Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

HexiDave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65NfCXFOGu8

Alright, pulling from containers now works with the Habitat Builder tool, and all the tooltips seems to work correctly. I finally got the 8 toolbar slots hooked up to keys properly, too (due to a bug with dnSpy, it's currently really difficult to get that above 8, but whatever). There's a link in the video description with instructions on how to "install" it - you're just overwriting the existing Assembly-CSharp.dll file in your Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed folder.

I might do automatic sub-component crafting later, but I'd have to screw around with the UI to get the tooltips to make sense. Sky's pretty much the limit for what can be modded, if anyone has any good suggestions.

That is goddamn genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So i finally got the prawn and grappling hook so i could :black101: RIP AND TEAR :black101: these loving reaper leviathans around the joint but i cant seem to kill them?

How many punches with the drill does it take?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fucks sake, I almost died again. After establishing a totally pointless cave base, I realized i needed to travel really far to find new blueprints. So I traveled over 1500 km to some wreck in a weird area I hadn't been too. Immediately notice a bunch of massive electric eels. Scary, but I figure as long as I keep my distance I'll be fine.

Well while poking around inside a sunken hull I suddenly heard a loud popping sound. I wasn't sure what it was so I decided to play it safe and look outside. What I see is one of those loving eels trying to worm its way into the wreck. So that was frightening, but what was really horrifying was that it blew up my loving seamoth! If I hadn't gone outside I would of drowned for sure. I barely made it to the surface and had to seaglide 1500 km home.

I dunno if those things are attracted to vehicles but it was rude as hell.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

HexiDave posted:

Alright, pulling from containers now works with the Habitat Builder tool, and all the tooltips seems to work correctly. I finally got the 8 toolbar slots hooked up to keys properly, too (due to a bug with dnSpy, it's currently really difficult to get that above 8, but whatever). There's a link in the video description with instructions on how to "install" it - you're just overwriting the existing Assembly-CSharp.dll file in your Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed folder.

I might do automatic sub-component crafting later, but I'd have to screw around with the UI to get the tooltips to make sense. Sky's pretty much the limit for what can be modded, if anyone has any good suggestions.

This is awesome; you are awesome. I wanted to do another playthrough, but I couldn't face the inventory juggling bullshit a second time around. Problem solved!

I assume the mod will need to be updated/removed whenever they patch the game?

Internet Kraken posted:

Did you remember to turn the headlights off? A lot of stuff deep down will go hog wild on anything that's lit up.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

HexiDave posted:

This seems really helpful, thanks for your work on it. A question though: does the Assembly-CSharp.dll include the pull from containers change, or do I need to run dnSpy to inject the CrafterLogic.cs changes as well?

e: I tested for myself and it's just the Assembly file required. Thank you SO MUCH for this!!!

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 10, 2018

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Well, I finally made it. Did the thing with the things so I could do that thing to the big thing and then made a different big thing that could finally be used now the first big thing had had the thing done to it.

That was a hell of a ride. Personal non-spoilery highlights include:

Losing my Seamoth while waaay underwater because I didn't realise it'd be attacked while I wasn't in it, and having to seaglide to the surface in a hurry. I made it up there, but with only 15% battery left I had to swim the rest of the way back to my base, saving the battery in case I needed a sudden burst of speed to avoid something trying to eat me.

Getting the Cyclops beaten the heck up somewhere deep and hot. Had to dash around putting out fires, patching up the hull, and then cobbled together an emergency base using the materials on hand and what I could scavenge from the area so I could recharge my drained power cells. Should've packed spares.

And a lot of good stuff on the storyline that I won't go into here.

I'm sad it's over, but looking forward to whatever exansion or sequel the devs come up with next. It's a pleasant change of pace to play a survival game where everything's so tightly scripted. Minecraft and it's ilk have more replayability, but at the cost of an engaging experience, imo. Here there's always something worth looking at over the next rise or in the next cave.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wyld Karde posted:

Here there's always something worth looking at over the next rise or in the next cave.

This is a big hook for me. I'm delaying my endgame because I want to scour every handcrafted biome. They're all so lovely and so full of neat things to admire. Not since Skyrim have I spent so much time standing—or floating—in place just looking at something pretty.

The novelty helps a lot too. I've played so many open world games in forests, and cities, and outer space, but never under'da sea. I'm shocked nobody's done it sooner. It offers a great balance between freedom of movement and density of content. Not to mention a tidy excuse to limit the view distance!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

HexiDave posted:

I was actually thinking about taking a crack at building a mod manager this weekend. I don't know how viable using https://github.com/pardeike/Harmony is - I've seen it used with the Nitrox multiplayer mod, but I don't know if I feel like writing a bunch of IL code if it ends up being required for all mods. I need to do some research.

