Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Exactly. As a result I don't see a whole lot of nostalgic car purchases being made in the future. It will consist of a millennial buying a bike/skateboard/gaming console from their youth :v:

It's really not a stereotype though. Millennials are not buying cars, and I'm not saying there aren't any that like cars, but there's no way it's going to be even close to the way that boomers are into cars and spending shitloads of money on cars to relive their youth.

I dunno man, I know plenty of people my age (26) who are at least interested in nicer cars, but just can't really afford them. If millennials get into a position where they can actually afford things, I can see there being a buying craze for the cars they wanted in their youth. But as others have said,it's kinda hard to get excited about cars as it is when all you can afford is a 1997 Tercel with a busted radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So are they going to get a drivers license too after all those years of not driving? When by that time autonomous cars will probably be the norm? I work with a bunch of younger guys your age and younger, and only a few of them even have a driver's license, and the ones that do have one don't own a car, they drive mom's car. Yeah they think Ferraris and poo poo are cool but that's about the extent of it.

I get what you're saying, there are still going to be people that are into cars, it's just going to be a lot less people I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good, maybe if fewer people want old cars they'll be cheaper for me to get one.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Too bad we won’t be allowed to take gas powered, driver operated cars in public roads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Realistically I'll be dead before human operated vehicles are illegal on public roads so I'm choosing to not worry about that.

Best case it'll be around the time it becomes unsafe for me to operate a vehicle anymore at which point a self driving car would be loving awesome.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Self-driving cars becoming the only cars on the road is still a long ways a ways, given the technology and the inevitable lawsuits that will also hinder a full rollout.
That being said, I'm still looking forwards to that becoming more common. Especially if someone makes a self-driving cargo van :v:

xzzy posted:

Good, maybe if fewer people want old cars they'll be cheaper for me to get one.

Lol, MATCHING NUMBERS NO LOWBALLERS I KNOW WHAT I GOT will always be a universal constant.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MATCHING NUMBERS KIA RIO

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ExplodingSims posted:

Self-driving cars becoming the only cars on the road is still a long ways a ways, given the technology and the inevitable lawsuits that will also hinder a full rollout.

What's a long ways away? 40 years? 30? 20?

I'd say we are looking at 15-20 years before it starts in specific areas, and widespread by 30 years out.

I'll be 65 in 30 years, which is prime "buy that Hellcat I always wanted" territory.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm technically a millennial and have just increased my income to the point where I could have a project car. I didn't buy anything cool, just a forester to haul my whitewater kayaks and friends on road trips. The urge to boost it is strong already, but I'll let other people figure out the kinks on the new ones first. I have a jeep sitting in my garage that I need to put a working engine into, but that is a choice between put a stroker into it now or get a working 4.0 in it and upgrade the axles finally.

Edit: Car guys are rare among people my age, and there are more than a few people that I know that don't have basic car knowledge.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 12, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MATCHING NUMBERS KIA RIO

GEO METRO LSI RARE 2SEATER CONVERTABLE ROLLING SHELL $15000

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

eyebeem posted:

What's a long ways away? 40 years? 30? 20?

I'd say we are looking at 15-20 years before it starts in specific areas, and widespread by 30 years out.

I'll be 65 in 30 years, which is prime "buy that Hellcat I always wanted" territory.

I can see autodrive being a fairly standard feature on most cars in maybe 20 years, but the NO HUMAN DRIVERS ON ROADS fantasy, I don't see that happening for at least 40 years or so. You've still go to overcome the legal aspect of taking away people's ability to drive, though by that point I'm sure all the olds who'd fight the hardest to keep control will be dead. Then the technological aspect, which is catching up pretty fast. Then there will be the lawsuits that slow things down, from when a self-driving car takes out a crowd of people after it's found GM was using inferior sensors.

I really do think that getting people off the roads is a good idea, but it's going to be a while before it's really set in.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ExplodingSims posted:

by that point I'm sure all the olds who'd fight the hardest to keep control will be dead.
No, they'll be us.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

InitialDave posted:

No, they'll be us.

This.

And millennials don't make a lot of money, and the few that do live in packed cities where rent/mortgages eat that up.

