Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Has anyone else noticed the auto resolves being a bit funky lately? I saw some screenshots of auto resolves of similar experiences lately.

Noticed a increase in having artillery picked off in auto resolves against inferior numbers or a friends case of a full dwarf stack with plenty of range firepower vs a 6 unit border prince garrison losing 50% of his army with some enemy crossbows getting 400+ kills, which wouldn't even be possible to do before running out on ammo against dwarf warriors.

Taking the time to play the battles out would result in barely any damage taken before the other side gets blown away out of range or routed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Blinks77 posted:

What else does it do? I thought it just unlocked the ability to play any faction.

Going to repost my summary / complaint about this from a while back:

Kestral posted:

The version of the mod Crynsos has chosen to bring over the Warhammer 2 is his "Faction Unlocker+", which make a lot of changes to starting units, starting provinces, removing Isabella von Carstein as a Lord and making her into a hero, adding a new Empire LL for Nuln, "improves all factions with unique starting units, Faction Traits, etc.," Regiments of Renown respawn 5-15% less often, Malagor and Morghur spawn locations are swapped to be "lore accurate" (he loves this term), etc.

Crynsos is planning to expand on this considerably, to the point where some factions won't even be recognizable. From his Patreon:

Crynsos's Patreon posted:

Some things that have not been implemented yet but are planned to come soon:

Split up the Norsca tribes, which will add 4 new factions which will infight quite a lot.

Split up the Southern Realms City-States, to make the southern Old World more loreful.

Erengrad as a secondary Kislev faction, which seceded from Katarin's rule.

Expanding my settlement customization framework to all Warhammer 2 regions, to make it possible for modders to place unique landmarks and thelike in whatever settlements they want.

Expanding my Legendary Lord customization framework to all Warhammer 2 Faction Leaders.

Improvements to many factions in regards to starting settlement buildings and units.

Future Plans without a definite time of release:

Revival of the Pirates of Sartosa Faction, most likely based around the concept of Black Arks, potentially with some Norscan coastal settlement influences, in cooperation with Cataph

Revival of the Bowmen of Oreon, most likely as a form of Horde faction

Creating a Kemmler + Krell Horde faction, which will be based around harassment and hit-and-run attacks with quick replenishment rather than aiming for conquering the World. Might also be able to settle.

Since he posted that in January, he's also changed how rebellion stacks populate, and has committed to "the re-implementation of Oreon's Bowmen in ME, Sartosa and Kemmler & Krell army" from the WH1 version of the mod.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 12, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It sounds good, I just wish he would have it as optional mods instead of attached to the faction unlocker.

I just want to try cataph's faction's, I don't want every other little change with no ability to pick or choose.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has anyone else noticed the auto resolves being a bit funky lately? I saw some screenshots of auto resolves of similar experiences lately.

I suspected that the Better Autoresolve mod I was using was the culprit, but if this is vanilla, then yes I'm experiencing it occasionally too. I assume it has to be a weird interaction with ranged units, because I've seen Night Gobbo Archers, Spider Rider Archers, and Dwarf Miners with explosive charges pulling in a 100 kills while the rest of their army does jack poo poo. These kills are usually spread out among my army, but sometimes an artillery crew gets decimated or so.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It sounds good, I just wish he would have it as optional mods instead of attached to the faction unlocker.

I hope so too, but considering he's been having a hell of a time with his instant item/quest battle mods, as well as keeping the Community Modding Framework updated and consistent, I think he's letting it all bloat because maintaining separate mods and compatibility among all them is getting too difficult.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 12, 2018

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
People who play Dwarfs on VH, how do you play out your early game now that Greenskins are a serious threat again? Do you just write off Pillars and Squighorn as lost causes once the Waaghs start showing up? Is it worth (or even possible) rushing up to Gunbad for the income? In general, what moves are you making to get a foothold and not get plowed under by the green tide?

For what it's worth, I'm intending to play as Grombrindal, and Karaz-a-Karak will have its GCCM map, which looks like a bastard to assault.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Kestral posted:

People who play Dwarfs on VH, how do you play out your early game now that Greenskins are a serious threat again? Do you just write off Pillars and Squighorn as lost causes once the Waaghs start showing up? Is it worth (or even possible) rushing up to Gunbad for the income? In general, what moves are you making to get a foothold and not get plowed under by the green tide?

For what it's worth, I'm intending to play as Grombrindal, and Karaz-a-Karak will have its GCCM map, which looks like a bastard to assault.

