Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
You can try out DOFUS. It's good, but it eats batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Can someone recommend a game that you check up on every few hours and do quests/build stuff/whatever, and stuff happens in the background? I used to play Clash of Clans back in the day, but I only really enjoyed the building aspect, and not the combat part. Anything like that with decent production value and where you make some sort of progress over time, and where you only have to do stuff for a minute or two at a time would be great.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I mean, "doing stuff" is reduced to a few clicks, but Egg Inc. has exactly that ratio after a short-ish "intro" period where you have to spend a bit more. I click a few times, let my farm grow by itself for 4 hours, then click some more.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Final Fantasy 15: Pocket Edition, a chibified, demake of sorts of the original console game with streamlined gameplay (ie no open world, simplified combat) is out now on Android.

The game is split into 10 chapters; the first is free with the rest costing either 99 cents or $4 each depending on the chapter, or you can buy the whole thing for $20. In addition, to install all the chapters you'll need at least 5GB free in total, or 8GB if you opt for the hi res graphics. For me the initial download plus the first chapter was about 1.1GB.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 8, 2018

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sjonkel posted:

Can someone recommend a game that you check up on every few hours and do quests/build stuff/whatever, and stuff happens in the background? I used to play Clash of Clans back in the day, but I only really enjoyed the building aspect, and not the combat part. Anything like that with decent production value and where you make some sort of progress over time, and where you only have to do stuff for a minute or two at a time would be great.

If Clash of Clans clicked with you, Hay Day?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yeah, try Hay Day and its knockoffs, such as Township. They are basically single player, building-only CoC. There are some multiplayer/competitive modes, but they are optional. And even if you participate in multiplayer the goals are like "produce the most wool coats this week", and other players can never come in and wreck your coat factory or anything like that.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 8, 2018

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
For anyone playing Battle of Polytopia, its apparently getting cross platform online multiplayer next week.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

mrkillboy posted:

For anyone playing Battle of Polytopia, its apparently getting cross platform online multiplayer next week.

I must have missed this game when it was first released. It looks fantastic. Look forward to trying it out.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition is crazy. Having played the console version, it's really crazy how closely the opening to this mirrors it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah, try Hay Day and its knockoffs, such as Township. They are basically single player, building-only CoC. There are some multiplayer/competitive modes, but they are optional. And even if you participate in multiplayer the goals are like "produce the most wool coats this week", and other players can never come in and wreck your coat factory or anything like that.

Regarding these kinds of games, what would people suggest are the 'best' ones? Would you say Township/Hay Day are the ones to get?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Regarding these kinds of games, what would people suggest are the 'best' ones? Would you say Township/Hay Day are the ones to get?

Between Hay Day, Township, and Farmville, Hay Day feels more polished and balanced. Not that you won't be grinding to make progress, but that's all F2P games.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition is crazy. Having played the console version, it's really crazy how closely the opening to this mirrors it.

Is combat turn based or just a slimmed down version of console? Is the story presented more clearly than in the actual game?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Nephzinho posted:

Is combat turn based or just a slimmed down version of console? Is the story presented more clearly than in the actual game?

It's real time, top down action RPG style combat. If you've played Cat Quest the movement and combat is very similar; you tap on an enemy and Noctis will auto attack, and he'll keep attacking if there are any more enemies nearby. There's on screen buttons to swap weapons and use magic, and occasionally a timed button prompt will flash up for dodge and parry moves. Initially the combat is a breeze but by the end of the first chapter they throw in some enemies which offer a much greater challenge.

I haven't played the console version but the game seems focused on the main plot and moves along quite quickly, and there seems to be very few side missions. The first chapter ends when you find out the king is dead and I reached that point in maybe just over an hour of playing.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 10, 2018

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Does it have the car pushing opening? Because I instantly fell in love with the game because of that.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Push El Burrito posted:

Does it have the car pushing opening? Because I instantly fell in love with the game because of that.

I don't know if it's the same, but there is car-pushing.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Polyseme posted:

I don't know if it's the same, but there is car-pushing.

