Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm Jack's tie rod end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Door Frame posted:

What's up with the front wheels wobbling so hard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncTgYl7P_TE&t=42s

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

If you've never had this happen, don't laugh. It's called death wobble for a reason, you think you're going to die if it happens at highway speeds.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
What would you do to stop the wobble in that situation?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

cool startup feel posted:

let off the gas

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is there some sort of damper that can be added between the knuckle and the frame or steering rack to prevent that from ever happening? I thought I had read that this instability is inherent to having a solid front axle, so there must be some engineering solution to make it not a deathtrap.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Wait, is this something that just happens? Like, there's no component wear or failure here, it's just ---~~~===a jeep thing===~~~---?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Memento posted:

Wait, is this something that just happens? Like, there's no component wear or failure here, it's just ---~~~===a jeep thing===~~~---?

It seems to happen when a variety of front-end parts are all pretty worn. I would imagine slapping lift kits and giant tires only aggravates the issue, too.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Memento posted:

No, it's not just a Jeep thing, it's usually a result a few different steering and suspensions parts wearing down.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Memento posted:

It's not present, then you add parts and suddenly it tries to kill you.

Death wobble is fun. What's more fun is when everything is new and shiny, and it still happens.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Is there some sort of damper that can be added between the knuckle and the frame or steering rack to prevent that from ever happening? I thought I had read that this instability is inherent to having a solid front axle, so there must be some engineering solution to make it not a deathtrap.

Steering dampers only mask death wobble, they can't stop it. Death wobble is caused by something being worn out and allowing your front suspension to resonate. It's not just a jeep thing, but the combination of "old ratty jeep" and "lifted to make a trail rig" is the easiest way to get there. Just about any solid front axle setup can get it with the right worn out parts and a bit of a bump to start it.

The best way to stop it is to brake vigorously, be careful to not cause a wreck.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
See, I was always taught throttle out, it'll fix itself eventually :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit posted:

If you've never had this happen, don't laugh. It's called death wobble for a reason, you think you're going to die if it happens at highway speeds.

Requiem for a Jeep had it so bad

So f*ckin bad

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's normally wear and slop in the steering components, but lifting the suspension in a way that reduces the castor angle can make for some very odd behaviour too.

Agree, if you've never driven with it at high speed, you don't know what you're missing out on...

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
A coworker's 19 year old son just crashed his Jeep Monday evening due to death wobble. Hit him when he went over a bump in a highway off ramp, he lost control and slammed into a tree at 40-some-odd MPH. Good times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like the solution to death wobble is once you bring the jeep to a halt, get rid of it immediately and buy something that can handle going over 40 mph without self destructing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

cool startup feel posted:

get rid of your terrible jeep

damnit, beaten ^ :argh:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MetaJew posted:

There is actually supposed to be a damper on there. There is one from the factory - just a shock absorber between the frame and drag link - but as noted, it helps but does not prevent if everything else is chooched.
(Holy poo poo - Chrome spell-check recognizes "chooched".)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
The factory damper is between the axle and the drag link.

Edit: the dynamics are a bit strange on jeeps. Lifts gently caress up the geometry in several ways. Stomping the brakes causes the nose to dip and can change the toe enough to stop the resonance. Plus, it's way easier to cause a sharp acceleration with the brakes rather than the gas pedal in a jeep :science:

EightBit fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 14, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
In motorcycle world we get back on the throttle as hard as possible to get weight off the front end when it's slapping around. guess that's not a realistic option in a Jeep :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You just pop a wheelie to get the front off the ground when it starts wobbling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

You just pop a wheelie to get the front off the ground when it starts wobbling.

But it's a bump that triggers the death wobble. So, great, it goes away when your front end is in the air but as soon as gravity does its job you're right back in the same world of hurt.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

But it's a bump that triggers the death wobble. So, great, it goes away when your front end is in the air but as soon as gravity does its job you're right back in the same world of hurt.

"never lift"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Finger Prince posted:

"never lift"

It's a Jeep so that's 100% of the time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

Just keep riding the wheelie forever.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

In motorcycle world we get back on the throttle as hard as possible to get weight off the front end when it's slapping around. guess that's not a realistic option in a Jeep :v:
Think about what that does to your geometry, and I suspect you have the answer as to why it works.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

EightBit posted:

The factory damper is between the axle and the drag link.

Doy, you're right. Hand over the dunce cap.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ExplodingSims posted:

No, it's not just a Jeep thing, it's usually a result a few different steering and suspensions parts wearing down.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It seems to happen when a variety of front-end parts are all pretty worn. I would imagine slapping lift kits and giant tires only aggravates the issue, too.

Happened to my boss' brand new jeep with oversized tires right off the dealer lot. The thing had less than 1000 miles on it and he could reproduce the death wobble pretty regularly.
Quite scary when it happens at 65mph right as you hit a joint of a bridge like this one

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EightBit posted:

It's not just a jeep thing,

It's not, aside from Jeep being far and away the most common application of front suspensions that can encounter this. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've owned two 4x4 XJs with bigger (but not oversized) tires and never once got the death wobble, and I'm pretty sure they both need work on the front end.

Simple cure is don't have a lifted Wrangler as your DD and don't drive it on the interstate if you don't have to.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Simple cure is don't have a lifted Wrangler as your DD and don't drive it on the interstate if you don't have to.

This is on par with "don't buy one at all." :mad:

Take care of your poo poo, maintain it properly, don't buy a $50 ebay lift kit, and you're fine.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Who wants to own George Carlin's BMW?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Let me know when Jon Voight’s Chrysler Lebaron is for sale.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All I can see in that car is a Cavalier with some BMW guts.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

xzzy posted:

I wonder if Hammond would be interested?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

You mean Calibra

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

George Carlin had a 90s BMW? Well then he's alright be me :v:

xzzy posted:

Lot of nissan s13/240sx looks imo, but crazy v12* and probably huge bmw car phone

*2x bmw inline 6cyl joined at the crank with some bodge down at the cylinder head with 2 of everything (controllers, efi etc)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 16, 2018

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

xzzy posted:

mobby_6kl posted:

You mean Calibra

Sure, in the same way that a Supra is a Cougar with some Toyota guts

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think my point is the mid/late 90's was not a good era for body styling.

Though I suppose in 15 years everyone will be slobbering over those vintage molded curves like we all have a fetish for g-bodies now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

xzzy posted:

I think my point is the mid/late 90's was not a good era for body styling.

Though I suppose in 15 years everyone will be slobbering over those vintage molded curves like we all have a fetish for g-bodies now.

The 850 is an 80s design and imho doesn't look anything like a Caviler or similar in the flesh. It's got a really good and low presence plus that 12-cyl. The 850s are already respected ala g-bodies too but pretty sure that's all in the ones with the 12.