Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Goodwill takes mattresses. They won't clean them before selling them. So if you have some resilient form of bed bugs, you can share them with the poors by donating it.

It also depends on the state. I'm in Massachusetts, and none of the Goodwills/Salvation Army/etc will touch used mattresses. I had to truck mine to the dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Slim Pickens posted:

Guess where the ideas for our kitchen remodel all came from!

And every other house reno!

:shepicide:

Oh Jesus Christ...

"I saw a house and I was thinking if we bought it and gutted it..."
"Didn't you want to move away from this area?"
"Nevermind that, it's only 300k and if we dumped another 200k into it..."

:suicide:

Honestly I want to buy a house and work on it, but the weird obsession about buying poo poo and flipping it kills me.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I get to start doing some work on my GF's condo, I move in in like 2 months. Buncha paint on the walls, new bathroom fixtures, install some new electrical. Her dad is graciously buying us a new mattress so I'm taking his money and getting a king.

Plus the previous owners put up this weird conduit+wood board bookshelf/entertainment unit that looks cool at first but is really non-functional, so get to replace that poo poo too.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I got rid of a mattress at either Salvation Army or Goodwill. We were moving, didn't want to move it, and we got a Leesa (my only regret is not getting a king size).

Over the phone, the place said they'd only take the bed frame and not the mattress. Once they saw that it was not all hosed up and was actually in good condition, they took it. Not sure if they took it for resale or an employee just wanted it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Slim Pickens posted:

Guess where the ideas for our kitchen remodel all came from!

And every other house reno!

:shepicide:

Pinterest: yet another reason I'm happily divorced.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Shim, not sure if you still post in the spaceflight mega-thread or not.

If you want to troll hardcore NASA fans, start talking poo poo about the james webb telescope and it's always-pushed back launch date.
that telescope has been promised to launch next year, double-pinky swear, since the mid 1990s.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Sometimes I miss regular cabs.

At least regular cab drivers don't always talk about why they're driving a cab.

It's their job, that's why they're driving a cab.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah, but I don't really miss conversations like

"I don't feel like driving there." or "Oh no, my card readers broken. Cash please!"

I'll never forget the time a cabbie at BWI didn't want to take me 3 miles up the road to my girlfriends place, but then said he'd do it if I put ten bucks into his gas tank. When we got to the gas station (conveniently next to my destination), that number went from ten bucks to "a full tank".

I told him his meter was off and he was welcome to call the cops if he wanted, but he wasn't getting poo poo at that point. He finally said fine, ten bucks, you can pump it. He then had the loving nerve to tell me not to sit behind him in case I tried something :rolleyes:

Uber sucks poo poo, but it's not like cabbies were winning customer service awards either.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to lament the slow strangulation of the cab industry or whatever. gently caress em, I've had plenty of bad experiences. But sometimes I get dragged into long conversations with people that I just don't want to have, and those conversations are repetitive given that I Uber 7-10 times a week. It's always white people that try and defend their choice to be an Uber driver, hardly ever anybody of the browner complexion. And I have to engage in at least some banter, because you get rated as a passenger too and that fucks with your priority.

First world problems, really.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Can't you just tell your driver that you're not much for conversation and would rather ride quietly?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yes, yes you can. And most of them get the hint. Or they'll just passive aggressively rate you lower, which will eventually lower your priority when requesting rides.

The people that I'm referring to mostly are strangely aggressive with talking, and borderline defensive about their choice to be an Uber driver.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

That's why I like Lyft. Drivers aren't overly chatty with me when I indicate I'd like to ride home quietly. I tip them 20% so long as they drive well and aren't insane. I would presume my rating reflects that.

Had one trip to LAX at 5 in the morning where I accidentally stepped in dog poo poo before getting into my Lyft and I didn't realize it. When we got to LAX, I noticed, told my driver and immediately tipped him like 30 bucks on a 10 dollar ride. To my knowledge, he didn't rate me low as a passenger.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I use Uber because work covers it provided my origin or destination is one of our office buildings. So my total out of pocket for the month is practically nothing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wd1UX7PXl0

this guy's youtube channel is cool and interesting

e: he also starts a lot of videos off with corny dad jokes

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 13, 2018

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So I got a free upgrade to the iPhone X. Face ID works waaaaaaay better than I expected. Like insanely good.

