Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

Not personally, I got a Windows tablet myself, but there are a ton of reviews of cheap Chinese tablets on https://techtablets.com. The Amazon one's a good idea though.

That said if you want it for your car, consider getting a cheap Android stereo instead. It will be a bit more expensive then a bottom-tier tablet but I'd say it's worth it for not having to gently caress around with the hardware and software trying to get it to work properly. I tried to get a Nexus 7 and never really got it to work to my satisfaction. Just the hardware volume or playback controls are worth it.

It’s for a digital dashboard, but your point still stands about trying to get everything to talk to each other. Thanks for the site recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
I bought one of those big chunky weave blankets for Christmas, and it’s made of polyester and has covered every single thing in my apartment with tiny bits of shedded fluff.

Honestly, pretty reasonable for the price point.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Those huge-scale knitted blankets are never not going to turn into a mess. They're always soft, very loosely spun singles, which is the opposite of what you want for durability. Even if it were wool, it'd shed, pill, felt, and generally get nasty soon. I agree the concept looks great, but irl it just needs to never be touched.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you can wait a day I'll get a list from my wife, she's going to make me go broke but her nails are amazing.

I certainly can wait for help. I didn’t get her stamping stuff for Christmas and again did not buy it for her bday. I think she will be pleased whenever I manage to get her a set.

Thank you and tell your wife thank you!

I received my telephoto lens yesterday. Unfortunately, my owl did not come to visit last night and I did not have the lens with me when a family of foxes went trotting past. The foxes were probably hunting the owl. So I took pictures of one of the squirrels this morning to show picture quality. Since The sun was glaring off my phone, all I could make out on my screen was a vaguely squirrel shaped shadow. Sorry about the lovely focus.

But at least I took the time to make the images look like motivational posters in photoshop express on iPad.

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 8, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
I'd been looking at this and once it came on a sale, I just had to have one ( I got mine for 8.30$, it's currently 9.11$):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FS-...0004759150.html

It's really nice, big and wide like the pic. The scarves come in a great variety of colours and IT IS SO SHINY AND SMOOTH ITS UNBELIEVABLE. If the label can be trusted, it is 80% silk, 20% polyester and it feels great.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Is there a way to access created wishlists on mobile? I think I have that from another seller, still on sale, in my scarves wishlist.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

Is there a way to access created wishlists on mobile? I think I have that from another seller, still on sale, in my scarves wishlist.

Yes go to my account and favorites

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
e: okay on mobile apparently all your wishlists are collapsed into the main list

ANYWAY here's those scarves for $7.74
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32801211819.html

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 9, 2018

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

e: okay on mobile apparently all your wishlists are collapsed into the main list

ANYWAY here's those scarves for $7.74
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32801211819.html

Thanks, perfect impulse purchase in terms of cuteness, justifiable utility, and price point

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Thanks AliExpress, I've transformed from a human to a SoundCloud icon for the cost of a Big Mac value meal.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got this set of lenses for my phone and they aren't half bad
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/APEXEL-7-in-1-Phone-Lens-Kit-Fisheye-fish-eye-super-Wide-Angle-macro-Lens-CPL/32813157327.html

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
mate you can't just post that and not discuss your cats bow-tie

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

he wears lots of ties, that one has little hearts on it for valentines day. before that he was sporting a mushroom print one. hes got a bunch of crochet ones that my mom made him too.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Thanks AliExpress, I've transformed from a human to a SoundCloud icon for the cost of a Big Mac value meal.

HOLY poo poo! BADASS!!

YOS POS BICTH

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

PokeJoe posted:

he wears lots of ties, that one has little hearts on it for valentines day. before that he was sporting a mushroom print one. hes got a bunch of crochet ones that my mom made him too.

Nice! I wish my cat wouldn't immediately try to take off any kind of collar.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

more cat lens:

https://i.imgur.com/nPHbpvp.gifv

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I suppose this could be considered NWS.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

PokeJoe posted:

sometimes my cat sports a mushroom print too

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I suppose this could be considered NWS.

So....is it a cockring?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I searched for 'octopus' and this chair came up. I think it is a special blow job chair...?

Multifunctional Sex Chair for making love Octopus chair sex furniture fun hotel sex happy chairs
http://s.aliexpress.com/f6FJJNBv

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bored posted:

I certainly can wait for help. I didn’t get her stamping stuff for Christmas and again did not buy it for her bday. I think she will be pleased whenever I manage to get her a set.

Thank you and tell your wife thank you!

