Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, I thought it was an extension of your post where you tried to deflect my criticism of Neptunia for sexualizing twelve-year-olds because Persona 4 also sexualized a minor

I don't think this happened at all. It read more like an indictment of Persona than anything else. Or just like, a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Cold take, every persona after 2 is bad. It's the inverse of SMT where only the ones after 2 are good. So If SMT 5 is bad persona 6 will be good.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Cold take, every persona after 2 is bad. It's the inverse of SMT where only the ones after 2 are good. So If SMT 5 is bad persona 6 will be good.

I've completely spoiled myself on the plot of the Persona2 duality because while I have desperately wanted to, on multiple occasions, like the games, they're such an unplayable drag. Even if you really hate the dating sim components and high school setting of 3/4/5, I'm not sure how you could argue the gameplay itself is any worse than 1/2 while simultaneously liking mainline SMT titles considering how close the One More system is to Press Turns.

That being said, I wonder which would be more interesting for someone new to the series: playing IS and then EP, or playing them backwards?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've completely spoiled myself on the plot of the Persona2 duality because while I have desperately wanted to, on multiple occasions, like the games, they're such an unplayable drag. Even if you really hate the dating sim components and high school setting of 3/4/5, I'm not sure how you could argue the gameplay itself is any worse than 1/2 while simultaneously liking mainline SMT titles considering how close the One More system is to Press Turns.

That being said, I wonder which would be more interesting for someone new to the series: playing IS and then EP, or playing them backwards?

P2 has actually likable casts and sticks to its morals and themes better than Persona 3-5, and since they're mostly character writing by weight it's kinda hosed up how badly the later ones step on their own feet all the loving time.Also you can be gay in Persona 2 and people aren't lovely about it which is a really novel concept somehow a decade plus later.

It's definitely still in release order. EP is full of pay off and twists on stuff from IS and it loses a lot without the context.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SMT1 and 2 are the best SMT games though so no.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

P2 has actually likable casts and sticks to its morals and themes better than Persona 3-5, and since they're mostly character writing by weight it's kinda hosed up how badly the later ones step on their own feet all the loving time.

So you say this but also think SMT4 is superior to SMT1/2? SMT4 has some of the laziest and most ham-fisted alignment systems I've ever seen. And I love SMT3 and think the down-played story is one of its more interesting aspects but based on the things you said I'm again confused about how you dislike SMT1/2 and prefer 3/4?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As resident Nep apologist, I'm not gonna try to defend Peashy. She's a bad character from concept to execution.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

As resident Nep apologist, I'm not gonna try to defend Peashy. She's a bad character from concept to execution.
her little tiger claws in her untransformed state are cute. that is the extent of my positive feelings on peashy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
She isn't completely devoid of positive qualities yeah but she's bad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the gameplay in persona 2 is bad enough that i can't in good faith recommend playing it but i definitely respect it more than persona 4 for actually feeling like it has thoughts and convictions to its story that it doesn't collapse in on itself. idk about persona 5 but i'm gonna assume it's the same as 4 because everyone says so

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

the gameplay in persona 2 is bad enough that i can't in good faith recommend playing it but i definitely respect it more than persona 4 for actually feeling like it has thoughts and convictions to its story that it doesn't collapse in on itself. idk about persona 5 but i'm gonna assume it's the same as 4 because everyone says so
5 is even worse because it tries to tackle more complex and mature themes than 4.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Accordion Man posted:

5 is even worse because it tries to tackle more complex and mature themes than 4.

I keep seeing people say that the themes in P4 were weakly explored, but I never really felt like, through any of my playthroughs, that the game was ever reeeeeeally trying to tackle any "big" themes. The game always read to me as a campy thriller, which I thought it was a great rendition of. The main problem I see people have with the game's writing is their treatment of Kanji, and while yeah he does get poo poo on a lot, I don't think the way Yosuke (who is the main perpetrator) treats Kanji is that unrealistic, unfortunately. And, since I don't see Persona 4 as a game that is trying to make a big stance on gay culture or gay-straight relations, if you look at the game script in the context of "hey this is how teens would talk to each other" it makes sense.