I don't really post anywhere else, but if you know anyone that thinks they'd have fun with it be my guest.

r/subnautica?

But I have no idea how the community there is.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Here is my mostly pointless Main base:

It is not finished, it serves little purpose except to experiment with Alien Containment (Biggest one is 6 or 7 rooms high and breeding only Crabsnakes) and other items I would otherwise ignore. Captive Bred Crabsneks are guarding the area very efficently, any biters or anything at all not Snake shaped that swims in gets chomped on real fast. There was an incident where an overexcited Crabsnake was chasing a peeper that I came too close to and took a chomp at me as well, but otherwise they are a friendly and vigilant Guardsneks.

I am effectively late game so I wanted to have some fun before I do more story, I also have a mass Crashfish containment, and I plan to bring a batallion of Crabsnakes along on my Cyclops to unleash against my enemies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Unless he said he'd been there in an earlier post, having the multipurpose room isn't proof; you can get that from the jellyshroom caves or the deep grand reef.

You can also find growbeds in one of the wrecks too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Fucks sake, I almost died again. After establishing a totally pointless cave base, I realized i needed to travel really far to find new blueprints. So I traveled over 1500 km to some wreck in a weird area I hadn't been too. Immediately notice a bunch of massive electric eels. Scary, but I figure as long as I keep my distance I'll be fine.

Well while poking around inside a sunken hull I suddenly heard a loud popping sound. I wasn't sure what it was so I decided to play it safe and look outside. What I see is one of those loving eels trying to worm its way into the wreck. So that was frightening, but what was really horrifying was that it blew up my loving seamoth! If I hadn't gone outside I would of drowned for sure. I barely made it to the surface and had to seaglide 1500 km home.

You meant 1500 METRES right? :gonk:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
So I built my Cyclops recently and am in the process of packing up to move Deeper. Problem is, it seems like the Cyclops just starts drifting around sometimes while I'm inside of it, so my character has to pop back up through the floor and sometimes falls through it. Is there a specific thing that causes this? I feel like it might be some bit of furniture; I've built a bunch of lockers and stuff inside of the Cyclops, as you do, and am not entirely thrilled at the prospect of deconstructing everything piece by piece to find one offending object.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

uXs posted:

r/subnautica?

But I have no idea how the community there is.

Looks like a few of the devs are moderators there, so it might be a crapshoot. But probably still worth it to post over there - if only to point out to them that there's a want for this.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I went into the game pretty blind. After exploring the Gun Island I swam out and saw my first warper. I got excited and thought that maybe it was a precursor and it turned out, no, that wasn't the case, now you will drown.

Also, is the achievement for finding the Degassi base in the Deep Grand Reef bugged? I found it last night and snagged all the abandoned data pads (at least I think I did, I was being mobbed by crabsquids at the time) but no achievement.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Ixjuvin posted:

So I built my Cyclops recently and am in the process of packing up to move Deeper. Problem is, it seems like the Cyclops just starts drifting around sometimes while I'm inside of it, so my character has to pop back up through the floor and sometimes falls through it. Is there a specific thing that causes this? I feel like it might be some bit of furniture; I've built a bunch of lockers and stuff inside of the Cyclops, as you do, and am not entirely thrilled at the prospect of deconstructing everything piece by piece to find one offending object.

Yeah, I found a really fun one when trying to place a duffel bag on the cyclops. I managed to get it to turn on its side, clip, and die twice in about 5 seconds. It was awesome.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

This is awesome; you are awesome. I wanted to do another playthrough, but I couldn't face the inventory juggling bullshit a second time around. Problem solved!

I assume the mod will need to be updated/removed whenever they patch the game?

Thanks! And, yea, you'll need an updated/patched version if/when they patch the game. That's the main reason I'm gonna dig into building mod support. I did a bit of research last night and it's definitely doable, and probably a lot more easily than I first thought. I'm going to see if I can re-create my patches with the Harmony library today - if can do that, then I should be able to build dynamic mod loading support for other people to platform off of.

As for the suggestions of r/subnautica: I was thinking about it, but I'm gonna see if I can do something more straight-forward than manual monkey-patching of a DLL each release first.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

HexiDave posted:

Thanks! And, yea, you'll need an updated/patched version if/when they patch the game. That's the main reason I'm gonna dig into building mod support. I did a bit of research last night and it's definitely doable, and probably a lot more easily than I first thought. I'm going to see if I can re-create my patches with the Harmony library today - if can do that, then I should be able to build dynamic mod loading support for other people to platform off of.

As for the suggestions of r/subnautica: I was thinking about it, but I'm gonna see if I can do something more straight-forward than manual monkey-patching of a DLL each release first.

