Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

feelix posted:

please make more posts about how you've read every item description or about the practicality of armor in the fantasy game to show how it is the other people, not you, that is gay

of course we're gay. That's how we have good opinions about fashion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I like the fallen knight helm... but it doesn't go with any of my outfits. Even my main Luck build Garbage Monster uses the plain old thief's hood instead.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

noether posted:

of course we're gay. That's how we have good opinions about fashion

I am the fashion lord

Dark Souls 2 is inexplicably thriving, guys. I haven't been invaded yet, outside of the bell tower, probably because of how fast I'm plowing through the game and the way it gives you that anti-invasion effect after a boss. But any time I drop a summon sign I get summoned in less than a minute. There are ghosts and petrified bodies everywhere. :negative: santier spear nerds are still going strong though.

Cuchulain posted:

I like the fallen knight helm... but it doesn't go with any of my outfits. Even my main Luck build Garbage Monster uses the plain old thief's hood instead.

Armor just straight up not working together is a huge issue with 3's armor. Even some sets don't work right together. The pants of favor, for example, have a completely different pattern to the rest of the armor which makes them stand out really badly. The whole set is also a different color yellow from any other yellow armor in the game so they can't match well at all. Meanwhile, if you want to wear blue or silver? You have your god drat choice of anything in the game pretty much, they all go together really well.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I did some iron keep and belfry sol invading around whatever the normal soul memory is to be there recently and it was refreshingly better than 90% of DS3 PvP. My very first invasion was against an Armorer Dennis cosplay and as soon as I saw him I accidentally shield bashed as he accidentally shielded, then I shoved my mastodon halberd through his face for a ~1100 damage 1 hit KO riposte. Return to Drangleic at the end of the month as well.

noether
May 1, 2017

At least in 3, most of the metallic armor sets are the same hue of silver. That poo poo bothered the hell out of me in the other games

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Don't say you wouldn't piss yourself facing half the creatures in ds3 universe

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I can't seem to rid myself of my firekeeper robe. Even though the Jailer's robe is better in almost every way I still think it looks inferior on my wizard dude.

If only the Dusk Crown headpiece didn't look like such an utter piece of crap. Why couldn't it be a faceless hood or a pointy wizard hat or something? Instead I look like some sort of retarded Asterix.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Soul Reaver posted:

I can't seem to rid myself of my firekeeper robe. Even though the Jailer's robe is better in almost every way I still think it looks inferior on my wizard dude.

If only the Dusk Crown headpiece didn't look like such an utter piece of crap. Why couldn't it be a faceless hood or a pointy wizard hat or something? Instead I look like some sort of retarded Asterix.

Stats don't matter, dress for maximum style.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like the fallen knight armour because the ragged cape looks cool when you're embered

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Soul Reaver posted:

Jailers robe is a big black bag with a flared base. No thanks. I will take the black dress, Cornyx, firekeeper, even Karla’s raggedy rear end poo poo over that.

Dusk crown is there to remind you that the price you pay for mighty sorcery is self respect.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
tell me about it

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

I am the fashion lord

Dark Souls 2 is inexplicably thriving, guys. I haven't been invaded yet, outside of the bell tower, probably because of how fast I'm plowing through the game and the way it gives you that anti-invasion effect after a boss. But any time I drop a summon sign I get summoned in less than a minute. There are ghosts and petrified bodies everywhere. :negative: santier spear nerds are still going strong though.

Armor just straight up not working together is a huge issue with 3's armor. Even some sets don't work right together. The pants of favor, for example, have a completely different pattern to the rest of the armor which makes them stand out really badly. The whole set is also a different color yellow from any other yellow armor in the game so they can't match well at all. Meanwhile, if you want to wear blue or silver? You have your god drat choice of anything in the game pretty much, they all go together really well.

skasion posted:

Jailers robe is a big black bag with a flared base. No thanks. I will take the black dress, Cornyx, firekeeper, even Karla’s raggedy rear end poo poo over that.

Dusk crown is there to remind you that the price you pay for mighty sorcery is self respect.

The true curse of the undead: unfashionable clothes, for eternity.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Thats why the only sorcery I do is lighting my great club on fire

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Maleh-Vor posted:

Storyteller staff is interesting. It's not great, and my Swamp Witch build is terrible at anything remotely resembling honor duels, but it's really fun for invasions, especially when you go up against a gank squad and have enemies you can hide behind or lure them towards.

It's pretty funny that Storyteller Staff inexplicably has the best poison/toxin effect in the game, basically for free, you don't even need to meet the stat requirements.

First time back to the game since before the infusion buff, I see that dark infusions are the new hot thing in PvP, how does the raw AR fare in PvE? I suspect that in NG defense is low enough that the split damage calculations still come out on top, but i'm not sure about NG+/++. I'd like this character to be as jack-of-all-trades as possible, so I know quality is the default, but dark looks like it might allow a wide variety of weapons, a bunch of spells, and fun crits as well.

Cuchulain posted:

Seath spinning in place is good practice for Dark Souls 2's "all enemys now wear rollerskates to avoid backstabs" design though.

