Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Aeon's End: Legacy looks really good. The base game is well received, and... there's mystery boxes. I'll cop to being a total sucker for mystery boxes. They're also selling "full reset" packs, which I like, even if I probably won't use.

I'm not sure about its "Kickstarter Value" proposition on this, but I'm excited for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Sooooo people are making a Princess Bride RPG of all things. Wasn't there some sort of controversy surrounding this? It's looks... Weird.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Da Share Z0ne has a new stretch goal

NEXT STRECH GOAL: $150,000 --ENAMEL PIN-- EVERYONE WHO PLEGES FOR THE BASIC GAME OR FOR EXPANSIONS AND EXTRAS WILL GET A EXCLUSIVE SHARE Z0NE PIN. ITS A CAT SKULL AND ITS TO REMEMBER BOODLEHEIMER R.I.P. 1998-2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Sooooo people are making a Princess Bride RPG of all things. Wasn't there some sort of controversy surrounding this? It's looks... Weird.

I was under the impression that Stefan had divested himself of FUDGE when it became FATE? So I'm not sure what's going on here?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

jmzero posted:

Aeon's End: Legacy looks really good. The base game is well received, and... there's mystery boxes. I'll cop to being a total sucker for mystery boxes. They're also selling "full reset" packs, which I like, even if I probably won't use.

I'm not sure about its "Kickstarter Value" proposition on this, but I'm excited for the game.

Yeah, I'm very pleased with Aeon's End and the idea of a legacy style campaign that then leaves you with content that can continue to be used in standard Aeon's End games going forward is an immediate back for me.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wrong thread. Ignore me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Just got an email from a project I backed last year which was canceled due to the death of the head of the company producing it: Tiny Wastelands from Gallant Knight Games.

It's an even lighter post-apoc game than PBTA, with a mechanical set that sums to 'roll 2d6, 5+ succeeds' +/- 1d6 if you have advantage or disadvantage based on your character traits.

It's already fully funded, and the art, text, and layout are done because this was supposed to go out a year ago before the unfortunate death of the owner of Nocturnal Media which they were part of at the time. Worth a look, I'm thinking I may pick it up as something to run at games days or cons. The price point's good too, 35 bucks for a softcover, GM screen, deck of Enclave cards (yearly settlement events in the wasteland), and 3 custom dice. Printing and fulfillment is DTRPG, which has worked well for me in the past.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 14, 2018

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
I've been thinking of buying the original Aeon's End, and now they are dropping this plus the original and expansions as value-pack add-ons. It all starts to add up to the point that drat, that's a hard bargain.

edit: Once again, though, Gloomhaven looms large as probably the only game worth going to at that price point. I missed the most recent release, but I heard another is on its way.

A Horse Named Mandy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 14, 2018

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Liquid Communism posted:

It's an even lighter post-apoc game than PBTA, with a mechanical set that sums to 'roll 2d6, 5+ succeeds' +/- 1d6 if you have advantage or disadvantage based on your character traits.

A 5 or 6 on any one dice, I assume? Not, the standard roll difficulty is success 5/6 of the time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
How does the original Aeon's End play btw?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

A 5 or 6 on any one dice, I assume? Not, the standard roll difficulty is success 5/6 of the time.

Yeah, it's this. It's the same engine as Tiny Dungeons, I believe.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

thefakenews posted:

Yeah, it's this. It's the same engine as Tiny Dungeons, I believe.

Yep, the Tiny D6 engine.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I do believe this is the very first kickstarter for the PDQ system (not to mention the first new PDQ property in a while)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eloylasanta/h-p-lovecraft-preparatory-academy-tabletop-rpg/?ref=kicktraq

Really seems like it should be called "Miskatonic Preparatory Academy", or just Dunwich or Arkham (as the miskatonic name gets slapped on a lot of stuff).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/dice-throne-season-two

I dunno if anybody here has heard of dice throne before but I guess it has a kickstarter for a new season of it. Personally, I'm not really feeling it, it kinda looks like something a robot might print up if I gave it the task of coming up with a 1v1 dice rolling game with unique characters. Like, it doesn't look BAD, I'm just kinda indifferent to it.

So why'd I link it then? Because I'm annoyed way more than I should be that their box art stuff isn't the same across each box.

Obviously it's a really really tiny and petty and insignificant thing but it bugs me so much that 4 of the characters are looking directly ahead and then the other 2 are facing towards each other.

Oh also because the kickstarter pitch video is...special. I swear the narrator is pronouncing it "sammyrai" or something and they set up this whole plot thing just to get to the point of "ok you roll dice at each other" about halfway into the vid.

Maybe I'm being too tough on it. It just looks kinda...generic? Bland?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

On one hand it looks bad, on the other hand it's Roxley.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's Roxley? Are they known for good games?

Henker
May 5, 2009

Roxley I think is mostly known for insanely pretty looking games. Check out the first edition of Brass compared to the Roxley printing (Brass: Lancashire).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Roxley did the first (retail) version of Santorini, which also looks fantastic.

Not sure what Steampunk Rally looks like but it's got a good reputation in the thread.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I didn't see anybody else post this in the last few pages, so just in case here's the trailer to the kickstarter of the game of the movie about the book with the magic! Harry Potter Miniatures Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1VtiDR0WkY

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 15, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

FirstAidKite posted:

I dunno if anybody here has heard of dice throne before but I guess it has a kickstarter for a new season of it. Personally, I'm not really feeling it, it kinda looks like something a robot might print up if I gave it the task of coming up with a 1v1 dice rolling game with unique characters. Like, it doesn't look BAD, I'm just kinda indifferent to it.

So why'd I link it then? Because I'm annoyed way more than I should be that their box art stuff isn't the same across each box.

Obviously it's a really really tiny and petty and insignificant thing but it bugs me so much that 4 of the characters are looking directly ahead and then the other 2 are facing towards each other.

Oh also because the kickstarter pitch video is...special. I swear the narrator is pronouncing it "sammyrai" or something and they set up this whole plot thing just to get to the point of "ok you roll dice at each other" about halfway into the vid.

I have Dice Throne, its fine? There's some neat ideas but it never really comes together for me. It's sorta like MtG but the attack phase is yahtzee. It's a bit too rulesy for the amount of engagement you get out of it, I think, but it's physically a really good product. Good production quality and the insets are clever.

I'm not interested in the second season or whatever theyre calling it, but it's a perfectly adequate game.

e: There's an official preview version on TTS if you're curious about it

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

FirstAidKite posted:

I get it, there's just something off about the art style. I will say it's nice to see three (four?) women, one of color, and none of them have tits hanging out of barely adequate bikini tops.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I'd say the art is solidly good, but it's also very much a comic-style which benefits from implied motion or action, and is probably not well-served by a lot of shots of people staring at the camera. The fact that it's being used for a bunch of different genres with no clear unifying theme probably isn't helping either.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It reminds me of the art Penny Arcade got hired to do for World of Warcraft.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

How does the original Aeon's End play btw?

Market stack deckbuilder like Dominion. Each player has a character with a special power you charge up to use and four spell slots, each of which might be open or at various levels of closed (or just permanently unavailable in a few cases), as well as one or more unique starting cards. You're trying to take down or at least survive a big bad, who has a fixed count deck of escalating phases, part composed of generic cards and part specific to the big bad. You lose if the big bad deals too much damage to the city you're trying to protect, or if all the PCs are defeated.

The big unique selling points are 1) you never shuffle anything but the turn order deck. So in theory, you can plan out what hands you'll be drawing. (in practice, gosh that's hard for my brain). 2) The aforementioned spell slots, to which you can prep spell cards that you can then cast on subsequent turns.

It's pretty fun, and the flavor is fairly original.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
There's definitely room for Battle Yahtzee in the market, but I've gotten too used to dueling games with far less randomization, and it feels like a lot of layers of noise atop just trying to make dice combinations. But then, for me a dice game isn't more than a diversion to play quickly between more involved games, and this definitely isn't that.

The fact that the sample "How to Play" takes place in a bar is probably fitting enough.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Merrill Grinch posted:

I didn't see anybody else post this in the last few pages, so just in case here's the trailer to the kickstarter of the game of the movie about the book with the magic! Harry Potter Miniatures Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1VtiDR0WkY

drat, I really needed money in March. At least it won't be a hard sell to my other half...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm holding out for the Kingdom Death crossover.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can someone tell me what the hell is the deal with the Shinobigami translation. Someone I know said it's been more than two years since the KS started and it's still being delayed to July (tentative release date was December)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
tl;dr layout/editing didn't get finished in time for December due to Christmas season stuff, final PDF should be available in 4-8 weeks.

quote:

Here's what we're going to see in the first few months of 2018:

* The finished electronic copy of the first book: We're in layout (stalled a bit at the end of the year, but back on it now). Should be finished and available for review before finalization within the next six weeks.

* Release of some of the stretch goals: We plan on eventually compiling all the extra scenarios into a supplement at a single link (DriveThruRPG), but until that's ready and done we'll be releasing them individually over the first few months to the backers.

