Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Citan is absolutely one of the most powerful characters in the game, and around the time the rest of the party catches up, he picks up a sword.

Or when he can make the random Gear he swiped from Bart's desert pirates perform up to par, then when everyone is getting Omnigears he goes "Let me grab mine".

I forgot, he faked his 6-length combo limit until the rest of the party unlocked it, right?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Priestly posted:

I seem to remember it being a relatively decent retelling of Gnosticism, actually. Or at least I have a vague recollection of a poster in the LP thread saying so, it's been a while.

It was, sort of, and that might've even been me. It's super simplified and on-the-nose, though, which kinda works out.

What's impressive is that Takahashi kept sticking to it at least up through the first Xenoblade, which has the same themes intact but kept mostly to the subtext, and lets the story be it's own thing. The result is something that feels genuinely polished and complete, if lacking in the heady 90s-anime insanity that Xenogears just barrels wildly into from every possible angle.

Much as one might do with Drakengard and/or NieR and NieR Automata respectively: Read the Xenogears LP; play Xenoblade Chronicles.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So was there actually any plot throughline from Xenogears to Xenosaga to Xenoblade or are they completely distinct entities? I vaguely remember zohars being a thing in Xenosaga but I never played past the first game and barely remember it now.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

DeathSandwich posted:

So was there actually any plot throughline from Xenogears to Xenosaga to Xenoblade or are they completely distinct entities? I vaguely remember zohars being a thing in Xenosaga but I never played past the first game and barely remember it now.

Xenoblade, at least, is a distinct game from the other two. It could be argued that Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 are connected to them, but that's mostly because of the Zohar imagery in those games. There's no plot connection, as far as I know.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

DeathSandwich posted:

It's Final Fantasy rules, there are a few elements shared between them but the plot and setting are different in each one.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

None. There's a few things in Xenosaga that'll make you go "oh hey it's like that thing," and there's an Uzuki who manages to be awful in their own special yet equally unintended-by-the-writer way, but otherwise it's it's own deal.

And there are two characters in Xenoblade 1 who visually resemble, respectively, Elly with a tan and Margie with the anime zazz dialed way up.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Allegedly the plan was that if Xenosaga continued it was going to "catch up" to Gears and finish telling that story, but I think when that game failed any attempt to revisit that grand epic fell by the wayside now that so many pieces of it were tied up with so many other companies.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The backstory/setting of Xenosaga and the 'Episode 1' parts of Xenogears' Perfect Works material are identical. It's pretty clear that at some point in production Xenosaga legitimately was meant to be the full 6 episode arc laid out in that, or at least something that resembled that. But it seems like by the time they actually released Xenosaga 1 they'd dropped that plan and turned it into its own thing, since Xenosaga 2 is nothing like Perfect Works' Episode 2.

Although oddly it looks like they were still shooting for a 6 part story even midway through Xenosaga 3's production, albeit with some parts spun off into non-game forms. Then Namco got fed up and Xenosaga 3 is 3 games.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

CmdrKing posted:

The backstory/setting of Xenosaga and the 'Episode 1' parts of Xenogears' Perfect Works material are identical. It's pretty clear that at some point in production Xenosaga legitimately was meant to be the full 6 episode arc laid out in that, or at least something that resembled that. But it seems like by the time they actually released Xenosaga 1 they'd dropped that plan and turned it into its own thing, since Xenosaga 2 is nothing like Perfect Works' Episode 2.

Although oddly it looks like they were still shooting for a 6 part story even midway through Xenosaga 3's production, albeit with some parts spun off into non-game forms. Then Namco got fed up and Xenosaga 3 is 3 games.

Nintendo is so buddy buddy with Bandai Namco that if Monolith wanted to pick xenosaga back up again and convinced Nintendo to foot the bill they probably could.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
For the most part I liked the Xenosaga games, but I remember XS2 was one of the worst rpg offenders I can remember at having even regular encounters feel long and tedious late game.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, Xenosaga 2's random battles are such a slog (even early game) that I have no idea how I finished that game. Thankfully 3 is much better in that regard.

