Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thank you so much.

On the voltage regulator I get a reading of 1.

On the PPU from ground to pin 40 (+5) I get a reading of. 096. From ground to pin 21 (VOUT) I get nothing. Am I supposed to?

Do my readings show anything wrong?

on your multimeter a solid nonfluctuating "1" might be it's way of telling you it is out of range. Put it on the "20" and try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Thank you so much.

On the voltage regulator I get a reading of 1.

On the PPU from ground to pin 40 (+5) I get a reading of. 096. From ground to pin 21 (VOUT) I get nothing. Am I supposed to?

Do my readings show anything wrong?

You should be getting 5V from both of them, so the problem may be the 7805 voltage regulator. It could also be the power supply though; do you have a Genesis 1 or similar power supply to try out?

I'd go and replace both the 7805 and the power capacitors (in the silver box) anyway as they are the most likely component to fail on these 30+ year old consoles. I'd recommend writing down a diagram of the positive and negative pin placement, location, and uf and voltage values of each cap while removing them, as there are several possible cap array variants:

https://console5.com/store/nintendo-nes-frontloader-cap-kit-nes-001.html

Power supply cap info is at the bottom of this page:
https://console5.com/wiki/Nintendo_NES-001

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 10, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TVs Ian posted:

https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Cartridge_connector

It looks like they're all wired up. Not sure about those EXP connections in the center - I wonder if those are some equivalent of the Famicom's expansion port, and that's partially why NES carts are 72 pin and the Famicom is only 60.
There are definitely some that appear to be NC on the connector itself, as in they are literally not wired to the bottom part at all. From that diagram, pins 70 & 71 don't appear to connect from top to bottom. CIC CLK and RST, I guess?

E: Those are lockout pins, of course they'd NC those.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cool, thanks.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

flyboi posted:

LJN gets a lot of hate here rightfully but it's my guilty pleasure.

Wasn't LJN just a publisher though? I think it's best that kusoge hate is directed towards the people who actually made the game, if it's known. I'm not denying that some publishers had a tendency to publish crap though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

on your multimeter a solid nonfluctuating "1" might be it's way of telling you it is out of range. Put it on the "20" and try again.

OK the multimeter read 5v this time. Thank you! So I know it's not that.

Monitor Burn posted:

You should be getting 5V from both of them, so the problem may be the 7805 voltage regulator. It could also be the power supply though; do you have a Genesis 1 or similar power supply to try out?

I'd go and replace both the 7805 and the power capacitors (in the silver box) anyway as they are the most likely component to fail on these 30+ year old consoles. I'd recommend writing down a diagram of the positive and negative pin placement, location, and uf and voltage values of each cap while removing them, as there are several possible cap array variants:

https://console5.com/store/nintendo-nes-frontloader-cap-kit-nes-001.html

Power supply cap info is at the bottom of this page:
https://console5.com/wiki/Nintendo_NES-001

Thanks so much for the helpful reply. I tried a Genesis ac adapter and no difference. Also thanks to d0s I figured out its not the 7805.

I did just get the NES to boot up twice. I used a Legend of Zelda cart since I know it's a game that immediately produces sound. I got the sound twice and both times the image was garbled, and all white. This I think tells me it's something with the mod because I recall that when you hook up composite from the side port it's all white with this mod installed. I would think if it were capacitor related it would have never booted or if it did it would be garbled in color? Any ideas? Again this used to work just fine. I have no clue what the hell happened while sitting in my basement.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Ofecks posted:

Wasn't LJN just a publisher though? I think it's best that kusoge hate is directed towards the people who actually made the game, if it's known. I'm not denying that some publishers had a tendency to publish crap though.

Developers deliver games in line with what they are being paid, and they are being paid by the publisher.

This isn't strictly one-way, and there is of course no strict one-to-one correspondence between dollars in and quality out, but if you're working for hire and either quoted low or were given a hard and low ceiling, well...

I'd direct my rage at marketing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Well I solved the mystery of my nesrgb not working.

Luckily I had a spare nes. Out of sheer frustration I swapped the 72 pin connectors...and it fixed it.

It didn't even occur to me that it could be that because it worked just fine when I put it in my basement. Not to mention that I clipped the 10NES security chip which I thought makes it virtually impossible to occur if the games are clean. I even visually inspected both 72 pin connectors and I can't see a single goddamn difference between the two.

Flashing red light still driving me nuts 30 years later :negative:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ofecks posted:

They were probably the ones who budgeted and contracted games (note the number of licensed tie-ins they released), they were the ones who put their stamp of approval on meh-grade games, and they were the ones who charged $40 or $50 a pop for said games.