Right, late but here we go:

There's no reason to buy direct from the born pretty website, Ali is always cheaper.
For a beginner the following is good starter information:

If you search for starter sets they're fine, you'll end up with a couple of colours, a couple of plates, a clear stamper and a scraper. You can however make your own starter set for a little more money that will do much better. Get a set of plates to start with, note the big designs are good because you can use different parts on different nails for a design that flows from mail to nail, example:

http://s.aliexpress.com/yuQZvyQn

See the round plate with a single large design? There's a hundred ways to use that single plate. There are also 10 packs of the round plate that work out to about £0.60 each.

You'll quickly have loads of plates, get an organiser straight away before you damage or scratch them:

http://s.aliexpress.com/yUJZf2mi

Just an example.

For a beginner the clear stampers are okay but the opaque ones are stickier, get one of each to start with, they might come with plastic scrapers, if not use an old store card or credit card, never a metal scraper.

Nail polish: get born pretty again, they're good. Their metallics are very good. There's a difference between the small 6ml and large 10-15ml formula, get the larger ones they're easier to work with. A set of 6 basics like this:

http://s.aliexpress.com/raUruuIN

Is a great start, add colours to this and you're away.

Any born pretty plate is good, they're so cheap you'll end up with dozens anyway but a note on sizes, there are large rectangular plates with 2 or 3 rows of designs, depending on nail size the smaller designs (3 rows) can't be used on larger nails, they simply won't cover. You can use an element from those in a larger more complex design but that's not starter stuff.

Try not to start with designs that have large areas of colour in the plate like this:

http://s.aliexpress.com/QFF7r6f2

The scraper has to not dip into that area and initially that's difficult to control.

Don't let the polish dry on the plate or stamper. Even with acetone is difficult to really clean the plate if left to dry. The stamper is worse, throw it away if it gets dried on, trying to clean it a day later will result in it tearing and splitting.

The basics are obviously
Clean nails really well, oil will ruin everything or cause it to not last.
Polish onto plate
Scrape level
Roll stamper over the image
Pick off any bits you don't want transferred
Stamp onto nail

The clear stampers let you see what you're doing but the opaque ones are stickier and easier for beginners

She also says to avoid plates labelled BC XY or JQ series, I don't know why.

If you've specific questions I'll get those answered too, YouTube videos and practice are the best way to learn otherwise.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

more cat lens:

Quick heads up, I believe your cat is reaching its final form. Remember to put them down before they finish their speech about good and evil being meaningless and powering up

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

drat you small Asian measurements! (and french fries)

Shirts Satanic Cat Purr Evil For Men

Trusty Unicorn Evil Dragons Women Men T shirt Fire Tee

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 11, 2018

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bored posted:

So....is it a cockring?

It is indeed.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 11, 2018

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Rondette posted:

I searched for 'octopus' and this chair came up. I think it is a special blow job chair...?

Multifunctional Sex Chair for making love Octopus chair sex furniture fun hotel sex happy chairs
http://s.aliexpress.com/f6FJJNBv

This would definitely assist cunning linguists... I want to stay at the hotels the seller has been staying at (I think?)

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

It's actually really expensive for an alix pin, even if you buy 50.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...82-d79ea1d9c526

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
dick towel

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

lmao that lady's reaction in one of the pictures

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Anyone want to share great cat toys they've found there? My little dude loves the feather wands, but any other cool suggestions are appreciated.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Got my QShave razor today. This thing is pretty awesome actually, it's a Merkur Futur but for about 1/10th the price. A real gem if you're in to dirt cheap but still good shaving like me. (Don't use the included blades, I use Feather exclusively)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Got my QShave razor today. This thing is pretty awesome actually, it's a Merkur Futur but for about 1/10th the price. A real gem if you're in to dirt cheap but still good shaving like me. (Don't use the included blades, I use Feather exclusively)

Hmmmm.... I am dirt cheap and shaving my head is a surprising amount of hair upkeep. It's a lot of working being bald. How many uses do those safety razors last?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bummey posted:

Hmmmm.... I am dirt cheap and shaving my head is a surprising amount of hair upkeep. It's a lot of working being bald. How many uses do those safety razors last?

Might wanna consider giving magic shave a go

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Bummey posted:

I bought a pack of blades for $15 (I think it was 50 blades) sometime in late 2016 and I still have a month or two's worth left. I shave 2 to 3 times a week for reference. You'd probably go through them a bit faster to maintain a smooth bald look but it should still cost peanuts in the long run.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 12, 2018

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Right, late but here we go:

There's no reason to buy direct from the born pretty website, Ali is always cheaper.
For a beginner the following is good starter information:

If you search for starter sets they're fine, you'll end up with a couple of colours, a couple of plates, a clear stamper and a scraper. You can however make your own starter set for a little more money that will do much better. Get a set of plates to start with, note the big designs are good because you can use different parts on different nails for a design that flows from mail to nail, example:

http://s.aliexpress.com/yuQZvyQn

See the round plate with a single large design? There's a hundred ways to use that single plate. There are also 10 packs of the round plate that work out to about £0.60 each.