Yes, it's the exact same intro with the exact same dialogue. It's the same game (aside from the combat) only chibi-fied and it's kind of amazing.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Knowlue posted:

Nice. Do you have any tips for that game? I'm actually so loving bad at it

Depends on where you're getting stuck I think.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mrkillboy posted:

It's real time, top down action RPG style combat. If you've played Cat Quest the movement and combat is very similar; you tap on an enemy and Noctis will auto attack, and he'll keep attacking if there are any more enemies nearby. There's on screen buttons to swap weapons and use magic, and occasionally a timed button prompt will flash up for dodge and parry moves. Initially the combat is a breeze but by the end of the first chapter they throw in some enemies which offer a much greater challenge.

I haven't played the console version but the game seems focused on the main plot and moves along quite quickly, and there seems to be very few side missions. The first chapter ends when you find out the king is dead and I reached that point in maybe just over an hour of playing.

I played the console version, sounds like there isn't enough different here to warrant playing through "again". Interested to hear impressions - the main plot was pretty bad on console but the road trip bromance was great.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I played the console version, sounds like there isn't enough different here to warrant playing through "again". Interested to hear impressions - the main plot was pretty bad on console but the road trip bromance was great.

I feel like they missed a prime opportunity to make this an alternate-world storyline where different driving events of the story take place, allowing Noctis and gang to wander the country for a different reason, and not having to go through the final bland chapters of the game.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Seeing a hundred ads for that weird FFXV game of war styled game killed all interest I had in anything related to that game.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Morpheus posted:

all of these games are bad and imo should not be allowed to exist in the form(s) they do today. almost every system in them has at least one element that takes advantage of known aspects of human psychology, and thus (again imo) an ideal, just society would ban them

*cough*

that said i have only played hay day and township. of the two, township is clearly a ripoff of hay day, but you may prefer it based on differences in the UI or minor mechanics variations. if there was a game like these for mobile that didn't have disgusting IAP inducements around every corner i would play the heck out of it and give money to the developers, but alas

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

/\ all true

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Between Hay Day, Township, and Farmville, Hay Day feels more polished and balanced. Not that you won't be grinding to make progress, but that's all F2P games.

I found Township to be the least pay to play of the three. Hay Day starts off ok but you hit a pretty bad wall after awhile.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agoat posted:

Seeing a hundred ads for that weird FFXV game of war styled game killed all interest I had in anything related to that game.

See when I saw a Final Fantasy city builder I was super interested then I saw it was just a reskin of Game of War.

I'd be okay with a microtransaction hell hole if it was just timers and building but once pvp gets involved I check out

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Grand Summoners was released last week globally. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.goodsmile.grandsummonersglobal_android&hl=en I read somewhere that it's made by the original creator of Brave Frontier. You can definitely see the smiliarities, but it has an active battle system instead of a turn system like BF. The pool of characters is small starting out, but rerolling is very fast as you can skip the tutorial and immediately go into 2 x 11 pulls. Takes like 1-2 minutes. Overall fun, but has a lot of catching up to JP progress like most mobile games.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zotix posted:

Grand Summoners was released last week globally. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.goodsmile.grandsummonersglobal_android&hl=en I read somewhere that it's made by the original creator of Brave Frontier. You can definitely see the smiliarities, but it has an active battle system instead of a turn system like BF. The pool of characters is small starting out, but rerolling is very fast as you can skip the tutorial and immediately go into 2 x 11 pulls. Takes like 1-2 minutes. Overall fun, but has a lot of catching up to JP progress like most mobile games.

drat, not available in my region.

Been looking for another Gacha addiction.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Zotix posted:

Grand Summoners was released last week globally.

m.hache posted:

So your not on this globe? Or are you a flat-earther so you don't think it is a globe?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Apparently Canada is not on earth as we know it, as I can't get it either

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Canada got jettisoned into space months ago but nobody noticed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Push El Burrito posted:

Canada got jettisoned into space months ago but nobody noticed.

gently caress, it would explain the goddamned cold :negative:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

So your not on this globe? Or are you a flat-earther so you don't think it is a globe?

