Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ferrinus posted:

HoooOOolly gently caress just got in under the wire and cleared O7S before the reset. It turns out the chief skill in pugging savages is finding a party who's willing to hang out with you for upwards of three hours.

O8S looks like some bullshit.

As the proverb goes--

"Fights are easy; groups are hard."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Uhhh, guess pvp matches can tie, like how the gently caress does this even happen

They have always been able to tie, don't worry about it, you both for 1st place win awards.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So how do goons here handle abandonment in o7s? My group keeps getting hosed because one or both guys get hit with it fairly often, despite positioning exactly the same every time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Truga posted:

So how do goons here handle abandonment in o7s? My group keeps getting hosed because one or both guys get hit with it fairly often, despite positioning exactly the same every time.
I've heard lots of claims of people getting hysteria from that mechanic purely because of latency combined with the game being dumb about checking for positions and stuff. I can't 100% confirm any of that, especially without seeing your group in action, but it seems fairly possible that yall are just having bad luck. Maybe they're gonna change it in the 4.21 hotfix patch tomorrow?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

is 4.21 gona fix tank cheesing OS5 lol

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Xun posted:

Is it even worth fixing? Cheesing the ghost is a dps increase but not enough to break the raid.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Xun posted:

Oh my god we'd be so screwed lol

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I started a new character (an au ra warrior), and starting in Lominsa made me realize something.

The opening storyline in Gridania is LONG in comparison. Notably, the scene where you meet Y'sthtola and make contact with Hydaelen is a number of minutes shorter than the equivalent with Papalymo and Yda.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What is tank cheesing in OS5?

Martman posted:

Maybe they're gonna change it in the 4.21 hotfix patch tomorrow?

God I hope so. And yeah, latency appears to be exactly our problem, one guy gets punted back like half a second before the other guy, and gets abandonment and walks away/into wall and explodes the raid with virus, while the other guy, who by all means should get the exact same outcome as their partner, doesn't get the debuff, because on his screen they both got punted at the same time.

It's basically completely RNG for if we clear the mechanic or not even when executed correctly and that kinda blows.

vvvv: lmao

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 13, 2018

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Truga posted:

What is tank cheesing in OS5?

WAR is the only one who enters a ghost and uses IR + fell cleaves to kill their ghost fast enough that the throttle debuff falls off everyone else.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hommando posted:

Is it even worth fixing? Cheesing the ghost is a dps increase but not enough to break the raid.

TBH I don't think it's that big of a deal either but it does seem like an unintended mechanic that might be fixed

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

WAR is the only one who enters a ghost and uses IR + fell cleaves to kill their ghost fast enough that the throttle debuff falls off everyone else.

It's always sad when you try this and your WAR is just barely not fast enough, so the train gets seven new ghosts. :ghost:

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Nodosaur posted:

I started a new character (an au ra warrior), and starting in Lominsa made me realize something.

The opening storyline in Gridania is LONG in comparison. Notably, the scene where you meet Y'sthtola and make contact with Hydaelen is a number of minutes shorter than the equivalent with Papalymo and Yda.

I'm convinced that Limsa is the best starting city. Pirates are fun and Y'shtola is great.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's probably waaay to early to get hints about the next expansion/jobs, but at what point in the 3.x patch cycle did we first get hints about SB?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chaosfirev posted:

I'm convinced that Limsa is the best starting city. Pirates are fun and Y'shtola is great.

Ul'dah honestly makes the most sense both plotwise and scionwise though. The big reveal at the near-end of 2.0 loses a lot if you do the other cities.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

It's probably waaay to early to get hints about the next expansion/jobs, but at what point in the 3.x patch cycle did we first get hints about SB?

Don't we usually get content hints from Yoshi p wearing specific shirts at a fan fest or are those days gone

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They have always been able to tie, don't worry about it, you both for 1st place win awards.

Unless you're Adders, like me, and always lose. :v:

I swear the last time I did shatter for marks I was the only human.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
He wore a scarlet witch shirt for Red Mage, so that’s still a thing. Even so, didn’t they say that SN will last a little longer than previous expansions, like to a patch 4.7? If so, we’re probably a ways off still.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Luna Was Here posted:

Don't we usually get content hints from Yoshi p wearing specific shirts at a fan fest or are those days gone

He did it for SB yeah, like wearing a Spiderman Sam Raimi shirt for Samurai. I forgot what he wore for Red Mage.

I think we'll maybe get hints and small details about the next Expansion around August, or roughly around 4.5? Probably expansion release in late June 2019 if they follow the same schedule.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Fanfest is November so isn't that when they start dropping clues?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

That's when they really drop big clues and teasers rather than tiny crumbs.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

i am tim! posted:

He wore a scarlet witch shirt for Red Mage, so that’s still a thing. Even so, didn’t they say that SN will last a little longer than previous expansions, like to a patch 4.7? If so, we’re probably a ways off still.