You'll quickly have loads of plates, get an organiser straight away before you damage or scratch them:

http://s.aliexpress.com/yUJZf2mi

Just an example.

For a beginner the clear stampers are okay but the opaque ones are stickier, get one of each to start with, they might come with plastic scrapers, if not use an old store card or credit card, never a metal scraper.

Nail polish: get born pretty again, they're good. Their metallics are very good. There's a difference between the small 6ml and large 10-15ml formula, get the larger ones they're easier to work with. A set of 6 basics like this:

http://s.aliexpress.com/raUruuIN

Is a great start, add colours to this and you're away.

Any born pretty plate is good, they're so cheap you'll end up with dozens anyway but a note on sizes, there are large rectangular plates with 2 or 3 rows of designs, depending on nail size the smaller designs (3 rows) can't be used on larger nails, they simply won't cover. You can use an element from those in a larger more complex design but that's not starter stuff.

Try not to start with designs that have large areas of colour in the plate like this:

http://s.aliexpress.com/QFF7r6f2

The scraper has to not dip into that area and initially that's difficult to control.

Don't let the polish dry on the plate or stamper. Even with acetone is difficult to really clean the plate if left to dry. The stamper is worse, throw it away if it gets dried on, trying to clean it a day later will result in it tearing and splitting.

The basics are obviously
Clean nails really well, oil will ruin everything or cause it to not last.
Polish onto plate
Scrape level
Roll stamper over the image
Pick off any bits you don't want transferred
Stamp onto nail

The clear stampers let you see what you're doing but the opaque ones are stickier and easier for beginners

She also says to avoid plates labelled BC XY or JQ series, I don't know why.

If you've specific questions I'll get those answered too, YouTube videos and practice are the best way to learn otherwise.

Thank you! I went back and forth between this and the Ali app. I couldn't find the same color collections, but I believe my roommate's daughter has a massive collection of nail polishes, including some born pretty. So I got the 15ml black and white bases and a clear top coat. Should I have gotten a clear base coat as well?

Some of the sellers are on vacation until the 23rd, so my stuff probably won't arrive for quite awhile.

Does your wife get born pretty uv gels as well? I got some of those for her and a USB uv lamp with good reviews.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32795584901/32795584901.html

Thank you for the scraper advice since I almost got a metal one. I think both of the Stampers came with plastic scrapers. And I wouldn't even have thought about getting a case for the plates.

Bored fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 12, 2018

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bummey posted:

Shaving my head is way too much work, I just use clippers. But I do use double edge razors for my face, they last 10-30 shaves depending on how dull you can stand. Don't leave them in the shower or they will rust and dull faster. The cool part is that you can buy really nice blades (I like feather) for something like 100/$20.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have an old Gillette twist-to-open (fatboy? adjustable) that was apparently my great-grandfather's. It's pretty good and serves as my travel razor. At home I use some knockoff double-edge razor like posted above, and it's great.

Seconding the Feather blades. I do leave mine in the shower, but hung up on a 3D printed mount that hangs on the shower bar. It still dulls pretty quick, but I get at least a week out of each blade. That's pretty good for 15 cents.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

are the cost savings really worth the extra effort with using a safety razor

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

are the cost savings really worth the extra effort with using a safety razor

What extra effort?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Heads up!

Chinese New Year is being celebrated right now until the 23rd. I have at least two items that won't be shipped until after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A few more of my things came in over the past week: the face vibe (I can't wait to use it), a bare-bones and boring but slim case for my old-rear end tablet (with a pointless mini-stylus phone-dangle freebie tossed in), and this charming shower curtain:

[MIAOJI] Lovely Owl Cartoon Kids Girl Cute Printed Polyester Fabric Bathroom Shower Curtain with Hooks Free Shipping

Available in many varieties and sizes, including one that fits my shower stall nicely without excess fabric wrapping around my wet self mid-shower. Good quality, too, with sturdy grommets and even a set of hanger-rings thrown in that'd do the trick if you didn't already have any. The seller wrote to me shortly after I'd ordered it, asking me not to rate them badly, to work with them before opening any disputes. But everything went fine, so I'm not sure what they were worried about. It's a custom-made product, I guess, and I could see some people getting tetchy if it took too long.

Speaking of feedback: I've been very careful to mark my orders as having been received and leaving feedback for each one. Oddly, I got a message the other day saying the seller had left feedback on an order. I looked all through the Feedback sections of the Website, but I can't find any seller's feedback--just my own. What am I missing?