Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Paolomania posted:

I’m so out of touch. How Long has Venom been an actual anti-hero instead of a straight up villain who was put over with the edgelord crowd?

Given enough time every villain eventually becomes an anti-hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Superman: Looks like we work together on this one, Darkseid.

Darkseid: This is a one time deal, last son of Krypton

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Not sure if it's :thejoke: or not but yeah, that has happened.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This-but-flipped is the plot of the second-season premiere of the Justice League cartoon.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The MSJ posted:

DCEU fans Facebook delivers again.

I laughed.

I do hope we get that cut one of these days. I don't need completed special effects, I just want what Zack Snyder had envisioned to cap off his trilogy. After that DCEU can do whatever they want.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Freakazoid_ posted:

so which venom is the movie venom?

We're probably getting OG Eddie Brock Venom. The movie looks like a more-or-less straight adaptation of Lethal Protector.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Given enough time every villain eventually becomes an anti-hero.

You either die a villain or live long enough to see yourself become the anti-hero.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

And apparently the baby face heroes need to become fascists so that our edgelord anti-heroes can be correct about being douchebags to them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Paolomania posted:

And apparently the baby face heroes need to become fascists so that our edgelord anti-heroes can be correct about being douchebags to them.

if you look at the history of who's been the "baby face heroes" in American pop culture over the years, this is... more or less accurate to reality at the moment :v: they've become fascists, and the edgelords acting like douchebags to them are correct

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's almost like "flawed," anti-heroic characters tend to resonate more with the proletariat than characters that strive to uphold the system that grinds them down

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Nah its quite an intentional heel turn to pivot from ideals just as "truth" and "justice" to "soulless agent of the system".

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Me too.

Stolen from another thread:

I got high hopes for Armond Whites review

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

I got high hopes for Armond Whites review

Haha, yeah looking forward to reading it too.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Now we know who shot the Superman shirt rip scene in Justice League. It was Zack Snyder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1OrzDqe7Cs&t=40s

Jutsuka fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 12, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah it's just one more bit of wasted potential.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seeing all that making of features just make me sad :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

Could we get a superhero movie in a Southwest setting for once?

Someone realised a few years ago that there's almost no superheroes from Southern states apart from a few swamp-themed characters like Swamp Thing and Man-Thing (who were apparently from Connecticut and Nebraska anyway before they got swampified according to my 30 second google search) and a handful of others like Gambit and Rogue and Warpath, but there's hundreds and hundreds from the Northern states. And even then, most of the Southern state heroes tended to mostly hang out in the Northern states where all the action is.

There was a really weird bias against setting comicbook superhero stories in the South for the longest time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Someone realised a few years ago that there's almost no superheroes from Southern states apart from a few swamp-themed characters like Swamp Thing and Man-Thing (who were apparently from Connecticut and Nebraska anyway before they got swampified according to my 30 second google search) and a handful of others like Gambit and Rogue and Warpath, but there's hundreds and hundreds from the Northern states. And even then, most of the Southern state heroes tended to mostly hang out in the Northern states where all the action is.

There was a really weird bias against setting comicbook superhero stories in the South for the longest time.

Not too weird when you realize that the companies were mostly set in the north, so it was entirely a case of write what you know

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh god, an entire comic book of constant phonetic speech bubbles.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

Oh god, an entire comic book of constant phonetic speech bubbles.

Ain't dat de troot', sho'nuff

It's halfway to Jar Jar Binks :allears:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/JLDlite/status/962411344451469312

Aside from anything else, the strange, growing momentum of the SnyderCut movement is something to behold.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

The fixation with New York is at this point one of the hallmarks of the superhero genre. Like anytime you don't set your hero in New York or a fictional East Coast megacity it almost becomes in of itself a gimmick. Like oh, Captain Shark operates out of Toronto.....why Toronto? Is he gonna fight a secret Wendigo Cult? Will Weird Al make an appearance? Like just the whole worldview of Marvel and DC really radiates out from New York/the upper mid-atlantic; anytime you put a hero somewhere else it quickly becomes very typed like you point out, a more-than-middling number of southern heroes have some kind of relation to swamps, a not insignificant number to voodoo or witchcraft, and almost always a very gothic vibe to the story. Ofc. I say this as someone from a part of the US that doesn't appear in a lot of fiction and when it does it's basically like "uh... WOODS! Bigfoot! ....Sawmills?"

josh04 posted:

Aside from anything else, the strange, growing momentum of the SnyderCut movement is something to behold.