In the same vein, people say P5 did a poor job of tackling its large themes, and again I don't think P5 was meant to have any sort of huge message. It was more about capturing the frustration of a generation amid a political turning point. When I played it, I read the big theme as being "hey teens, you can make a difference!" and then was very confused when I was seeing articles about how P5 did a poor job with its commentary on sexism and I was like woah what when was P5 about sexism

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I keep seeing people say that the themes in P4 were weakly explored, but I never really felt like, through any of my playthroughs, that the game was ever reeeeeeally trying to tackle any "big" themes. The game always read to me as a campy thriller, which I thought it was a great rendition of. The main problem I see people have with the game's writing is their treatment of Kanji, and while yeah he does get poo poo on a lot, I don't think the way Yosuke (who is the main perpetrator) treats Kanji is that unrealistic, unfortunately. And, since I don't see Persona 4 as a game that is trying to make a big stance on gay culture or gay-straight relations, if you look at the game script in the context of "hey this is how teens would talk to each other" it makes sense.

In the same vein, people say P5 did a poor job of tackling its large themes, and again I don't think P5 was meant to have any sort of huge message. It was more about capturing the frustration of a generation amid a political turning point. When I played it, I read the big theme as being "hey teens, you can make a difference!" and then was very confused when I was seeing articles about how P5 did a poor job with its commentary on sexism and I was like woah what when was P5 about sexism
When it decided to make its entire introductory plot about sexual assault and made saes entire subplot about men being lovely to her until she felt likr she had to prove herself

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

As someone who does not know who that is, I will add to her positive aspects in that she has a cute name that I am jealous of.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They're both bad just move on and stop sniping at every single second

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5CTlRKa1SE

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

p5 tries to be rebellious but its written by a bunch of square motherfuckers so it screws it up

damned if it aint stylish as gently caress about it tho

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Terper posted:

As someone who does not know who that is, I will add to her positive aspects in that she has a cute name that I am jealous of.

You have a cute name too, Dr. Murder

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Endorph posted:

When it decided to make its entire introductory plot about sexual assault and made saes entire subplot about men being lovely to her until she felt likr she had to prove herself

I thought the reason everyone was trying to undermine Sae's investigation was because she wasn't in on the plot to murder people with mind powers? Her boss who seemed like he didn't like her and put her down was one of the big honchos of the conspiracy to kill people with mind powers and we knew that before we even saw him talking to Sae. Sae, on the other hand, is the main character's lawyer who seems to want to save him from the men who are beating the poo poo out of him and injecting him with some sort of horrible mystery serum. So from the opening of the game, we are sort of established that Sae is the good guy, and the people she's being antagonized by are the bad guys. Aren't the bad guys supposed to be lovely to the good guys to make you want to root for them?

Also, again, I looked at the opening of the game as being more about finding a reason to have the main character be seen as a bad guy by almost everybody but the player still likes him, and also to get him to move out of his hometown. It was more of a scripting reason, not a "we want this game to be about sexism" reason

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Agean90 posted:

p5 tries to be rebellious but its written by a bunch of square motherfuckers so it screws it up

damned if it aint stylish as gently caress about it tho

P5's all about social outcasts but actually none of the main cast are social outcasts but just that the writers want you to believe that they are. Meanwhile true social outcasts in Japan like homeless people and LGBT are made fun of. Seriously I can't see how any of the main party members wouldn't be the most popular kids in their school other than Futaba who doesn't even go to school.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ulio posted:

P5's all about social outcasts but actually none of the main cast are social outcasts but just that the writers want you to believe that they are. Meanwhile true social outcasts in Japan like homeless people and LGBT are made fun of. Seriously I can't see how any of the main party members wouldn't be the most popular kids in their school other than Futaba who doesn't even go to school.

neither are any of the side characters tbh, or the ones that are are outcasts due to ridiculous poo poo (see Dr. Legs for Days and her square foot pharmalab.) about the only one who i think was actually good at being on the underside of society was your friendly neighborhood arms dealer. it made me want to see a persona game where your homeless and instead of going to school or what ev your just trying to get enough cash for some food cause the shelters been full for 2 weeks in row.

which is basically shinji from p3 now that i think about it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ulio posted:

Mmmmmm even in America I think Ryuji would get in a lot lot lot more hot water for getting into a literal fistfight with a teacher than he appears to have in the game. And also considering that students in Japan take school so seriously that they have a second school that you go to after school I'm not sure with how popular he would be, but I could be wrong. Most characters you're right about though, especially Ann and Makoto. I think Shiho would have made a much more compelling party member than Ann, who's whole function in the Kamoshida arc is just to act as Shiho's surrogate and never really ends up getting her own arc that makes you feel for her. In fact, save Futaba, most of the emotional attachment toward the party members more stems from the people who wronged them. In that sense, I read the game as being less about outcasts and more about people who were wronged by a person in power, especially Haru, who has no personality other than "is in an arranged marriage with a bad jerk."