You should have the entire Silver road within 3 Turns or so? 2 Maybe?

Gunbad is a trap.

Start aiming south. The Green tide will come, so best you get down there and start killing them soon as you can. The less they can build up and snowball the less you'll have to deal with.
Diplomacy is important. Do not get into some war with Barak Var and/or the Ungri.

Be ready to pull back.
Investment wise i build a farm in Pillar and Squig anything else is very much an eyeball job. Of the two Pillars is the one i'd upgrade first as you can more easily reinforce from Karaz.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kestral posted:

The Dwarf start is easier than it looks: Waaaghs! are scary, but you can immediately gun for T2 Karaz-a-Karak, which lets you have a gem mine, toolmaker's shop, and a siege workshop. That means you can afford a full stack and also recruit Grudge Throwers nearly right out of the gate, which will let you beat anything the Greenskins and their Waaaghs! can throw at you with good defensive play. With Grombrindal, this is even easier as you can get 3-rank veterancy on your units out of the gate, use your Irondrakes as a powerful mass-killer while Grombrindal tanks, your Hammerers to help out Grombrindal against Grimgor, and most importantly your Gyrocopter to kill off Grimgor's starting Doom Diver and any other Greenskin artillery.

Your observation re: Karaz-a-Karak is correct; even a T2 garrison would be hell to beat for a full T1 Greenskin army and Waaagh!. This means that you can have Grombrindal's army defend the two regions, and also sack Karag Dron when it's open (don't take it just yet though). Ensuring that the Greenskins keep breaking themselves on your armies and settlements is key: Grimgor confederates so quickly that he gets into fights all the time, and losing enough times will get even him to accept an offer of peace. Once that happens, you can sweep into what's likely to be Barak Varr's burning corpse for more income, and eventually present a united front with multiple armies against Grimgor.

FWIW, the start is significantly much more hectic than before, and I usually can't spare the dwarfs to take Gunbad until I can break Grimgor first. By then he's probably confederated the northern Orcs, so Gunbad is an issue for another hellwar. Also, when you start that second hellwar, gun for Black Crag with two or more armies ASAP to deny Grimgor his higher-tier unit recruitment and gold mine. As a walled settlement with buildable garrison, it'll hold after you take it.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Echoing the above Dwarf advice with the addition that obtaining Lightning Strike on the back of your 3 chevron veterancy skill for Grombrindal is a good idea. If you Lightning Strike down the host army the Waagh disperses, and you can launch LS while besieged/encircled. I’ve had a few times where Ungrim Ironfist has taken apart three stacks of Norscans or Skarsnik & pals piecemeal in one round thanks to tactical withdrawals and judicious target selection.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

ZearothK posted:

There is. Though you may consider it a bit overdone with everything it adds. It's a cool one, though.

Ugh yeah this is too much. I just want adalhard/bohemond/errantry dudes to have some trait other than the randomly generated one.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah lightning strike and + underway interception is king on dwarfs now since they are ways to snipe the lead army. I had succes playing very grindy, basically just holding silver road and then sacking a bit if I killed all invading stacks, until walls were everywhere. Then rinse and repeat with BV and Black Crag. Also, to that end get growth early on. Farms in your minors and rush the "heavy quernstones" tech (iirc it's third in line after the initial + settlement income and then +toolmaker income techs) before spending a while on the military tree. Also I usually don't bother deleting the warrior building in the capital. By the time you're pressed for slots you'll have way more luxury to delete it and way more slots to build another one somewhere. In the mean time you can get quarrelers much earlier.

I also do the super easy intro quest immediately after getting squighorn for the runesmith, and if there are no menacing orc armies, chainsack Karag Dron or the closest Scabby Eye settlement to keep leveling if you don't want to push. Be cautious about occupying/moving forward because the green hordes are much harder to ambush or lightning strike if you're in their territory and since they're three or four factions to your one, they are apt to show up and invade Silver Road while you push elsewhere.

Also yeah get GCCM and glory in that loving Karaz-a-Karak battlemap.

It's really one campaign where I found slow and steady really does work, bc as long as you can force either walled battles or interceptions/lightning strikes, your army is going to win. Getting overextended or counterattacked at an inopportune moment is the way to lose. To that end, having a campaign hero or two to lurk forward to scout is very helpful.

toasterwarrior posted:

I hope so too, but considering he's been having a hell of a time with his instant item/quest battle mods, as well as keeping the Community Modding Framework updated and consistent, I think he's letting it all bloat because maintaining separate mods and compatibility among all them is getting too difficult.