I subscribe that the earth is a Tetrahedron.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I think it's just a US launch cause it's not available in my non Canadian region as well.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Ya, i'm not sure. https://apkpure.com/grand-summoners/jp.goodsmile.grandsummonersglobal_android You can download from there at APKpure.

If you pick it up, add me as a friend. 075524672

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 13, 2018

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is there something similar to wizardry or buriedbornes? Preferably free.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

m.hache posted:

Been looking for another Gacha addiction.

That's my cue to throw this particular hat into the ring!

King's Raid is currently celebrating their one year anniversary. I'm still enjoying this since its release, I think it's actually the longest I stuck with a gacha game yet.
It is a very polished game, the free to play experience is more than fair and the game's balance is suprisingly good. Every character is at least viable, some of the starting heroes even compete for BiS. Regular teams are made up by the trifecta of tank, heal and dps with a sprinkle of support/CC in the mix. The starting tank and heal characters are still used in the highest of content. There's no need for rerolling for that one particular SS pull at the start, you can straight up buy your favourite anime down the line with accumulated premium currency.

While it doesn't bring anything new to this particular style of game per se, the overall presentation, fluidity of animation and pacing of progress is heads and shoulders above most other things I tried in this field. Highlight for me is the amount of synergy you can get out of building particular teams. Every character can bring stuns, damage amps, enemy debuffs etc, mixing and matching these is in my opinion the heart of the game and what I personally enjoy most.

If this tickles any one's fancy, the first of three celebratory packages - called 'King's' is a reaaal good kickstart for game progress. No better time to check it out but now!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Zotix posted:

Ya, i'm not sure. https://apkpure.com/grand-summoners/jp.goodsmile.grandsummonersglobal_android You can download from there at APKpure.

If you pick it up, add me as a friend. 075524672

This doesn't work, just fyi, it is the wrong version of the app.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Zotix posted:

This game is pretty good and generous so far.

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

That's my cue to throw this particular hat into the ring!

King's Raid is currently celebrating their one year anniversary. I'm still enjoying this since its release, I think it's actually the longest I stuck with a gacha game yet.
It is a very polished game, the free to play experience is more than fair and the game's balance is suprisingly good. Every character is at least viable, some of the starting heroes even compete for BiS. Regular teams are made up by the trifecta of tank, heal and dps with a sprinkle of support/CC in the mix. The starting tank and heal characters are still used in the highest of content. There's no need for rerolling for that one particular SS pull at the start, you can straight up buy your favourite anime down the line with accumulated premium currency.

While it doesn't bring anything new to this particular style of game per se, the overall presentation, fluidity of animation and pacing of progress is heads and shoulders above most other things I tried in this field. Highlight for me is the amount of synergy you can get out of building particular teams. Every character can bring stuns, damage amps, enemy debuffs etc, mixing and matching these is in my opinion the heart of the game and what I personally enjoy most.

If this tickles any one's fancy, the first of three celebratory packages - called 'King's' is a reaaal good kickstart for game progress. No better time to check it out but now!

This game is also pretry good.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

This game is pretty good and generous so far.

Don't pull too much. There's an event starting tomorrow and it might be best to hold off pulling until then.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Got King's Raid, can someone give me a quick rundown on what's going on - there seem to be a few events happening all at once and it's a little overwhelming.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I've become very addicted to Polytopia. Is there anything like that that takes place over a longer time period. More Civ-like?

Or just more of the very similar? I'm tempted to write an app very much like Polytopia just with more options to fine tune units and increase the scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
King's Raid is also my new gatcha crack. Been playing for a few months now. When I started I had a hunt around the forums, but couldn't find any thread about, so forged my own way without any goons :(

If you need some info the beginner guide on Reddit were good when I was starting out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kings_Raid/comments/6zly6t/kings_raid_beginners_guide/