* Preview of the second Shinobigami book: We'll have a preview of some of the content, including the new sub-clans, and a look at the three "Normal Human" character classes and what they bring to the table.

* Details of the limited edition Shinobigami book: For those who followed the Ryuutama campaign, you know that the Limited Edition was a faux-leather cover with gold trim, but essentially the internal book contents from start to end were the same. For Shinobigami, the book format is such that it didn't feel right to give the limited edition just a different cover: We're processing a second, separate layout for it, at a different book size (the text contents will be the same, but the book size will be a little bigger; this will allow us to play with the layout a little more, but take away from the modular nature of the small pocket-sized original paperback). More details on this soon.

* Backerkit information: We're going to go with Backerkit for pledge handling this time. We've had a lot of people approach us asking for an upgrade to the limited edition version of the game (sight unseen, which is extremely flattering; thank you): To ensure that we are able to handle the logistics of all these changes, we're bringing Backerkit into the picture to handle processing and extras. When the link is ready we'll be sending it out.

* Other extras: I've been keeping quiet on these until we had actual samples, but here's what we're prototyping in the background while we finished up the book content (while not a core part of the campaign, these are going to be offered as extras to those who want them, as well as be included by default in all Limited Edition orders):

- A Shinobigami Tenugui (traditional Japanese hand-towel/cloth) with the Shinobigami logo, with the "Velocity System" battle mat printed on it: Basically a cloth you can use to tie your book(s) together, then throw down on the table to serve as a large (larger than printing out the A4/Paper sized one) Velocity System sheet.

- Working with a metal coin manufacturer on a set of "Shinobigami coins", to be used as a token for each player to track if they had completed their Scene in the cycle (face up), or if they haven't had a turn yet (face down). Think of it as one of those stones/buttons at a Churrasco restaurant, where you leave it face up to bring "The Drama" instead of steak.

- Further Shinobigami scenarios written by as yet unannounced authors, including one that will appear simultaneously to the Western (in English) and Japan (in Japanese) fanbase.

More on these extras later once we have prototypes complete; for now we're focusing on closing the electronic book and moving forward with printing the physical book.

On that timeline, we expect to see the following:

1-2 months: Finalized electronic copy.

2-3 months later (summer, before convention season) Finalized version of the commercial/regular edition of Shinobigami printed and en route to the backers.

2 months after that: Delivery of the limited edition of the Shinobigami book.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Christmas season delay to... April?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
I am so tired, but this is finally going to happen.

https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/964348338253398021

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I got my shipping notification for Torg Eternity last night, and it should be in my hands by next Friday.

I never thought I'd see the day where Torg wasn't mechanically terrible, and where I'm anticipating it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Do you like really big starships ? Interested in Traveller ? Mongoose just launched their Element-class cruiser Kickstarter. It's going to be a big box with blueprints and stuff, possibly including naval campaigns.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990654819/traveller-rpg-element-class-cruisers-box-set

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jmzero posted:

I have been debating this one myself. I do wonder if its the best introduction to the game? I know that if we like it I will want to pony up for everything which appears to a few hundred bucks..

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

I have been debating this one myself. I do wonder if its the best introduction to the game? I know that if we like it I will want to pony up for everything which appears to a few hundred bucks..

Me too. It looks good but is it “Kickstarter All-in” good?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

eskimaux posted:

Me too. It looks good but is it “Kickstarter All-in” good?

I mean, I did last time, and I don't regret it. But I waste way too much money on tabletop Kickstarters, so grain of salt and all.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

malkav11 posted:

I mean, I did last time, and I don't regret it. But I waste way too much money on tabletop Kickstarters, so grain of salt and all.
It's just a huge risk for people new to the game. I think it's a great deal to be able to get a game and every expansion for a greatly reduced price (imagine FFG ever offering that deal), but when you don't even know if you'd like the base game, it's just a bigger gamble at that point.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
This may be the quickest I've backed a Kickstarter in years. A second edition of Summerland with new art and a new engine. Easily one of my favorite RPG books in my collection, the setting's something really cool. The rules were a bit too light, so hopefully the new one's a bit more substantial, but that sounds like it's the main reason for the new edition. It's a variant of Open D6, which seems straightforward enough at first glance.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 20, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, holy poo poo. Definitely checking that out when I get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It looks fascinating, but I'm a little iffy about what reads like an excellent storygame using a generic engine. Is there anywhere I can get a run-down on how the d6 engine works?