I get not wanting to deal with every little change being separate, but would one "faction unlocker" that is just that and one "Crysnos' changes" mod that requires it and does all the other stuff, be that much extra work? I can't imagine the base faction unlocking part needs nearly as much updating and tweaking?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 12, 2018

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think the faction unlocked is cool in concept but I also don’t like extra changes that Crynos adds, both between a gameplay and cross-mod compatibility sense, and I found it pretty funny that the workshop page has this huge bold block of text at the bottom

quote:

Regarding reports about Beastmen taking over Naggaroth being caused by this mod:
I do not modify anything about Beastmen, Dark Elves or anyone else in Naggaroth, so stop blaming this mod for what is either a vanilla issue or caused by another mod.

:rolleyes:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think the faction unlocked is cool in concept but I also don’t like extra changes that Crynos adds, both between a gameplay and cross-mod compatibility sense, and I found it pretty funny that the workshop page has this huge bold block of text at the bottom

:rolleyes:

Started 4 games just to see. Two with Crysnos (only), two without.

Both Crysnos games, Beastmen wiped out Not-Canada by turn 50. Both non-Crysnos games, this did not happen.

But okay, Cryssy!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

ChickenWing posted:

I'm a page late to songchat but now I want AssCreed Black Flag shanties, but for your units that are winning their fights

Never realised until now how much I needed this.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Devorum posted:

Started 4 games just to see. Two with Crysnos (only), two without.

Both Crysnos games, Beastmen wiped out Not-Canada by turn 50. Both non-Crysnos games, this did not happen.

But okay, Cryssy!

Its simple: He adds more Beastmen factions, this leads to them being able to overpower certain areas like Naggaroth

In other words, Crynsos seems a bit dense if he doesn't understand this fact.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Could my extensive, map-wide mod be causing unintentional AI consequences?

No, it’s the users who are wrong.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
What's the big deal with claiming the black pyramid as Settra? Started the TKs last night and held off on completing my starting province so I could take the pyramid but unless I'm missing something it doesnt seem to do much.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

It's got that unique pyramid building don't it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yesterday I learned just how much morale damage, and uh, actual legitimate murder, warpfire throwers cause. They're kind of a pain to use well but holy poo poo I'm in love

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You should try out the revised dwarf flamers. Also flame cannons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

S.J. posted:

Yesterday I learned just how much morale damage, and uh, actual legitimate murder, warpfire throwers cause. They're kind of a pain to use well but holy poo poo I'm in love

They do some incredible work. 1 or 2 volleys and you have at least a rout, more likely a decimated squad that can't do anything anymore.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've had max-vet Flame Cannons murder Chosen in custom battle. That's kinda hosed up, considering they can get way more bonuses in the campaign.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Best part about projectiles that do morale damage like that is that most of them have pretty good splash, and hitting a clump of 3 or more units all blobbed up can make them all chain route.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mind you, I'm still glad for the Flame Cannon buffs. Finally they deserve their price tag and extremely time-consuming investment. Kinda funny how the same patch that earned Rangers a place in my army composition was the same one that definitely obsoleted any crossbow unit in a late-game composition.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Not a bad thing. I like seeing progression in these very long games. ME takes forever to complete, so it's kind of refreshing having different parts of the game feature vastly different army comps. It used to just be "more longbeards and quarrelers, maybe thunderers" the entire game. Murdering dwarfs is never fun, and it's not even cathartic, but variety is fun.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why Longbeards? I thought hammerers / ironbreakers were basically better, and in late-game singleplayer do you really need to worry that much about army cost?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Why Longbeards? I thought hammerers / ironbreakers were basically better, and in late-game singleplayer do you really need to worry that much about army cost?

Hammerers don't have charge defense versus large, Ironbreakers don't have armor-piercing. But I guess it's more of that Longbeards and Quarrelers/Thunderers are extremely cost-efficient in singleplayer, and that taking the time to train them instead of just rolling the world isn't worth the opportunity cost.

But it sure as hell looks cool when your army is shooting rockets/cannonballs/flamethrowers/fireballs/explosive charges at everything instead of crossbow bolts and artisinal catapult rocks.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 12, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Mzbundifund posted:

Longbeards don't need any support buildings to recruit,just a tier 3 Barracks. Their great weapon version retains charge defense vs large as well.