There's a dedicated modding discord here https://discord.gg/NJebdvN

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HexiDave posted:

This is awesome and saves so much busywork. Thank you!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why does my scanning room randomly lose items from the list? Sometimes I can scan for 3 pages of items but other times its only 2.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Internet Kraken posted:

Why does my scanning room randomly lose items from the list? Sometimes I can scan for 3 pages of items but other times its only 2.

I think it only knows about things in areas that have been loaded in.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How I feel in the Prawn Suit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j51DfrLHUek

uXs posted:

I think it only knows about things in areas that have been loaded in.

I guess this explains why my base in the Sparse Reef can only detect Uraninite if I also went near the Grand Reef, or why my primary base can scan for Reaper Leviathans even though Reapers would only be on the extreme edges of its range. Or why I haven't been able to scan for fragments in a long time.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I've taken to keeping one piece of each resource as a "seed" to drop outside if necessary. Mostly just for the large ore deposits, but it's good for rubies and the like.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does anyone else feel bad when they splatter a little fish buddy against the front of their vehicles?

Except biters, I go out of my way to hit those little fucks.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Dienes posted:

I went into the game pretty blind. After exploring the Gun Island I swam out and saw my first warper. I got excited and thought that maybe it was a precursor and it turned out, no, that wasn't the case, now you will drown.

Also, is the achievement for finding the Degassi base in the Deep Grand Reef bugged? I found it last night and snagged all the abandoned data pads (at least I think I did, I was being mobbed by crabsquids at the time) but no achievement.

Did you pick up the PDA in the top section of the base, with a separate entrance? I missed that one the first time around because I couldn't find a ladder inside.

Ixjuvin posted:

I think I have the same, or a similar, bug. If I stand still for too long, I notice it's drifting. Then I will clip through the floor and immediately spawn a few metres above the Cyclops, begin falling, land on its roof and take a load of damage, continue falling for a couple of metres below the sub where I will "dive" into an invisible water surface. After that I can swim back up and re-enter it.

I think I've consistently fixed it by turning the engines off before stepping away from the helm. My guess is the Cyclops retains a little bit of inertia, just like the Seamoth does when you exit that, and the physics engine can't cope with the player walking on a surface that is moving.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone else feel bad when they splatter a little fish buddy against the front of their vehicles?

Except biters, I go out of my way to hit those little fucks.
gently caress crash fish, when can we weaponize spade fish?

Also please kill more biters in my name. Another one no-clipped their way into my alien containment room :sigh: At least I caught it before it went full buffet spree this time, it was stuck halfway through the glass.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 10, 2018

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I just picked this up, what is the base recommended game mode for going in blind? Freedom or Survival?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I tried to make a kitchen and all the eye-eyes outside my base started pressing up against the window to steal my food.

Turns out food on the ground still decomposes though so I don't think this will work anyways.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

funmanguy posted:

I just picked this up, what is the base recommended game mode for going in blind? Freedom or Survival?
Survival adds food and water meters, that's it. They don't fundamentally change the game, but change the gameplay loop by forcing you to focus on food/water heavily at the beginning and then it settles to an easy to satisfy routine once you set yourself up that isn't much work. I'm playing survival and found it helped add to the atmosphere in the beginning, and once I got an interior growbed it wasn't a real worry and while it keeps me coming back to my base most of the time hunger/thirst hits about when I'd be going back anyway. So I don't really mind and it helps the atmosphere. That said, the game doesn't really guide you to this setup early, and spending a long time in the early food/water loop of chasing flighty fish around can get annoying.

If that sounds worth it to you go with survival and look up how to grow food if it gets annoying. If it sounds like pointless busywork then go with freedom.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I have just enough components to build either the rebreather or the habitat gun thingy. I don't know if I want to build a base (and so have a place for my resources,) or swim deeper (and find more resources.) I might have to sleep on this. Or be paralysed into no decision.

Also, does anyone feel time goes really slowly when you're playing this? Maybe it's nerves making my time in the game seem longer or maybe it's the dulled underwater sounds and wavy motions, but I can play for twenty minutes and feel like I need a break.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

funmanguy posted:

I have always played while needing food and water. But that's debatable whether it makes the game more fun or not. The biggest cause of death for me is drowning

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Mrenda posted:

I have just enough components to build either the rebreather or the habitat gun thingy. I don't know if I want to build a base (and so have a place for my resources,) or swim deeper (and find more resources.) I might have to sleep on this. Or be paralysed into no decision.

Also, does anyone feel time goes really slowly when you're playing this? Maybe it's nerves making my time in the game seem longer or maybe it's the dulled underwater sounds and wavy motions, but I can play for twenty minutes and feel like I need a break.

