Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Khisanth Magus posted:

Isn't the majority/minority leaders just the people who have served the longest from each party.

No. They are choosen by the caucus. Which means...

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly I think the people crowing about "welp the Democrats are now up 8% in the polls so I guess the leftists are stupid" are pissing me off the most. It absolutely is missing the point of why we are supposed to want Democrats in office in the first place and they haven't exactly given good reasons to trust that NEXT time they are totally going to be good and not try to bargain away everything they can in the spirit of making their supposed adversaries happy.

I think most people agree that there is going to be some sort of swell in voter enthusiasm because Trump is just that obviously lovely but if they get a congressional majority in 2018 and then the Presidency in 2020 how does that help the Dreamers long term if they still aren't willing to break the filibuster for them??

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I didn't know any of this about Schumer. He is truly garbage

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the best things the Democratic Party leadership could do for the country is vow to step down from leadership positions after the elections. That should be a litmus test for the primary.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously even if you are the biggest moderate ever I don't understand how you look at these losers that are constantly humiliated by the joke that is Trump and not get pissed.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

Seriously even if you are the biggest moderate ever I don't understand how you look at these losers that are constantly humiliated by the joke that is Trump and not get pissed.

Actually mass deportations are good for the democrats.

If you don't see what's happening here and over the past few months then you'll be in for endless surprises.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Radish posted:

Honestly I think the people crowing about "welp the Democrats are now up 8% in the polls so I guess the leftists are stupid" are pissing me off the most. It absolutely is missing the point of why we are supposed to want Democrats in office in the first place and they haven't exactly given good reasons to trust that NEXT time they are totally going to be good and not try to bargain away everything they can in the spirit of making their supposed adversaries happy.

I think most people agree that there is going to be some sort of swell in voter enthusiasm because Trump is just that obviously lovely but if they get a congressional majority in 2018 and then the Presidency in 2020 how does that help the Dreamers long term if they still aren't willing to break the filibuster for them??

The Dems will kick the can down the road until another Republican monster gets elected, the Dems come back and win an election based on his/her unpopularity, then the cycle will repeat forever. We are all of us unwilling accelerationists unless something incredible happens to break the paradigm.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The average Dem loves the deadwood in the party. We're where we are because the average Democrat is a complete political dipshit with the memory of a concussed goldfish.

On the other hand, goldfish can remember who feeds them and respond accordingly so...

B B
Dec 1, 2005

I just called Pelosi's and Schumer's offices to let them know their lack of leadership on DACA was driving me away from voting in the midterms. Schumer's staffer sounded pretty disinterested. Pelosi's staffer's response: "But she voted against it. :cry:"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

B B posted:

I just called Pelosi's and Schumer's offices to let them know their lack of leadership on DACA was driving me away from voting in the midterms. Schumer's staffer sounded pretty disinterested. Pelosi's staffer's response: "But she voted against it. :cry:"

For every one of you Schumer loses he's picking up two Republicans in the suburbs. :shepicide:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Feldegast42 posted:

Oh for Gods sake vote, and when you aren't voting then get involved in activism and clearing out the deadwood in the democratic party. Not voting changes nothing and perpetuates the current situation even more than voting for the dems

don’t vote for quislings and collaborators

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Office Pig posted:

Actually mass deportations are good for the democrats.

If you don't see what's happening here and over the past few months then you'll be in for endless surprises.

This whole thing makes me want to cry in frustration.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radish posted:

This whole thing makes me want to cry in frustration.

its almost like capitalism inevitably devolves into fascism or something

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

The Dreamers will already be gone so there will be no need to do anything for them, and the Democrats will have already benefited politically from scenes on TV of white supremacist goons tearing families apart and shipping people who have lived here all their conscious lives to lands that are totally foreign to them where many of them will commit suicide, so job well done everyone!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

The Dreamers will already be gone so there will be no need to do anything for them, and the Democrats will have already benefited politically from scenes on TV of white supremacist goons tearing families apart and shipping people who have lived here all their conscious lives to lands that are totally foreign to them where many of them will commit suicide, so job well done everyone!

