Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
1886 talk: played it on release day and the funniest part was where you come out of a cutscene around a huge round table, only to walk around the table and into another cutscene before walking down the hall into another cutscene...

There was definite potential in the game but as was pointed out one of the devs actually said in an interview the gameplay was a hindrance to them achieving their vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

haveblue posted:

Make sure it's the PS1 version and not Twin Snakes, I want to see every one of those postit-sized pixels

And the PS1 really-bad-rounding that would cause the polygon edges to swim and undulate around.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't remember any stealth gameplay in MGS V, just me getting spotted in 10 seconds by guards with 360° vision and then shooting everyone instead.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Play at night, fucko.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

haveblue posted:

Make sure it's the PS1 version and not Twin Snakes, I want to see every one of those postit-sized pixels

No, you mistake me. I didn’t mean Metal Gear Solid

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The third Colossus fight in SOTC is so so good 😭😭😭

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I am 8 colossi in and none of them are annoying and they are all good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

13th Colossus is peak video games for sure.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm playing nothing but MHW and Dragon Quest Builders right now, and there's some part of me (autism) that wishes they were two halves of the same game. MHW could use a little base-building and DQB desperately needs better combat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The last thing MHW needs is more grinding to better grind, it has enough of that. :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only colossus I didn’t really like is the one with the geysers. All the rest are at least pretty good and the majority of them are loving fantastic.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The fifth one is my favorite so far (at 12 in). They've all gone smoothly except for the bull one that hates fire, which I had to get a hint on since I couldn't spot that drat torch, but even that one had a cool concept and design, so I forgive it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

The last thing MHW needs is more grinding to better grind, it has enough of that. :v:

The first thing MHW needs is to let me make houses out of dragon skulls

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Same, but also MGSV, since there's still an hour of gameplay...you just have to repeat that same hour 50 times.

Throw MGS4 and MGSV into the Horadric Cube and the resulting game might almost be as good as MGS3.

idk. mgs 5 much like mafia 3 and shadow of mordor were all repetitive as gently caress but the gameplay just kept zapping the pleasure centers of my brain, so i never minded

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bacon Terrorist posted:

1886 talk: played it on release day and the funniest part was where you come out of a cutscene around a huge round table, only to walk around the table and into another cutscene before walking down the hall into another cutscene...

There was definite potential in the game but as was pointed out one of the devs actually said in an interview the gameplay was a hindrance to them achieving their vision.

i remeber the devs being kinda of artsy fartsy jerks offs. like the game has some cool ideas but it never does anything with them because its too obsessed with making this the opening act to some super franchise.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

The only colossus I didn’t really like is the one with the geysers. All the rest are at least pretty good and the majority of them are loving fantastic.

I absolutely love that one, but I'm going to admit that the first time I fought it in 2005 I spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to get up on its back.

But man, when you actually do get up there :tviv: ...all those shell vertebrae on its back rocking to and fro like one long tumbling corridor of death, so loving amazing. I also love how epic it is to ride around between geysers on Agro to that music while the first seriously pissed off colossus in the game shoots mother loving lasers at you from a gatling gun in its mouth :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. mgs 5 much like mafia 3 and shadow of mordor were all repetitive as gently caress but the gameplay just kept zapping the pleasure centers of my brain, so i never minded

Yeah, I can see that, it's kind of how Monster Hunter World is for me. Not much story but absolutely perfect presentation and gameplay loop.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The most improved Colossus was 13 because he is a big pain in the rear end with PS2 controls and the new version just lets you enjoy how epic it is. Maybe a little too easy though.

Basically they are all good with only maybe 3 being sort of unremarkable. The last one really pissed me off with how unintuitive a couple of the jumps are though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The most improved Colossus was 13 because he is a big pain in the rear end with PS2 controls and the new version just lets you enjoy how epic it is. Maybe a little too easy though.

Basically they are all good with only maybe 3 being sort of unremarkable. The last one really pissed me off with how unintuitive a couple of the jumps are though.

