Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I took my wife to see a showing of Casablanca last night. The thing that bugged me was there were often shots where there was a good noticeable amount of grain but other shots before or immediately after were crystal clear. Did something happen to the Casablanca negatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

I took my wife to see a showing of Casablanca last night. The thing that bugged me was there were often shots where there was a good noticeable amount of grain but other shots before or immediately after were crystal clear. Did something happen to the Casablanca negatives?

Nothing nefarious. It was a hugely popular movie, which meant the negative was used to make more prints than it really should have. From what I've read, most of the negative survives, but there's a lot of dupes inserted to replace damaged negative. The 4K restoration at least went to fine-grains for most of the dupes, but there's only so much you can do about opticals like dissolves, mattes, and rear projection.

I saw a 35mm print (likely from the 1992 re-release) and while it looked alright, it had a ton of printed-in dirt and scratches. By contrast, the print of Citizen Kane I saw looked quite spectacular despite it being slightly scratchy.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I feel like watching Aguirre again sometime soon, and I wonder if I should ask my wife if she wants to watch it too. She's pretty sensitive to animal cruelty in film, and while I don't distinctly remember that Kinsky, like, stabbed a crocodile or something, it seems like a very likely thing to have happened. Should I go solo on this one?

This is funny, I had the same exact thought about it recently. I’ve never seen it before but I remember hearing there’s something bad / off putting about t. Is it just that monkey scene?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

This is funny, I had the same exact thought about it recently. I’ve never seen it before but I remember hearing there’s something bad / off putting about t. Is it just that monkey scene?

There's a scene with a horse that's bothered some as well.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

My wife and I have been watching Bette Davis, Kay Francis and Marlene Dietrich films as she preps for her graduate thesis and we watched 'All About Eve' last night

I can't find any articles or interviews that would shed some light on this, but it feels like Wes Anderson was influenced by Bette Davis' Margot in 'All About Eve' when creating Margot Tenenbaum. Anyone else have any thoughts on that? I'm thinking the fur coats, the attitude towards her success, the overarching narrative about age and legacy in both films, etc

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 13, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The backstory about the monkeys is great, Herzog basically conned a bunch of poachers by impersonating a customs officer and confiscating them and then released them back into the wild at the end of the shoot

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Has there ever been a film made entirely from insert shots? Even a short film or a notable scene in a movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Has there ever been a film made entirely from insert shots? Even a short film or a notable scene in a movie?

Probably some experimental film, sure. Wouldn't you need to establish an insert for it to be recognizable?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Probably some experimental film, sure. Wouldn't you need to establish an insert for it to be recognizable?

Well, I dunno, I think while their standard functionality relies on contrast with establishment of a larger space the actual language of inserts is cohesive enough to make sense if you were to string them together on their own. The removal of the larger space might produce an interesting suggestive effect. I've seen some supercuts but nothing actually produced with narrative intent.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

La Jetee being produced almost entirely with still frames is the closest thing I can think of, but that's not quite what you're talking about I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, I dunno, I think while their standard functionality relies on contrast with establishment of a larger space the actual language of inserts is cohesive enough to make sense if you were to string them together on their own. The removal of the larger space might produce an interesting suggestive effect. I've seen some supercuts but nothing actually produced with narrative intent.

Yeah, a supercut is more like what I'm suggesting. That's a really interesting idea, though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
That documentary Los Angeles Plays itself is largely establishing shots from other films, right?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I'm not sure this is really what you're looking for, but the short film Rendezvous (C'était un rendez-vous) has the camera mounted in such a way that it feels quite like the type of insert shot you'd get in a car chase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgyxSAAqCHA
The refusal to cut to anything inside the car kinda works to that effect, maybe?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have a feeling I've asked this before, but are trailers baked into (for lack of a better term) the movies theaters get, or are the theaters given trailers and told to put a bunch of them together?

I was inspired to ask by someone in Genchat saying that their run of Black Panther started without trailers, but I got a ton.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Allyn posted:

I'm not sure this is really what you're looking for, but the short film Rendezvous (C'était un rendez-vous) has the camera mounted in such a way that it feels quite like the type of insert shot you'd get in a car chase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgyxSAAqCHA
The refusal to cut to anything inside the car kinda works to that effect, maybe?

I have always loved this film, despite how freaking irresponsible it was. (The dubbed Ferrari engine probably helps, it's just a fantastic-sounding engine.) I'll never really be happy with racing sims until one manages to work this route in there, replete with pigeons and other cars.

edit: holy poo poo, the Mercedes used in the big chase in Ronin was, if Wikipedia is to be believed, the same car.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 18, 2018

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I have a feeling I've asked this before, but are trailers baked into (for lack of a better term) the movies theaters get, or are the theaters given trailers and told to put a bunch of them together?

