Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I enjoy the Palaces but sometimes they do feel a bit long. I have an SP adhesive on Joker now though so hopefully that'll help (although I paid 100k for it :qq:)

I do prefer Palaces to the randomly generated dungeons in P3/P4, but I do think Mementos fixes a lot about the whole randomly generated dungeon idea with a few nice QOL things. I don't mind going in to complete Mishima requests because it makes it quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

ThomasPaine posted:

I think it's only bosses you can restart the battle with outside of safe mode

Confirming it's just bosses on normal difficulty level.

The 3rd level I got hit with an ambush and the guy hit me with a good rebellion attack and I lost like 45 minutes of play time because I am terrible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So just out of curiosity, I am remembering back to what I watched of the stream and I'm curious if this is accurate in differences between Safe mode and, say, normal (or maybe hard):

Less exp from fights
Less money from fights
SP Adhesive only gives SP back at the start of the fight (because I get 7 back per turn and good god that's way more than I need) - I'm hazy on this one because it's hard to track individual fights when you're only paying half attention at best.

Also regarding palace length, I suppose part of the reason for their length is that you're clearly intended to not do them in one night, but for ~optimal gameplay~ you sort of need to. It's a hard thing to balance between. The main problem with their length, for me, is how repetitive they are. Ok you solved this puzzle, now solve it five more times. Good job, you can go to the next part now!

Zore posted:

No, SP Adhesive gives SP per turn on every difficulty.

That's insane. I guess the trade-off is that on harder difficulties you need to worry about statuses more so you don't necessarily want to be using that slot on SP regen?

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 12, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

IcePhoenix posted:

So just out of curiosity, I am remembering back to what I watched of the stream and I'm curious if this is accurate in differences between Safe mode and, say, normal (or maybe hard):

Less exp from fights
Less money from fights
SP Adhesive only gives SP back at the start of the fight (because I get 7 back per turn and good god that's way more than I need) - I'm hazy on this one because it's hard to track individual fights when you're only paying half attention at best.

No, SP Adhesive gives SP per turn on every difficulty.

This is what Safe Mode does

quote:

Defeat in battle does not result in a game over. Even if you die, you will be given the option of retrying.
You deal much more damage in combat.
Enemies deal much less damage in combat.
Enemies take longer to spot you outside of combat.
The alert meter increases at a much reduced rate if you're spotted by enemies outside of battle.
Experience points gained from battle increase dramatically.
Money gained from battle increases dramatically.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Just finished the game last night. This was my first entry in the Persona/SMT series, and I have to say this has been utterly unlike any other game I've played. The soundtrack was balls-out amazing, and if I hadn't just played Nier:Automata immediately before P5, I would have slapped you if you told me there could be a better soundtrack to a game. As it is, I can only say that N:A and P5 both have brilliant soundtracks that excel in different ways, though I will concede that P5's soundtrack fits the tone of the game better than any other game's score, and utterly subverts my expectations of what a "game soundtrack" should sound like.

This game oozes style in a way that is just so satisfying. It also makes me think of watching Great Teacher Onizuka fifteen years ago when I was a freshman in college. I wonder if this game would hit the same notes for someone with no exposure to anime though.

Also, the giant dick monsters in the last phase of the game (appropriately named "Throbbing King of Desires" if you don't have the persona) were hilarious. Very NSFW image link.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Persona 3 and 4 both also have freaking amazing soundtracks. They always take some weird niche sound and then utterly nail it. But man is it gonna be hard to go back and play either one after knowing the decent dungeons of 5.

Particularly 3. At least 4 broke up the levels a little bit. I think tartarus from 3 is gonna be a complete no go for me from now on. You cant go home again.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

Did you get Media on Mona before fighting him? That makes all the difference IMO

Ya I didn't have that spell, I was underleveled too for that fight.

wintermuteCF posted:

This game oozes style in a way that is just so satisfying. It also makes me think of watching Great Teacher Onizuka fifteen years ago when I was a freshman in college. I wonder if this game would hit the same notes for someone with no exposure to anime though.

I don't think you need to be an anime fan to appreciate how stylish p5 is. It's not really the anime art style that stands out but the menu's, the loading screens, any transition screen, battle, post battle and much more. All of that combined with the music is an overloard style.

