Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Eela6 posted:

Oh, it's going to go way deeper :forkbomb: :getin:

eyyyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Crabtree posted:

But its a show about sex puns and metaphors too? Like I dunno, the one creature that can survive this hellscape outside of their dumb enclosures that the society needs to kill with matrimony and papa approved pairings. That is part of 002s make up who is a dangerous, sexually aggressive girl. But then again maybe I'm high and channeling Eureka Seven for some reason.

Not everything has to be a metaphor or symbol as pointed out regarding Evangelion. Sometimes a giant bio-mechanical magma monster is a giant bio-mechanical magma monster. The surface level of the story just puts 002 as some "cursed" child.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Brought To You By posted:

Not everything has to be a metaphor or symbol as pointed out regarding Evangelion. Sometimes a giant bio-mechanical magma monster is a giant bio-mechanical magma monster. The surface level of the story just puts 002 as some "cursed" child.

Cursed in way directly related to the feminine role in Yin-Yang symbolism, literally draining all the Yin energy from her partners due to her powerful Yang.

Is it possible that this show is somehow too subtle? Maybe they should have just made a hentai so people can get over their weird fear of symbolism.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

I'm pretty sure the magma dinosaurs are just Balrogs and human it just dug too deep and too greedily.

They’re created by a blue-horned dude so that the red-horned girl has something to fight so that humanity will accept her.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I finally got a chance to see the preview for the next episode, looks like we're gonna see some more pomp and circumstance and how our honey-glazed demon plays with the group dynamics.

I don't think this will be a happy episode.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
On the note of studios, A-1 is probably the one that has the minimal "studio style". SHAFT has a style, Bones has a style, Dogakobo has a style, MAPPA has a style, Wit has a style, Trigger has a style. A-1 is a cipher, A-1 exists to match up animators with production committees, and lets the chips fall where they may.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > DARLING in the FRANXX - It's just giant loving robots

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Understanding posted:

I finally got a chance to see the preview for the next episode, looks like we're gonna see some more pomp and circumstance and how our honey-glazed demon plays with the group dynamics.

I don't think this will be a happy episode.

After watching the episode, the preview didn’t really show poo poo.

Next episode should be good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Willias posted:

After watching the episode, the preview didn’t really show poo poo.

Next episode should be good.

Interesting dynamic with 02 and Hiro this time.

Seems she really does love him, does care about him, and the second he dies, she's really going to drop him like a stone.

While we're on the topic, it's interesting that both he and 02 have reputations in the exact opposite direction.

Hiro's empathetic, and way more human than expected from a parasite. Meanwhile, 02's... well, let's be honest. Her getting people killed and not giving a gently caress is the least surprising revelation ever.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

nielsm posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > DARLING in the FRANXX - It's just giant loving robots

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I thought this episode was really good. The supporting cast feels much more fleshed out now.

I even like Zoromoe.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Interesting dynamic with 02 and Hiro this time.

Seems she really does love him, does care about him, and the second he dies, she's really going to drop him like a stone.

While we're on the topic, it's interesting that both he and 02 have reputations in the exact opposite direction.

Hiro's empathetic, and way more human than expected from a parasite. Meanwhile, 02's... well, let's be honest. Her getting people killed and not giving a gently caress is the least surprising revelation ever.

The kids are little more than pieces of machinery and are treated as such. Why should she care about them?

That’ll probably change as the series goes on though. The kids are becoming more human due to Hiro and 02, and there’s hints of individuality even in their mecha.

02’s reaction at the end perplexes me though.

Also I look forward to the headbandless 02 piloting with Hiro.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This was actually a really good episode. I kinda expected it to quadruple down on the trashy elements, but instead it went all in on the character development and interpersonal interactions. Maybe it won't be a pile of garbage when all is done.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I don't think Hiro is going to die next episode. One one hand, without the main protagonist what would the show do for the next 18 episodes? On another hand, Hiro would otherwise turn into a Blue Oni and surpass the three-ride rule.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grouchio posted:

I don't think Hiro is going to die next episode. One one hand, without the main protagonist what would the show do for the next 18 episodes? On another hand, Hiro would otherwise turn into a Blue Oni and surpass the three-ride rule.

I'm predicting this as well. I think Hiro is going to become progressively less human and 02 is going to become more...empathetic, at least.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
Futoshi and Kokoro being cute gave me life.

We're watching all the possibilities for this show pare down, but it looks like we can still get a gay pilot duo at some point, but I'm not going to hold out for it.

Eela6 posted:

I even like Zoromoe.

I'm liking his development as more a hotheaded but kindhearted friend vs the complete dick he was shown off as.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Grouchio posted:

There Bias Two posted:

I'm predicting this as well. I think Hiro is going to become progressively less human and 02 is going to become more...empathetic, at least.