I was inspired to ask by someone in Genchat saying that their run of Black Panther started without trailers, but I got a ton.

With physical trailers it was that one of the cans would have a pile of trailers placed in with the reels for that can (usually the last can, because it would only have one or two reels). Some places put them all on, others either set a rough time limit (the place I worked at had a ten minute limit unless like the projectionist sheet stated in no uncertain terms that more trailers had to go on) or just put what they wanted to put on. Usually one or two were specified as MUST BE ON because the studio releasing the picture had paid for national pairing (Disney paid for national coverage of THE LION, THE WITCH & THE WARDROBE in front of Episode 3, for example) alongside the attached trailer at the head of like 95% of reel 1s (invariably from the same studio).

I imagine with a DCP it's very much similar except it's just files to be dropped in essentially a playlist at the head of the timeline behind the ads.

I wonder if Pixar still does the trading card projection requests/tips/lighting and sound recommendations. That was always kinda cool, because next to no one actually ever sent anything special with the reels like that. It was always "if you use DDSS or DTS, please set the volume to _, the movie is mastered for this volume" and lumen levels and "(forgettable movie's trailer) is required to be on this movie, it should be in reel case #3, if it's not, call 555-..."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Irritated Goat posted:

The soft focus every time they close-up on Ilsa might be a factor too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
What was the budget for the 1999 Takashi Miike film Dead or Alive? I see it listed as 500,000 yen. That's about $4600 USD. I ask because that has to be a mistake or they left off a zero or they meant to say $500,000 or something because while it is a low budget film, there is absolutely no way in hell it was made for just under $5,000. That's insanely cheap compared to even the cheapest Miike movies from that time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, blowing up a car and making it somersault through the air while someone throws a knife at the driver inside the car had to cost at least that

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is a "homework" post, but I'm coming up with a list of movies that have lecture scenes in them, particularly films that literally have a professor or instructor spell out the theme of the movie. I've got like 15 or so off the top of my head and referring to an incomplete IMDB list but I'm curious if anyone knows any that aren't obvious?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

This is a "homework" post, but I'm coming up with a list of movies that have lecture scenes in them, particularly films that literally have a professor or instructor spell out the theme of the movie. I've got like 15 or so off the top of my head and referring to an incomplete IMDB list but I'm curious if anyone knows any that aren't obvious?

A couple off the top of my head:
Split
Twelve Monkeys?
I’m guessing that Dead Poets is too on the nose

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dead Poets and Paper Chase immediately go on the list.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Election?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dekalog 8
Academy of Muses

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There's that scene in Old School where Will Farrell and Jeremy Piven fight in a lecture hall. That pretty much encapsulated the plot and theme of the movie.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Dead Poets and Paper Chase immediately go on the list.

These were the two big ones that came off the top of my head, a couple others I can think of just glancing at my DVDs:

Mona Lisa Smile
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Parachute
May 18, 2003
inception
interstellar

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Charlie Bucket and his teacher playing with nitro glycerin

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Stargate

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Arrival had a lecture hall scene.

Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield as well.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Lucy
Would Adaptation count?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The "medulla oblongata" scene with the Colonol Sanders prof in Waterboy. He doesn't spell out the theme but the main throughline of the film that Bobby's mama has failed him is demonstrated once again.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Enemies has at least one on-point lecture from one of Gyllenhaal's characters in it, I think.

You've got Morgan Freeman laying out the whole movie in lecture format in Lucy, though he might be at a conference and not literally teaching a class?

22 Jump Street is on-the-nose with this with a lecture from Patton Oswalt about figuring out who you are.

The lecture at the beginning of Annihilation is very thematically relevant, but I don't think as blatant as you're looking for.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Bueller... Bueller... Bueller...

Parachute
May 18, 2003
back to the future
back to the future 2
back to the future 3

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

The lecture at the beginning of Annihilation is very thematically relevant, but I don't think as blatant as you're looking for.

The lecture at the beginning of Annihilation is what inspired me to seek out similar scenes because it's so obvious and blatant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glenross

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Young Frankenstein, the '31 Jekyll & Hyde, All Quiet on the Western Front, Horse Feathers

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The lecture at the beginning of Annihilation is what inspired me to seek out similar scenes because it's so obvious and blatant.

I didn't recall it putting a theme itself into words so much as talking about very thematically relevant material, but that may be splitting hairs. Or I may be forgetting something.

edit: Oh, right, I was just remembering her talking about cancer and division, forgetting the part where she literally talks about how we're all made to die.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Thanks y'all, I have some more ideas now.