Basically we're hosed, thanks olds, go gently caress yourself.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I'd like to see add-on sensor/comms kits for older cars that communicate with the new cars that will be coming out in the next 10-20 years. Basically so that when I hit the turn signal or gas pedal, all of the semi-autonomous cars doing the exact speed limit on the road will know and get the hell out of the way. Highways would look like those videos of a shark swimming through a school of fish.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I think we're much more likely to see separate roads for self-driving cars only (think HOV lanes) than to see self-driving cars only on all roads.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

eyebeem posted:

Too bad we won’t be allowed to take gas powered, driver operated cars in public roads.

Not unless we're ready to gently caress poo poo up like the hacker in ReelBigLizard's story.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
When I was tracking motorcycles in my early to mid twenties I was generally the youngest person there by 10 years.
Starting to track cars in my late twenties to early thirties I am still one of the younger ones, but there are quite a few more people my age -- though most not in money cars.

Few of the people that also rode bikes back then are still doing it, most of us grew up enough to know what we were actually risking. Most of the people I worked on cars with have moved on to other priorities and no longer have the extra time or budget to keep doing it. Some of the people that I knew back in the early 2000s that were into drifting / Nissans are now living that whole life either running a drift series, working for a pro level team, etc. I decided I didn't want to get into the automotive/aerospace industries career wise, now I'm kinda trying to figure out how to blend what I do now back into it, but still make money. I'd say most of the people I know that aren't doing so well just have no motivation, are perpetual planners who rarely pull the trigger, or didn't go into tech or a trade.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 12, 2018

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

EightBit posted:

I'm technically a millennial and have just increased my income to the point where I could have a project car. I didn't buy anything cool, just a forester to haul my whitewater kayaks and friends on road trips. The urge to boost it is strong already, but I'll let other people figure out the kinks on the new ones first. I have a jeep sitting in my garage that I need to put a working engine into, but that is a choice between put a stroker into it now or get a working 4.0 in it and upgrade the axles finally.

Edit: Car guys are rare among people my age, and there are more than a few people that I know that don't have basic car knowledge.

I too am a millennial (born 86) and about 5 years ago, I bought my 82 Volvo 245 as a project car so I can learn to wrench on cars as well as drive a stick shift. I only got it because while I could afford it (was $950 and in running condition), I had no place to park it. Luckily, my roommates mom had a strip of gravel at her house that she agreed to let me store the car on. If I didn't have a place to store it, I couldn't have the car. Over the years, the car became my daily until the engine blew up. It then spent 1.5 years sitting at another friends yard because we didn't have a garage we could pull the engine with. Eventually, a buddy of mine bought a house way down south with a giant shop. We finally moved the dead Volvo down about a little less than 90 min from where I live. The car now lives there in the shop. I'm free to wrench on it whenever, but it is still a 70 - 80 min drive one way to do so; which cause the project to move at a glacially slow pace.

The point is, I got stupid lucky to be able to have a project car on a very slim budget. However, I was only able to because I had a network of friends who were willing to help me out with offering me places to store the vehicle rent free. I fully admit that this is something most people in my age group would struggle with. If I didn't have this awesome network of friends, I would've had to sell my beloved Volvo for scrap instead of working to resurrect it.

Here in the Seattle area, the natives are being pushed out by the cost of living. As such, people in my age brackets have their daily driver (if that) and that is it. Parking is at such a premium that we simply can't afford to keep a second car to work on. Houses in the lower price ranges don't come with garages often, and as such you either are resigned to street parking or off street parking. If you rent, you can't have a non-op car. So many people want to be able to at least afford a house, and if we can achieve that, only then can we think about a project car. It sucks because I do have friends who are car people and they just cant afford the space to actually work on a car of their choice.

My baby among my buddy's Thing that we are doing a full restoration and his brother in law's Korea Mil Spec Jeep

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

As a gen-x'r, back in the early 90s I couldn't dream of buying a new car, let alone insure one. Now that I think of it, none of my friends had a new, or even semi-new cars until the end of the 90s. Most of our cars were 70s or 80s money pits. Guess what I'm saying are new cars, at least in my experience, were never for the young. Only very privileged few that dropped out of school and got an oilfield job ever had a new car.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 12, 2018

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

When I was tracking motorcycles in my early to mid twenties I was generally the youngest person there by 10 years.
Starting to track cars in my late twenties to early thirties I am still one of the younger ones, but there are quite a few more people my age -- though most not in money cars.

