Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I actually "upgraded" my gear in between, which means push my ilevel but lose crit/det because the non-savage gear i have access to is kinda bad. So it's possible i just did more damage with nominally worse gear a few days ago. Funny thing is, even if i use my berserk on the snakes, Twintania takes so long to come down that it's ready again anyways, so that's not it.

Though when she comes down with 50% health, there's just not a lot of time until the dread knight shows up. She comes down, casts ultimate, a twister, and then the dread knight comes along. Anyone know how far i have to push her percentage wise to skip the knight?

I should really get just one other person to run this with me, if even just to save some time. I was able to take a trip to the toilet in between getting conflagrated and waiting for it to explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Do 24 man raid a week, level a tank and do expert, take the 1000 Grade 5's and lovely 6's you get down to goblin materia pound town and get em swapped out.

I'm honestly not too worried about actually getting VIs, I just feel like every time I go, other people get better materia drops than I do. :v:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Leofish posted:

I'm honestly not too worried about actually getting VIs, I just feel like every time I go, other people get better materia drops than I do. :v:

Ah, so you always get Tenacity and Piety too?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Being busy on Tuesdays is murder for pugging omega, even the easy first two floors. If it's as bad next week as it is this week I'll probably just sit out entirely until my Tuesdays free up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

War DPS question - onslaught - should I basically just use it when I need to move and otherwise only use it under inner release? Upheaval seems to math out in my mind to be worth pretty much using on cooldown but onslaught seems like a dps loss to use it every time it's up.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

War DPS question - onslaught - should I basically just use it when I need to move and otherwise only use it under inner release? Upheaval seems to math out in my mind to be worth pretty much using on cooldown but onslaught seems like a dps loss to use it every time it's up.

Spamming Onslaught on cooldown and never touching it at all outside of movement are basically the same DPS. So just do whatever. Most of the time I don't use it much but spamming it is really nice when you have DPS that don't use their aggro tools.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fell cleave is 104 potency per 10 beast gauge, onslaught is 50 potency per 10 beast gauge.

So, yes; you should only be using it in inner release or when using it will gain you uptime.

edit: I guess you have to consider it's enmity generating ability too. if the dps are idiots who don't use diversion or your co-tank is a shitter who doesn't shirk you, then it's probably better to onslaught on cooldown than enter defiance stance more than necessary.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Brainamp posted:

Dungeon was ARF. WHM still strongest class.

Yup - Shisui

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I say this as someone who played AST through all of HW:

WHM healing is so goddamn easy it infuriates me and blows my loving mind that there are WHMs that *aren't* loving tweakers eager to mash Holy for all they're goddamn worth.

I look forward to being even more angry at SCH once I finish getting WHM to 70 tonight.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I say this as someone who played AST through all of HW:

WHM healing is so goddamn easy it infuriates me and blows my loving mind that there are WHMs that *aren't* loving tweakers eager to mash Holy for all they're goddamn worth.

I look forward to being even more angry at SCH once I finish getting WHM to 70 tonight.
Was AST OP during Heavensward's patch cycle?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

Fell cleave is 104 potency per 10 beast gauge, onslaught is 50 potency per 10 beast gauge.

So, yes; you should only be using it in inner release or when using it will gain you uptime.

edit: I guess you have to consider it's enmity generating ability too. if the dps are idiots who don't use diversion or your co-tank is a shitter who doesn't shirk you, then it's probably better to onslaught on cooldown than enter defiance stance more than necessary.

You aren't taking into account that Onslaught is an OGCD. So it's not quite that simple. Someone on the balance discord posted this:

quote:

Felcleave vs Onslaught

Onslaught
100 Pot
20 Rage

----------
Onslaunt Efficiency
5 Pot/Rage
----------

Felcleave
520 Pot

Base Rotation
[160+200+280]/3
213.33 Pot

Pot Gain
520 - 213.33
306.67 Pot

50 Rage

Base Rotation Rage Gain
30+30+30+20/12
9.167 Rage

Infuriate Rage Gain
50*5/60
4.167 Rage

Total Rage Cost
50+9.167-4.167

----------
Fel Cleave Efficiency
5.576 Pot/Rage
----------

But the difference in efficiency is more or less made up for by Onslaught maintaining high gauge for longer and giving a higher crit rate. Basically, it's a wash and the real answer is "do however many Fell Cleaves it takes to end the phase on Path."

