Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nevermind, links broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If you want a better look at the ship, here is the clip with the pan from the end of the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpPAH2kqnFs

Looks like it might have a transparent viewscreen. Other than that and the holes in the nacelle pylons, I like it as an updated design.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

FlamingLiberal posted:

A drunk Klingon is peeing in an alley and there are two piss streams coming out

Time works the same way.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I found a pretty cool updated design

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Just to flip the whole issue on its head, the Armada III team is still at work on the first installment of their Ages of the Federation mods, which is set around the same time as Discovery and deals with the Federation-Klingon conflict, along with some appearances from the Romulans and an as-yet-unnamed forth race. However, being the lovable nerds they are, they've decided to stick to a mixture of the aesthetics of Enterprise and the Pike-era Enterprise, even going so far as to TOSify the designs from Axanar and Discovery they're including. They've also revealed the time periods each mod will be focusing on: after the pre-TOS Federation-Klingon War, they'll do a proper TOS/Movie era mod, an early 24th century one focusing on the breakdown of relations between the Federation and Romulans that led to the Tomed Incident in 2311, and finally one set just before the start of TNG depicting the Federation-Cardassian border war.

EDIT: They have some pictures of their revamped designs. The first is for the Crossfield class, the class the Discovery hails from:

And the second is for the Klingon sarchophagus ship, which now actually looks like a Klingon ship.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 12, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
so we have to assume that if all klingons are double-dicked, then tyler must remember having two dicks

how strange it must be for him to inhabit a singled dicked body.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If it's a klingon ship why isn't it black and covered in spikes?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

If it's a klingon ship why isn't it black and covered in spikes?

Because that's never been their aesthetic. Klingons are all about brown and grey surfaces with red lighting, usually with a very industrial and utilitarian aesthetic. Their ships are not comfortable, luxurious, or ornate - they are brutally functional warships and nothing more.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Veotax posted:

If you want a better look at the ship, here is the clip with the pan from the end of the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpPAH2kqnFs

Looks like it might have a transparent viewscreen. Other than that and the holes in the nacelle pylons, I like it as an updated design.

Other than the speedholes, which is a minor quibble, it works. Bridges the gap, anyway.

Shame about the rest of the show, I hope S2 does better.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Because that's never been their aesthetic. Klingons are all about brown and grey surfaces with red lighting, usually with a very industrial and utilitarian aesthetic. Their ships are not comfortable, luxurious, or ornate - they are brutally functional warships and nothing more.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Marshal Radisic posted:

EDIT: They have some pictures of their revamped designs. The first is for the Crossfield class, the class the Discovery hails from:

I didn’t think it was possible to make the Discovery design uglier, but here we are

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's a rejected design for a reason.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm just like, yo, what the gently caress are they doing in that single long flat deck with the armor plating on it? Is that where they store the explosions? My precious Excelsior baby also had a protruding deck but at least that seemed connected to a fat hangar/cargo bay, with the rest of the ship otherwise being relatively condensed while keeping the saucer/belly/nacelles style.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

John Eaves designed the new 1701, turns out. which may explain why I dislike it so much

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
loving hell. We will never be rid of his hackery.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

MikeJF posted:

John Eaves designed the new 1701, turns out. which may explain why I dislike it so much

gently caress that finale, gently caress Star Trek Discovery, and gently caress John Eaves forever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why can't we drop Eaves

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Brawnfire posted:

Why can't we drop Eaves

Eaves drop

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

To paraphrase Winston Churchill:

McSpanky posted:

https://twitter.com/karterhol/status/952263180952141824

Matt Jeffries posted:

My dear, my ship may be cheap and from the 60s, but in 5 years Discovery will be off the air and my ship will still be in the Smithsonian.

:boom:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

He wasn't referring to the new 1701 at all. That tweet is nearly a month old.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

I always liked Vektor's actual modified updated version. (First two are from the WIP)

Even though it was done about a decade ago and CG and materials have come a long way since then, so it could probably look a lot more realistic now. (Which I know it'd have to for a design like this to be used; it's still far too basic for modern TV, sadly)

Last I saw he was going more passes to add cool poo poo like modelled gridlines but never finished. :(

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 13, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I always liked Vektor's actual modified updated version. (First two are from the WIP)

Even though it was done about a decade ago and CG and materials have come a long way since then, so it could probably look a lot more realistic now. (Which I know it'd have to for a design like this to be used; it's still far too basic for modern TV, sadly)

Last I saw he was going more passes to add cool poo poo like modelled gridlines but never finished. :(

Mine's the same thing, it was one of the early promo images :v:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He wasn't referring to the new 1701 at all. That tweet is nearly a month old.

He wasn't but that's the exact sentiment that has driven every dipshit change from the Akiraprise onward.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 13, 2018

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
So is Roddenberry obsessed with god like beings, and planets that are gardens of eden? Halfway through TOS now and it feels like every other episode. That’s not even including all the TNG episodes that fit that episode type.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Additionally holy moley this brown face on the tribespeople on the planet of Baal.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Windows 98 posted:

So is Roddenberry obsessed with god like beings, and planets that are gardens of eden? Halfway through TOS now and it feels like every other episode. That’s not even including all the TNG episodes that fit that episode type.

Humanity is supposed to have moved on from petty religions so they decided to start murdering gods to prove it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

Yeah.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Reminder that Roddenberry wanted TMP to be about Kirk meeting literal God, and in TAS the Enterprise crew met Satan.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Windows 98 posted:

Additionally holy moley this brown face on the tribespeople on the planet of Baal.

Orangeface.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Reminder that Roddenberry wanted TMP to be about Kirk meeting literal God, and in TAS the Enterprise crew met Satan.

Yeah, but Satan is a totally chill dude.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Windows 98 posted:

The short answer is yes, but then it was also a sign of the times. In the 50s and 60s, a lot of American science fiction was trying to reconcile Christianity with the Atomic Age; science had just given us the means to destroy our planet, so the question arose of whether we should have let things reach that point and what this meant to our collective conscience. The Garden of Eden represents the loss of innocence, so it got brought up a lot.

Confronting godlike beings was more exclusive to Roddenberry, though.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Kirk’s speech at the end of the Vaal episode is so perfectly 60s. They interfere and then go “too bad things are different now. You’ll like it. That’s called FREEDOM :smug:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Confronting godlike beings was more exclusive to Roddenberry, though.

Naw, that was a big thing then too. Think 2001 or Solaris.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Windows 98 posted:

Kirk’s speech at the end of the Vaal episode is so perfectly 60s. They interfere and then go “too bad things are different now. You’ll like it. That’s called FREEDOM :smug:

It’s also straight up hey we ruined your society and basically perfect immortal lives but now you get to have sex!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

It’s also straight up hey we ruined your society and basically perfect immortal lives but now you get to have sex!

Huh, pretty much the same ending as TNG "Up the Long Ladder" episode

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Man Civil Defense is a great episode.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Man Civil Defense is a great episode.

I wasn't expecting to be able to find a GIF of that moment but I'm glad I did.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

I wasn't expecting to be able to find a GIF of that moment but I'm glad I did.

MFW I got laid off and told to get my belongings

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is it possible to fire someone harder than blowing up the entire office building along with everyone else in it? Only out of spite, too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Is it possible to fire someone harder than blowing up the entire office building along with everyone else in it? Only out of spite, too.

Putting it on a timer and locking them inside so they can reflect on their total failure before it explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Interesting stuff, a memo was just unearthed containing the original non-Roddenberry TNG pitch from 1986. It would have involved a ship called the USS Odyssey fighting in a new Klingon war, an amputee first officer, a Klingon exchange officer serving on board, and a captain who dies in the pilot and lives on as a hologram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FolLXCKtHeTvbkGnJ5dyjmH60KKQb9HE/view