Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

It shouldn't be that hard to give UM's their own flavor, especially with the roman inspiration. Maybe give them shields that can get in the way of enemy LoS when used (in place of a shooting phase), with models getting an extra buff when multiple nearby models in the unit choose to do so.

The idea being that you could have a mobile phalanx with one dude behind the shielders (the spear) able to shoot with a mobile cover/melee from safety with a long weapon.

They should bring breacher units to 40k. UMs could get a cool Shield Wall type ability, granting a +1 to save rolls against shooting attacks, and get to fire overwatch twice for 1 CP or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

They should bring breacher units to 40k. UMs could get a cool Shield Wall type ability, granting a +1 to save rolls against shooting attacks, and get to fire overwatch twice for 1 CP or something.
In 30k, Ultramarines actually have a special option for their breachers. They can all take power swords for +5 points each. I don't know how effective it is considering they're all one attack mooks, but it's neat.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Artum posted:

Adding another flavour would just compound the problem of vanilla marines being bad though.

I mean, most of the time "vanilla marines" are a custom chapter modeled after the main chapters. I'm not sure how you would go about having a marine army with no chapter focus that's still good, beyond giving them a ridiculous point discount.

Tying UM to 'Generic Marines' just causes UM to be boring and disliked for being a boring lead-faction.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The last thing vanilla Marines need is more units, they already have incredible bloat and redundant options all scrapping to fill the same role. What matters is making what they already have better, and more clearly defining roles.

I'm trying to think what would make Tacs good. Maybe an ability to either shoot twice or fight twice, choose at the start of the turn. Right now they're eclipsed by Intercessors as tough mid holders and by Scouts for cheap troop tax.

The stratagems need a serious looking at too. Far too many of them are hugely situational or rely on heavily building your list around them (often to the point of being mutually exclusive). There was a real and obvious shift in the implementation of stratagems from like Guard onwards, and Marines have sufferes for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here's another question; why would I ever take a Gravis Captain when a Space Marine Captain on Bike is far superior in nearly every way, save -1 attack? I've been goofing around with the idea of an Inceptor Captain. Looking around it seems like a Biker Captain would be an excellent substitute.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zuul the Cat posted:

I've decided to finally give up on AoS as I never really have a good time when I play it. As such, I just traded off a large lot of Khorne Bloodbound and got some Harlequins & T'au stuff.

I have Harlequins down pretty well, but I could use some advice for T'au stuff.

This is what I have:

3 devilfish
a hammerhead
4 broadsides
roughly 40-50 drones
some fire warriors

Where should I go from here? I know I want to fill out all 3 of those Devilfish with Fire Warriors/Pathfinders, and I should probably buffer that army with some Crisis Suits, so i'll be getting a Start Collecting box.

A commander or two as well, but any other tips?

Fire Warriors are essential for troop slots, obviously, but if you want to go heavy on the infantry you definitely want some Cadre Fireblades. They're the cheapest HQ choice Tau has at 42 points, and they're the best markerlight platform in the entire army with BS2+. Their aura ability also helps Fire Warriors a good deal, making them 50% more shooty at close range (particularly overwatch).

Pathfinders are probably the best unit that aren't Commanders, pre-Codex, because they get markerlights, pulse carbines (not great, but they can move if you have something else to put markerlights to negate movement penalties (8-13" when advancing, markerlights can remove the penalty for Assault weapons advancing, and can let your rail rifles start shooting at -1). Rail Rifles are real loving good.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Also of note is the fact that the leader of the Ultramarines is also the guy who set down the rules on how to Marine, so giving Ultramarines extra stuff means that they're breaking their own rules which sets a bad example to all the young impressionable Marine chapters and Ultramarines is for the childrens :wutang:

But for real, the intent I feel behind an Ultramarines/Successor Chapter/Generic Custom Chapter force was always on being a balanced low-model force whereas all the other furry, vampire, renfaire cosplaying, and traitor Marines had specialized elements that sacrificed the balance vanilla Marines had.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Two Beans posted:

But for real, the intent I feel behind an Ultramarines/Successor Chapter/Generic Custom Chapter force was always on being a balanced low-model force whereas all the other furry, vampire, renfaire cosplaying, and traitor Marines had specialized elements that sacrificed the balance vanilla Marines had.

And therein lies the problem because instead now all the sub factions just get the standard marine kit and all their own stuff with little to no tradeoff.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That's sort of the issue - GW lore is competing with GW business model.

The theory is that if you want to play a divergent chapter, you get benefits. Benefits that are offset by the loss of some of the things that being a Codex Chapter brings. The issue is they used to do this with kits - You want your Wolfy McWolf Throne, you can't take Assault Marines, whatever. Or you want Baal Predators, you can't take whatever version of ridiculous flyer is good this month. The practical is that GW business never wants a player to not be able to take a kit - You like a thing, you should be able to play with it, and your choice of army shouldn't hamstring your purchasing. Remember when WHFB Giants appeared? They found a way to shoehorn them into basically everything, and the same thing happened with the Land Raider.

