Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

It looks like pretentious claptrap.
*sprints back into the room wheezing and gasping* turn *coughs violently* turn on your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Plutonis posted:

It looks like pretentious claptrap.
Wait are we back to talking about Exalted already?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Exalted is for true (真) gamers

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Related to the earlier discussion about glaives, is there another name for the dumb thrown blade weapon that's in every MOBA? Asking for design purposes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Related to the earlier discussion about glaives, is there another name for the dumb thrown blade weapon that's in every MOBA? Asking for design purposes.

Chakrum?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Chakram

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ring Boomerang

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I think the idea came from Phantasy Star, where they're first called slashers, then slicers in the rest of the games. It's a unique, eccentric concept, the idea being a weapon that can be either a melee weapon or a multi-target ranged weapon, for a skirmisher type fighter.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
War Frisbee

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the idea came from Phantasy Star, where they're first called slashers, then slicers in the rest of the games. It's a unique, eccentric concept, the idea being a weapon that can be either a melee weapon or a multi-target ranged weapon, for a skirmisher type fighter.

No, it comes from that stupid movie Krull.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I can't tell if this is all a great big joke or not, but chakram are a real life weapon that absolutely has existed for thousands of years. They do not return on impact, which is why you carry several, but were supposedly very good at severing bits off your enemy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Chakrams come from a proud tradition.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Exalted is for true (真) gamers

:zenpop:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The throwing a-

bewilderment posted:

Chakrams come from a proud tradition.

:argh:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

No, it comes from that stupid movie Krull.
Excuse me, I think you'll find that Krull is not only an amazing movie, but also that you are a poo-head with bad taste.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
My group played the free demo adventure for Green Ronin's A Song of Ice & Fire RPG. It was pretty decent until we got to combat and found out that no one but the knight or the bastard could do damage unless they rolled all 6's. Is this normal for the system? Are the premade characters just badly optimized? If not, what are non-combat characters expected to do in combat in this system? My friend playing the Maester just checked out during combat and the Lord and Squire kept swinging ineffectively and trying to assist each other to maybe possibly get a hit.

I wasn't GMing another friend was, and he said the bandits we were fighting all had pretty high armor rating that cancelled most of the damage done.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Krull would be a much better movie if the entire middle section weren't basically the heroes looking for directions.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Xena threw it better.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Random question, what is everyone's favorite rpg bestiary book? It may be weird, and may be because I got into tabletop via video games but they're always my favorite part of any game. I've bought besitiary books for games I'll probably never play just because I like reading other people's takes on the staples. Most of the reason I like the Warmachine world is just how much style the Monsternomicon presented it with.

I got out of playing regularly like 8-10 years ago and was just wondering if there were any gems I've missed.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I really like the WHFR 2e bestiary for the vast amount of in-character information, split into "ignorant dipshit", "people who know what they're talking about", and "the creature in question".

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
The 13th Age monster Bestiary 1 and 2 are both my absolute favorite, with the first one probably edging out the second by a small bit. I love the multiple takes and ways to tweak a given beastie to suit specific tastes and I'm just a huge fan of their style of flavor text in general

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Random question, what is everyone's favorite rpg bestiary book? It may be weird, and may be because I got into tabletop via video games but they're always my favorite part of any game. I've bought besitiary books for games I'll probably never play just because I like reading other people's takes on the staples. Most of the reason I like the Warmachine world is just how much style the Monsternomicon presented it with.

I got out of playing regularly like 8-10 years ago and was just wondering if there were any gems I've missed.

It's not quite a 'monster manual' but I still have a place in my heart Crooks, for Mutants and Masterminds (1e, if I remember rightly). Almost every villain in there had me wanting to include them in a game.

More monster-manually, I loving loved Games of Divinity for 1e Exalted. Once again, every creature in it sparked my imagination and made me want to include them in an adventure.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

fool_of_sound posted:

I really like the WHFR 2e bestiary for the vast amount of in-character information, split into "ignorant dipshit", "people who know what they're talking about", and "the creature in question".