Even if no one in LJN proper wrote any of the game code, they were the ones who happily claimed all manner of crap games done fast and dirty to cynically cash in on video game adaptations of popular movies.

So yeah, they can own those games, because they obviously chose to do so and took the money for it all without a second thought or twinge of embarrassment.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

sinepost posted:

Basically, it depends on what you want to pay. The SD2IEC is the budget SD reader for the C64, but it's not that fast and isn't 100% compatible with all disk games. The 1541 Ultimate II is better all round, including near-complete compatibility with all games, but it's much more expensive.

Unless you're really hardcore about C64 I'd skip the 1541 Ultimate II. SD2IEC works with like 90% of all the games and the few that don't you can use the SD2IEC to write real floppies for. It's just too dang expensive.

Oh yeah, and anotha one

...as I harp on about things being too expensive :o:

flyboi fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 11, 2018

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I found a local person selling an original Analogue NT for pretty cheap. The original (non mini) model used some original NES guts instead of FPGA right? I’m assuming that means that the jailbreak firmware options for the mini aren’t available at all right? And it’s Analogue only?
I can’t seem to find a lot of information about the original model, googling almost always seems to bring up results for the NT mini.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Pegnose Pete posted:

I found a local person selling an original Analogue NT for pretty cheap. The original (non mini) model used some original NES guts instead of FPGA right? I’m assuming that means that the jailbreak firmware options for the mini aren’t available at all right? And it’s Analogue only?
I can’t seem to find a lot of information about the original model, googling almost always seems to bring up results for the NT mini.

Iirc it's a custom pcb and and they transplanted the original ppu from an NES to it.

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/216203167-Analogue-Nt-FAQ

"While the Analogue Nt is region free and uses the original Nintendo CPU and PPU"

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pegnose Pete posted:

yeah you don't want that thing lol it's just a hacked up rgb modded NES, stick with NT mini or whatever (or just get this which actually looks good

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Pegnose Pete posted:

It used the regular ppu & cpu and had an option for either analogue or hdmi depending on what they ordered. As for the extra cores I don't think they work on it as it uses the Hi-Def HDMI NES board.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Willo567 posted:

Why do Japanese players find the majority of trashy licensed games they played to be nostalgic and have fond memories of them, while the rest of the world hate them? Particularly the Famicom games in general

They don't, what the hell are you talking about.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Some original NTs had the HDMI NES mod built in, if that one does then it might be worth it.

e;fb

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ofecks posted:

LJN didn't make the games but pretty much everything they put out was complete poo poo and a lot of it was made by reputable developers whose non-LJN games were perfectly fine. Publishers have been wringing bad games out of good developers for a long time, this isn't anything new.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They don't, what the hell are you talking about.

he's talking about the whole kusoge thing where they're ironically into lovely games. there's not really an organized thing like that in the west where it's self aware, like if you call some british guy's favorite terrible ZX spectrum game lovely he'll get screechy but in japan they're like "oh lol yeah these games are trash but it's funny and interesting and btw we're japanese so we're going to become obsessive about this and make it a microculture"

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Thanks for the replies about the Analogue NT. I’m not sure interested in 8 but stuff, my nostalgia mostly starts at 16bit. The auction is at 5000 yen right now with nobody really bidding it on it, so I thought if it could load the other cores and rims from SD it would be worth a go. I will pass though, thanks again.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

d0s posted:

he's talking about the whole kusoge thing where they're ironically into lovely games. there's not really an organized thing like that in the west where it's self aware, like if you call some british guy's favorite terrible ZX spectrum game lovely he'll get screechy but in japan they're like "oh lol yeah these games are trash but it's funny and interesting and btw we're japanese so we're going to become obsessive about this and make it a microculture"

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry about the confusion everyone

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pegnose Pete posted:

Thanks for the replies about the Analogue NT. I’m not sure interested in 8 but stuff, my nostalgia mostly starts at 16bit. The auction is at 5000 yen right now with nobody really bidding it on it, so I thought if it could load the other cores and rims from SD it would be worth a go. I will pass though, thanks again.