Yeah, Blue Oni is a probable result, though I don't think they'll make him lose his humanity.
He isn't that much of a saint that it would be effective.

Now do parasites expire, never grow up or fight till they die?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lurking Haro posted:

Yeah, Blue Oni is a probable result, though I don't think they'll make him lose his humanity.
He isn't that much of a saint that it would be effective.

Now do parasites expire, never grow up or fight till they die?

I bet they and their Franxx turn into Klaxosaurs, somehow

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I bet they and their Franxx turn into Klaxosaurs, somehow

Please no because that would literally be Madoka and I will never get over that.

This was an incredible episode for so many reasons.

One curious thing I noticed is how the show seems to fall back on a very distinct set of locations. It makes me wonder if certain settings are intended to background certain types of scenes. Something about the presentation feels too intentional to be chosen arbitrarily.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 10, 2018

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

ViggyNash posted:

One curious thing I noticed is how the show seems to fall back on a very distinct set of locations. It makes me wonder if certain settings are intended to background certain types of scenes. Something about the presentation feels too intentional to be chosen arbitrarily.

I feel like it's also supposed to convey how small (and controlled) the area they all inhabit there is compared to the enormousness of everything around them. They called it the birdcage for a reason.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

On that note, is there any meaning to the ED animation with Ichigo running through a normal Japanese city in a normal school uniform? Or just to show a character in an alternate setting?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Hah. You all thought FRANXX was a sex metaphor. It's actually a drugs metaphor.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

nielsm posted:

On that note, is there any meaning to the ED animation with Ichigo running through a normal Japanese city in a normal school uniform? Or just to show a character in an alternate setting?

It just seems to be a thing some shows do. I remember The Tower of Druaga did the same thing.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Iretep posted:

It just seems to be a thing some shows do. I remember The Tower of Druaga did the same thing.

Eureka Seven also did this.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That scene with Mitsuru melting down and popping pills in the greenhouse was about one slap away from turning into Utena.

Great episode.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Triggerhappypilot posted:

It's Ecstacy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
This episode was fantastic. It gave a huge amount of characterization to almost all of the children, even the ones who obviously aren't a focus. I think one of my favorite things is that for a show that is about as subtle as a brick to the face, there are a lot of body language cues or very short shots that convey a lot of information without remarking on it, like Mitsuru's face collapsing every time Hiro is mentioned or talks before his pill popping scene, or the death glare 02 gave Goro when he suggested he didn't want Strelizia on the field with them. 02 stole the show in both of her last two scenes, as well.

I really like when shows take a moment to breathe to flesh out character dynamics a little.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Secretly, it's about rock and roll.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

This was actually a really good episode. I kinda expected it to quadruple down on the trashy elements, but instead it went all in on the character development and interpersonal interactions. Maybe it won't be a pile of garbage when all is done.

why are posters like this

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

RME posted:

forums.somethingawful.com

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RME posted:

I suspect 4 Chan's rubbing off on us.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

RME posted:

Just liking things is illegal. We have to hide everything behind a layer of "irony" or people might think we enjoy the things we choose to spend our time with.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RME posted:

Like what? Pleasantly surprised that the show with butt handles developed depth instead of more butt handles?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Like what? Pleasantly surprised that the show with butt handles developed depth instead of more butt handles?

this show's had great character moments, interactions, and cool animations since episode 1 and then you act surprised it goes somewhere with that?

but there's also sexual imagery and it just becomes instant trash that can go nowhere and is infact, bound to go nowhere and just revelling in it, providing nothing of worth

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RME posted:

this show's had great character moments, interactions, and cool animations since episode 1 and then you act surprised it goes somewhere with that?

but there's also sexual imagery and it just becomes instant trash that can go nowhere and is infact, bound to go nowhere and just revelling in it, providing nothing of worth

Have you seen Kado? That show was consistently good and then totally went off a cliff with the last couple episodes. I'm not saying a show has to be either great or terrible, but I don't see anything wrong with saying, "Oh hey, they took a good direction I wasn't expecting. It looks like they're trying to tell a deeper story here."

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Where the gently caress is Inferno Cop, Ninja Slayer, and Turning Girls on this poll

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Have you seen Kado? That show was consistently good and then totally went off a cliff with the last couple episodes. I'm not saying a show has to be either great or terrible, but I don't see anything wrong with saying, "Oh hey, they took a good direction I wasn't expecting. It looks like they're trying to tell a deeper story here."

part of my point was this has been there since episode 1, so i disagree with this being a veer into a different direction

i've also not seen kado, but it strikes me as something weird to bring up

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

drat wtf nobody told me this was a kado tie-in

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I haven't watched the ep yet but here's the almost finished picture. hopefully the show isn't bad again when I watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Merlin from Fate Grand Order x the suit with the intense chin shadow imo

• Locked thread