I am at the boss fight of the 5th palace and man the puzzles before the treasure were really annoying(airlocks).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
October 26th was a big day.

Sojiro is a good dude.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jesus Christ, September is a slog.

At least tomorrow night I can actually play the game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I might be super dumb but is there a way to let spoken dialogue just play out? I'd rather just sit back and watch the gang of child criminals talk than push x every three seconds.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Go to settings and there should be a toggle for Auto-Advance.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think there's a toggle while dialogue is playing. I've had auto-advance switched on since I started my playthrough. Maybe it's in settings though.

Nathilus posted:

Persona 3 and 4 both also have freaking amazing soundtracks. They always take some weird niche sound and then utterly nail it. But man is it gonna be hard to go back and play either one after knowing the decent dungeons of 5.

Particularly 3. At least 4 broke up the levels a little bit. I think tartarus from 3 is gonna be a complete no go for me from now on. You cant go home again.
Tartarus is ok, I'm going through P3P on NG+ right now and just breezing through it. The only problem is sometimes getting drops for Elizabeth's requests, or getting the rare Shadows to appear.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
I always really liked tartarus but I'm a fan of randomized dungeon crawlers in general so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Jesus Christ, September is a slog.

At least tomorrow night I can actually play the game.

Ya I just ended September and it is just a visual novel like someone said.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ulio posted:

Ya I just ended September and it is just a visual novel like someone said.

I know at some point the game just starts skipping days to get to the end but I don't quite know when that is, but hopefully I get at least most of October and November without any more 17 day railroads so I can finish the confidants. I was mostly happy with where I am until that happened.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It doesn't skip days until the epilogue, after the last dungeon. You have a ways to go.

I liked the whole game but they could have cut out about an entire third of the penultimate dungeon without losing much. It really overstays its welcome.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Digirat posted:

I liked the whole game but they could have cut out about an entire third of the penultimate dungeon without losing much. It really overstays its welcome.

Footage of design session for the second to last dungeon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQwx1EolD8

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I have few questions. Do you get same amount of exp if you killed the shadow as you would if you took money, items or captured it? I don't believe this is explained either but using a fire spell on a burned target does a crit, not sure if true but I read it somewhere? Is the repel's reflected damage same as the damage the enemy would have done or does it scale off your atk/magic? Is there aoe equivalent spell to the physical attack that can crit?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

I have few questions. Do you get same amount of exp if you killed the shadow as you would if you took money, items or captured it? I don't believe this is explained either but using a fire spell on a burned target does a crit, not sure if true but I read it somewhere? Is the repel's reflected damage same as the damage the enemy would have done or does it scale off your atk/magic? Is there aoe equivalent spell to the physical attack that can crit?

You get the same amount of exp whatever you do to get rid of an individual shadow, but it may end up being less because you only dealt with part of the group.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Finishing a battle with a negotiation means you lose out on the yen you would have gotten from the battle. The 'best' result if you're going for negotiation is to kill all other enemies so you still get their exp/money. Finishing with an All-Out-Attack gets you bonus rewards.

Technical damage is what you're referring to. For instance, burned enemies take bonus damage from Wind attacks, or Nuclear damage deals bonus damage to Burned/Frozen/Shocked enemies. They're most notable in Maniac difficulty, since Technical damage is increased.

There isn't a direct equivalent of AoE Lucky/Miracle Punch, no. Several AoE attacks hit multiple times, which can 'raise' your chances of netting at least one crit, though.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Ulio posted:

Do you get same amount of exp if you killed the shadow as you would if you took money, items or captured it?
You get XP for the one shadow you interrogated, but not for any others that vanish. The best course of action here is to defeat all but one shadow, and interrogate the last one.

I don't believe this is explained either but using a fire spell on a burned target does a crit, not sure if true but I read it somewhere?
I think you are referring to Technical Damage. This is a combo that causes crit-level damage based on status effects. Technical damage ignores resistances or immunities. The technical combos are:
Hitting “Burning” targets with Wind/Nuclear attacks
Hitting Frozen or Shocked targets with Physical/Nuclear attacks
Hitting a dizzy or sleeping enemy with an attack they nullify
Hitting an enemy with a mental status effect with a psy attack (mental statuses are Confuse, Fear, Brainwash, Despair, Rage)

Is the repel's reflected damage same as the damage the enemy would have done or does it scale off your atk/magic?
I believe that the damage is based on their attack, not yours

Is there aoe equivalent spell to the physical attack that can crit?
There are several AoE physical skills in the game, and all physical skills can crit.

