Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sean10mm posted:

White nerds telling black people they aren't leftist enough is always a great look.

can you point to which posters are the white nerds who are doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

He definitely got huge for Creed, but I was used to him in Friday Night Lights so I didn't really think of it as a big transformation.

I remember Gyllenhaal in Southpaw was pretty impressive.

I didn't watch past the first season of FNL. He was alot bigger than I last saw him.

It was also how much work he clearly put into his boxing training. I mean, the guys he was fighting in the movie are actual boxers, and Jordan still looks good fighting them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sean10mm posted:

White nerds telling black people they aren't leftist enough is always a great look.

Disney isn't black.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Black Panther is real good but T'Challa is like the fourth or fifth most interesting character in his own movie

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That's not disney, that's a living creature that is their property.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Does Black Panther kill the president, 'cause Black Dynamite killed the president. I like Black Dynamite.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Snowman_McK posted:

That's not disney, that's a living creature that is their property.

It's a screaming ghost

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It's a screaming ghost
woah

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Does Black Panther kill the president, 'cause Black Dynamite killed the president. I like Black Dynamite.

No he didn't, death would have been too easy.

gently caress. Black Dynamite is so goddamn good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Snowman_McK posted:

No he didn't, death would have been too easy.

Yeah I forgot that part, I was misremembering the part where the helicopter exploded.

Ah, well, time to watch Black Dynamite again.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m7WNpBbjKM

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Snowman_McK posted:

Anybody who argues with this is a bad person.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So it's MVEL with a shout-out to Alex Ross in between.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
So I wanna put together a short-list of black superhero movies that I either need to watch or re-watch, let me know if I've left something out:

- The Meteor Man
- Blankman
- Blade 1 - 3
- Up, Up and Away
- Steel
- Hancock

I've already seen Spawn, Pootie Tang, Undercover Brother, Black Dynamite, After Earth, and Suicide Squad.

edit: Forgot Brother from Another Planet and Space is the Place.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 15, 2018

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

K. Waste posted:

- Blackman

lol it's Blankman

Edit: Don't forget Catwoman

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not a movie, but if you're this committed you might want to track down MANTIS.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I can't believe I forgot Catwoman.

The more I think about it, is Django Unchained a superhero movie? I know being dead-on-sight gun slinger isn't precisely a 'superpower' in the genre QT's working with, but I think King's comparisons between Django and Sigfried and specifically his insistence that Django is "a natural" puts it over the edge into appropriately mythological territory.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

K. Waste posted:

The more I think about it, is Django Unchained a superhero movie? I know being dead-on-sight gun slinger isn't precisely a 'superpower' in the genre QT's working with, but I think King's comparisons between Django and Sigfried and specifically his insistence that Django is "a natural" puts it over the edge into appropriately mythological territory.
Batman is a superhero and only has “natural” powers.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

K. Waste posted:

He's also Shaft's great-grandfather or something, if that helps your cause.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

K. Waste posted:

So I wanna put together a short-list of black superhero movies that I either need to watch or re-watch, let me know if I've left something out:

- The Meteor Man
- Blankman
- Blade 1 - 3
- Up, Up and Away
- Steel
- Hancock

I've already seen Spawn, Pootie Tang, Undercover Brother, Black Dynamite, After Earth, and Suicide Squad.

Coffy, Foxy Brown, and probably a few other Pam Grier movies

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

DeafNote posted:

funny how people always compared malcolm X to Magneto instead
Some are saying the Professor X is MLK Jr while Magneto is Malcolm X. Neither comparison is valid. MLK was a staunch pacifist whereas Professor X runs this paramilitary force called the X-Men. Malcolm X was not a black supremacist, he explicitly renounced racism later in life.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Oh, he is. He's the 'magical negro' except that he's in his own movie, for once, instead of being a side act in someone else's.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

K. Waste posted:

- The Meteor Man
- Blankman
- Blade 1 - 3
- Up, Up and Away
- Steel
- Hancock

the animated short that accompanies The Incredibles, with Mr. Incredible and Frozone's commentary

"They made me beige!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Thomas Haden Church said he was in a secret superhero movie filmed last year. The only clue he gave was that it's not in "the Marvel world". That could mean anything: a WB/DC adaptation, that Hellboy movie, a Valiant movie Sony have been trying to make, an adaptation of an indie comic or book etc. If meant "not in the MCU", that might include an X-Men movie or even Venom as well.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/thomas-haden-church-talks-divorce-spider-man-3-a-mystery-comic-book-role-117

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I wanna see a 3 part adaptation of Irredeemable.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The MSJ posted:

Thomas Haden Church said he was in a secret superhero movie filmed last year. The only clue he gave was that it's not in "the Marvel world". That could mean anything: a WB/DC adaptation, that Hellboy movie, a Valiant movie Sony have been trying to make, an adaptation of an indie comic or book etc. If meant "not in the MCU", that might include an X-Men movie or even Venom as well.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/thomas-haden-church-talks-divorce-spider-man-3-a-mystery-comic-book-role-117

Could you even imagine if while trying to stop Thanos' doomsday machine in Infinity War, Peter Parker gets badly injured and has a ghostly vision of Uncle Ben as played by THC? He's not too terribly older than Marisa Tomei, after all.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

my first thought was someone finally getting a Goon movie off the ground but that's not quite superheroes and super villains.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How about he has visions of him as uncle Ben AND Sandman from Spider-Man 3 and then when the new Spider-Man 3 comes out, they get the three guys who have played Spidey and just adapt Spider-verse.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ruddiger posted:

How about he has visions of him as uncle Ben AND Sandman from Spider-Man 3 and then when the new Spider-Man 3 comes out, they get the three guys who have played Spidey and just adapt Spider-verse.

This but their performances are swapped so like MCU Spidey sulks around and dances, etc.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
He's Lobster Johnson in Hellboy.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

K. Waste posted:

- The Meteor Man
- Blankman
- Blade 1 - 3
- Up, Up and Away
- Steel
- Hancock

undercover brother is so loving good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched Undercover Brother every day as a kid and my brother and I would do the fight scene at the end, switching between being Mr. Feather(lmao) and Undercover Brother.

One of us was going in that pool for the end scene. Great times.

Fuckin love that movie and I could quote it all drat day.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fart City posted:

Could you even imagine if while trying to stop Thanos' doomsday machine in Infinity War, Peter Parker gets badly injured and has a ghostly vision of Uncle Ben as played by THC? He's not too terribly older than Marisa Tomei, after all.

Uncle Ben should be played by Joe Pesci.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Obviously Thanos and THC are going to go on a trip through the Napa wine valley. Thanos is going to act all emo because of his divorce.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Uncle Ben should be played by Joe Pesci.

Wit' great fuckin' power comes great fuckin' responsibility!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

I guess if Chronicle gets counted as a superhero film then Sleight should as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOBAoSy4oJI

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Dave posted:

Obviously Thanos and THC are going to go on a trip through the Napa wine valley. Thanos is going to act all emo because of his divorce.

Just give him some munchies and he’ll be alright.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I guess if Chronicle gets counted as a superhero film then Sleight should as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOBAoSy4oJI

I actually didn't hate this movie, it's a bit by the numbers but it's a pretty solid production and the payoff at the end is pretty fuckin' good, and I like the explanation for his "powers." I'd watch a sequel, it's a pretty solid rebuttal to the shitshow that is Now You See Me a movie I have a burning hatred for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Variety sources are reporting that Joaquin Phoenix has agreed to be the Joker on the standalone film.

quote:

Joaquin Phoenix is in talks to play the Clown Prince of Crime in Warner Bros. and Todd Phillips’ untitled Joker origin movie.

While studio negotiations are not yet underway, Phillips has made it clear that Phoenix is the top choice to star and sources now tell Variety that, after thinking it over, Phoenix has agreed to the role. WB had no comment.

Phillips is on board to co-write and direct the movie. Phillips had met with Phoenix before the new year and was just waiting for the studio’s go-ahead, sources say.

Insiders stress that Jared Leto, who starred in “Suicide Squad” as the Joker is still on board as the character in the DC universe and that this Phoenix has no effect on what happens with Leto’s character in future DC films.

The movie would fall under a yet-to-be-announced new banner of DC Comics, which would give the studio the opportunity to expand the canon of the iconic comic-book characters with unique story angles that aren’t included in its current cinematic universe. Jared Leto most recently played the Joker in “Suicide Squad” and is likely to reprise that role in “Suicide Squad 2,” but will not be featured in this film. Rumors circulated that Leonardo DiCaprio was the first person approached to star in Phillips’ standalone film, though that didn’t pan out.

Scott Silver will join Phillips as a co-writer on the film, which will delve into what it took for the Joker to become a mastermind criminal. Sources say the story will take place in the ’80s and have more of the look of a gritty crime drama than comic-book movie.

Phoenix has been considered for another villainous DC role in the past: Lex Luthor in “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” but passed on that role, which ultimately went to Jesse Eisenberg. He was also in talks for Disney-Marvel’s “Doctor Strange,” but passed on that as well. He was most recently seen in the Gus Van Sant film “He Won’t Get Far on Foot.”

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-origin-movie-todd-phillips-1202692188/