Is this a for sure thing or a 'maybe'? they said HW might go beyond 3.5 at one point too - it seems like a 'just in case' statement as insurance if the expansion production is derailed.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gally posted:

Is this a for sure thing or a 'maybe'? they said HW might go beyond 3.5 at one point too - it seems like a 'just in case' statement as insurance if the expansion production is derailed.

it would let us get ff7 bosses in omega

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah if they go an extra patch cycle or two we will definitely get an FF7 wing of Omega before the actual "fight Omega" final wing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I doubt they'd blow an FF7 thing on Omega's storyline. It's too big a deal for Square for Sephiroth to be a flunky. They're more likely to jump ahead to FF8 or finally acknowledge The Emperor's existence, I think, and FF7 will get its own event.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
They're going to tease Chemist as a class when Yoshi P comes out to a Ted Leo and the Pharmacists song.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Leofish posted:

They're going to tease Chemist as a class when Yoshi P comes out to a Ted Leo and the Pharmacists song.

Weird Science

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vadoc posted:

Weird Science

Breaking Bad.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

he's gonna tease Blue Mage by touring with the Blue Man Group

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Uhhh, guess pvp matches can tie, like how the gently caress does this even happen

Passive point gain ticks from the bases, paired with set values of increasing and decreasing points for actual Player vs. Player combat. It's not that rare for the numbers to correctly align that would lead to a tie, it's just rare for it to actually happen at the right time, either as bases tick or tomelith rewards dole out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
He's going to tease dancer by pelting someone with a bolt of cloth from 2 squares away.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Dear god just give me Dancer as healer in 5.0 and I can forgive any and every misstep ever in this game.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

5.0/Garlemald is going to be the throwback-FF7 reference party, the final Omega bosses will be FF4 flavored ending in Zeromus.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eight-Six posted:

5.0/Garlemald is going to be the throwback-FF7 reference party, the final Omega bosses will be FF4 flavored ending in Zeromus.

Zenos and his unit are already the FF7 reference. Each Garlean commander's forces are a reference to a specific FF game. That's why Zenos is evocative of Sephiroth and why the dungeon you fight him in has the scorpion boss from FF7 in it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Give me Ultimecia's castle as a dungeon or 24-man already

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

cheetah7071 posted:

Give me Ultimecia's castle as a dungeon or 24-man already

Yeeeeessssss please

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Zenos and his unit are already the FF7 reference. Each Garlean commander's forces are a reference to a specific FF game. That's why Zenos is evocative of Sephiroth and why the dungeon you fight him in has the scorpion boss from FF7 in it.

Zenos is the 12th legion. The 7th legion are the ones responsible for the METEOR project.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

According to the wiki, the Garlean Legati each have numerological motifs that represent a game in the main series:
  • Regula van Hydrus represents Final Fantasy VI, as the Legatus of the VIth legion. He is fought within the Aetherochemical Research Facility on Azys Lla, which also holds the Warring Triad, which respectively recall the Magitek Research Facility, the Floating Continent, and Final Fantasy VI's own Warring Triad.
  • Nael van Darnus represents Final Fantasy VII, as the Legatus of the VIIth legion. He is responsible for Project Meteor, a reference to Final Fantasy VII's own Meteor, which ushered in the Seventh Umbral Era. He also recreated Sephiroth's famous scene from the Nibelheim Incident.
  • Zenos yae Galvus represents Final Fantasy XII, as the Legatus of the XIIth legion. He specifically shares similarities with Vayne Carudas Solidor, both as the Emperor's son and the de facto ruler of an occupied state, and in the expansion's final battle, he harnesses a man-made version of a godly power to take on the form of a dragon, with the Echo standing in for Nethicite and Shinryu standing in for the Undying.
  • Gaius van Baelsar represents his own game Final Fantasy XIV, as the Legatus of the XIVth legion and a primary antagonist throughout both Legacy and A Realm Reborn, even featuring on the North American and European covers of A Realm Reborn.
  • It has also been said that Emperor and former High Legatus Varis zos Galvus similarly represents Final Fantasy II, as only the second Emperor of the Garlean Empire who commands his fleet from the Dreadnought Gration, recalling Final Fantasy II's Dreadnought.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I've never beaten a main series final fantasy or even played like 90% of them but in my opinion making the ultimate raid boss of stormblood a final fantasy 4 boss would be lame as poo poo and I'm glad you guys don't design this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The ultimate raid boss of Stormblood should be Yiazmat, in that it's a boss that takes like six hours of solid fighting to defeat.