Secondly, an all glass screen with swipe gestures makes the phone feel like a science fiction prop straight from Minority Report.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

holocaust bloopers posted:

So I got a free upgrade to the iPhone X. Face ID works waaaaaaay better than I expected. Like insanely good.

Secondly, an all glass screen with swipe gestures makes the phone feel like a science fiction prop straight from Minority Report.

How much did apple pay for this post or was the upgrade enough

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ps did you ever read the books I sent you, I'm real curious to know how an American views ol' Crump

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Sorry that was a sponsored post.

I have not, my dude.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Very much feeling like Old Yeller before he got got at work. Good at my job, just behind the scenes stuff gonna make me redundant. Preparing accordingly. Ugh.

(Plus side, item 1 is a Skyrim playthrough)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Six Days on Netflix is really good.

It's about the Iranian Embassy siege.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Our city's waste disposal department will come by and pick up large bulky poo poo like mattresses, its pretty handy

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I'm about to quit my job and start my own consultancy to live out my dream of becoming my own boss.

This is very unsettling.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I hand washed and detailed my car myself for the first time in my six years of owning it yesterday.

It's raining right now.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Suntan Boy posted:

I hand washed and detailed my car myself for the first time in my six years of owning it yesterday.

It's raining right now.

🎵 On your wedding daay 🎵

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

rekt

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gently caress.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

nwin posted:

It also depends on the state. I'm in Massachusetts, and none of the Goodwills/Salvation Army/etc will touch used mattresses. I had to truck mine to the dump.

lol maybe I live in some alternate universe or people are stuck in the 90s but largely no one wants your old lovely mattress, even free.

Well, at least Goodwill/Salvation army probably doesn't. They have to have them professionally cleaned and there is of course the bed bug issue. People are consistently getting new mattresses now more than ever so the days of throwing a 15-year-old mattress on craigslist hoping a desperate poor would come haul it away for you are largely gone

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 13, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Thanks to whoever recommended 6 days on Netflix.

Though, it seems I might need subtitles for this. Can't understand a loving word the SAS blokes are saying.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol maybe I live in some alternate universe or people are stuck in the 90s but largely no one wants your old lovely mattress, even free.

Well, at least Goodwill/Salvation army probably doesn't. They have to have them professionally cleaned and there is of course the bed bug issue. People are consistently getting new mattresses now more than ever so the days of throwing a 15-year-old mattress on craigslist hoping a desperate poor would come haul it away for you are largely gone

wanna buy the murder mattress

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Looks it still has some bounce.

I sold a 100gallon salt water tank two years ago and the college kids who bought it started eyeing the mattress I had on the side of the house. I explained it had been rained on once but otherwise we simply didn’t like it (too soft). They proclaimed it much better than their flop house mattress and took it.
Win-win.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Amazon's having a sale on Casper mattresses today. My fiance and I just got our tax returns so we might need to do the needful.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I should probably buy a new matress. Mine is ~18 years old, and the memory foam pad on top of it is probably 10. On the other hand I still sleep fine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Casper is pretty good. Definitely give your body like 20 days to “adjust” to a new mattress before you decide if it’s bad or not. The no hassle return is nice but I’ve never heard of anyone doing it

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I wish I could get one of these fancy mattresses delivered to Japan. The exchange carries poo poo and even then has to order them and wait a month for delivery.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jesus Christ I almost feel dirty. My whole day at work involved going on a carrier to inspect ports in a single mobile office and reporting my findings. Then told to stand by further actions.

7 hours later it’s time to go home. Woo contracting!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

Jesus Christ I almost feel dirty. My whole day at work involved going on a carrier to inspect ports in a single mobile office and reporting my findings. Then told to stand by further actions.

7 hours later it’s time to go home. Woo contracting!

Contracting:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Contracting:

Please be real

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Pretty sure it is, because there are multiple pictures of it, and it's used as an example of how easy it is to gently caress up the statement of work / performance work statement in contracting.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

That’s the type of smartass poo poo I would do when teachers were vague with instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

That’s the type of smartass poo poo I would do when teachers were vague with instructions.

and then you joined the military