Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

MorsAnima posted:

"Did a goon blow you up unfairly? Fill out this and send it to 16 different people for a refund!"

I had a very boring 3 hour skype meeting :nallears:

edit: spelling

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Captain posted:

The security dot-to-dot is laughably easy and does NOT result in goatse.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

E3 is in early June, they'll still be working on Star Citizen Alpha 3.1, so nothing to show!

nope

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community_events

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Daztek posted:

E3 is in early June, they'll still be working on Star Citizen Alpha 3.1, so nothing to show!

Uh, RSI clearly stated that they could do monthly, quarterly, or yearly patches based on demand and how long they can keep the interns chained to their desks, so you are, in fact, very wrong.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

big nipples big life posted:

Star Citizen will be the best game for griefing because of these people.

Seriously. I want to know where these guys go after this whole thing dies off. And grief them in the most Eve Online way. AKA blow up their titan with a newbie ship.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Virtual Captain posted:

:perfect:
:five::five::five:

----------------

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I'm bringing back GOONFEAR in 2018.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Lladre posted:

Seriously. I want to know where these guys go after this whole thing dies off. And grief them in the most Eve Online way. AKA blow up their titan with a newbie ship.

They'll keep playing the game on /r/StarCitizen

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

Seriously. I want to know where these guys go after this whole thing dies off. And grief them in the most Eve Online way. AKA blow up their titan with a newbie ship. Z0r chain them in local while they sit in station.

I fixed it for you.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
When I went to see if LOD was even a game. (It's not. It's vaporware).
I saw they actually have a LOD comic. 3 episodes long.

And it's utter poo poo. Like seriously bad. Worse than the games.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Sure. Read all three tabs (About/Key Features/Player Guide)
http://lodgame.com/info/

Thank you, I think I've got most of it now.

The goal in Line of Defense is to defeat the opposing team by capturing all the important buildings (which each provide a bonus to the team that controls it) in the play area. The challenge is in preventing the opposing team from capturing those buildings. The players overcome this challenge by teamwork, combat skill in both FPS and a variety of vehicles, and managing the bonuses of owned buildings to maximum effect. A team wins by...

capturing the important buildings, progressively rendering the opposing team weaker, and ultimately, rendering the opposing team unable to spawn any units?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

I fixed it for you.

That would make them sooo mad.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Preen Dog posted:

The goal in Line of Defense is to defeat the opposing team by capturing all the important buildings (which each provide a bonus to the team that controls it) in the play area. The challenge is in preventing the opposing team from capturing those buildings. The players overcome this challenge by teamwork, combat skill in both FPS and a variety of vehicles, and managing the bonuses of owned buildings to maximum effect. A team wins by...

capturing the important buildings, progressively rendering the opposing team weaker, and ultimately, rendering the opposing team unable to spawn any units?

Well from what I understand before the game was pulled from the store. Was that whoever didn't give up out of boredom first won (some would say they lost). Sort of like CiG's Star marine game mode.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

D_Smart posted:

It's rubbish invented by Take Two execs in an attempt to hurt my credibility after I went public that they had shipped the game knowing that it was not ready. It was also the first time that I took legal action against a publisher. And won.

I dunno man it sounds pretty likely, it'd be a weird thing to make up.

How do you feel about Pepsi machines.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Hav posted:

Have you ever worried about your catapults being cleared quick enough to get another BARCAP into the air? Have you ever done a quick back of the envelope calculation to figure out the fuel consumption of a tank column? Have you ever had to reduce energy allocations to HET your way out of a hellbore attack? Have you ever hankered after a game where you could be seriously in the poo poo but limp your rear end back to base?

It's a grognardy game for grognards. Some of the finest simulations out there have the worst loving interfaces because that's not why you bought them. I'm a huge fan of CMANO because it does a fairly decent job of simulating air and sea warfare, but it's literally a windows application. Combat flight sims get even worse, because the amount of bullshit that you'll put up with to fly a fidelitous Bf-109 is quite high if the flight model is sound.

Hell, we still play Silent Hunter III because it's the best wartime sub simulator there actually is. So Derek's stuff _appeals_ to that segment of the population.

It's more the fun-sharia. You have to voluntarily follow thatguy's rules rather than their being mandated.

Thanks; I understand better now. At a glance to me it all looked like super complicated RTS stuff kind of.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

alphabettitouretti posted:

How do you feel about Pepsi machines.

I would take it out to a nice dinner.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

D_Smart posted:

It's a combined arms online-only game. It's played primarily in fps mode, but also has air/space craft, as well as ground vehicles and naval craft.

It's like Planetside without the complexity.

Thanks. So it's not a grogthor game, but in fact a game for normal people?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

The best thing about modern gaming is all the identity politics.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Does anyone know if RSI/CIG/insertothercompanynamehere is going to E3 this year if they are skipping Gamescom. Hard to believe that the best game in the universe would miss such press events :ohdear:

I am confident at this point that Star Citizen will never again be shown at shows or conventions where other games are being demonstrated. It's too easy at that point to directly compare SC to actual games and it's bad optics when the booth for a 180 million dollar game barely sees any traffic.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
GUARDFREQUENCY: TheGremlich sends GF a letter about Derek Smart at 1:04:29.

:lol::lol::lol:

Gremlich’s feedback is followed by further discussion of Derek’s evil deeds, which the hosts reject.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Preen Dog posted:

Yes, pretty much. But it also has World Events which are mission based

http://lodgame.com/faqs/world-events/

And it's not session based. So nothing "resets". It's just one long battle that goes on forever. At least until the server croaks and restarts. :grin:

And it's not hosted in the cloud either because AWS instances are super expensive. That's why the suite of network services, dubbed Wide Span Global, were designed like this.

quote:

The game’s hybrid tech supports both dedicated server as well as peer-to-peer (client hosts and plays) session hosting for PC and consoles. It supports a large number of players in a persistent, non-sharded, non-instanced, game world. Our Wide Span Global (WSG) network technology supports various networking and game hosting configurations.

WSG DEDICATED SERVERS

The game world is currently locked to support 256 players per scene. When a scene is full, access to it is prohibited.

There are currently a total of thirteen (4 planetary bases, 4 space regions, 4 stations, 1 carrier) scenes.

A full WSG server cluster can handle up to 3328 clients online at any given time. Once that number is reached, additional clients will be unable to connect, and must join another server.

Though the engine is capable of supporting a larger number (e.g. could be 2048 if we wanted) of clients, we picked 256 clients per scene based on the server config, as well as the need to keep performance in check. The novelty of 2000+ people fighting a battle on a single server, is just that – a novelty. It tends to wear off once the initial adrenaline rush is over and people are complaining about performance issues.

PLAYER HOSTED SERVERS

This option allows any player client to host a game for up to 64 players. During setup, sessions can be public or set to private with a password. The player can also setup which supported World Event will be running during the session.

Unlike a WSG dedicated server, for efficiency, player hosted servers can only demand load the scenes used in the World Event.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 13, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Seriously. A 3000AD thread in games. Please.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alphabettitouretti posted:

Which part of "they retracted it in 2001" did you miss; along with the CGW article?

----------------

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Round
Like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning
On an ever-spinning reel
Like a snowball down a mountain
Or a carnival balloon
Like a carousel that's turning
Running rings around the moon
Like a clock whose hands are sweeping
Past the minutes of its face
And the world is like an apple
Whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Seriously. A 3000AD thread in games. Please.

Star Citizen: A 3000AD Thread

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Danknificent posted:

Thanks. So it's not a grogthor game, but in fact a game for normal people?

Yes.

Qualifier: define "normal" :grin:

----------------

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen: A 3000AD Thread

The 3000 Page AD Megathread

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The 3000 Page AD Megathread

Perfect, MODS?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Derek Smart Derek Smart Derek Smart Megathread

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

GUARDFREQUENCY: TheGremlich sends GF a letter about Derek Smart at 1:04:29.

:lol::lol::lol:

Gremlich’s feedback is followed by further discussion of Derek’s evil deeds, which the hosts reject.

LOL!! that tool is a few brain cells short of aneurysm.

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich

----------------

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's not how aneurysm's work.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! that tool is a few brain cells short of aneurysm.

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich

He used so many $0.25 words in his letter... by the time they finished reading it I was ready to defenestrate the guy!

:argh:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lladre posted:

That's not how aneurysm's work.

Is there a Guinness Record for how wrong one can be?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is there a Guinness Record for how wrong one can be?

Yes, currently held by this guy.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

He used so many $0.25 words in his letter... by the time they finished reading it I was ready to defenestrate the guy!

:argh:

:laffo:
:same:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

:negative:

----------------

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

Which part of "they retracted it in 2001" did you miss; along with the CGW article?

is that stored at the same place you got your degrees? guess I missed everything!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Daztek posted:

gently caress that guy

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That's not what a retraction is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Codezombie posted:

Does Hearts of Iron seem a bit lightweight?
Do you find Dwarf Fortress's interface too intuitive?

If so, then Derek Smart has the game for YOU!

I just had fun taking over the world as Italy in HoI4, so I think I'm cool with not playing the Derek Smart game by posting constant :smuggo: posts ITT, stealing goon cred and doxxing on the side.