I thought all the jumps in that last one were just bog standard platforming?

I mean, there are weak spots on his hands and shoulder that are literally set up as "stab this and he'll do that" puzzles, and almost none of them require any kind of controller dexterity

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When you jump from bicep to hand, he will not jump in a direction to the other side. No matter which direction I aimed he'd only jump upwards and not leap to the next hand. you have to drop down on a little lip underneath and jump over with absolutely horrible camera angles. It's a bad jump.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 13, 2018

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I thought all the jumps in that last one were just bog standard platforming?

I mean, there are weak spots on his hands and shoulder that are literally set up as "stab this and he'll do that" puzzles, and almost none of them require any kind of controller dexterity

I remember getting stuck for an hour on the part where you have to shoot him in the shoulder to get him to bring his hand (and you) up to it. Lots and lots of failed jumps until I gave up, googled it, and then felt like a dumbass.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

When you jump from one hand to the other he will not jump in a direction to the other side. No matter which direction I aimed he'd only jump upwards and not leap to the next hand. you have to drop down on a little lip underneath and jump over with absolutely horrible camera angles. It's a bad jump.

Do you have a video of the section, because I don't remember anything out of the ordinary for that one. In fact I remember him being absolutely by-the-books compared to almost every other colossus in the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No I don't.

Also, with the last guy some if it is sort of obtuse. His hands don't have sigils, so the concept of stabbing the hand to steady them is foreign to anything else in the game. And up until that point, any glowing weak spots that are intended to be shot with an arrow are green and under a colossus' feet, so it's pretty understandable that people don't think to shoot his shoulder.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ueda da GOAT 🐐🐐🐐🐐
If I was playing this for the first time on PS4 I think my brain would have exploded by now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

No I don't.

Also, with the last guy some if it is sort of obtuse. His hands don't have sigils, so the concept of stabbing the hand to steady them is foreign to anything else in the game. And up until that point, any glowing weak spots that are intended to be shot with an arrow are green and under a colossus' feet, so it's pretty understandable that people don't think to shoot his shoulder.

Not really, the very first colossus has a bloody weak point (with no sigil) on the back of its foot that Dormin tells you to stab, it causes the colossus to stand still so you can climb up. Also, #15 has a bloody weak point on hand/arm that makes him drop his scimitar. There are other examples.

It's the Dark Souls rule; you were given all the tools and info, whether you remember them or not. And from what I remember the jump from his left shoulder to his right hand is just a hanging reverse jump, another skill that is learned on or before the first colossus.

Anyways, I'm not trying to antagonize, so I'll just shut up.

VVVVV well, I mean, the game certainly does distinguish between sigils and vitals, but they mostly do the same thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 13, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not really, the very first colossus has a bloody weak point (with no sigil) on the back of its foot that Dormin tells you to stab, it causes the colossus to stand still so you can climb up. Also, #15 has a bloody weak point on hand/arm that makes him drop his scimitar. There are other examples.

It's the Dark Souls rule; you were given all the tools and info, whether you remember them or not. And from what I remember the jump from his left shoulder to his right hand is just a hanging reverse jump, another skill that is learned on or before the first colossus.

Anyways, I'm not trying to antagonize, so I'll just shut up.

You are wrong my man. Those do have sigils. The blue ones that look like cracks (edit: not to mention the bloody clouds) that are different from the main damaging ones. His hands do not. I don't see how that is comparable at all.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 13, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
jump from shoulder to hand is exactly how veni describes it and it’s a pain in the butt

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VVVVV well, I mean, the game certainly does distinguish between sigils and vitals, but they mostly do the same thing

His hands have neither (although it's possible to make the jump without stabbing them so it's optional) so I'm confused as to what your point is. "game taught you to stab marked spots, therefore you should know to stab an unmarked spot despite it being nowhere in the game prior"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After playing with the bow for a few hours and not feeling pressured to complete a timed event, I would like to amend my remarks on Monster Hunter: World.