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 13, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Digirat posted:

It doesn't skip days until the epilogue, after the last dungeon. You have a ways to go.

Awesome, thanks. I've been doing my damnedest to not use guides at all, outside a couple things I looked up to see what confidants were worth prioritizing for bonuses or finding stat breakpoints for progress. I did have to break my no walkthrough rule last night though to find out how much longer the September stuff would take. I think I have ten confidants (e: this doesn't count the ones that only level through plot or the twins) that I haven't finished, though most of them are at least halfway through, but I have Fortune at level 7 now which will help a lot.

quote:

I feel like you could have said this about Palaces three and four as well so knowing that six (I assume there are seven given the deadly sins theme) is also bad I'm not feeling great about five :sigh:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 13, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

You get the same amount of exp whatever you do to get rid of an individual shadow, but it may end up being less because you only dealt with part of the group.

If it is a mob of just 1 shadow say pixies and you capture it you get exp for all of them or just 1?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Finishing with an All-Out-Attack gets you bonus rewards.

Technical damage is what you're referring to. For instance, burned enemies take bonus damage from Wind attacks, or Nuclear damage deals bonus damage to Burned/Frozen/Shocked enemies. They're most notable in Maniac difficulty, since Technical damage is increased.

There isn't a direct equivalent of AoE Lucky/Miracle Punch, no. Several AoE attacks hit multiple times, which can 'raise' your chances of netting at least one crit, though.

The alloutattack bonus is what exactly? More gold?

Technical Damage, ok I've done it a bunch of times without knowing but is there any logic to it or you just have to know it by memory?

Ya I thought so for the AoE lucky punch would be too much.

Kaza42 posted:

I don't believe this is explained either but using a fire spell on a burned target does a crit, not sure if true but I read it somewhere?
I think you are referring to Technical Damage. This is a combo that causes crit-level damage based on status effects. Technical damage ignores resistances or immunities. The technical combos are:
Hitting “Burning” targets with Wind/Nuclear attacks
Hitting Frozen or Shocked targets with Physical/Nuclear attacks
Hitting a dizzy or sleeping enemy with an attack they nullify
Hitting an enemy with a mental status effect with a psy attack (mental statuses are Confuse, Fear, Brainwash, Despair, Rage)

Is the repel's reflected damage same as the damage the enemy would have done or does it scale off your atk/magic?
I believe that the damage is based on their attack, not yours

Thanks, ya in the psy spells description it does say it will do more dmg to enemies with mental ailments not sure if it says the same in for nuclear spells since I don't use that often.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Ulio posted:

If it is a mob of just 1 shadow say pixies and you capture it you get exp for all of them or just 1?

Just one. If you fight four pixies and

Immediately interrogate one: you get XP for one pixie, plus whatever you got for the interrogation
Kill all four: you get XP for four pixies, and cash/treasure for four pixies
Kill three and interrogate the last one: XP for four pixies, cash/treasure for three pixies, and whatever you got for the interrogation

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Just one. If you fight four pixies and

Immediately interrogate one: you get XP for one pixie, plus whatever you got for the interrogation
Kill all four: you get XP for four pixies, and cash/treasure for four pixies
Kill three and interrogate the last one: XP for four pixies, cash/treasure for three pixies, and whatever you got for the interrogation

Oh alright thanks that clarifies it. I wasn't sure if they were the same shadow maybe you got exp for all if you interrogated it. Makes sense now.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I feel like I’m watching Blues Clues when the party tries to figure out mysteries like what the switch near the surveillance cameras with “camera” written on it does. It says in fifty words what could be spelled out with a visual cue.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

snoremac posted:

I feel like I’m watching Blues Clues when the party tries to figure out mysteries like what the switch near the surveillance cameras with “camera” written on it does. It says in fifty words what could be spelled out with a visual cue.

Labouring the point and characters asking about things that have just been established is kind of an anime thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no, this game is just badly written

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Endorph posted:

Yeah, plenty of shows/games get around that trap.