It is mega lovely that all of the LGBT characters in the game are always stereotypes and serve the purpose of being the butt of the joke though. Even when people were mean to Kanji in P4 the player was still meant to like him, but P5 doesn't even try.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Awn TaKAWmakey

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Actias posted:

Because it's a gacha game baiting you to spend real money to see a picture in your inventory that anyone can see on the internet for free.

Is mobage the Star Citizen of Jrpgs?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No you actually get something for your money with mobage

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The characters in P5 are victims of abuse by adults with ambitions that literally consume them. Them being outcasts is the side effect of no one wanting to associate with people who disturb social order, it's not about them actually being outcasts.

The problem is that the narrative puts more focus on the abusers and not the victims with the characters rarely supporting each other. Futaba gets the most attention which results in her feeling like the most fleshed out character, but Yusuke contemplates eating his paintings while everyone goes "lol"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 5 should have had a korean kid

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

al-azad posted:

The characters in P5 are victims of abuse by adults with ambitions that literally consume them. Them being outcasts is the side effect of no one wanting to associate with people who disturb social order, it's not about them actually being outcasts.

The problem is that the narrative puts more focus on the abusers and not the victims with the characters rarely supporting each other. Futaba gets the most attention which results in her feeling like the most fleshed out character, but Yusuke contemplates eating his paintings while everyone goes "lol"

This. My two favorite Persona games are P2 Innocent Sin and Persona 4 Golden and I attribute this largely to the focus on the heroes. Both games do a fantastic job of establishing our protagonist's group and I grew very attached to every single one of them.

P5 was so obsessed with its conspiracy of evil, old, ugly men (which included the principal of the school the hero ended up at which I always found to be a strange coincidence. Why was he involved in any of Shido's master plan? Legitimately curious.) that it focused a lot less on establishing our heroes being pals.

I was also unsure of why Shadows in P4 are outlandish caricatures of the heroes while in P5, Shadows are the actual true selves of the villains.

Another thing P2 and P4 had going for them was their worldbuilding. I loved Sumaru and Inaba.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

Another thing P2 and P4 had going for them was their worldbuilding. I loved Sumaru and Inaba.

Yeah Persona 4 was always a buddy cop movie first and foremost, except the buddies were your team and the cops were not the cops but also your team. Also, while I think P5 does a much better job of making the social links enjoyable, P4 has the best supporting cast of random NPCs. Funky student? gently caress yeah. The teachers were funny, coach dude was great, math pharoh was dope. I don't even remember any of the P5 teachers other than the one you canonically get married to forever and ever and the one that throws erasers at you.

Another thing that I can't identify why I like so much is how so much of P4's spooky world feels unresolved, but because there's no exposition man to be like "actually the true meaning of everything was this." Morgana spoils a lot of the mystery of the Metaverse. P4 doesn't even give the TV world a name, which is a touch I really really like. Every time you go there, your team is like "hey wanna go to the spooky hosed-up TV place?" There's never a contrived conversation about naming the TV place, they just let it always be a spooky place they know they'll never fully understand.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36LA7rGED9Q

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If this ever comes out I'm going to play the poo poo out of it like I'm a kid again with no shame.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Terper posted:

She's the PC Engine/Turbografx-16 and that has always ratcheted up a barely-there character a few slots in my book due to childhood nostalgia.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

i accidentally wrote tiddy in my magical circle and summoned Shub-Niggurath please help
Have you tried taking the advice of your avatar and killing, cooking, and eating shub-niggurath?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Game where the cast talks about their dick sizes when

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

The weapon showing scene in the prologue of Trails of Cold Steel.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tired Moritz posted:

https://twitter.com/Kirbysuperstar/status/807878157931925504

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

https://youtu.be/L8qBd4R3j44

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

god, gladio why you gonna be such a dick

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjoIp5tf3Ww&t=114s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Does Legend of Legaia hold up these days? It's probably the last acclaimed Playstation RPG that I've never played, and I feel like I should maybe try it instead of playing FF9 again for the fifth time or whatever, but it does look a bit dated. i think it's the polygons