Few of the people that also rode bikes back then are still doing it, most of us grew up enough to know what we were actually risking. Most of the people I worked on cars with have moved on to other priorities and no longer have the extra time or budget to keep doing it. Some of the people that I knew back in the early 2000s that were into drifting / Nissans are now living that whole life either running a drift series, working for a pro level team, etc. I decided I didn't want to get into the automotive/aerospace industries career wise, now I'm kinda trying to figure out how to blend what I do now back into it, but still make money. I'd say most of the people I know that aren't doing so well just have no motivation, are perpetual planners who rarely pull the trigger, or didn't go into tech or a trade.

If I had more money I'd probably be more active in doing track stuff but I only have space for one car and not many spare resources so I'm stuck to the cone courses for the most part.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Wasabi the J posted:

This.

And millennials don't make a lot of money, and the few that do live in packed cities where rent/mortgages eat that up.

Basically we're hosed, thanks olds, go gently caress yourself.

Millennials got sold the college lie, and it hosed us.

I had a trade, couldn't afford school, did the military thing, got out with more skills and trades, and walked into a job that normally requires a 4 year degree.

I make decent money, and it will only go up. I'm 30, and if I hadn't been dumb I would already own a house if not multiple homes, but I had to learn some expensive mistakes.

But I own a newer car that we bought new, have my beater, and in a few months will either be buying another new car or a slightly older much nicer car.

I'm not all bootstrappy about it, it does suck. But loving our entire generation into thinking the only way to make a living is with a degree was bullshit.

As for younger generation into cars, no offense but some of y'all are out of touch as gently caress. They tend to obsess about cars at the same rate, but can't afford to buy them. Nor can they afford the rates to go to races. So it ends up a pipe dream that never leaves video games.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

Millennials got sold the college lie, and it hosed us.
The advice people give children and young adults is very much a "preparing to fight the last war" problem.

I don't view it as being anything deliberately vindictive and trying to set people up to fail, but by the same token, I have little time for the £30k-houses-and-final-salary-pensions generation getting lippy about "______ these days".

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
It wasn't vindictive by the parents as a rule, but by those in charge it definitely became a punishment, at least in the US.

Looking at college costs alone from the 60s to now shows that. Those in power saw a way to grab money, the government was complicit and even pushed the same agenda, and now it's biting us all in the rear end.

Everyone will need a plumber or electrician; this generation doesn't have very loving many of those.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

As for younger generation into cars, no offense but some of y'all are out of touch as gently caress. They tend to obsess about cars at the same rate, but can't afford to buy them. Nor can they afford the rates to go to races. So it ends up a pipe dream that never leaves video games.

My son loves the exotics but has a reasonable attainable dream car. Once he starts working in about six years or so he wants a FRS/BRZ as his first car, I imagine they should be pretty affordable by then.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was never really forced into college, but it was more or less an unspoken thing. I dropped out after a year in EE, bummed around / hosed up some more school for a few years on my own dime / almost ended up last-ditch effort joining the Navy at 24 (lol), and pretty much forced myself to try and do SOMETHING. Ended up with an associates and buying my way into development as an intern almost five years ago. Lump sum paid off the ~$25k in wasted student loan money in November last year.

It wasn't really clear to me what a farce the college system is until I ended up with a good job and started looking around at the people that had finished out degrees and where most were in relation to myself. With the right mindset, career field choice, and guidance college is absolutely worth it, but it's not for everyone and it shouldn't be some kind of societal expectation of every kid. I don't regret what I learned along the way, and I think it would be hard to get an eighteen year old to understand the proper path and what it takes to rise if you don't go to college at all.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 13, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

iwentdoodie posted:

It wasn't vindictive by the parents as a rule, but by those in charge it definitely became a punishment, at least in the US.