The entries for Skaven must be pure gold.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Just got my 13th Age in Glorantha link.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

potatocubed posted:

More monster-manually, I loving loved Games of Divinity for 1e Exalted. Once again, every creature in it sparked my imagination and made me want to include them in an adventure.

Seconding this; Games of Divinity is one of the high points of Exalted 1e, possibly of the entire product line.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

LuiCypher posted:

Sufficiently pure gold to bring the blessings of Toblerone Triangular, PBUH, onto your house.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

CaptCommy posted:

The 13th Age monster Bestiary 1 and 2 are both my absolute favorite, with the first one probably edging out the second by a small bit. I love the multiple takes and ways to tweak a given beastie to suit specific tastes and I'm just a huge fan of their style of flavor text in general

Yeah this - the Bestiary sold the whole game for me after five minutes of flicking through it. The capsule adventures and suggested ways to use the critters in play are worth their weight in gold.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xiw posted:

Yeah this - the Bestiary sold the whole game for me after five minutes of flicking through it. The capsule adventures and suggested ways to use the critters in play are worth their weight in gold.

I counted adventure seeds while I was writing a review of it, there are 196. There are lots of fresh takes on classic D&D monsters, you're bound to get some good use out of it.
My review was on Gamer-XP.com, which is now offline.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Just got my 13th Age in Glorantha link.

Did you get the Sourcebook as well?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Haystack posted:

Did you get the Sourcebook as well?

I did.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

My group played the free demo adventure for Green Ronin's A Song of Ice & Fire RPG. It was pretty decent until we got to combat and found out that no one but the knight or the bastard could do damage unless they rolled all 6's. Is this normal for the system? Are the premade characters just badly optimized? If not, what are non-combat characters expected to do in combat in this system? My friend playing the Maester just checked out during combat and the Lord and Squire kept swinging ineffectively and trying to assist each other to maybe possibly get a hit.

I wasn't GMing another friend was, and he said the bandits we were fighting all had pretty high armor rating that cancelled most of the damage done.

Someone with good Warfare can direct everything or a 1 die bonus, but everyone else may as well just make sure to put their characters out of harm's way. Combat focused characters are really good at combat and Marksman type characters can really trivialize combat while everyone else just twiddles their thumbs a little. The corollary to that is Social focused characters presumably dominate the entire thing while those not quite as adept just get led around. I've only played it once and one of the players who made an apothecary-type character basically checked out because they were absolutely useless while the low to no armor Ranger types pretty much shot holes into just about every threat. Ostensibly, the ideal is to make a game that's less combat heavy than a typical fantasy RPG and much more politics heavy, but I don't think it works well, even then. Agility is basically the god stat for Combat since it factors into Defense, damage dealt from certain weapons, movement and Initiative. Athletics and Fighting is the melee corollary.

Having high Agility and Marksmanship can and will ruin most enemies in a few hits since their average roll is 17.5 with base damage with a hunting bow is 5. A longbow is even more brutal since the damage gets +2 damage with 1 piercing and since a Standard Attack is a lesser action, they can generally get off two hits on an enemy before anyone else even gets to act. Give them specialty in Bows and their average goes up so even Marksman 4 Bows 1 will get 16 on average while Marksman 5 Bow 1 will get 20 on average. Since each degree of success is a multiplier, take the stock Scout with Marksman 5 Bows 3 and Agility 4 against a Knight and on average, they'll have 4 degrees of success (average roll is 23 against the Knight's 7 Defense) for 24 base damage and 18 total damage. They have 9 health. Against a Knight of Quality, they'll get the same base damage (same 23 vs 7), but the DR from Armor makes it 13 damage with the best armor and shield available to them. They have 12 health. Welcome to combat against humans in this game. Against a Giant, the results are largely the same, except that it's 18 base damage that goes to 15. Their health is coincidentally that much. About the only things listed in the core book that wont die to a single average shot by the Scout is the Mammoth (two shot), certain steeds (same) and The Others (three shot, or one shot if using fire arrows).

