Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm just so sick of gunmetal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Design looks OK by me, though I'm not much for gunmetal either. Is this gonna be a stealth TOS reboot now?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nessus posted:

Design looks OK by me, though I'm not much for gunmetal either. Is this gonna be a stealth TOS reboot now?
This show is like 9 years before TOS so doubtful.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I like the reimagining. Twitter assholes are gonna rear end in a top hat, life is better if you ignore them.

Also, Amanda Tapping is an amazing person and actress and I would love to see her in Trek.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FlamingLiberal posted:

This show is like 9 years before TOS so doubtful.
Wasn't Spock already aboard? And Number One, the original one.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nessus posted:

Wasn't Spock already aboard? And Number One, the original one.

Yep. The same basic crew of "The Cage" should be on board, regardless of whether or no we see them on screen.

I actually like the new Enterprise design as it does feel like the old classic one while not feeling super dated. Discovery Starfleet uniforms still horribly suck though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hope they just give them the muted turtlenecks from The Cage and hand-wave it as a flagship/Constitution class thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

What's all this I'm hearing about Klingons having two, erm, staves of honour?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zurui posted:

I like the reimagining. Twitter assholes are gonna rear end in a top hat, life is better if you ignore them.

Also, Amanda Tapping is an amazing person and actress and I would love to see her in Trek.

No, no, Amanda Tapping is great. She just seemed so sad as a starship captain.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Astroman posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Imagine if the American Revolution was a scifi show. "We had to redesign the USS Constitution for a modern audience, nobody was going to take live oak planks and canvas sails seriously in 2018" *unveils CGI Constitution with bloom-hazed gunmetal hull and glowing teal sails with speed holes in the mainmast* :c00lbert:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If you displayed both the original design and the atrocity together, the atrocity would inescapably look like an atrocity.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Richard Dean Anderson or Michael Shanks for Disco Captain in season 2.

Alternatively, Christopher Judge for Disco Captain in season 2.

Doug Jones for Disco Captain in Season 2, imo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gonz posted:

Alternatively, Christopher Judge for Disco Captain in season 2.

No, Christopher Judge and Michael Dorn need to guest-star on The Orville as Bortus's fathers.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HIJK posted:

Ah yes starting fights with your target audience, that'll work out well! Just ask Stargate!

Or Roberto Orci, who got drunk, waded into the comments at trekmovie.com after Into Darkness didn't do quite as hot as hoped, totally dropped the ball by not just posting a link to that drat Onion article "Trek fans hate fun, accessible movies" (whereupon he would have, guaranteed, gotten high fives from everyone), and then as he went down swinging he capped it off by quoting his "personal hero George W. Bush" and saying "we are the deciders".

God drat that's still hilarious to type out.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I liked that a lot.

Michelle Yeoh is :perfect:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Powered Descent posted:

No, Christopher Judge and Michael Dorn need to guest-star on The Orville as Bortus's fathers.

Indeed.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Or Roberto Orci, who got drunk, waded into the comments at trekmovie.com after Into Darkness didn't do quite as hot as hoped, totally dropped the ball by not just posting a link to that drat Onion article "Trek fans hate fun, accessible movies" (whereupon he would have, guaranteed, gotten high fives from everyone), and then as he went down swinging he capped it off by quoting his "personal hero George W. Bush" and saying "we are the deciders".

God drat that's still hilarious to type out.

Isn't Orci also a 9/11 Truther? How does that work? Like, he thinks it was an inside job, but Bush wasn't in on it? Or does he admire Bush for pulling off 9/11, or what?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nessus posted:

Looks identical to me other than the hull color and the engines glow like every other warp engine in every other Trek. Nacelle pylons look like the superior refit version I guess?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Isn't Orci also a 9/11 Truther? How does that work? Like, he thinks it was an inside job, but Bush wasn't in on it? Or does he admire Bush for pulling off 9/11, or what?

The twin towers were full of lizardmen

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It looks quite a bit like the Gabriel Koerner Enterprise redesign:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kazinsal posted:

What's all this I'm hearing about Klingons having two, erm, staves of honour?
A drunk Klingon is peeing in an alley and there are two piss streams coming out

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Nothing says Klingons piss out of their sex organs...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I haven’t seen the episode yet, but people are throwing a fit about this? It looks just fine. It’s like a TNG/DS9 ship colorscheme.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zesty posted:

I haven’t seen the episode yet, but people are throwing a fit about this? It looks just fine. It’s like a TNG/DS9 ship colorscheme.

It's not really a TNG/DS9 colorscheme; those were matte painted, this is shiny metal, with the details etched in. It looks closer to ENT's hull without the bronze tint.

Also I'm 90% sure they've made the ship a bit... squatter?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 12, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nope, Pike is in command at this time and he is the one sending out a Priority One distress call which gets garbled (presumably so they can cast somebody in S2)

Boo

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Looks identical to me other than the hull color and the engines glow like every other warp engine in every other Trek. Nacelle pylons look like the superior refit version I guess?

That;s pretty much my issue. It's not a bad looking ship; I like it better than the JJprise. But the hull isn't white and the nacelle pylons are wrong. I'm not gonna quibble over a greeble or two but this is jut the TMP refit with round nacelles. And I like the TMP refit, but it's not appropriate here.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
TMP Refit is superior in every single way, get that low budget 60's trash out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Zesty posted:

It doesn't like quite the same with a close-by pan. I agree it looks pretty much ok there, but the close pass was ehhhhhhh with a lot of Eve's level 'detail just to be busy.'

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

The_Doctor posted:

Another variation I saw on reddit:

https://i.imgur.com/bmTeeSZ.gifv

edit because size

That isn't a Lancia Beta tho.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

TMP Refit is superior in every single way, get that low budget 60's trash out.

TMP refit is gorgeous deco with opalescent paint and flowing lines. This takes the vague pylon shape and thicker neck from it, but ends up very different in all the other ways, especially in the closeup shot.

It does feel a lot like that Koerner reimagining posted earlier.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 12, 2018

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I don't hate the design or the speed holes, but it's so dark it's kind of unpleasant to look at. Is that how the show does all it's space scenes?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Galvanik posted:

I don't hate the design or the speed holes, but it's so dark it's kind of unpleasant to look at. Is that how the show does all it's space scenes?

Yeah, just about, with a smattering of technicolor nebulae. It’s definitely distinctive look — I can’t think of another space show that does quite the same thing — but it’s not my favorite.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Maybe it's just the angle, but I don't see the "speed holes"? Were they visible in different shots maybe? It looks something like the refit, which is Good, and I don't have a problem with it.

Even if I did, it'd be pretty far down the list of why I don't like the show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I squinted at it long enough that I think there might be a very thin vertical opening in the nacelle pylons. I'm not sure why it's there or if I'm imagining it. I don't know if that's what "speed hole" means, I figured that was just a nickname for your mom.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ohh, I see it now. The rear portion is dark enough I mistook it for space in the background. I was also more looking at the saucer where Discovery has its holes.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ah I was wondering why nobody was talking about Klingon penises in the Discovery thread, glad this thread didn’t let me down.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Klingon penis explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY6PAkLG2p4

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

EDIT: nevermind

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thom12255 posted:

low budget

:wrong:

quote:

60's

:shroom: > :911: