Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The new class is going to be the ship from Ikaruga since we now have bullet hell bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Philonius posted:

Yeah, just make it mitigate like normal but the animation is a dodge. Done.

Edit: Garlean gunblade with heavy armor sounds perfect, and would fit thematically with a Garlean expansion. Can solve positioning errors by making the backflip root the target.

Jump into the air to shoot and hover for a second. Keep the boss in place.

SonicRulez posted:

Shinryu and Omega were paired as ultimate bosses in FFV, I'm pretty sure. I think that's the point. I don't understand how someone could think Omega won't be the final boss of its own raid tier. Like imagine if Coil hadn't ended in fighting Bahamut.

They were optional bosses. Omega patrolled in the overworld in between a save point and a mandatory boss, and Shinryu was a monster-in-a-box that dropped Ragnarok.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

The new class is going to be the ship from Ikaruga since we now have bullet hell bosses.
Einhander, actually

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Einhander, actually

That was already a boss in Keeper of the Lake.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rosalind posted:

The issue is how do you justify a blue mage wearing fending gear though? I don't think they're going to add a new gearset just for blue mages.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Just give them fending gear and make a few sets look blue magey. They don't really need to justify that sort of stuff.

It's not like the FF14 team has trouble with reimagining a job, given what they did with Bard.

BLU with Fending gear and hammers, DNC with Scouting gear and whips/ribbons, and CHM with a mortar or cannon and using the Healing gear is perfectly workable with what FF14 has set up so far.

Tie it all to Thavnair and you have an expansion ready to go.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So what everyone is saying is Hydrus is this game's version of General Leo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rosalind posted:

The issue is how do you justify a blue mage wearing fending gear though? I don't think they're going to add a new gearset just for blue mages.

I think they were laying the groundwork for that already: Throwing a unique job-specific set of gear that looks low-level blue-magey at you as soon as you pick up the job stone, just like with SAM and RDM.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still think Paladins should have been given, or should eventually get, Leo's Shock ability from FF6.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 14, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just have them throw their hands up and have dancer use rogue gear and whatever tank class come out use dragoon gear just so that every class has at least one other job that shares equipment with each other.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Leofish posted:

I still think Paladins should have been given, or should eventually get, Leo's Shock ability from FF6.

I have bad news for you: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shock_(ability)

Probably going to be the last piece in the trinity of Flare/Foul/Shock.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So lightning for WHM? Huh...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, I won't rule it out, but it's got a history as Black Magic, so.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Regula gets a lot more creepy after all of the stuff with Resonant-making. If you're lucky, he wants to turn you into an Echo puree to inject into someone's eyeballs, if you're unlucky, you get stuck in a tube to use as a pattern for eternity. Either way, not nice.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean, I won't rule it out, but it's got a history as Black Magic, so.

It was white magic in xiv 1.0

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's kind of a generous definition of "generally a high level Black Magic spell" the wiki using. It's existed four times, half of those times as black magic and half of those times used by spell sword knightly characters (Leo/Beatrix). Oh and once in the prior iteration of this game that was disintegrated (among many many many other reasons) because it felt almost nothing like a Final Fantasy game. On purpose, for some reason.

Frankly, for a game that banks on nostalgia like FF14 I'd bet more on it going to Paladin or a Mystic Knight job than anyone else.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 14, 2018

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
People were mentioning classes that are missing from this game that were in previous games. I think there is a great case to be made for both blue mage and dancer. But classes like geomancer and time mage, I find a bit harder to find how they'd fit in. Geomancers have basically been absorbed into conjurers. Time mages have basically been absorbed into astrologians. I don't know how they could do either of those classes and make them distinct enough from the ones already in game. Mystic knight, I've become kind of ambivalent about because it feels like it would be kinda similar to red mages in an odd way that could seem someone derivative. Mystic knight feels kind of like "what if red mage but tank?!"

imo, it basically breaks down like this:

Seem easy to fit in:
Dancer
Blue Mage
Beastmaster
Necromancer
Chemist
Puppetmaster
Oracle/Mystic

Seem harder to fit in:
Geomancers (due to conjurers)
Time Mages (do to astrologians)
Berserker (due to Warriors)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Skaw posted:

Praise be to the Mendacity bow. Byakko lutebow is sooooo awful. Back above 2k crit, but still 200 off from bis last tier.

It really does seem like they've kinda hosed with BRD a bit this tier since there isn't nearly as much crit gear to go around just based off of Sigmascape and the Mendacity gear. Why is there so much skillspeed sprinkled around time? Makes no sense.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Blue Mage as heavily-armoured behemoth fighting with a paired knife and fork. There, done.

:getin:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
They can't really do Time Mage because most of it's iconic spells are either incorporated into other jobs (haste/haste-like effects) or debuffs that would be useless on boss fights (stop, slow) or just outright incompatible/blazingly overpowered with how FFXIV is (quick.) Heck, Comets and Meteors are limit breaks so those are out too.

Geomancers at the end of the day are pretty much conjurer's and the only thing notable aside from that was that in FFT they had good PA growth and access to stat boosting hats so Agrias got more use out of her special snowflake skillset by being in Geomancer.