Looking at college costs alone from the 60s to now shows that. Those in power saw a way to grab money, the government was complicit and even pushed the same agenda, and now it's biting us all in the rear end.

Everyone will need a plumber or electrician; this generation doesn't have very loving many of those.

The threat of automation comes for us all though. We might not have robots coming to do our jobs (yet) but the introduction of sensors, transducers, easier to work with materiel, etc, is going to keep pushing the barrier for entry lower and lower.

I work in a trade, HVAC/R and that is also something of a dying field. Though I can't blame many people for not wanting to get into it. Bust your all all day outside for pennies isn't exactly a good selling point. It still pays better than say, working in retail or what have you, and there are still unions out there fighting the good fight, but it's not at all surprising that the trades aren't very appealing.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

ExplodingSims posted:

The threat of automation comes for us all though. We might not have robots coming to do our jobs (yet) but the introduction of sensors, transducers, easier to work with materiel, etc, is going to keep pushing the barrier for entry lower and lower.

I work in a trade, HVAC/R and that is also something of a dying field. Though I can't blame many people for not wanting to get into it. Bust your all all day outside for pennies isn't exactly a good selling point. It still pays better than say, working in retail or what have you, and there are still unions out there fighting the good fight, but it's not at all surprising that the trades aren't very appealing.

Agreed. Owning a "fun vehicle" is a good time waster, by the way. And they impress girls

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A3th3r posted:

Agreed. Owning a "fun vehicle" is a good time waster, by the way. And they impress girls

Unless, like me, your “fun vehicle” is an Abarth Cabrio. Then you just impress non-bro car guys and little kids.

Which is of course way better.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

A3th3r posted:

I was going to say "unless it's a track car", then I think about all of the women who go to the track.

Yeah, cars and a personality work well together depending on the type of girl (or guy) you're after.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Any NorCal goons looking for a :krad: project?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1963-cadillac-4x4-project/6481365392.html

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

I can't wait for cars in the Millennial era to get old and be worth absolutely nothing because most millenials don't give a poo poo about cars :v:

the new miatas actually look good so it'll be interesting to see them and stuff like the FRS/BRZ years from now when they only cost like 5-10k and the internet has documented every possible quirk regarding them

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007
Never knew merc did these things before now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I hate to go OT and post not awesome car poo poo, so I'll try and keep it short. Sorry in advance.

BlackMK4 posted:

With the right mindset, career field choice, and guidance college is absolutely worth it, but it's not for everyone and it shouldn't be some kind of societal expectation of every kid. I don't regret what I learned along the way, and I think it would be hard to get an eighteen year old to understand the proper path and what it takes to rise if you don't go to college at all.

This is my view. I'd encourage my kid to go if they have a plan in mind and want to pursue a career where a degree will pay off and land you a job. Aka not some liberal arts degree or something like that. The trades are a great alternative but looked down upon for whatever reason, even though you can make bank doing them. But like any job, you have to go where the money is which is my best advice I'd give a kid. Choose your own adventure from there.

My millennial success story: I got an engineering degree without a ton of debt (~25k IIRC, was fortunate that my parents were able to help as much as they did) and landed a job as soon as I graduated making more than my parents made when they retired. Ten years on I live pretty comfortably and have a new car that's paid off and live within my means. Only debt is my mortgage. I have no project cars because I don't have time or don't want to spend what time I do have loving with broken cars. poo poo gets old and I'd rather fire up a game like iRacing instead if I want to scratch that itch. I learned out of necessity (was too poor to pay shops to fix stuff) and I'm grateful for that as it shaped my interests and ultimately my career path, but I'm sort of over it anymore. Maybe someday I'll get a project to work on with the kids for their first car or something, but until then I'm fine being boring suburban dad. :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"The Sunny Side Of The Street"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

https://gifs.com/gif/clever-girl-L8BQEv

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mother of god.

(wish it was an explorer)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dreams *can* come true.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

How do his little arms reach the steering wheel?

Also:

eyebeem posted:

(wish it was an explorer)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What's up with the front wheels wobbling so hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

The Door Frame posted:

What's up with the front wheels wobbling so hard?

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand. :mmmhmm: