Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe he lives in one those those backwards countries where they dont let you get an r1 as a first bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Why are you so bent on getting something godawful? The bikes you're asking about are like the kids that get left over when people are done picking teams.

Haha, like I said, windowshopping cheap poo poo.

For a purchase likely to ever actually happen my heart's still set on a W800*, but those prices just keep going up up up. The second I get real steady work I'll be down the dealership filling out credit forms, but until then browsing cheap stuff makes me feel better about my circumstances. Like I'm almost certainly not going to buy any of this crap, but I could, given just a few good months, and that makes me feel better than obsessing over things I can't have.

*or just about any UJM, which I've been lusting after since I first thought bikes were cool, but the good ones start at about the same prices, £6k and up.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 14, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd strongly urge you to ride a W800 before getting convinced you want one. I've had several people remark to me that they're much heavier and shittier than you would expect; I have no such expectations so it was no surprise to me that they're super heavy, the engine is extremely underwhelming and they handle like a bag of cement.

If you want the look of an old british bike but without the pain, a bonneville is a much better option.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll take that advice. I did go check one out in person a while back and they're a bit smaller than I was expecting, so I would want to get a sense of the handling before buying.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I sold my wr250 recently and am looking to get a more road oriented bike for commuting and fun. I am moving this spring and it will increase my work commute to 50 miles round trip with a mix city/freeway or city and twisties on nice days. I’m looking for something with an upright riding position and ABS.

As far as riding history goes, I’ve been riding since 2009. A 2007 sv650 was my sole transportation for years. I sold that three years ago for the wr and fell in love with dirt. As a result, I bought a ktm 200 exc and it is likely the most fun bike ever made. It completely ruined the wr. Having so much more power with so much less weight, a hydro clutch, and dialed suspension makes it the best wood weapon. Anyway, I digress.

Here’s the short list:
2017 FZ07 – There are good deals right now for $6500. Seems like the most rational decision of the bunch with good ergos, abs, a great engine with usable power, and 50+ mpg. However, it ugly.
2017 FZ09 – Why does this bike have to only be 1000 more? It has way more power than I, or really anyone, need. But it has TC, ABS, slipper clutch. It is more comfortable and looks better than the 07. $7500
2017 XSR900 – Same bike as the fz09, but looks way better. 8k
2014 Street Triple R – ABS, super smooth engine, brembo brakes, good suspension but will have slightly higher cost of maintenance. 7000-7500

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: if you live in a dense urban environment and spend most of your time on city streets rather than highways and country roads, you may want the FZ-07 over the FZ-09. The 07 is lighter and more fun on city streets, whereas the 09 is an insane lunatic that has contempt for your boring survival instincts. Until I get on the highway (and even then, sometimes) I spend a lot of time just holding the FZ-09 back. It is violent and wants to be stupid. It's not meant for city streets; it just feels wasted until you can really use it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ant mouth posted:

I sold my wr250 recently and am looking to get a more road oriented bike for commuting and fun. I am moving this spring and it will increase my work commute to 50 miles round trip with a mix city/freeway or city and twisties on nice days. I’m looking for something with an upright riding position and ABS.

As far as riding history goes, I’ve been riding since 2009. A 2007 sv650 was my sole transportation for years. I sold that three years ago for the wr and fell in love with dirt. As a result, I bought a ktm 200 exc and it is likely the most fun bike ever made. It completely ruined the wr. Having so much more power with so much less weight, a hydro clutch, and dialed suspension makes it the best wood weapon. Anyway, I digress.

Here’s the short list:
2017 FZ07 – There are good deals right now for $6500. Seems like the most rational decision of the bunch with good ergos, abs, a great engine with usable power, and 50+ mpg. However, it ugly.
2017 FZ09 – Why does this bike have to only be 1000 more? It has way more power than I, or really anyone, need. But it has TC, ABS, slipper clutch. It is more comfortable and looks better than the 07. $7500
2014 Street Triple R – ABS, super smooth engine, brembo brakes, good suspension but will have slightly higher cost of maintenance. 7000-7500

commuted on the FZ07 through LA rush hour traffic for a year, it does that okay. Really easy to u-turn within your lane and splitting isn't much of a problem. Knocked mirrors with trucks a few times before learning to tuck them in a bit.

There's no easily accessible helmet lock which is a pain if you like to leave it on the bike sometimes. Also no center stand. 25 miles one way will not be a problem on it but it gets a little stiff riding 50 miles at a time before taking a break. Your feet might go numb

The bike is ugly from most angles and I didn't really like the exhaust note. The suspension is bouncy at high speeds. It is pretty fast though. I haven't had the chance to try one with abs but I felt like the balance was good enough not to need it. locked wheels more than a few times emergency braking

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, the 09 is great on the highway. The stock seat isn't super comfy, but hey believe it or not it's not a Goldwing. The thing can accelerate stupidly at basically and speed and in any gear. It's like some sort of weird magic. I could be going 20 in 9th gear and just twist the throttle and AAAAAAAAAAAAA. It's fun on the track too. At the track I rode, I could basically just keep it in one gear the whole time, which I did for a couple of laps to just mess around with improving my lines.

Yeah it's not super pretty, but if I wanted a super pretty bike that sounds great I would have gotten an Indian Scout and I'd probably be bored.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

ant mouth posted:

Here’s the short list:

ZRX1200r? Why do you have to pick brand brand new bikes?

captainOrbital posted:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: if you live in a dense urban environment and spend most of your time on city streets rather than highways and country roads, you may want the FZ-07 over the FZ-09. The 07 is lighter and more fun on city streets, whereas the 09 is an insane lunatic that has contempt for your boring survival instincts. Until I get on the highway (and even then, sometimes) I spend a lot of time just holding the FZ-09 back. It is violent and wants to be stupid. It's not meant for city streets; it just feels wasted until you can really use it.

I loath riding the 09 so much for this reason. It's just a ball of hateful terror that puts me off of faster bikes every time I ride it. I can't imagine living with one.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

I'm up in Portland, OR and fortunately have a counter commute to all the traffic coming into the city and some of the more popular local carving roads (Skyline, McNamee, Rocky Point, for those familiar) between my home and work. Having power on hand everywhere is super appealing, it's why I love my ktm so much. But drawing from my love of that 2t kick for an on road world seems... both necessary and destructive. Right now, I'm leaning more towards the 09 due to the ergos and amount of bike you get for the money.

Coy, I don't have to go new new, but the used market is pretty inflated so it's a small leap.

ant mouth fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 14, 2018

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yessss.

You can be an rear end in a top hat all the time. I live in Chicago and my commute is on city streets where the speed limit is 30 and there are many cross streets with people waiting to pull out at you or turn left across your bow. I changed out my bars for a more hunched-over sporty feel, but yeah the bike overall feels bigger than the 07, and yeah. At this point I'm not sure that I would want something faster.

HAHA who am I kidding there is a Tuono Factory in my future.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

ant mouth posted:

Here’s the short list:

Have you ridden them all? I was all set on an FZ-09 until I rode the Street Triple R. I guess the FZs have ABS now, but the new headlight on the FZ is trash and I don't think they're as comfortable as the Triumph. Also, the Triumph is a lot less common and therefore cooler. It still wants to go too fast, but it doesn't goad you into doing wheelies from every light, which might be good or bad.

I got my 2014 R for $6k out of Salem, for 7500 I think I'd be looking at Speed Triples instead. As far as I can tell, Triumph maintenance isn't any worse than anything else I've owned.

You're right on used FZ pricing around here, I think I'd go new instead of buying some dude's "lightly worn" wheelie machine.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I haven't been able to test ride a str yet. I was able to butt test one and liked it My pure assumption is that it is the most refined of the bunch and I won't have to upgrade anything about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

ZRX1200r? Why do you have to pick brand brand new bikes?

I loath riding the 09 so much for this reason. It's just a ball of hateful terror that puts me off of faster bikes every time I ride it. I can't imagine living with one.

It feels terrifying cause the engine is like a balls-out sports bike while the suspension is like an sv650.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It depends on the year; they've been improving the suspension and fueling since the first iteration when everyone complained.

Mine has aftermarket suspension and it feels super solid. Not that it isn't terrifying.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

E: Re FZ 09 chat. I have test ridden Fz09 and striple. I liked 09's ergos way more, but they are pretty comparable bikes. Triumph will cost you more and parts might take a while. Also the whistle thing in striple sounds like rear end. I ended up getting Brutale 800, which is just as unhinged as fz09, and regretted it due to warranty-related Italian reasons. If I could go back in time, I would get XSR900.

A MIRACLE posted:

I was quoted 70 bux for the 2014 here in LA, it has zero miles. I’m a 29 year old male with a clean driving record. My Fz was higher for sure but don’t remember

:qq: I am also in CA. My combined insurance for 3 bikes is about $3k. Yeah.

pokie fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 14, 2018

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

It feels terrifying cause the engine is like a balls-out sports bike while the suspension is like an sv650.

Nah, this one has full suspension upgraded and tuned. I hate it because it's a twitchy bitch that's heavy and feels unsure in the corners. I feel like im gonna drop it or it's gonna drop me at every moment, even in B mode. But my buddy has 25+k on it and commutes 120 miles daily on it and likes it.

He still yearns for my DR650 and constantly regrets getting the FZ over a cheap DR. :q:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The Tracer 900 has the FZ-09 engine, right? What does it do differently with tuning, suspension, electronics, anything? I know it has a windscreen and that it's a little taller.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The FZ’s are really really fun and I’m considering buying another one (sold my first for a better two up bike for my spouse and I) when I move this summer. There is an SP model coming ojt soon that has upgraded suspension.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Nah, this one has full suspension upgraded and tuned. I hate it because it's a twitchy bitch that's heavy and feels unsure in the corners. I feel like im gonna drop it or it's gonna drop me at every moment, even in B mode. But my buddy has 25+k on it and commutes 120 miles daily on it and likes it.

He still yearns for my DR650 and constantly regrets getting the FZ over a cheap DR. :q:

That sounds more like totally wrong spring rates for your weight or a setup really far from what you prefer. I've gotten the same sensation of always being on the verge of crashing with bikes that have springs rated for fat bastards installed, it feels like you can't be aggressive in the corners because both wheels constantly feel like they're gonna break loose.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

pun pundit posted:

The Tracer 900 has the FZ-09 engine, right? What does it do differently with tuning, suspension, electronics, anything? I know it has a windscreen and that it's a little taller.

Engine tuning is pretty much identical as are suspension components, at least the newer FZs. Big differences are slight modified rake/trail and heavier subframe on the FJ, plus all of the touring bits.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

Also the whistle thing in striple sounds like rear end.

I must be weird, I think it sounds cool.

I took my SV650 out last weekend for the first time in a while, and neither of them sound as good as a fast-revving twin. Maybe the 07 is the real answer. I think they’re doing a XSR700 now?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

That sounds more like totally wrong spring rates for your weight or a setup really far from what you prefer. I've gotten the same sensation of always being on the verge of crashing with bikes that have springs rated for fat bastards installed, it feels like you can't be aggressive in the corners because both wheels constantly feel like they're gonna break loose.

This is possible. It's set up really stiff for corner carving, and the other rider probably weighs at least 40lbs more? It's still top heavy as all get out.

I'm also ruined by easy going thumpers in easy going dirtbike frames that weigh 100lbs less.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Fats posted:

I must be weird, I think it sounds cool.