So, the issue is the only way to differentiate is then to provide rules coverage - Allow players to utilise the same models, in different ways. But that's a slippery slope, because it gave us 7th Ed Formations eventually, and it turned into a poo poo-show.

The outcome of this is we end up in the unhappy medium - Divergence is rewarded, and 'vanilla' factions end up just worse; Play Ynnari over Eldar. Play Blood Angels successors over Ultramarines. Play GSC over straight Guard/Nids. Because you get more toys or options, or your army is flat better. (Some intentional hyperbole on my part for illustrating a point, please don't go dissecting this, it wasn't the intent.)

I honestly don't think GW internally have come up with a satisfactory compromise. I do hope they do, because honestly, I don't WANT to run my Primaris custom chapter as Space Wolves, but once their Codex comes out, I expect if I want to maximise my chances of winning, I should. Maybe we'll eventually get a Codex: Primaris for them specifically, which will make me happy, but doesn't address the above, really. And those Ultramarines make up a LOT of armies.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Two Beans posted:

Also of note is the fact that the leader of the Ultramarines is also the guy who set down the rules on how to Marine, so giving Ultramarines extra stuff means that they're breaking their own rules which sets a bad example to all the young impressionable Marine chapters and Ultramarines is for the childrens :wutang:

Well at the same time, he always intended those to be guidelines rather than Marine Law, and one of the things that disappointed him on his return was the fact that the UM's had rigidly adhered to every page.

E: nonsequitur question: do inquisitors break regiment adherence? I know a bunch of the other imperium non-SOB/SOS/Marine dont, but I'm not sure if I saw inquisitors listed.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 10, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Uh, weren't (still aren't) things like Centurions and Thunderfire Cannons (and until very recently Cataphractii and Tartaros Terminators) Codex marines only? Venerable and Ironclad Dreads basically still are.

The problem isn't that they don't get stuff to set them apart, it's that the stuff that sets them apart sucks this edition.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Strobe posted:

Uh, weren't (still aren't) things like Centurions and Thunderfire Cannons (and until very recently Cataphractii and Tartaros Terminators) Codex marines only? Venerable and Ironclad Dreads basically still are.

The problem isn't that they don't get stuff to set them apart, it's that the stuff that sets them apart sucks this edition.

Yeah, Cents, Thunderfires, and Ironclads are all Ultramarines vanilla marines only.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

Well at the same time, he always intended those to be guidelines rather than Marine Law, and one of the things that disappointed him on his return was the fact that the UM's had rigidly adhered to every page.

I'm afraid I'm pretty ignorant of what happens in the Black Library books since I haven't read any of them, and also my only source of lore has been the rulebooks and codexes of editions 1 through 3 so more recent stuff I've been playing catch-up on.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm comparing them to a Primaris Captain, not a regular one. The Primaris Captain has the same number of attacks, same number of wounds, and can also field a power first for 28 points less.

Considering you can get a bike that adds +1 T, +1 W, +8 movement for a mere 26 pts over a regular captain, I’d say youre correct. Give him the Primarch’s wrath and you got a dakka captain, although it’ll never be better than a TH.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 10, 2018

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cross posting from the painting thread because tbh I don't know why they don't just scrap all Marines and move to Primaris.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I HATE painting marines.

But I love my large idiot sons.

Also I haven't painted in like, nine months or so.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cross posting from the painting thread because tbh I don't know why they don't just scrap all Marines and move to Primaris.

They should. I have been building all my characters on Primaris bodies.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

cool ultramarines

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

They've basically hinted at that by fluff mentioning that normal marines can be upgraded to Primaris. Seeing as how they're primarily a way to make marines look less stupid I wont be surprised if by 9thed they become the mainstay, maybe with a thrown-bone of Squat Marines getting some gimmick (shove more in a vehicle being the obvious one :v:).

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Conversely my Carcharadon army is shelved until there is a chapter tactic/variation that lets you take chainswords on your tactical marines because all of my tacticals have chainswords.

I may end up having to use the SW codex.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Thundercloud posted:

Conversely my Carcharadon army is shelved until there is a chapter tactic/variation that lets you take chainswords on your tactical marines because all of my tacticals have chainswords.

I may end up having to use the SW codex.

Can also run them as Black Templar Crusader Squads.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Have you heard the good word of THIN YOUR PAINTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWgsqSf74s

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The Young Lad tonight wanted to see about playing, so I cobbled a quick couple of lists at just under 500, which is the entirety of my Nids up against a small Patrol detachment of SM (I gave him Iron Hands rules to try to keep his dudes alive longer). Now, keeping in mind that I only have the one HQ right now and that I deliberately placed that HQ where it could easily be shot by a squad of Sniper/HB Scouts and a Hellblaster squad, please consider:

Is it technically child abuse to field a Flyrant against a ten year old?