Buy it and flip it on ebay

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
"people ironically being into lovely games" is hardly exclusive to Japan what are you crazy people even talking about

see also : AVGN as a whole, Awful Games Done Quick block

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 11, 2018

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Caitlin posted:

"people ironically being into lovely games" is hardly exclusive to Japan what are you crazy people even talking about

I sometimes get the impression that some Japanese players are into lovely games unironically

Like I'm not talking about kusoge tier stuff like Takeshi's Challenge or Atlantis no Nazo but licensed games such as Dragon Ball and Kinnikuman for the Famicom

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Willo567 posted:

I sometimes get the impression that some Japanese players are into lovely games unironically

Like I'm not talking about kusoge tier stuff like Takeshi's Challenge or Atlantis no Nazo but licensed games such as Dragon Ball and Kinnikuman for the Famicom

I'm one of the people in this thread who unironically likes FMV games and collects them and has a CIB copy of Takeshi no Chousenjo on a pedestal on my shelf, CD-i, 3DO - I have Shitlord Tier taste but I'll always warn people when it's bad.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
What's the best place to get little pedestals for displaying games? Craft stores like Michael's?

I see clear acrylic stands for sale in bulk online, but I don't need more than one or two to show off a complete Bullet Witch collection.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

I meant that japan has a little subculture around it not that like, nobody else does it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doc Morbid posted:

Cruis'n USA is one of those games that are pretty bad but playable enough not to be completely painful, and the soundtrack is so awful that it loops back around to being cool. I fire it up from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8cGdtkOS5s
honestly if it wasn't for the lovely moaning lady sound effect this would be a pretty okay piece of video game music

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Some dude has popped up on UK Ebay selling Japanese NTSC RGB modded N64's for £55 made to order, (Console Only) I'm seriously debating ordering one and selling off my PAL model as I am somewhat disappointed with the picture quality, I've already got the required leads and an Everdrive so could use De-blurred Roms to sharpen the image further I'm just not sure if it's going to be enough of an improvement to justify the expense.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I used to loooove crusin USA when I was a kid for some reason, there used to be a kinda ghetto "family fun center" very close to our house when that was big in arcades and I would always go there and play it as the hidden school bus. I'd also play the hell out of the namco cyber cycles they had there, really a much better game imo. when I heard crusin was coming out for N64 I was extremely hype but even though it was a great port I got tired of it in the home super quick and traded it to my friend for his entire atari jaguar setup- the console, 2 controllers and like 4 games (one of them being AVP). I still have all that stuff haha

I am super pissed cyber cycles never got ported to anything. I was always thinking it would get a psx port because ridge racer but it never happened

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It's not that great of a port to be honest. The arcade version looks a billion times better. I do like the game, though (in the arcade).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kid Fenris posted:

What's the best place to get little pedestals for displaying games? Craft stores like Michael's?

I see clear acrylic stands for sale in bulk online, but I don't need more than one or two to show off a complete Bullet Witch collection.

If you want to get fancy, I bought one of these a few years ago cause it looked interesting and ended up using it for a game. It's pretty big and could hold more, but I don't have anything else that's worth anything.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10390838/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sir Tonk posted:

If you want to get fancy, I bought one of these a few years ago cause it looked interesting and ended up using it for a game. It's pretty big and could hold more, but I don't have anything else that's worth anything.

Okay, so I'm guessing there's a pressure pad beneath the pedestal, maybe a laser grid within the case interior or through the glass. And that's not including whatever other security measures are in the room itself..

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

It's not that great of a port to be honest. The arcade version looks a billion times better. I do like the game, though (in the arcade).

Well the arcade version was mid res (24khz) versus N64's garbage video so yeah

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sir Tonk posted:

This is supervillain as gently caress and I love it :allears:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah I honestly haven't played it since trading it off so I'm probably misremembering it

e:

flyboi posted:

Well the arcade version was mid res (24khz) versus N64's garbage video so yeah

I seriously wish there were more mid res 2D sticks&buttons games, the nanao MS9 in my NAC can handle it and even auto syncs but there is just barely anything worthwhile/easily available in that res. I don't think I've ever seen a 24khz 2D game on a real arcade monitor but going by the 24khz X68000 games viewed on a NEC trisync CRT it's probably pretty awesome

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 11, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cruis'n usa was a pretty good game for what it was, but san francisco rush kinda murdered the older-school type of racing game that cruis'n represented. as soon as rush came along, cruis'n just felt instantly outdated as gently caress and i couldn't really go back to it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sir Tonk posted:

I wish this were larger, I want to put my PC-FX in it. That's probably the rarest / coolest retro thing I have, I think.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Caitlin posted:

Lots of people play dota2

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Just pricecharted that GBA Ninja game. Why is it so spendy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

falz posted:

Just pricecharted that GBA Ninja game. Why is it so spendy?
Low print run, low sales and high praise from both reviewers and players.