.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I'm not backing it because it won't line up nicely with the Eagle Gryphon Vital line :spergin:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

I'm not backing it because it won't line up nicely with the Eagle Gryphon Vital line :spergin:

Same artist, SUIAD. Also in Rahdo's run-through the prototype box they sent him the prototype game in is rectangular, not square.

I probably still wouldn't be backing CO2 if I couldn't collect it at Spiel, though.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Strongholds and Streaming looks like it will take the record for most raised for an RPG kickstarter. It's been on the market for a little over a day and is nearly in the number two spot. I assume this is mainly due to the guy's popularity on Youtube because a fairly focused 128 page sourcebook seems like a strange contender.

He also seems to be making a whole lot of first time KS mistakes such as including lots of T shirts and stickers. Hopefully his experience with Youtube will give him a leg up.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

I will wait and see how they clarify the limited content and if they address the shipping costs. The problem isn’t that I cannot afford the game, it’s that the shipping feels, sounds, or is unreasonable.

It's a lot, but shipping is kind of terrible in general in my experience. Just checking my Evil High Priest pledge, they ended up charging $25 in shipping. 7th Continent was $18.50. Darkest Night was $19. I don't think CO2's 15 euro is terribly out of line with that.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

malkav11 posted:

It's a lot, but shipping is kind of terrible in general in my experience. Just checking my Evil High Priest pledge, they ended up charging $25 in shipping. 7th Continent was $18.50. Darkest Night was $19. I don't think CO2's 15 euro is terribly out of line with that.

Amazon ruined me...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EverettLO posted:

Strongholds and Streaming looks like it will take the record for most raised for an RPG kickstarter. It's been on the market for a little over a day and is nearly in the number two spot. I assume this is mainly due to the guy's popularity on Youtube because a fairly focused 128 page sourcebook seems like a strange contender.

I wonder if that’ll be better than just porting the Reign organizational conflict mechanics to 5e.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

EverettLO posted:

He also seems to be making a whole lot of first time KS mistakes such as including lots of T shirts and stickers. Hopefully his experience with Youtube will give him a leg up.
Hmm... $42 after shipping is a bit much for my tastes... I would have pledged if it was in the $25-30 total range.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

EverettLO posted:

Yeah, it's kind of weird for a guy without a huge RPG credit to his name design-wise; I mean, it looks like he worked on some notable stuff from the 90s, but Last Unicorn Games isn't really remembered well for its rules design, and this seems to be largely just a big book of rules.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Matt Colville is loving huge in the world of D&D 5e. He's got his own following from his 'running the game' YouTube series, plus he's buddies with Matt Mercer (and writes the official Critical Role comic) so he's going to get a huge bump from there.

Having listened to a lot of Running the Game, I can say that the guy knows D&D inside-out and backwards, so his rules will probably be at least as good as the basic system. On the other hand he's got some serious tunnel vision when it comes to D&D (despite having played other RPGs) so they probably won't be vast improvements on the basic system.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The part where he's making big, expensive, multi-part minis with no experience in miniatures and doesn't even know if they're going to be plastic or resin yet seems like a cause for concern

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Guy Goodbody posted:

The part where he's making big, expensive, multi-part minis with no experience in miniatures and doesn't even know if they're going to be plastic or resin yet seems like a cause for concern

Never back a "minis by someone in the industry who's never made minis before but figures it can't be that hard" project. I think the Low Life Minis KS from years and years ago may still not have fully delivered.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I like Victory Point Games, but I knew enough about miniatures kickstarters to avoid the new minis for Darkest Night 2e.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think da share zone forgot about his kickstarter

Serf
May 5, 2011

I just got my City of Mist book and this is by far the heaviest RPG book I own. You could kill a man with this loving brick of a book.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serf posted:

I just got my City of Mist book and this is by far the heaviest RPG book I own. You could kill a man with this loving brick of a book.

I think Red Markets is mine.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Serf posted:

What percentage of a Ptolus would you say it is?

Serf
May 5, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

What percentage of a Ptolus would you say it is?

70% of a Ptolus. Probably 6-7 pounds of book

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ultimate Conspiracy looks fantastic, like a Mansions of Madness legacy game, with the big boxness of Gloomhaven. That price though... ouch.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The_Doctor posted:

Ultimate Conspiracy looks fantastic, like a Mansions of Madness legacy game, with the big boxness of Gloomhaven. That price though... ouch.

It's not just the price, it's $160 (not including shipping) for an extremely ambitious sounding game from a first-time designer without any gameplay videos or rulebooks for download. That's a whole bunch of red flags right there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Also shipping costs more to the EU than the US despite the project being based in France.

I think this is someone trying to do 7th Continent meets Gloomhaven, and I doubt it will be good. From the looks of it it's just a series of 2d6 rolls.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Legacy Tales of the Arabian Nights sure sounds cool as heck.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Would be interested except every female character is sexualised, and the one female NPC is too. Also it's 2018 and your female character has 'seduction' as their core defining skill, get hosed.

Too many games clearing that lowest-of-low bars to waste time on one that doesn't.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

13th Age Glorantha finally released a laid-out PDF along with the sourcebook. Well over two years late, but it's looking like a great read so far, and the art is gorgeous.

Ryuutama released a notice this morning that people backing at an art level will be getting a refund plus a bonus, or possibly a choice of a replacement artist, as the original artist ultimately couldn't fulfill her obligation. Given this is one of the rare TG kickstarters that left me feeling a little burned, this is good news. Honestly, I was less worried about my money and more just annoyed by the lack of communication despite my attempts to reach out to Kitkowski, but this is a good start and hopefully there will be solid follow-through.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

13th Age Glorantha finally released a laid-out PDF along with the sourcebook. Well over two years late, but it's looking like a great read so far, and the art is gorgeous.

How is it rules-wise? Are the classes interesting and balanced, or is it like 13A itself?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HazCat posted:

Would be interested except every female character is sexualised, and the one female NPC is too. Also it's 2018 and your female character has 'seduction' as their core defining skill, get hosed.

I didn't look at that, my core concerns were gameplay, shipping and cost. But I guess national stereotypes aren't dead yet.

Also in these modern times I'd rather have a female seducer than a male one.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

How is it rules-wise? Are the classes interesting and balanced, or is it like 13A itself?

I haven't had enough time to digest it on a class analysis level. It just released last night, but I wouldn't expect a sea change if that's your feeling on 13A. Most of the new classes seem pretty robust on a flip-through, but monks are the same as they ever were, and orlanthi and troll warriors seem pretty simplistic, though a little more complicated than the existing barbarian class.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
And then there's the trickster, who seems to have been made purposefully bad as a joke. (Though it does suggest just reskinning the Chaos Mage for a focused, less comedy option Eurmalite.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Jedit posted:

I didn't look at that, my core concerns were gameplay, shipping and cost. But I guess national stereotypes aren't dead yet.

Also in these modern times I'd rather have a female seducer than a male one.

"His only power is that you want to gently caress him" would at least be slightly novel. Even a caricature of James Bond would get a more even spread than "good at charisma, worse than everyone else at almost literally everything".