Though with the changes to trade buildings, your gem mine in Karaz a Karak will give you discounts / veterancy to Hammerers/Ironbreakers which might be worth it if you're willing to spring for the Gromril Forge and Hall of Oaths.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

KazigluBey posted:

There was a post earlier in the thread that was a video of an Empire player siege-battling a HE AI, and I think the Empire stack was nothing but Helstorms, Morters and Grandcannons. The video just focused on one stretch of the wall, and what was happening to it. Anyone have a link handy?

seconding this. I'd like to see it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Noticed a increase in having artillery picked off in auto resolves against inferior numbers or a friends case of a full dwarf stack with plenty of range firepower vs a 6 unit border prince garrison losing 50% of his army with some enemy crossbows getting 400+ kills, which wouldn't even be possible to do before running out on ammo against dwarf warriors.

Taking the time to play the battles out would result in barely any damage taken before the other side gets blown away out of range or routed.

I had the same thing happen to me with some Skinks getting 200 kills against an army of Tomb Guard and Constructs. Two full units of TG's (who have silver shields mind you) got wiped out by a skirmisher unit that literally doesn't have enough ammo to get that many kills. Something is seriously hosed with autoresolve atm.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm not sure if auto resolve even takes shields into account. But I'm pretty sure the first thing it calculates is max damage from ranged units using all of their ammo before it even does anything else

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Make War Not Love is back

http://www.makewarnotlove.com/

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

albany academy posted:

It's got that unique pyramid building don't it

I guess it wouldn't feel right without a pyramid for a base.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Little awkward that Dawn of War 3 is in the mix considering it was about as well received as an fart in an elevator.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

S.J. posted:

I'm not sure if auto resolve even takes shields into account. But I'm pretty sure the first thing it calculates is max damage from ranged units using all of their ammo before it even does anything else

I think it does, or did in TWW1 anyway. It was easily-tested as brets vs the tiny greenskin rebel spawns. Once you start adding shielded peasants, the unshielded ones start dropping like flies while the shielded ones take reasonable damage. Even Alberic's Men-at-Arms were in danger of getting deleted if there were too many shield dudes to not take damage. I haven't played them in ME to compare though.

I'd really like a "protect these dudes" mechanic in autoresolve, for say, a wounded elite unit you don't want to risk. It would remove the unit from your victory calculations but in exchange protect it from damage to simulate you holding them back in the woods or whatever. If you end up losing though, they can still take damage/die despite not having contributed.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

AnEdgelord posted:

Little awkward that Dawn of War 3 is in the mix considering it was about as well received as an fart in an elevator.

They have also stopped making DLC/Expansions for it so god knows what they'd release if it won. They're probably counting on it and CoH2 getting shafted by Warhams.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
they have expressed resistance to making the auto resolve customizable or indeed good at all because they specifically want to make you play out battles. the auto resolve is there to help you out against small stacks. the philosophy has always been that its convenient for certain types of situations but represents a scenario that is worse than average

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gay Horney posted:

they have expressed resistance to making the auto resolve customizable or indeed good at all because they specifically want to make you play out battles. the auto resolve is there to help you out against small stacks. the philosophy has always been that its convenient for certain types of situations but represents a scenario that is worse than average

the philosophy is just kind of bad though. It's a total, unfun waste of time to load up an easy rear end fight because otherwise my wounded cannon will apparently charge headlong into the four remaining enemy units.

If every battle was a critical affair it'd be one thing but the way the campaigns are designed it's basically guaranteed that there will be many, many one-sided stomps.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

Yeah but if they had a decent auto-resolve mechanic, then AI vs AI mechanics would be a lot easier to balance too, no? Just up the randomness factor for them somewhat.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

This doesn't seem true. There are mods that change it, and they just buffed skaven autoresolve. It can be bugged without some kind of grand conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Senor Dog posted:

This doesn't seem true. There are mods that change it, and they just buffed skaven autoresolve. It can be bugged without some kind of grand conspiracy.

I think there are dev quotes to the effect. It's not a conspiracy, they just want to avoid having people autoresolve every battle.

I don't mind it being skewed towards playing out tough battles but stomps being appropriate stomps would be nice. It's better than in Rome 2 though where you'd lose equal amounts of every unit. 24 peasants, 24 peasants, 24 peasants, haha, what a stomp... 24 elite lancers... 24 elephants... oh no

Also, MP vs pubbies has shown me why elves shouldn't have mage lords. Net + double dragon bomb on the enemy's lord and best two units is hi-larious already and you have to actually get them close enough to net, especially if they fall for it the first time. It'd be pretty drat insane if you could just have a moon dragon mage fly up and cast it themselves.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 13, 2018