Make a base first.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mrenda posted:

Habitat builder absolutely. The rebreather doesn't help until you go below 100m and even then it's not a huge deal until you want to go significantly deeper. A tube base with some lockers (built in, not water lockers) is essential.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mrenda posted:

Thirding a habitat builder. Don't stress about ~the ideal location~ to place a base either, you get 100% of the resources back when you deconstruct things

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mrenda posted:

Build a base, you need storage space badly. The rebreather doesn't do anything if you aren't diving below 100 meters which you really shouldn't be doing much of without better gear.

just find an area that is relatively open to setup stuff and build a bunch of storage lockers. Once you have a habitat builder a functional "base" can consist of nothing more than one segment, a hatch, and a solar panel.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
This thing is so ridiculously large it borders on obscene.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You'll think different once you've covered every interior surface with lockers and yet still hunger for more storage!

The balance they struck between the three vehicles is some very fine game design. Each one is essential in its own way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Scarecow posted:

So i finally got the prawn and grappling hook so i could :black101: RIP AND TEAR :black101: these loving reaper leviathans around the joint but i cant seem to kill them?

How many punches with the drill does it take?

Infinite. You can't kill any large predators period, you can only make them go away for a bit.

I used to think you couldn't kill smaller predators but then I had some experiences with two of them that give me inklings that you totally can, they just have insane amounts of health.

Case study 1: Freakin' Bonesharks. Getting all up in my grill while I'm clomping around in my prawn looking for copper. One just does not leave me alone. So I drill it. And punch it. And drill it. And punch it again.
Then it sort of turns on it's back and starts flopping pathetically while just... Floating there. 'Good, maybe now I can actually drill some of this gold here' (I was not in the right biome for copper drill deposits :shobon:)

Case study 2: Those Pesky Stalkers. My base is at the northern thermal vent in the shallows where it borders the kelp zone with grassy plains just a few further meters away. It's a good place to get around some early-game areas quickly for picking up stuff. So, since I hadn't played much with a scan room thanks to the beta bug where it seriously messed with the audio, I get to building one to try it out, install it's HUD chip and find some quartz. Everything's pretty hunky dory.

Then I notice that one of my camera's is 300 meters away from the other. 'Huh, wonder why that is.' I go back to my base, head on up to the scanner room and hit the camera. It's just floating there above the grassy reefs with some metal scrap nearby. 'Weird.' I think and float it on back to the scanner room and go about my business.

I look up again and see that, once again, Camera 1's 300 meters away from my base. 'wtf i just moved it back' I go and head back on up to figure out what's going on. Turns out a stalker had taken a liking to it and was pulling it to it's respective 'junk drop off' point. I think that's cute and swim the camera back to my scanning room.

Long story short: the above cycle of 'get camera back, go do something else, notice something off with cameras' culminates in three pesky stalkers playing with both of my scanning room camera's like they're annoying teens from next door playing ball in my yard. Every time I bring a camera back, the stalkers are all like 'ooh the ball get the ball' and start dragging it off, Camera 1 to 300 meters, Camera 2 to 800! meters (they grabbed it amongst themselves, hence the analogy.) Finally I had had enough. I deconstructed the scanning room (blowing up a speed module in the process) then took my propulsion cannon and shot both camera drones into the deepest part of the thermal vent (it took multiple tries because 'ooh ooh he's got the ball get the ball' stalkers.)

I checked to make sure all 3 stalkers were in the vent before I went off and did other things. Eventually both camera's disappeared off of my hud (probably blown up from heat damage) and I haven't seen hide nor hair of them since. Even after building a replacement scanning room.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 11, 2018

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

Infinite. You can't kill any large predators period, you can only make them go away for a bit.

I used to think you couldn't kill smaller predators but then I had some experiences with two of them that give me inklings that you totally can, they just have insane amounts of health.

You can absolutely kill reapers by punching them to death. I had to do that to one that decided its new home was the ~30m of water above my base near the shallows.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Surely at least half of us painted the prawn yellow because of this, right?

EponymousMrYar posted:

As noted above, leviathans are definitely killable with the prawn suit or knife; it just takes ages. I absolutely would not say that smaller stuff has an insane amount of health, either. You can trivially annihilate anything other than a leviathan or a lava lizard with one stasis blast and like under 10 thermoblade swings. Even something as large and scary as a crabsquid stands no chance.

That being said, the death animation on Subnautica enemies is weird and it's possible you killed stuff without realizing it. They tend to just stop moving and then repeatedly twitch every few seconds for all eternity.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Finished the game this afternoon, pretty good run what with all the EA playtime I have had in various iterations.

Constructing the Neptunefelt almost anticlimactic, it was fairly easy. A fully stocked set of lockers on my Cyclops helped of course. I did have to find some lithium but that was it.

What’s the reason for the lockers on the neptune? I didn’t bother stocking them with stuff, but perhaps it is for a future expansion (which would kind of suck because at that point I was too lazy to load them up. Before blasting off I freed everything in my alien containment though. Bye cuddlefish!