I took my SV650 out last weekend for the first time in a while, and neither of them sound as good as a fast-revving twin. Maybe the 07 is the real answer. I think they’re doing a XSR700 now?

Yeah, this is the first year the xsr700 came stateside and I'd love to have one. It's one of the best looking production bikes out right now but comes with a 8500 price tag. That is one hell of a premium for a different trim package than a 6500 fz07.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ant mouth posted:

Yeah, this is the first year the xsr700 came stateside and I'd love to have one. It's one of the best looking production bikes out right now but comes with a 8500 price tag. That is one hell of a premium for a different trim package than a 6500 fz07.

Yamaha trying to sell "crossplane concept" as a feature with a 270* paralell twin... loving. shameful. First of all, Triumph has been using that for years, secondly, I would think the 180* offset would better support the pulse balance.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

This is possible. It's set up really stiff for corner carving, and the other rider probably weighs at least 40lbs more? It's still top heavy as all get out.

I'm also ruined by easy going thumpers in easy going dirtbike frames that weigh 100lbs less.

The :aaa: thing for me was discovering that a well setup sportbike for the road has cornering behaviour pretty much like the aforementioned easy going enduros. It was a revalation when I realised that I haven't been riding them wrong, they're just almost all set up so badly that you can't even recreate the sensations you feel on a slower bike so as to begin to understand the similarities.

Putting suspension adjusters on mass-produced bikes is simultaneously an awesome and terrible thing manufacturers are responsible for.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It was last page but the older viragos are not bad, just weird.

They are old Yamaha’s, which means the electrics are garbage, but they at least have CDI in the form of YICS. They also stand up rather than squat down when you get on the gas, due to the way the driveshaft mates to the hub, leading to hilarious tire spins in a straight line (and also sometimes not in a straight line). The 500 probably won’t have that problem, the 750 just barely exhibited it on its bias ply tires.

They’re reliable though, and they’re v-twins, which automatically makes them at least somewhat cool.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I disagree on the reliability but it might be because all the viragos I see are jdm imports that are half hosed by the time they get here.

Also pretty much all bikes get taller when you get on the gas, or at least they're supposed to :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol no virago will ever wheelie.

Also when I say reliable, I mean “will generally keep running”. The old yamaha electrics leave every other part of that equation up in the air.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I will admit that the two I've had to deal with personally both had electrical problems, but I've also seen one shear a crank pin and another put a hole in a piston for seemingly no reason.

And I don't mean wheelies, I mean basically every bike naturally extends the rear suspension under acceleration. Yeah, in the olden days there were some opium-dream suspension designs that probably don't do this but everything made from like 1980-onwards is explicitly designed to take advantage of this effect; it's basically impossible to have a good cornering bike if it doesn't rise up on it's haunches when you get on the throttle.

If you already know all this and we're talking around eachother, I apologise.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I will admit that the two I've had to deal with personally both had electrical problems, but I've also seen one shear a crank pin and another put a hole in a piston for seemingly no reason.

:catstare:

These are the kind of specific reliability comments I was looking for earlier. I'd heard about the dodgy RRs, but this is another level.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Has anyone ridden both the pregen Ninja and the 300? With the 400 out, dealers are selling new 300's for less than $3.5k - cheaper than used ones on CL. Pretty tempting, seems like I could get ABS, better highway manners, and FI for $2k out of pocket after trading/selling my pregen - and I still won't feel too bad about keeping it in the street. Downsides would be a bit more aggressive riding position and still wishing I got the 400.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 15, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

Has anyone ridden both the pregen Ninja and the 300? With the 400 out, dealers are selling new 300's for less than $3.5k - cheaper than used ones on CL. Pretty tempting, seems like I could get ABS, better highway manners, and FI for $2k out of pocket after trading/selling my pregen - and I still won't feel too bad about keeping it in the street. Downsides would be a bit more aggressive riding position and still wishing I got the 400.