I get why people loved this game but had I played it last year it definitely would not have even been close to Horizon for my GotY. I'm still having fun and would recommend but it's probably a solid fourth as far as 2017 releases for me so far (I am still catching up to some of them, like Mario and SoW).

Also I was right and the fifth dungeon also has some of the stupid "do a puzzle seventy three times" redundancies :sigh:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I think the dope soundtrack pushed Persona 5 into truly great status though the plot redundancies don't do it any favors

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

This seems to be the case with most JRPGs and Japanese games in general. They either have a too simplistic plot or super convoluted which is mainly due to bad writing.. That's why I like how the Souls series handles it because there isn't much writing in it. You don't need a 5 minute convo with an NPC to know Anor Londo is a place way past it's glory days. Also I am not in the camp of people who think Souls series story is some masterpiece but it does some good visual storytelling which isn't common in Japan. Japanese games are all about exposition through dialogue or text which reminds me a lot of anime/manga's writing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

This seems to be the case with most JRPGs and Japanese games in general. They either have a too simplistic plot or super convoluted which is mainly due to bad writing.. That's why I like how the Souls series handles it because there isn't much writing in it. You don't need a 5 minute convo with an NPC to know Anor Londo is a place way past it's glory days. Also I am not in the camp of people who think Souls series story is some masterpiece but it does some good visual storytelling which isn't common in Japan. Japanese games are all about exposition through dialogue or text which reminds me a lot of anime/manga's writing.
No, this game is just badly written. I can think of plenty of anime, manga, and japanese games that communicate through visuals. You are just using badly written things as your reference point. It'd be like saying western games lack proper narrative stakes because of Ride to Hell: Retribution.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ulio posted:

Fig. A: Confirmation bias in its natural habitat.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

HIJK posted:

I think the dope soundtrack pushed Persona 5 into truly great status though the plot redundancies don't do it any favors

This and the crazy good graphic design helped me overlook any flaws.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
September has just killed my urge to keep playing. I know if I get through it it’ll pick up, but sweet mother of gently caress is there a lot of stuff I have to push through.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

September has just killed my urge to keep playing. I know if I get through it it’ll pick up, but sweet mother of gently caress is there a lot of stuff I have to push through.
That’s a bad sign. I’m midway through the bank after struggling through the lulls in the story. I like when I have the freedom to do whatever, since confidants and other stuff have their own interesting vignettes, but it drags when I’m railroaded through loads of cutscenes that take forever to introduce the next target/dungeon. I’m all for big meaty cutscenes as long as things are actually happening, but too much of this is just the gang going out for food repeating what’s already happened or been established. The most grating thing in the entire game is my phone ringing when I return to Leblanc. “Y’all ready to do the thing we literally just talked about?”

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

Fig. A: Confirmation bias in its natural habitat.

Eh you are right that could just be just be my experience with bad JRPG writing.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you thought September was slow...I just got done with October and it might actually be worse. End of october/november seems to be start of the action again.

I found this scene very funny for some reasons. When Goro blackmails you to help him or he will get you arrested your confidant rank goes up with him. That is definitely how friendship works.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ulio posted:

I found this scene very funny for some reasons. When Goro blackmails you to help him or he will get you arrested your confidant rank goes up with him. That is definitely how friendship works.

Confidant rank isn’t just “you’re closer friends now”, sometimes it’s more like “you have a deeper understanding of this person”. There are some S. Links in 3 and 4 (3 mostly) that aren’t really great people

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ulio posted:

Eh you are right that could just be just be my experience with bad JRPG writing.

If you thought September was slow...I just got done with October and it might actually be worse. End of october/november seems to be start of the action again.

God drat I love the dungeon section of the game, and I also like the s links, but poo poo I wish there was a way to cut out the weeks of loving bullshit.

I got SMT IV the other day for the dungeon crawling aspect, but hooooo boy are those more difficult than P5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ulio posted:

gently caress :negative:

Last night I got three more max rank confidants and also Joker finally got his girl (Makoto, who's status as only girl was solidified at her awakening scene) :yeah:

What activity should I do to raise my Guts? I've got everything but Charm (which is max, obviously) at 4 still but guts is the only one that I can't "passively" raise via events or confidant levels right now and I can't remember which other activities raise it. e: I have done every Big Bang Burger challenge as well.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 15, 2018