Mystic Knight is kind of in a weird place because their big thing is hitting stuff really hard with elemental damage (which is more of a Boss Mechanic thing in FFXIV than a player one) and the NPC-only Enfire, Enaero, Enlevin etc. spells are pretty much what they do. So how would they build the class from there?

Oracle/Mystic have the same problem as Time Mage in that they're either not compatible with the game because their central schtick is useless (debuffs) or their central idea is co-opted into another class (AST's are pretty much FF5's oracle class fluffwise.)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Blue Mage tank HAS to happen.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Regula gets a lot more creepy after all of the stuff with Resonant-making. If you're lucky, he wants to turn you into an Echo puree to inject into someone's eyeballs, if you're unlucky, you get stuck in a tube to use as a pattern for eternity. Either way, not nice.

Regula, like Warring Triad Regula? I don't remember that being a thing

Also I know dick all about Final Fantasy jobs but another heavy armor dps would be rad as gently caress

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Green Mages as tanks. They can have a one-handed hammer and a book in the offhand and have like a stodgy bookish Sharlayan aesthetic. Tank by casting spells like Wall and Reflect on themselves and by casting debuffs on enemies. Maybe roll in some enchant weapon skills from Mystic Knight and some laying-down-the-law skills from Mediator

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

People were mentioning classes that are missing from this game that were in previous games. I think there is a great case to be made for both blue mage and dancer. But classes like geomancer and time mage, I find a bit harder to find how they'd fit in. Geomancers have basically been absorbed into conjurers. Time mages have basically been absorbed into astrologians. I don't know how they could do either of those classes and make them distinct enough from the ones already in game. Mystic knight, I've become kind of ambivalent about because it feels like it would be kinda similar to red mages in an odd way that could seem someone derivative. Mystic knight feels kind of like "what if red mage but tank?!"

Mystic Knight's defining feature falls a little flat in a game where elemental affinity doesn't matter in combat, but that's not to say it can't be adapted. Making it a tank, I could see something like Flare Sword and Holy Sword being the stances, which affect how weaponskills look and act. Flare Sword for DPS, where attacks explode and burn, and Holy Sword as the tank stance, which inflicts debuffs on enemies for mitigation and/or provides self-healing.

The more I read from this thread, the more I like the idea of a Blue Mage tank, turning enemy attacks against them. I once pitched the idea of a Dancer tank on the notion that the class exemplifies wanting to be the centre of attention and keeping all eyes on itself, but I doubt they'll introduce a new line of tank gear that isn't heavy suits of armor so Dex-based DPS or healer is probably more likely.

The comedy answer for Beastmaster would be a class that "summons" animals for individual attacks but does not have a pet. :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Personally I’m betting they’ll sort of fold Mystic Knight into Blue Mage, which honestly isn’t a stretch from their FF11 aesthetic, much like so many other Jobs have been cannibalized in FF14 (Geo, Time) for parts by other jobs.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Just copy modern Enhancement Shaman from WoW for Mystic Knight. Certain attacks apply a buff to your weapons that add an elemental hit to autoattacks. Just say "Enstone/Enfire" instead of "Rockbiter/Flametongue" and you're good.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Leofish posted:

The comedy answer for Beastmaster would be a class that "summons" animals for individual attacks but does not have a pet. :v:

Their weapons are increasingly fancy bags.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think if an expansion ever goes into the heart of the empire a Rune Knight tank that focuses on reactive AoE mitigation using a variant of Runic or something could be a real possibility.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If they make a Garlemald expansion and all the new jobs aren't powered by magitek, they've seriously hosed up. Gunhammer tank, gunsword DPS, chemist healer.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Judge Magisters could make for a dual wielding tank.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

homeless snail posted:

If they make a Garlemald expansion and all the new jobs aren't powered by magitek, they've seriously hosed up. Gunhammer tank, gunsword DPS, chemist healer.

Yeah. That's one expansion where they'd most likely do 3 jobs again, I hope.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely would like to see a Magitek Knight class.

Or a Magitek Armor class. gently caress, if they had a Magitek Armor class I'd never use anything else.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

homeless snail posted:

Gunblade :colbert:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
give me the ffxii judge armor yoship

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Instead of Mystic Knight, give us Magitek Knight that cannibalizes the Mystic Knight abilities.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Kuvo posted:

give me the ffxii judge armor yoship

iirc it is already in the game, and can only be worn by GM characters :smith:

Also, I think you mean the Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance Judge Armour

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What do you use for Chemist weapons when the traditional ones are all used by other classes?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lori posted:

iirc it is already in the game, and can only be worn by GM characters :smith:

We got to see kitty jail in a quest, maybe we'll get some knockoff judge armor in one. We can hope.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

What do you use for Chemist weapons when the traditional ones are all used by other classes?
Toolbelts, visible belts are back and they're chemist weapons.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Throwing vials of questionable substances would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Bombs/Throwing vials would be the easiest. It's even an existing FF weapon.