Combat is brutal and bloody (and at least accurate in regards to how effective the Longbow is) since all of these same statistics apply to players but at least PCs can take Wounds and Injuries rather than just die to no Health.

Someone who's more familiar with the system might shed some more light on how it's meant to be run, but afaict the combat is horrendously bad and could probably be better done in something like Reign or something with modifications in order to keep whatever level of brutality is desired by the table while still maintaining some semblance of complexity in the warfare and social conflict sections.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I've always liked the Shadowrun monster books where, like most other books in the line, it's presented as a pirated file on a futuristic BBS that has extra commentary added so not only do you get stats and descriptions, you also get characters from the setting discussing extra stuff about the monsters, usually flavor. Earthdawn's books were like this too

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 13, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh yeah, Earthdawn monsters were great. They had some writers there that really understood how far you can bend horror without making it parody. Most of the horrors felt genuinely terrifying and it only got worse in the adventures where what they could do became set pieces. If I remember correctly there were two horrors in Parlainth that became so bored with no one to torture that they each created a race of sentient automatons to pit against each in elaborate games. I even remember being won over by the blood elves because what they were going through was in no way romanticized in the usual "tragic anti-hero" way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh yeah, Earthdawn monsters were great. They had some writers there that really understood how far you can bend horror without making it parody. Most of the horrors felt genuinely terrifying and it only got worse in the adventures where what they could do became set pieces. If I remember correctly there were two horrors in Parlainth that became so bored with no one to torture that they each created a race of sentient automatons to pit against each in elaborate games. I even remember being won over by the blood elves because what they were going through was in no way romanticized in the usual "tragic anti-hero" way.
Earthdawn had soooo many good ideas. And yeah, some of the Horrors were definitely great. IIRC, Chantral's Horror was particularly chilling.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

IIRC, most monster entries have a quote from a skaven assassin about which poisons are most effective against the monster in question.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anyone have any cool AW scenes/ideas/threats/whatever? Finally playing a game soon and want a good backstock of apocalyptica to barf forth, etc. I'll be mining the AW thread and probably the official forums too, but they're loooong.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

food court bailiff posted:

Anyone have any cool AW scenes/ideas/threats/whatever? Finally playing a game soon and want a good backstock of apocalyptica to barf forth, etc. I'll be mining the AW thread and probably the official forums too, but they're loooong.

One of the threats in my game is a weird cult in the jungle that puts hitech stuff in people to turn them into drone zombies. They can make a drill come out of their mouth and if they hit you with it lays an egg in you which also turns you into a drone. The drill-bit that comes out looks basically identical to one you'd get at a hardware store.

In another game someone suggested that most animals in the world had become mutated monsters. I interpreted that to mean they had some kind of weird disease that made them part-machine (I like to go Tetsuo: The Iron Man as much as I can in my games). One of the exceptions to the rule was cats, for some reason. As such, the local warlord kept tight numbers on the cats in the holding as a kind of emergency ration.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

food court bailiff posted:

don't go super crazy with this since you want to define as little of the game as possible before you hit the table, but my general rule of thumb is when you decide what sort of apocalypse it was and how it'll leave the world, ramp it to 11 and you'll have a solid motif to draw on alongside the player's ideas. If you need a few major threats, grab a couple of unused playbooks and base a character off those (don't do a GMPC though, it doesn't work in the system)

That said, the best idea I've read was on the AW forums, there was an NPC gang called Lancer's Lot, who had raided some museums and were equipped with a crazy mix of weapons and armor from throughout history, and presumably a weird mis-matched understanding of everything from that. I think they also motorbike jousted. I've always wanted to play a cannibal chopper who fuels his gang's bikes with rendered human biofuel but I'll never get the chance so do that.
In one early game one of the rival factions (we were the bad guys, really) was a society built in a football stadium, sealed up to prevent the rising tides from getting in and using the grounds to grow food, that had developed a militant sports-cult that organised itself like a team. I really like going for cargo cults in my games.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It ain't monopoly. It's Game of Thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Monopoly is a far better representation of what goes on in cryptocurrency