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 10, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

The Young Lad tonight wanted to see about playing, so I cobbled a quick couple of lists at just under 500, which is the entirety of my Nids up against a small Patrol detachment of SM (I gave him Iron Hands rules to try to keep his dudes alive longer). Now, keeping in mind that I only have the one HQ right now and that I deliberately places that HQ where it could easily be shot by a squad of Sniper/HB Scouts and a Hellblaster squad, please consider:

Is it technically child abuse to field a Flyrant against a ten year old?

Against hellblasters that will overheating on 2's? Yes. I'm actually calling CPS now

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Man, I’m gonna have to buy him a shitload of juice now

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anything I missed in the last 500 posts?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

Considering you can get a bike that adds +1 T, +1 W, +8 movement for a mere 26 pts over a regular captain, I’d say youre correct. Give him the Primarch’s wrath and you got a dakka captain, although it’ll never be better than a TH.

I've really started to wonder about the viability of using an alternative model as an Inceptor Captain. I could do a biker captain, or something crazy like a Ravenwing Talonmaster or Sammael on Sableclaw or Corvex.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

Have you heard the good word of THIN YOUR PAINTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWgsqSf74s

I saw this today. It was the best advice that this and the minis painting thread gave me when I was getting serious about painting my Tyranids. I looked at my Shadespire stuff for the first time in months today (great game!) and immediately decided to strip it and retry it.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

This weapon swap worked out way better than I thought it would.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That's awesome.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just curious what units work for a committed alpha strike list with csm/daemons.

Currently making a 30 Bloodletter bomb supported by a herald, Obliterators and plasma Terminators, anything else asides from wrap talons that work well?

Are raptors worth it? Should I commit to a large blob or assualt focused Terminators?

Raptors will likely not kill enough stuff in close combat, but they can tie up Shooty stuff for a turn. They got mullered by some Hellblasters in close combat but it meant those Hellblasters weren’t shooting turn one so they were a worthy sacrifice.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Milotic posted:

Raptors will likely not kill enough stuff in close combat, but they can tie up Shooty stuff for a turn. They got mullered by some Hellblasters in close combat but it meant those Hellblasters weren’t shooting turn one so they were a worthy sacrifice.

Unless they are bloody ultra Marines or dire avengers (so much hubris).

It's really hard to tell isn't it before the grand rules reshuffle?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Yeah my friend was playing Imperial fist tactics as his chapter is a successor of that. I was like “Are you sure you don’t want to go Ultramarine tactics for this game?” but he wants to run as fist tactics. The ignores cover is quite good. But it’s not quite in the same ballpark as can fall back and shoot as normal.

I ran as Alpha Legion and thanked my stars I hadn’t chosen night Lords - the Open War cards we chose made everyone immune to morale.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

What do you get for finishing it?

A coronary.

Actual answer: a certificate proving you beat the Ogre challenge.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

Yeah my friend was playing Imperial fist tactics as his chapter is a successor of that. I was like “Are you sure you don’t want to go Ultramarine tactics for this game?” but he wants to run as fist tactics. The ignores cover is quite good. But it’s not quite in the same ballpark as can fall back and shoot as normal.

I ran as Alpha Legion and thanked my stars I hadn’t chosen night Lords - the Open War cards we chose made everyone immune to morale.

The way we've been doing Open War cards, which I'm really fond of now, is to deal 3 cards at each step and have each player remove a card, so the last card left is what you end up using. Helps avoid situations where you have something that'll cripple one of the armies and adds a bit of extra choice.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've really started to wonder about the viability of using an alternative model as an Inceptor Captain. I could do a biker captain, or something crazy like a Ravenwing Talonmaster or Sammael on Sableclaw or Corvex.

If you want to keep him cheaper then jump pack is the best way to keep him like the inceptors. The problem is Marines lack a true shooty HQ option.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

If you want to keep him cheaper then jump pack is the best way to keep him like the inceptors. The problem is Marines lack a true shooty HQ option.

I don't care about making him cheap, I just want something cool.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pop goes the Monkey on Shapeways makes a jump pack for Primaris bodies. I am thinking about buying some to have a jump captain look like a Primaris.

Kinda want him to be jump buddies with 6 Plasma Inceptors.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

Pop goes the Monkey on Shapeways makes a jump pack for Primaris bodies. I am thinking about buying some to have a jump captain look like a Primaris.

Kinda want him to be jump buddies with 6 Plasma Inceptors.

Yeah, I just wish he didn't have the fragility of a regular dude. That's why I was looking at stuff like guys on bikes or the DA Ravenwing characters.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A bike will clearly have the most shooting, but the jump pack will allow him to function like the inceptors. The bike not being able to scale buildings is a huge negative in my opinion. Primarch’s Wrath and a power axe would keep him cheap but flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

A bike will clearly have the most shooting, but the jump pack will allow him to function like the inceptors. The bike not being able to scale buildings is a huge negative in my opinion. Primarch’s Wrath and a power axe would keep him cheap but flexible.

Can jetbikes or speeders scale buildings?