Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Interesting stuff, a memo was just unearthed containing the original non-Roddenberry TNG pitch from 1986. It would have involved a ship called the USS Odyssey fighting in a new Klingon war, an amputee first officer, a Klingon exchange officer serving on board, and a captain who dies in the pilot and lives on as a hologram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FolLXCKtHeTvbkGnJ5dyjmH60KKQb9HE/view

The idea of the Romulans having enough of that peace crap and going guerrilla to bring the war back is a fascinating one and gently caress you Gene for not letting it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Interesting stuff, a memo was just unearthed containing the original non-Roddenberry TNG pitch from 1986. It would have involved a ship called the USS Odyssey fighting in a new Klingon war, an amputee first officer, a Klingon exchange officer serving on board, and a captain who dies in the pilot and lives on as a hologram.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't..hate it?

LOL at Lt Brick tho. And the "painfully beautiful" cadet. :rolleyes:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It sounds incredibly generic.

For all the Gene literal insanity, I'm glad he got to start TNG off and shape it into a wonderful beige post-scarcity nonmilitarised utopia of ideals that other writers could then fix into having real stories a few seasons later.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The double-lip in Saru's makeup weirds me out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

The double-lip in Saru's makeup weirds me out.

Same but klingon penis nostrils

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

That’s interesting, but I don’t get the idea of having two Vulcans as main characters

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The “young Vulcan who makes Spock look like a jock” character concept goes back to Phase II. Not sure why they’d double that up with the captain though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I love the that the female characters have to be described in terms of physical attractiveness, but there's a slot for some :shrug: alien they can't bother to come up with any details for.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

That’s interesting, but I don’t get the idea of having two Vulcans as main characters

Because Vulcans = Star Trek, until TNG deliberately went out of their way to distance themselves from the TOS elements.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

After The War posted:

I love the that the female characters have to be described in terms of physical attractiveness, but there's a slot for some :shrug: alien they can't bother to come up with any details for.

Now would be a great time to dig up Roddenberry's description of Teri Hatcher's character from Outrageous Okona.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Delsaber posted:

Now would be a great time to dig up Roddenberry's description of Teri Hatcher's character from Outrageous Okona.

Is it just "they're real and they're spectacular" repeated over and over again?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

PLACEHOLDER ALIEN TBD

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

WampaLord posted:

Is it just "they're real and they're spectacular" repeated over and over again?

From the script:

Worf and TWO SECURITY MEN bracket the very feminine and graciously endowed Transporter Commander B.G. Robinson. Everything she has two of are perfectly matched, coordinated, and move with a wonderful grace that is called "woman."

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Zesty posted:

From the script:

Worf and TWO SECURITY MEN bracket the very feminine and graciously endowed Transporter Commander B.G. Robinson. Everything she has two of are perfectly matched, coordinated, and move with a wonderful grace that is called "woman."

Please tell me you made that up :roflolmao:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Zesty posted:

Everything she has two of are perfectly matched, coordinated, and move with a wonderful grace that is called "woman."

"Commander, those are some perfectly matched, coordinated, and graceful kidneys you have there."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Epicurius posted:

"Commander, those are some perfectly matched, coordinated, and graceful kidneys you have there."

loving space harassment

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Epicurius posted:

And that's why Geordi isn't able to get non-holographic dates.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Neelix walks onto the Vidian ship sporting two perfectly matched, coordinated, graceful lungs.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sir Lemming posted:

Neelix walks onto the Vidian ship sporting two perfectly matched, coordinated, graceful lungs.

moves with a wonderful grace that is called "Neelix."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FabioClone posted:

moves with a wonderful grace that is called "Neelix."

just imagine I posted NeexlixDance.gif again here

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Please tell me you made that up :roflolmao:

Oh, it's real.

"She has the natural walk of a striptease queen."

Guess which TNG character this was meant to be.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Oh, it's real.

Judging by what's on screen, Beverly.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sir Lemming posted:

…which leaves no room for his heart, killing him instantly.

Co-Producer
WENDY NEUSS

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Oh, it's real.

Troi

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It's obviously Pulaski.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zesty posted:

From the script:

That's not Gene though, is it? I have a hard time believing Gene could be bothered to write a sentence of screenplay in 1988.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
So wait a minute here... there's a new Klingon war and the Not Enterprise is fighting in it with Captain Rimmer in charge. Got it. But... there's a Klingon exchange officer on the bridge, too?

Well, that makes sense, what with all the commanders we borrowed from the Japanese Navy during WWII. They helped us out a lot on the bridges of our ships as we worked to destroy their countrymen's hopes of pacific domination.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No, there was a Klingon war, they deliver the peace treaty in the first episode and part of it involves exchange officers.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Something that's bothering me is how the federation ships in Discovery have such patchwork-looking hulls. Why are the individual plates such varying colors? Shouldn't they all be the same general duterium alloy or whatever?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Something that's bothering me is how the federation ships in Discovery have such patchwork-looking hulls. Why are the individual plates such varying colors? Shouldn't they all be the same general duterium alloy or whatever?

It reminds me of the Thermal Protection System on the Space Shuttles, for what that's worth:

If part of the hull gets damaged from an attack or a quantum filament or whatever, they're just going to patch up the parts that they need to. And those parts will be newer than the surrounding parts.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Cythereal posted:

Oh, it's real.

Riker. You can tell by the way he swings his legs over things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's called aztecing, after square aztec patterns, and it's common in sci-fi ships with smooth sections of hull because it adds detail and keeps them from being big expanses of blank, without needing greebles. The effect was actually invented and named by TMP when designing the refit Enterprise.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 14, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Welcome to the eternal debate: how much Aztec is too much?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Like always, TMP is juuuuuust right.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Let's ask Olmec.

Olmec: I'm Incan you dipshit

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I mean I've seen it before, but good lord Discovery ships look like a quilt, as if they were thrown together in a scrapyard

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

If you're Spanish, any.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just watched season finale of DS9 season 1.

It's good but drat is the attempted assassination scene so poorly staged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

It's called aztecing, after square aztec patterns, and it's common in sci-fi ships with smooth sections of hull because it adds detail and keeps them from being big expanses of blank, without needing greebles. The effect was actually invented and named by TMP when designing the refit Enterprise.

I don't get the hate for smooth sections of hull