The riding position is pretty much the same, it isn't like an actual sport bike. The main benefit besides the bigger engine is the wheel/tyre sizes, geometry and much better suspension. The wheel stuff alone is a big deal cause it gives you sooo many better tyre options.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renaissance Robot posted:

Any specific gripes?

I'm pretty much just windowshopping cheap standards/cruisers at the minute, and trying to consider stuff I normally wouldn't; there's little chance I'd actually pull the trigger on anything, but basically all I'm looking for is a reasonably reliable hack that can carry a passenger without trouble, ideally with no hidden nuisances like "changing the oil filter requires removing the exhaust headers". Excitement/joyriding potential is a low priority right now.

Yes. I was a motorcycle mechanic. Every spring they would arrive in droves. And every spring they would leave just as broken as they came on trailers or in boxes.

All sorts of poo poo breaks on them, so nothing in particular, just everything in general. Particularly the starter clutch on all models. Less-so on the 250, but then again I did see one leave the shop with a brand new starter and sprag and come back destroyed a 6 weeks later.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ultimately they're a generic v-twin cruiser with so many visually and mechanically similar alternatives there's no real reason to buy one when you can buy a Honda or Vulcan or whatever and know you aren't rolling the dice.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Slavvy posted:

Holy poo poo this exactly describes the way my SV feels. I loving love the bike but even after over a year of riding it I still never feel planted in corners. Betting spring rates are huge, especially considering it has every bolt on go fast part a bro could ask for (Ohlins rear, emulators in front, annoyingly loud m4 exhaust, pc3, and a quick shifter).

Any way I can tell what the spring rate is by looking at it? I may investigate the rear to see if it's printed somewhere. Fronts I have no clue and don't really want to pull the springs if I don't have replacements ready to go in.

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 16, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never seen front springs with anything written on them so you might be poo poo out of luck but having said that it's easy to pop a cap off and pull one out to see, you just need to get the front wheel in the air. The rear spring will definitely have an ohlins number on it which should be illuminating.

Have you tried getting a basic setting with your preload? The springs might be ok and just have really jacked preload. Damping clickers all turned super stiff can have a similar effect, I've had multiple people tell me they set their poo poo hard cause they're a hard rider and then ask me why their bike feels like it's always on the verge of crashing. It's definitely something PO's do and shilling out for bling suspension just means they have money, not brains.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yamaha cruisers in general are badly designed. It disappoints me because I want to like Yamaha, given their racing history. I've seen oil pump gears blown on XV1600s, countless old XV750s with hosed up starter gears, the modern shaft drive models require you to remove the final drive and driveshaft to change the rear wheel, some of them require you to pull the exhaust to change the oil. Many of them have oil level sensors instead of oil pressure sensors which is really weird. The 250 has no oil warning indicator of any kind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IMO Kawasaki make the best metric cruisers. Suzuki's handle like poo poo, crap refinement. Honda's are hideous to work on as always, underwhelming everything else. Yamaha as above.

The oil level instead of pressure is a Yamaha thing, r1 and r6 have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

IMO Kawasaki make the best metric cruisers. Suzuki's handle like poo poo, crap refinement. Honda's are hideous to work on as always, underwhelming everything else. Yamaha as above.

The oil level instead of pressure is a Yamaha thing, r1 and r6 have them.

1999 Honda Shadow Aero had this carbuncle of carb boot tubes that interconnected and connected to a tube that also formed the spine of the frame, went down below the seat and connected to a 2 part panel and canister filter that drafted downward. :smugjones:

For reference, here is the boot that connects the 2 carbs to the frame tube

At least Kuryakyn came along and made an aftermarket "ram" intake like a normal bike and eliminated the rube goldberg thing Honda doofed up on.

This is just 1 example of Honda sumo dumbassery. I'm sure others could point out at least 10 on every metric cruiser twin they've made.