Democrats are so politically inept they will gently caress up that messaging and then Trump says "you guys voted to let me do this" which Republicans are in favor of anyway.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If D&D liberals gave a loose poo poo about the Dreamers, they'd be clamoring to primary Joe Manchin for dicking them over when Dems had a supermajority and could pass a citizenship bill anytime they wanted because nothing will ever be done for the Dreamers as long as racist assholes like Manchin have a place in the party, but for some reason they're only concerned with shouting down his primary challenger who is the Dreamers' only hope if we ever get a supermajority again because she would help them instead of stabbing them in the back
Hm it's almost like they don't care about Dreamers at all beyond using them as a tool to help their team beat the other team at team politics sports.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

If D&D liberals gave a loose poo poo about the Dreamers, they'd be clamoring to primary Joe Manchin for dicking them over when Dems had a supermajority and could pass a citizenship bill anytime they wanted because nothing will ever be done for the Dreamers as long as racist assholes like Manchin have a place in the party, but for some reason they're only concerned with shouting down his primary challenger who is the Dreamers' only hope if we ever get a supermajority again because she would help them instead of stabbing them in the back :thunk:

the quislings have no desire to oust one of their own

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

Democrats are so politically inept they will gently caress up that messaging and then Trump says "you guys voted to let me do this" which Republicans are in favor of anyway.

Yeah this is a good point, in fact Trump has already tweeted "Dems won't do anything to help the Dreamers, no point voting for them" and it will work to depress the vote because it is 100% true and accurate.

Also see: "black wealth got destroyed under the Democrats, so what have you got to lose"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

If D&D liberals gave a loose poo poo about the Dreamers, they'd be clamoring to primary Joe Manchin for dicking them over when Dems had a supermajority and could pass a citizenship bill anytime they wanted because nothing will ever be done for the Dreamers as long as racist assholes like Manchin have a place in the party, but for some reason they're only concerned with shouting down his primary challenger who is the Dreamers' only hope if we ever get a supermajority again because she would help them instead of stabbing them in the back
Hm it's almost like they don't care about Dreamers at all beyond using them as a tool to help their team beat the other team at team politics sports.

They have recently shifted from "Manchin is a necessary evil we need in order to maintain control of the Senate which is required in order to gain majority power in the USA's broken political system" to "actually Manchin is good" which is loving poo poo.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

don’t vote for quislings and collaborators

This. Your vote, even if done reluctantly, grants legitimacy to the agenda of the person you vote for. Don’t give that legitimacy to corporate hacks pushing Republican ideas.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Maybe we should focus on the R from WV before we try to oust the D. Just to be safe?

I'm pretty ok with doing both but I'm gonna lol when Republicans end up with both seats.

Radish posted:

They have recently shifted from "Manchin is a necessary evil we need in order to maintain control of the Senate which is required in order to gain majority power in the USA's broken political system" to "actually Manchin is good" which is loving poo poo.

He's bad, but poo poo have you seen the rest of his state?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Maybe we should focus on the R from WV

which one

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

I kind of don't care? If you are going to make the case he is a necessary evil (and one that is only really useful if we have exactly 51 Senate seats with him otherwise he's chaff) then fine but he's horrible trash we should be ashamed of needing not trying to clean up his rough edges while he wishes to vote against Dreamers.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I know this may come as a shock to some, but being to the right of D&D does not a Republican make. Though apparently being a centrist Democrat is just as bad these days.

You're not a centrist Democrat tho, you're an irl fascist.

I'm not even exaggerating, you don't believe in the 14th amendment's guarantee of equal rights, you defend government agents executing anyone they want for any reason they want, and in the unfortunate event that a suspect sees the inside of a courtroom instead of getting a bullet in the back you advocate manufacturing evidence in order to carry out a death sentence as quickly as possible and barring them from appealing based on new evidence of their innocence because reversing convictions of people who turn out not to be guilty would interfere with the goal of executing as many people as possible.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

You're not a centrist Democrat tho, you're an irl fascist.