Game is good

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

veni veni veni posted:

When you jump from bicep to hand, he will not jump in a direction to the other side. No matter which direction I aimed he'd only jump upwards and not leap to the next hand. you have to drop down on a little lip underneath and jump over with absolutely horrible camera angles. It's a bad jump.

Were you not charging the jump, pushing the stick away, waiting for Wander to look behind him, then letting go of the button to initiate the jump off the wall\surface\arm move? He'll let go with one hand and look away from the arm, it's just like Drake's move where you could tilt the controller toward you or whatever in the first Uncharted.

Also I'm fairly certain if you gather the light it'll light up the shoulder wound too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, I can see that, it's kind of how Monster Hunter World is for me. Not much story but absolutely perfect presentation and gameplay loop.

yeah. mafia 3 with me. the story is good and while the mission structure is repetitive, it works thematically and the gun play is fun and meaty as gently caress(alot of guns have great kick to them).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:yeah:

:hampants::buddy:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
A lot of the jumps on colossus 16 are a pain in the rear end and they always have been. The problem usually is that your gaming reflexes make you start inputting the commands too early. He won't do the jump properly if you do any part of the motion (including just holding the jump button) before he's in a neutral animation. If Wander is moving at all then you need to wait. Even then it sometimes seems like a crapshoot.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

My friend have you played a game called "Final Fantasy 13"

Nah. FF13 is in many ways bad, but it's also weird as gently caress with a really unique combat system that's actually fun and fast-paced, if not also really clumsy. I actually found it refreshing to have an entire party of characters that legitimately hated each other. That was ruined in the very end when everyone became friends for absolutely no reason. I much preferred Lightning Returns when they stopped hedging, and made everyone into the assholes they were meant to be.

It's problems are just the first real symptoms of Square completely forgetting how to actually make Final Fantasy games inside of a decade of development. Part of the insane mismanagement of the game was every character being schizo and motivations constantly doing 180's because large parts of the game were cut. It's like they can't mesh their ambition with any sort of coherent development cycle management. Like, FFXV has a pretty decent story, but you have to play the DLCs, watch the anime, and watch the movie to get it, and that's just ridiculous.

The Order, though, that's just a hack job through and through.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wildlands is sort of stupid but it's scratching the right itch right now. Such a nice framework I wish the game was more compelling though.

It looks and plays great it's just marred by the usual dumbshit Ubisoft enemies and mission structure. I they could somehow turn this into a battle royale game I'd play it for 1000 hours.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I feel like if they didn't pretend it's an AAA title and released it for 20 bux ala Hidden Agenda The Order:1886 would have been more fondly remembered. It's not that anything is specifically bad in it, it's that the entire, full experience is 4 hours. Would have made a pretty good arcade game more than a console game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

OxMan posted:

I feel like if they didn't pretend it's an AAA title and released it for 20 bux ala Hidden Agenda The Order:1886 would have been more fondly remembered. It's not that anything is specifically bad in it, it's that the entire, full experience is 4 hours. Would have made a pretty good arcade game more than a console game.

That and there wasn't much gameplay, so your story must be good or have built up a lot of goodwill ala Metal Gear. It was neither.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OxMan posted:

They almost certainly payed AAA money to develop it though.

Personally I thought it was boring as all hell at any price. Beautiful, but boring.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

veni veni veni posted:

You are wrong my man. Those do have sigils. The blue ones that look like cracks (edit: not to mention the bloody clouds) that are different from the main damaging ones. His hands do not. I don't see how that is comparable at all.

Nope, there are plenty of minor sigils in the game as per:
http://teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Sigil

On no16 I managed to jump and looked up the arrow move and facepalmed. It's finicky for sure but it is no way breaking any established rules or introducing new ones. Just :gitgud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

TG-Chrono posted:

Nope, there are plenty of minor sigils in the game as per:
http://teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Sigil

On no16 I managed to jump and looked up the arrow move and facepalmed. It's finicky for sure but it is no way breaking any established rules or introducing new ones. Just :gitgud:

Huh wow funny how none of those are listed as being on Malus' hand huh