I can forgive them for this because a) it's still pretty easy to backstab DS2 enemies, and b) it in turn led them to design Lothric Knights, who I think are one of the most well-designed enemies in the whole series. They're memorable as the first newbie brick wall, exemplify 'tough but fair', they're fun to fight and don't have any bullshit moves, they have the backstab fishing punish, they look great, and they drop it as sweet loot.

hampig fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 14, 2018

noether
May 1, 2017

fashion soooooouls

hampig posted:

First time back to the game since before the infusion buff, I see that dark infusions are the new hot thing in PvP, how does the raw AR fare in PvE? I suspect that in NG defense is low enough that the split damage calculations still come out on top, but i'm not sure about NG+/++. I'd like this character to be as jack-of-all-trades as possible, so I know quality is the default, but dark looks like it might allow a wide variety of weapons, a bunch of spells, and fun crits as well.

you can probably put chaos bed vestiges on there, so that'll solve a lot of problems. a dark build can also use chaos weapons effectively, and most monsters are weak to one of those damage types. I think there are a few that aren't though, and they can be a pain in the rear end even on NG

that face is giving me dysphoria :negative:

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

IronicDongz posted:

the pants being piss stained is actually the best thing about the set, because it gives it actual personality by making him a huge coward, rather than super bland edgelord nonsense

if fallen knight gear lore just made them out to actually be a bunch of badasses it would be so much worse

Item descriptions give everything a lot of personality. My favorite part of Solaire in DS1 was the fact that he painted the suns on his armor himself. I even have a small Solaire sun bumper sticker on my car because I love how much depth that little detail added to the character. Solaire really likes suns, you guys.

Anyways, onto fashion:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What, we doing fashion now?

Here's my beautiful lance princess. Dancer's armour might be legit my favourite piece of torso gear in the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I really really wish you could just wear the dancer’s veil without the stupid rear end mask

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Sunless Veil is a close second.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

skasion posted:

I really really wish you could just wear the dancer’s veil without the stupid rear end mask

Or the other way around.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

IronicDongz posted:

fallen knight is absolutely the #1 scrub magnet of armor sets. fallen knight+irithyll straight sword or dark sword+grass crest shield or shield of want=someone who absolutely has no idea what spacing is and probably thinks you're hacking or lagging badly if you rollcatch them
but cloth garments are already(always) worn underneath metal armor. either you're telling me fallen knights wear no clothes under their armor and have metal plates directly rubbing against their skin, which is stupid and awful, or you're telling me fallen knights wear clothes, then a full set of metal armor, and then another layer of fabric on half their chest, and their whole head and back. in a hot, wet swamp.

they're gonna die of fuckin heatstroke before they even get a chance to get parried and murdered by the twink that just invaded them with a hornet ring and dragonslayer axe

Lmao what is this? Have you looked at smoughs set? Or almost any of the other armour sets? This is one of the stupidest posts I’ve ever seen in this thread

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
smough's set is fine because he's a huge, super unnaturally powerful dude who wants to intimidate his enemies. I cannot buy into having clothing draped on top of plate armor, it's just dumb

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i mean everyone in dark souls is a zombie anyways

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

smough's set is fine because he's a huge, super unnaturally powerful dude who wants to intimidate his enemies. I cannot buy into having clothing draped on top of plate armor, it's just dumb

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surcoat
?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabard
?

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 14, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

see also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigandine
?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 14, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

anyway this argument is kind of moot since the implication is "i find this armor unrealistic" in a game where wooden boxes can grow arms and legs and eat you

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

IronicDongz posted:

So you’re willing to concede he’s unnatural, ie something not existent in the real world(the physics behind smoughs armour make no sense) but then cant get past draping cloth over plate lol

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
It's because the fallen knight set is popular and Smough's is not

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

“I have literally never seen or heard of ceremonial armour and or tabards, brigandines, or any of the historical examples of this being an actual real life thing”

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Also if he's a coward running away in piss stained pants, he probably didn't want people to recognize his very distinct and obvious armor so he put a cloak on to hide. Because he's not good enough to run around a swamp naked punching crabs.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
The best part about wearing fallen knights set with irithyll straight sword and grass crest shield in the swamp is discovering how many twinks are actually bad at this game. Youtuber pinco even made an invasion character with his own lore based around the stereotype that that loadout = bad player

noether
May 1, 2017

feelix posted:

It's because the fallen knight set is popular and Smough's is not

Controversial opinion: smough's armor also looks like poo poo and the people who wear it are usually total chuds
Like it's a fun boss design, but it looks awful on players

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Some craaaazy gatekeeping going on in this thread lmao

Don't worry guys. To me, you're still the coolest nerds of them all and your video game choices are objectively superior mkay?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Gentlemen, there will be no elitism here, this is the Dark Souls thread!

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
https://my.mixtape.moe/rofeac.mp4

I asked on steam and the guys summon said hes got a "wifi error"

really interesting timing!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I always approve of invaders repping the giant radical weapons instead of nerds spamming twinblades or whatever cheese meta is popular.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I always approve of invaders repping the giant radical weapons instead of nerds spamming twinblades or whatever cheese meta is popular.

Yeah theyre a lot of fun to use.

I think its so lovely when people try to 2 or 3 v1 me and DC after I kill the phantoms. Oh so you'll only fight if you have a 1 or 2 man advantage? okay.

EDIT: I love this hammer lol

https://my.mixtape.moe/dgvhda.mp4

g0t_hats fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 15, 2018

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

g0t_hats posted:

I think its so lovely when people try to 2 or 3 v1 me and DC after I kill the phantoms. Oh so you'll only fight if you have a 1 or 2 man advantage? okay.

It's very important to not die in dark souls three

noether
May 1, 2017

Maleh-Vor posted:

Gentlemen, there will be no elitism here, this is the Dark Souls thread!

only nameless knights are valid uwu

g0t_hats posted:

honestly 90% of the appeal to invasions is watching the emotional rollercoaster co-op groups go through. they start off cocky as gently caress and turn into giant cowards when the numbers advantage evens out.

or, they start off loving petrified and refuse to move at all, which is also hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)

Roasted