I'm not even exaggerating, you don't believe in the 14th amendment's guarantee of equal rights, you defend government agents executing anyone they want for any reason they want, and in the unfortunate event that a suspect sees the inside of a courtroom instead of getting a bullet in the back you advocate manufacturing evidence in order to carry out a death sentence as quickly as possible and barring them from appealing based on new evidence of their innocence because reversing convictions of people who turn out not to be guilty would interfere with the goal of executing as many people as possible.

tfr.txt

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/status/962034764315111424

The dem message on the latest budget deal is out!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Radish posted:

For every one of you Schumer loses he's picking up two Republicans in the suburbs. :shepicide:

The hilarious thing about this line of thinking is that there's no such thing as a moderate republican anymore. The next republican could offer to lock up all minorities for no reason and 'moderate republicans' would still vote for him as long as his tax rate goes down by 1%. The fact that Democrats are still banking on this after Hillary failed spectacularly is amazing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We don't need to get every suburban Republican.

If we lock up just 50% of the minorities in America for no reason we'll get a big enough percentage of the Panera Bread lover vote to win a permanent governing majority.

E:
Okay 60%

Okay 70%

Okay 80%

Okay 90% and that is a red line, we will whip for days to protect those last 10% of minorities

Okay we're not going to whip on 100%, members will just vote how they vote and that's that

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 9, 2018

B B
Dec 1, 2005

I'm dead. :laffo:

Edit:

Dems: "Hey progressives, it'd be great if you voted for us."

Progressives: "y tho? what you gonna do?"

Dems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

B B fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 9, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
if the republicans were setting up death camps the democrats would be meekly "resisting" while doing basically nothing of value and just being a rope holding decent americans from becoming actually left.

lol that's literally what's happening at this very moment my dudes

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Never, ever, expect that Maryland and Virgina US Senators and Representatives will be for a shutdown. Northern Virginia and Central Maryland are effectively employed by the Federal government.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Centrist Dems are very flexible and open minded about whether or not Latinos are people or have rights.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Sorus posted:

Never, ever, expect that Maryland and Virgina US Senators and Representatives will be for a shutdown. Northern Virginia and Central Maryland are effectively employed by the Federal government.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Centrist Dems are very flexible and open minded about whether or not Latinos are people or have rights.

All sadly true.

I know "voting for the lesser evil" sucks. I just think it's something you do alongside other things like getting involved with an alternative party or other like-minded people who are Democrats (if you can find them).

I've been donating a decent amount to candidates I care about. They're not getting help from the DCCC. That's for sure.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Brony Car posted:

I know "voting for the lesser evil" sucks.

STOP 👏 VOTING 👏 FOR 👏 QUISLINGS 👏

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nevvy Z posted:

West Virginia was solidly Dem for many years, it broke open for the GOP in 2000 when the Dems converted to Clintonite neoliberalism.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

West Virginia was solidly Dem for many years, it broke open for the GOP in 2000 when the Dems converted to Clintonite neoliberalism.

That had less to do with neoliberalism and a lot more to do with Al Gore's image as a notorious "tree hugger" who would crush coal beneath his solar powered tank treads.

Coal has basically poisoned West Virginia beyond all rationality. Anything involved with turning West Virginia "blue" will involve ecological compromises that most regular posters here will balk at.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I thought West Virginia had turned out nicely for Obama, way after Gore. I may be misremembering, though.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Sephyr posted:

I thought West Virginia had turned out nicely for Obama, way after Gore. I may be misremembering, though.

You're misremembering.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...m=.38fb7f8cb3d5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You can argue that voting for the lesser evil is the rational choice until you're blue in the face, human beings aren't rational actors dutifully executing the Nash local equilibrium strategy. If Democrats keep giving us right-wing economic policy but with an apologetic smiley face, I will vote for them forever because Republicans want to put me in a camp, and my vote will not matter because enough of the people Dems are grinding under the heel of capitalism and now racism will fail to show and Dems will lose.

• Locked thread