It's so weird to me that they won't just come out and say it. Do they think they're fooling anybody? I mean, I get that you do this sort of commonly-agreed polite fiction thing in like, diplomatic correspondence but we're talking about movies, FFS. Why can't they just say "a lot of people didn't like what we were doing in the first round of DCEU movies, we want as many people as possible to like our poo poo, so we're gonna try something different?" Bleh. BLEH.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 12, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I check up on a few of them on twitter every now and then since that's where most of the funny photoshops come from and they're a mostly level-headed bunch with a couple getting kinda crazy. But they sure do like Zack Snyder's DC films. Reminds me of the Dredd fanbase.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Some of them are obnoxious and miserable but that's to be expected when Liking Bad Movies makes people think you're the second-worst thing on the internet after nazis.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ungulateman posted:

Some of them are obnoxious and miserable but that's to be expected when Liking Bad Movies makes people think you're the second-worst thing on the internet after nazis.

To expound on this, the reason "Snyder is an Objectivist" got so much traction so quickly without any evidence is because it makes liking his movies a moral failing. "You like the Randian guy's propoganda, you aren't a good person."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

To expound on this, the reason "Snyder is an Objectivist" got so much traction so quickly without any evidence is because it makes liking his movies a moral failing. "You like the Randian guy's propoganda, you aren't a good person."

Meanwhile, Iron Man is actually a Randian ubermensch!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I dunno, I think part of the reason the Marvel heroes are generally so well-liked is they're always portrayed in this pathetic (in every sense) light. Like Sherlock is so brilliant but boo hoo he can't tie his own shoelaces; Tony Stark is a drunk slob, Thor is dumb as hell, nobody will listen to Captain America, nobody takes Ant Man seriously etc etc

the point isn't to make the heroes relateable in the sense of "aha, I am also a drunk slob!" but like, get the audience to love them the way you love that bachelor uncle who's reliably a fuckup.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's nothing compared to Snyder's Superman!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Serf
May 5, 2011

to be fair if a dude owns an oil well he's probably not worth helping

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I would put out the fire, because that poo poo's going into the atmosphere. Would be a shame if the derrick and pipeline were irrevocably damaged in the process though...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

I would put out the fire, because that poo poo's going into the atmosphere. Would be a shame if the derrick and pipeline were irrevocably damaged in the process though...

When there were rumors of a new Captain Planet cartoon, this is the kind of thing I want to see happen.

Want to talk about superheroes being dark? Captain Planet had a teenager die of drug overdose on screen.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He's nothing compared to Snyder's Superman!

Superman: Champion of Capitalism! He's providing a service so is he not entitled for compensation? Is he not entitled to the sweat upon his brow?

Talk of the Snyder cut people I went to look through some of them again and, yeah, it's pretty much a 80/20 split on passionate people who are voicing their discontent to people getting a bit too crazy with that passion. But I did find that nice Grand Morrison interview from a few years back (Formatted for the relevant info) in the mix:

Link to the full interview

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Grant Morrison absolutely flopped his Superman, unfortunately. He was a counter-cultural figure for about 5 minutes before Grant's Time Travel Ur-Plot took over.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Superman with Captain America's values (or the obverse). "I don't stand for any particular American government or administration, I stand for America's ideals." And then every politician shits themselves because this guy can put down helicarriers with a hard stare.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Superman with Captain America's values (or the obverse). "I don't stand for any particular American government or administration, I stand for America's ideals." And then every politician shits themselves because this guy can put down helicarriers with a hard stare.

He can then put it back together with a stare.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The MSJ posted:

He can then put it back together with a stare.

You called?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVyXmiLOVc&t=25s

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

And nobody argues Favreau is a secret objectivist - or that Favreau has an ideology at all.

As usual, people don’t actually know why they like or dislike things. What fans are reacting against is not even the figure of Snyder (as despotic jouisseur) but, even more basically, the absence of aesthetic neutralism.

It’s almost remarkable how the Iron Man movies make his constant murder so unthrilling, even though he’s killed like 80,000 people. It’s decaf murder.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s almost remarkable how the Iron Man movies make his constant murder so unthrilling, even though he’s killed like 80,000 people. It’s decaf murder.

What's that Stalin quote? One death is a tragedy, one million is no big deal as long as we're making quips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grant Morrison absolutely flopped his Superman, unfortunately. He was a counter-cultural figure for about 5 minutes before Grant's Time Travel Ur-Plot took over.

Eh, the real GM Superman is All-Star.