Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Don’t have to pay benefits if nobody can sign up.

That’s called fiscal responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Well I got my final VA letter saying that I have exhausted my MGIB benefits. Counting Yellow Ribbon it was worth just over $240,000 in total. Errybody get out, errybody use your GI Bill. Go to full unrestricted yellow ribbon schools, because LMAO this poo poo was thoroughly good. I should be able to finish my MD with under $90,000 in debt if I scrimp a bit here and there next year.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

TheQuietWilds posted:

Errybody get out, errybody use your GI Bill.

After medically retiring due to Afghanistan lungs, I went back to school. The GI Bill paid for my mechanical and aerospace engineering degrees. I start my new job after graduation this year. The GI Bill gave me a fresh start.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I’m using vocational rehabilitation. Started as a photographer. Bought a new camera and laptop to edit stuff. Changed degree plans semesters later. I have a few years of school left. I smoke weed, play with my kids and enjoy my loving life.

I’m gonna use whatever GI Bill benefits I have left after I’m done with VRE

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

TheQuietWilds posted:

Well I got my final VA letter saying that I have exhausted my MGIB benefits. Counting Yellow Ribbon it was worth just over $240,000 in total. Errybody get out, errybody use your GI Bill. Go to full unrestricted yellow ribbon schools, because LMAO this poo poo was thoroughly good. I should be able to finish my MD with under $90,000 in debt if I scrimp a bit here and there next year.

Did you use Post 9/11 or Voc Rehab? If you've only used 36 months you potentially have more benefits remaining.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When I graduate I will still have some GI Bill left that I may not care to use. Can I forfeit the remaining and get my $1200 back? Or should I go gently caress around at a community college?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

When I graduate I will still have some GI Bill left that I may not care to use. Can I forfeit the remaining and get my $1200 back? Or should I go gently caress around at a community college?
They're not going to let you do associate level stuff if you have a bachelors and it doesn't fit into some sort of continuing education.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can you transfer remaining benefits or is it an all or nothing thing?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

Did you use Post 9/11 or Voc Rehab? If you've only used 36 months you potentially have more benefits remaining.

I used Post-9/11 but am not disabled. Another 12 months would be amazing, but oh well.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

TheQuietWilds posted:

I used Post-9/11 but am not disabled. Another 12 months would be amazing, but oh well.

Disabled is a broad concept for VR&E. 10% for tinnitus is enough to qualify for the program.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

boop the snoot posted:

Or should I go gently caress around at a community college?

I would hold onto it for now. You may end up needing a master's in the future.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

I came back to college as a Junior and still had 15 months left when I graduated. Just kept it in my back pocket and now Im a Masters student as a side hustle after working just as an engineer for four years. You get a lot more mileage out of those academic licenses. And free Amazon poo poo!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A dude I know will be getting out of the navy soon and he is going to go to a community college when he gets out.

I'm not sure if I should let him, or tell him to flex the DD214 and apply to better schools.

I'm probably going to keep the rest of my GI Bill in my back pocket for when/if I pursue a masters since it will pay for a semester.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I for one wish I had spent longer at city college grabbing my calculus and physics and poo poo rather than wasting whole semesters' worth of it failing those classes over and over again at a big university

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It can't hurt for him to spend some time at a community college, especially as a way to ease back into civ life. He certainly should apply to more places, though. Better to aim high, and all that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

It can't hurt for him to spend some time at a community college, especially as a way to ease back into civ life. He certainly should apply to more places, though. Better to aim high, and all that.

His plan is associates degree and then open a gym. He hasn't thought much beyond that.

And I suspect he is picking CC because he misses his girlfriend, and the town she is in only has a CC.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

DownByTheWooter posted:

I for one wish I had spent longer at city college grabbing my calculus and physics and poo poo rather than wasting whole semesters' worth of it failing those classes over and over again at a big university

I should have done this on my NG scholarship. I'm 2 semesters in and barely starting my degree program after all the core poo poo I needed. Riding the strugglebus through college algebra with a developmental portion after a semester of developmental prep class.

Glad they have a BA for computer science as an option so I can skip all the physics and chemistry bullshit in lieu of CS electives though.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I'm amazed that my college considers bowling a 'exercise science' class.

But, hey, it's my last semester before I transfer to big-boy college, so what do I care. :shrug:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

A dude I know will be getting out of the navy soon and he is going to go to a community college when he gets out.

I'm not sure if I should let him, or tell him to flex the DD214 and apply to better schools.

I'm probably going to keep the rest of my GI Bill in my back pocket for when/if I pursue a masters since it will pay for a semester.

If he has zero college, or very little, it might be his only shot. That or pray he did well enough in high school. You still have to get accepted, a DD 214 isn’t a magic ticket (well, it is, but for other reasons)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Do a community college for two years, preferably out of pocket using state vet goodies, then transfer to a real school and use the GI bill. But that assumes that you have actual ambition, if he just wants to open a gym then gently caress it run that GI Bill down.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

boop the snoot posted:

His plan is associates degree and then open a gym. He hasn't thought much beyond that.

And I suspect he is picking CC because he misses his girlfriend, and the town she is in only has a CC.

The other thing is that CC tends to be so cheep that it hits the break even point where the interest on a student loan is much much less than the money you'd lose by burning GI bill time on a CC budget.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, I’ve taken math 3 loving times and I only needed one class. They wouldn’t accept the other two. They did accept a local community colleges.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

After I got off the ship in WA, I got back up to speed with math by taking Multi-variable Calc, Diff Eqs, and Physics 2 at the local CC. Professors were actually engaged in the material rather than it just being some bs they had to teach while they were doing research. A+++ decision would do again.

Just needed the syllabi from the classes and all 3 transferred back to PSU no questions asked.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My only advice to the guy was to put in applications at a few four year schools he would be interested in going to (and not just schools he thinks he could get into) just to see what happens, and to make a specific plan rather than a vague one.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

boop the snoot posted:

My only advice to the guy was to put in applications at a few four year schools he would be interested in going to (and not just schools he thinks he could get into) just to see what happens, and to make a specific plan rather than a vague one.

Tell him he should decide to be smart and not dumb.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

lightpole posted:

really really good advice

This whole college thing would go a lot easier for me if I was smart and not dumb

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

lightpole posted:

Already an impossible task, as he earned a GI bill.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

M_Gargantua posted:

Already an impossible task, as he earned a GI bill.

Not sure that doubling down on stupidity is ever a winning strategy. He needs to learn to cut his losses.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm pro CC for people starting out because the professors are actually just hired to be teachers where a good chunk of your intro classes at a four year school will be taught by grad students.

Florida also has rules that if you get an associates from a state CC you have auto acceptance into any state school. It doesn't mean your program of choice has to accept you, but if you get an AA from TCC you can go to FAMU, FSU, UF, UCF, etc. without worrying about the school itself accepting or rejecting you.

I agree with vas that it's cheap enough you shouldn't waste GI bill on CC in most cases and instead should just work that part off with scholarships, grants, and loans since it's cheap enough and use GI bill on finishing your degree and any graduate work you might want to do.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 11, 2018

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

SquirrelyPSU posted:

After I got off the ship in WA, I got back up to speed with math by taking Multi-variable Calc, Diff Eqs, and Physics 2 at the local CC. Professors were actually engaged in the material rather than it just being some bs they had to teach while they were doing research. A+++ decision would do again.

Just needed the syllabi from the classes and all 3 transferred back to PSU no questions asked.

I did the same thing. It was great having only 30-60 people in my chemistry, physics, and math classes at CC instead of doing whatever horror occurs in something like this:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
^ The intro Chem and Physics classes at my university have hundreds of students per section. We took all of our exams for Gen Chem 1 and 2 in the basketball arena lol

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just lol if you don't have to buy a clicker remote in order to get your daily participation points that are worth 20% of your grade

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Just lol if you don't have to buy a clicker remote in order to get your daily participation points that are worth 20% of your grade
ffffffffffffffffffff

Those things are so loving stupid and they'll make you pay out the rear end for one.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I can just shout out answers in class even if I have no clue since 30 is a large class and most people don't want to answer even easy, obvious questions.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I went back to community college for ~50 credits after being an abysmal student in high school and failing out of college in my early 20s. Now I'm basically in my last full time semester at a large state university, worked pretty well in terms of math/lower level gen ed. I doubt I'd have been as successful jumping back into a 4 year even if they had taken me.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Naked Bear posted:

ffffffffffffffffffff

Those things are so loving stupid and they'll make you pay out the rear end for one.

I did that for Physics last semester. I could either buy a brand new one for $100+, or rent one for $14.

I chose to rent one.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

DoktorLoken posted:

I went back to community college for ~50 credits after being an abysmal student in high school and failing out of college in my early 20s. Now I'm basically in my last full time semester at a large state university, worked pretty well in terms of math/lower level gen ed. I doubt I'd have been as successful jumping back into a 4 year even if they had taken me.

Yeah I dunno about the financial aspect, but CC was great for me as well. Smaller class sizes and profs that were engaged with the class. I have no plan to go for a masters though, so ymmv. But it definitely beat the hell out of my first attempt at college when I got out of the Army and was having that transition adjustment poo poo going on while in 200 person lecture classes.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Fan of CC here, too. Especially if your college has a setup with some four-year schools and allow you to dual enroll and transfer your credits. I only wish I had known about it earlier, and not wasted some of my credits.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

there's a smartphone app for those clicker things and it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

there's a smartphone app for those clicker things and it's free.

NO CELL PHONE USAGE IN CLASS I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL GIVE YOU AN F FOR PARTICIPATION IF I CATCH YOU