Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Housh posted:

Anything I should know before I start Resident Evil 7. I don't have PSVR and I'm a huge pussy when it comes to scary games. The last RE I played through was 4.

He can't follow you into safe rooms.

Blocking is way more effective than you'd think a forearm wearing a basic shirt would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Think carefully about your dealbreakers for long-term relationships
Is this advice for the game or in general? I agree it is important to set boundaries and be upfront in all relationships.

I know nothing of this game besides it's first person. It's starting to sound like a domestic violence simulator.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

There’s no such thing as capitalism under consumption ethical.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
I got a PS4 pro on Tuesday and I wish rest mode worked. It just goes into rest and then never wakes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like how confident non rest mode users are.

"oh yeah? Well I wear my shoes on my hands :smug:"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Housh posted:

Is this advice for the game or in general? I agree it is important to set boundaries and be upfront in all relationships.

I know nothing of this game besides it's first person. It's starting to sound like a domestic violence simulator.

Honestly my favorite aspect of that game was its exploration of the notion of family and reflecting on how well we really know the people closest to us.

But also yes blocking melee attacks with your bare hands is way more effective in this game than it might seem

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Halman posted:

I got a PS4 pro on Tuesday and I wish rest mode worked. It just goes into rest and then never wakes.

sorry about your depressed ps4

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

FAUXTON posted:

sorry about your depressed ps4

I'm hoping it'll get over it when spring comes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got to the final colossus and the jumping from parts of it to the other section is making me so loving angry lol. It’s either not jumping or jumping in a completely different direction from the one my stick is in. I’ve fallen off SO MANY TIMES NOW

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Halman posted:

:same:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Halman posted:

I'm hoping it'll get over it when spring comes.
Have you tried liquid vitamin D drops?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Your apathy is what feeds the capitalist machine :downsbravo:

Apathy is what the capitalist machine produces, not what it eats. It eats misdirected effort and concern, like trying to save the planet by avoiding rest mode on your PS4. You buy your PS4 made of precious oil and minerals sucked from the earth, feel good about turning it off, and then hop in your car and drive an hour to work in bumper-to-bumper-traffic. You cannot consumer purchase your way into an ethical life.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Escobarbarian posted:

Got to the final colossus and the jumping from parts of it to the other section is making me so loving angry lol. It’s either not jumping or jumping in a completely different direction from the one my stick is in. I’ve fallen off SO MANY TIMES NOW

Solution: When you get to its second arm, stab it in the hand. His arm will level out, allowing you to recover your grip, then fire the bow at its shoulder weak point to climb onto its head.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Solution: When you get to its second arm, stab it in the hand. His arm will level out, allowing you to recover your grip, then fire the bow at its shoulder weak point to climb onto its head.

On that note, are the non-sigil stab-able spots just there to basically level it out for a second (the ones that look like blue cracks)? And what's with the red mist around some of them? I don't remember that in the original game and it's not on all of them.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

acksplode posted:

Apathy is what the capitalist machine produces, not what it eats. It eats misdirected effort and concern, like trying to save the planet by avoiding rest mode on your PS4. You buy your PS4 made of precious oil and minerals sucked from the earth, feel good about turning it off, and then hop in your car and drive an hour to work in bumper-to-bumper-traffic. You cannot consumer purchase your way into an ethical life.

This

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I actually hadn’t even managed to get there by that point. At the time I was having a bigger issue with getting there from the left arm.

But done now!!!!! gonna watch this final cutscene where I bet it turns out me killing all those dudes wasn’t a good idea after all

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

acksplode posted:

drat rest mode crew is woke

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Offset the ecological footprint of your ps4 by guillotining the CEO of sony.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Rest mode is a half measure for soyboys who can’t decide if they want their console on or not. Make a commitment already.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I just turn it completely off because I have an unreliable power grid that may or may not shut down randomly :shrug:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I just turn it completely off because I have an unreliable power grid that may or may not shut down randomly :shrug:

If more people shut down their PS4 maybe your power grid would support you leaving your PS4 in rest mode.

Think about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm never going to have any kids and I don't fly anywhere so I'm allowed to leave my PS4 in rest mode

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fame Douglas posted:

I highly doubt rest mode, where the fan is constantly running from my observation, is going to lessen hardware deterioration compared to shutting the PS4 off. Thermal cycles are going to happen either way as soon as you're running a game. If anything, you're shortening the lifespan of the fan and chips (electromigration) at least by running in rest mode.

if the fan is running during rest mode you need to close an application or something cause that ain't supposed to happen unless it's downloading an update maybe

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

if the fan is running during rest mode you need to close an application or something cause that ain't supposed to happen unless it's downloading an update maybe

If you go straight from a high intensity game into rest mode it'll keep running for a bit while everything cools off. But yeah, it should stop pretty quickly and it's not normal for the fan to be running if it's been in rest mode for a relatively long time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

High intensity gaming is simply how I live my life. I guess you could say I never go into rest mode.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like my PS4 like I like my women: turned on instantly and ready to continue where I left off.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

exquisite tea posted:

High intensity gaming is simply how I live my life. I guess you could say I never go into rest mode.

Max Power doesn't put his console into rest mode! Max Power redlines the GPUs and fans just running his screensaver!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Lobok posted:

I like my PS4 like I like my women

You use them for 7 years then throw them out for the next toy?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Part of me wants to get MHW, because I keep hearing good things. The other part of me is worried it’ll turn out like Dark Souls, where I bounce off it really hard and am left very disappointed. Ditto with Kingdom Come: Deliverance. God these kinds of games need demos.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Lobok posted:

I like my PS4 like I like my women: turned on instantly and ready to continue where I left off.

I like my women like I like my PS4: constantly ejecting my disc when I try to play.

Wait....

I like my women like I like my Xbox 360: Red Ring of Death!

Umm...

I like my women like I like my Vita: unsupported and overpriced, with no memory.

Uh oh.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Monster Hunter had like three betas

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

fridge corn posted:

drat rest mode crew is woke

We rest mode guys are PS+ users because we are not filthy poor communists so shut up and go back to your coal mine!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Monster Hunter had like three betas

And I didn’t do any of them, because I hadn’t heard much about it then. I’d like to try it now that it’s out, but I can’t.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And I didn’t do any of them, because I hadn’t heard much about it then. I’d like to try it now that it’s out, but I can’t.

Do you have a Redbox nearby because they have it.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Is there a way to enable a push to talk function for my mic/headset combo? I hate that everyone has to listen to my wife yell at about how lazy I am.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

mhw is much more forgiving than dark souls imo, and i'm someone who never gave the series a shot until this entry.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pablo Gigante posted:

Do you have a Redbox nearby because they have it.

I always forget red boxes have games. There’s one by my job, I’ll rent it on monday.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SERPUS posted:

Is there a way to enable a push to talk function for my mic/headset combo? I hate that everyone has to listen to my wife yell at about how lazy I am.

Not for any of the stock Sony gear, you can get third party stuff with a mute switch.

Speaking of which, what's the best chat headset these days?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turtle beach 50p is cheap and cheerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

baram. posted:

mhw is much more forgiving than dark souls

not in the mid to late game