To anyone wanting to play Xenosaga, I'd recommend playing 1 then trying to find an LP of 2 then playing 3.

...! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 13, 2018

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Ohtsam posted:

Nintendo is so buddy buddy with Bandai Namco that if Monolith wanted to pick xenosaga back up again and convinced Nintendo to foot the bill they probably could.

This is actually reasonably plausible, Namco did much of the development on the last Smash Bros., and Nintendo actually lent out both Xenoblade and Fire Emblem to Namco for Project X Zone 2 (which is the first I've ever heard of Nintendo licensing out their characters for a project that wasn't primarily focused on those characters). All it would take is someone at the two companies to push for it to happen. And given his status as a freelancer, they could get Yoko Taro to help write it, which I think would be a pretty good fit.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

EclecticTastes posted:

And given his status as a freelancer, they could get Yoko Taro to help write it, which I think would be a pretty good fit.

I wasn't sure about this at first but then I remembered how Xenogears ended and now I think you're on to something.

Wasn't Humanity down to like 20 guys and some Chu's holed up in the arctic by that point?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Man I should finish Id's LP of Xenogears. Or maybe play it myself if I want to kill a hundred hours :shrug:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I wasn't sure about this at first but then I remembered how Xenogears ended and now I think you're on to something.

Wasn't Humanity down to like 20 guys and some Chu's holed up in the arctic by that point?

Pretty much. This also was well after the protagonist's evil split personality was directly responsible for the death of an entire floating city's worth of people and the party accidentally causing a good chunk of humanity to become insane mutants.

Good times...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

Allegedly the plan was that if Xenosaga continued it was going to "catch up" to Gears and finish telling that story, but I think when that game failed any attempt to revisit that grand epic fell by the wayside now that so many pieces of it were tied up with so many other companies.

Nah, from the early interviews Takahashi said Xenosaga was more of a spiritual reimagining of Xenogears, with each game being somewhat self-contained (lol) with a plot that would span from "the beginning to the end of the universe", so no, the plan was never to lead into Xenogears. He just took Episode I from Perfect Works, remade it, and then managed to make an impressively large number of game design mistakes that torpedoed the series's chances to go anywhere

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

exploded mummy posted:

places like "WHY WOULD YOU LET THEM EAT THAT" or "WHO WOULD BUILD A GUN ROBOT THAT FIRES ITS PILOT IN A BULLET"

edit:

Synthbuttrange posted:

SO LONG SKORPEX!

:argh:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I would only support a Xenogears remake if it keeps all of the stupid poo poo. Removing Guntron or the crucifixion would be criminal

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

...! posted:

Yeah, Xenosaga 2's random battles are such a slog (even early game) that I have no idea how I finished that game. Thankfully 3 is much better in that regard.

You got to corner the Pope and air juggle him with ricochet bullets and shoryuken. It owned and was the only time the battle system clicked

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Xenosaga 2 has a battle system designed for epic boss battles that made no allowances for battles that lasted less than 5 minutes.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I remember playing XS2 and dropping it for like a year, only to resume when news of XS3 finally came along, and having to slog through the final dungeon full of stupidly overpowered assholes.

Then XS3 ended up being a legitimately decent game...and turns out smashing a plot planned for several into one actually can solve pacing issues sometimes.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Does that mean there's an actual good story buried somewhere in Xenosaga? I had to stop playing XS1 pretty quickly because of all the anime bullshit characters, making me mad I wasted money picking up XS2 at the same time.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kind of, if you dig large-scale sci-fi filled with excessively hamfisted metaphors. Which, given the subject of this thread, you very well might. :v:

Speaking for myself: I liked Xenosaga, yet find it hard to recommend sincerely. It rolls around in the most obnoxious of anime cliches while taking itself seriously to a fault, and the writing is choppy, clearly stitched together from a larger vision that didn't work out, and poorly paced. The second game, while focusing the story on a truly entertaining villain that'd be right at home in any Yoko Taro work, is a chore to play even if you do master the overwrought combat system, although the first and third are fine in that regard.

