Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Zzulu posted:

That's the worst thing I've ever heard

Civil war wasn't even that good

Cool, go cry about it in the Terminator thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A sword through the face is going to get you an R I'm pretty sure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Either way Civil War is a better movie than T2YEAHISAIDITWHATFIGHTME!!!!!

I mean, no. It isn't. It just isn't. I mean, you could argue that Civil War is a more exciting or visually impressive film, although it's not, but Terminator 2 is demonstrably a more interesting, well-directed and engaging film. It will be remembered for decades to come and its pop culture impact is still being felt today.

Civil War isn't even the best Captain America movie.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Cool, go cry about it in the Terminator thread.

You can't make a wildly controversial (to the point of absurdity) claim, ask people to fight you over it, and then claim that people challenging your claim are crying and should go elsewhere.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
It's definitely violent but it probably still registers as a low R. I'm not super convinced that times have changed all that much as far as the rating system is concerned, I think maybe movie makers now a days have a better idea of where the lines are so they push all the way up to them are dial poo poo back just enough.

With some slight edits you could probably cut T2 down to a 13, Cameron just wasn't concerned with releasing an R rated movie for kids like everyone is today.

Speaking of which: Black Panther PG-13, Black Panther Soundtrack R

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Nevermind, y'all can keep looking back in time through your rose tinted glasses. #nostalgiaovereverything

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 12, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Terminator 2 might just be the grandest sequel that was ever made. I wouldn't call it a perfect movie but it just couldn't be any better, everyone outdone themselves in it's making.

This reminds me, remember that one Terminator parody sketch about they sending one to protect Jesus? And it was called Terminator 3 because no one could fathom someone would actually make a sequel to 2? Good times.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
T2 is good but I think True Lies is better.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

And while I don't agree, I can understand why you might feel that way. Dialogue is definitely better if I recall.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Samuringa posted:

Terminator 2 might just be the grandest sequel that was ever made. I wouldn't call it a perfect movie but it just couldn't be any better, everyone outdone themselves in it's making.

This reminds me, remember that one Terminator parody sketch about they sending one to protect Jesus? And it was called Terminator 3 because no one could fathom someone would actually make a sequel to 2? Good times.

MAD Tv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyDeuuumbOQ

Wheat Loaf posted:

T2 is a fantastic action movie that just hits all the right notes. It's one of those movies I wish I could erase from my memory so I could see it fresh. Preferably right after watching the original. And then cry at the end.

True Lies is a fantastic action-comedy that is actually really funny. I don't know if it is all writing or all acting, but everyone just hits the mark over and over again. It's another movie very dear to my heart.

You know, when I started this post I was more firmly on the T2 side, but typing it out, I may have to give it to True Lies after all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's some rapey stuff in True Lies that I don't care for, and despite being an action comedy it embraces a lot of typical right-wing rhetoric about how to combat terrorism (torture is fine, assassinating people is fine if they're the baddies, etc) that I find T2 rises above.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think t2 is better but tbh i don't really see them as comparable cuz as was said true lies is an action comedy it's not played serious. I would say a comparison between t2 and aliens would probably be more fair. True lies seems to me to be more in the vein of Arnold's other ridiculous movies like commando and such

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Winter Soldier is definitely better than Aliens. And Predator.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first two Lethal Weapons are both better than True Lies, obviously, but not the third or fourth ones. Of course the best stupid action movie (as opposed to the best intelligent action movie) of the 1990s is Face/Off.

Edit: while I'm on it, I don't know if In the Line of Fire is better than The Fugitive (I'd need to watch them both again) but John Malkovich should've won the Oscar instead of Tommy Lee Jones.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 13, 2018

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Wonder Woman is a far more important and better film than Aliens

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Oh my god I want to kill myself after writing that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

go away

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

T2 is an action comedy compared to the Terminator.

They took an Awesome horror movie and thought "how do we market to fatherless violence obsessed white trash boys?".

T2 is a paint by numbers Terminator fanfic, search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Are the TErminator and alien comics any good

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll have you know that my action movie blockbuster is better than your action movie blockbuster

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SonicRulez posted:

Predator at least. I mean, I wouldn't turn Predator off if it was on, but I'm not gonna pretend it's one of the all time classics just because I watched it when I was young, it's all right but not even one of Arnold's best.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Roth posted:

I'll have you know that my action movie blockbuster is better than your action movie blockbuster

That's impossible because MY action movie blockbuster came out when I was a kid/movies were better.