On the plus side: The imagery's great, the hard sci-fi elements are satisfyingly dense, the music is mostly amazing, and KOS-MOS is a legitimately cool character whose story arc has a great payoff, serving as the strongest throughline of the three games.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Xenosaga 3 had some awesome stuff going for it. The ground combat was speedy and easy to understand and Mech combat is pure prefection in both presentation and mechanics wise. The time travel story arc is possibly the best part of the entire series with more amazing things happening one after the other that it almost feels like a drag when it's all over. A shame it ended the way it did but at least we get to have continuing adventures of KOS-MOS as she teams up with various Mega Mans to destroy some umbrella laboratories in the multiverse.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Zerilan posted:

For the most part I liked the Xenosaga games, but I remember XS2 was one of the worst rpg offenders I can remember at having even regular encounters feel long and tedious late game.

When Xenosaga 2 came out I was really into Game Informer, and they said in their review, "This is a dropped ball of Devil May Cry 2 proportions."

They still gave it a 7/10.

U-DO Burger posted:

I would only support a Xenogears remake if it keeps all of the stupid poo poo. Removing Guntron or the crucifixion would be criminal

Agreed. A remake should be changing things like the dungeon design and replacing the content that had to get cut from Disc 2.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

XS1 was playable, I was able to just suck up the various types of tedium and get through it.

XS2 was a horrible slog, the sluggish battles were a pain. Then the obligatory self destruct escape sequence happened and I think I got maybe through 2 screens and 2/3 of the time was already gone from the horrible battles. Dropped it and never picked it up. Unfortunately that killed my interest in 3 so I never played it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I would be willing to let the removal of the Crucifixion scene slide if it meant removing Chu-Chu Chuthulhu as a character entirely.

Seriously, gently caress mascot characters and gently caress Chu-Chu even harder.

And I didn't mean that literally, Fei, you dirty dirty furry.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I spent way more time playing the card game in 1 than actually playing that game.

Seriously, that poo poo owned.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bufuman posted:

I would be willing to let the removal of the Crucifixion scene slide if it meant removing Chu-Chu Chuthulhu as a character entirely.

Seriously, gently caress mascot characters and gently caress Chu-Chu even harder.

but then we'd lose the chuchu orgy

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

These days the Chuchus would be Nopons and you know it.

...I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bufuman posted:

The crucifixion scene is integral to the original vision and to remove it would be akin to pissing on the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Materant posted:

Nopon verrrycoool! :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The Nopon are a proud and majestic people.

Great Heropon Riki undertook his noble ordeals, that the sins of all his mascot forbears might be absolved.

We're not sure it worked, but we salute him anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mazed posted:

The Nopon are a proud and majestic people.

Great Heropon Riki undertook his noble ordeals, that the sins of all his mascot forbears might be absolved.

We're not sure it worked, but we salute him anyway.

The role of Heropon is explicitly one of "either they succeed and keep the village safe, or they get eaten. Either way, problem solved."

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010

Bufuman posted:

And I didn't mean that literally, Fei, chu bad bad boy.

ftfy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chucifixion

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Materant posted:

They do have enough design similarities that it makes me wonder if the original designer wanted to redo them and make something that wasn't a complete aberration of nature.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I remember reading a Xenogears LP and stopping about the time an act ended and about another entire act's worth of plot developments got presented as one big wall-of-text. Is there anything worthwhile beyond that point?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

The Lone Badger posted:

I remember reading a Xenogears LP and stopping about the time an act ended and about another entire act's worth of plot developments got presented as one big wall-of-text. Is there anything worthwhile beyond that point?

I'd say every part of Xenogears is worth it
especially if you read thedarkid's LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

There is. Xenogears is one of my all-time favorite games and I love it dearly, but I can certainly understand the people who were turned off by the first half or so of disk 2.

• Locked thread