Also what is up with this Predator shade? That's where everybody gets off the train?

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 13, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SonicRulez posted:

Better than predator yes cuz tbh that movie isnt all the great, aliens no

Zzulu posted:

Wonder Woman is a far more important and better film than Aliens

Ww is deifinitely not better than aliens and its importance comes from being the "first" woman superhero movie but i think if alien/aliens came out now people would be screaming for Ripley. They just came out at the wrong time for that sort of recognition and now the character is colored by her last two appearances being alien 3 and loving resurrection

Sgt. Politeness posted:

That's impossible because MY action movie blockbuster came out when I was a kid/movies were better.

True lies only came out 3 years after t2 lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All these movies are worse than Starship Troopers.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
All those movies are worse than Galaxy Quest, which is also the best Star Trek film.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Love starship troopers

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

site posted:

Ww is deifinitely not better than aliens and its importance comes from being the "first" woman superhero movie but i think if alien/aliens came out now people would be screaming for Ripley. They just came out at the wrong time for that sort of recognition and now the character is colored by her last two appearances being alien 3 and loving resurrection

I kinda think Ripley happened right before the 80s dialed It back to the 50s and decided women were damsels again. Like the role was written for a dude and the people who made the movie were like "why not?", I don't remember (at least a decade later) anyone batting an eye or even talking about it. Like by the time the topic of women leading action movies came up again I had to be reminded the Ripley should have been a big deal.

I also think Long Kiss Goodnight is woefully underrated and gets overlooked in a similar way.

Aphrodite posted:

All these movies are worse than Starship Troopers.

I think I'd like Verhoeven movies more if the satire wasn't just the backdrop. They still end up empty action movies just with a wink and nudge. (Which is still cool, don't get me wrong)

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Robocop is better than Starship Troopers if we're doing the "this thing is better than that thing" game.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Sgt. Politeness posted:

T2 is an action comedy compared to the Terminator.

They took an Awesome horror movie and thought "how do we market to fatherless violence obsessed white trash boys?".

T2 is a paint by numbers Terminator fanfic, search your feelings, you know it to be true.

loving lmbo if you're watching that movie for the Terminator and not for Sarah Connor

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Nah if Alien/s came out today people would be screaming about "SJW Hollywood" for daring to cast a woman in the lead role. The script doesn't even say Ripley is a woman!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What's going on with the Marvel movies is exactly what 10 year old me would have wished for more than anything.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

These kids and their oranges. Give them apples like I used to have.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

What's going on with the Marvel movies is exactly what 10 year old me would have wished for more than anything.

Seriously, anybody claiming that 10-12 year old them had way better taste in action movies than, pff, ~Marvel superhero movies~ is supremely full of poo poo, 10-12 year old you though that Star Wars was the greatest story ever made and begged your parents to take you to see the TMNT movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Are u talkjn poo poo about tmnt 2 THE SECRET OF THE OOZE?!?!

next youll be tellin me super mario bros was bad or some other nonsense

site fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 13, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

site posted:

Are u talkjn poo poo about tmnt 2 THE SECRET OF THE OOZE?!?!

next youll be tellin me super mario bros was bad or something

No lie, I went to see the Mario Bros. movie but my parents couldn't take me on opening day so we went the week after and by the time we got there the theater had already stopped showing it.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

loving lmbo if you're watching that movie for the Terminator and not for Sarah Connor

Look, I more than anybody love what they did with Sarah Connor, but that's something you grow to appreciate with time.
Nobody came to T2 for hot hot Sarah Connor action, and though she's probably my favorite character in the movie, she plays third fiddle at best.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Samuringa posted:

I would argue Mad Max Fury Road is the greatest sequel of all time

And then I would follow up with Bladerunner 2049 being the second greatest since its 10x better than Bladerunner

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wayne's World 2 is the best sequel of all time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Fury Road is more on the reboot side but it shouldn't enter any competitions because it's unfair to the rest of the movies.

Haven't watched 2049.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Br2049 is a masterpiece from a cinematography standpoint but imo the story of the original is stronger

Tbh though i watched it at home a little while ago and it kinda lost some wow factor seeing it on a much smaller screen. In the theater it was incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/THR/status/963133329854705664

• Locked thread