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

I distinctly recall them being called poo poo and worthless during a patch or two, I'm not sure if it was hyperbole, I didn't get to AST until they got better.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

You aren't taking into account that Onslaught is an OGCD. So it's not quite that simple. Someone on the balance discord posted this:

But the difference in efficiency is more or less made up for by Onslaught maintaining high gauge for longer and giving a higher crit rate. Basically, it's a wash and the real answer is "do however many Fell Cleaves it takes to end the phase on Path."

huh, that makes a bunch of sense. thanks.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I distinctly recall them being called poo poo and worthless during a patch or two, I'm not sure if it was hyperbole, I didn't get to AST until they got better.

AST was poo poo for a while after launch and got buffed over and over to the point where it was pretty OP by the end.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

HenryEx posted:

OK so a couple days ago i solo'd T5 as a WAR just to see if i could, and, well, i could.

Now i try it again and keep wiping on the dread knight. I get stunned and one-shot. For the life of me, i can't remember how i got past this guy days ago when i did this first try. Anyone got tips?

You need to either burst the dreadknight dead in 2~ seconds, or burst Twin to 30% before the knight spawns. Twin's divebomb phase starts at 55%, but she takes a while to actually transition so there's time to get her pretty low there to burst her below 30% when she comes back(in fact she skips it if she's under 30% when she goes to leave, but doing that solo is still kind of hard to do).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why is O5S so easy? I did a blind party and we saw to enrage in a few pulls. :psyduck:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just hit drg 70. What should my opener look like in terms of oGCD priority, and is there anything important I need to know regarding LotD/Nastrond management?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why is O5S so easy? I did a blind party and we saw to enrage in a few pulls. :psyduck:
I think their strategy with SB Savage raids is to make the first fight easy enough that most players won't feel excluded by the whole thing right from the get-go.

At the same time, though, o5s is actually super annoying and I wouldn't be surprised if I never manage a great individual run of it DPS-wise because everyone just fucks around and I always stop paying attention and die to some bullshit.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
PSA: Macro Sound Effects Harm People with Sensory Issues

Full Disclosure: I am a disabled adult with PTSD, Anxiety, and Depression. I am also suspected of having Asperger's Syndrome, which is high-functioning on the Autistic Spectrum. I have experienced this first hand. I have also been harassed because I have dared to bring attention to this within the game.

If you have sensory issues, high pitched and attention seeking sounds such as the macro sound effects can cause panic, headaches, migraines, and emotional outbursts. I have many of my sounds turned down to less than 10%. I love Final Fantasy's music, voice acting, and many aspects of the game. But the macro sound effects, though a useful tool for some, are making me consider quitting the game. Because when I get a migraine, it comes with the full pain: aura, nausea, severe pain in on one side of brain, panic, and overall an inability to properly function, much less play and enjoy a game. Macro Sound effects are the only sounds in this game I hate and despise.

You may ask, well why not ask them not to use the sound effect? Well people put them into their skill macros for raise, healing, protect, and other sort of necessary skills. It literally cannot be avoided, and once people are in a dungeon, despite knowing they are causing someone intense pain, they'd rather not take 5 seconds to edit their macro and remove the sound effect. Or, because people are rude and think it is fun to troll people with sensory issues, will spam it even more just because I dared to even ask them not to use them.

Square Enix, I implore you to allow a check box to eliminate macro sound effects. You have given special attention to those with color blindness and edited some of the new huds specially for them. Please, as a request from someone who otherwise adores your game and has spent a ton supporting this game, either remove macro sound effects entirely, or give us an OPTION CHECK BOX to remove them. I have even muted the tell sound effect.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Verranicus posted:

Full Disclosure: I am a disabled adult with PTSD, Anxiety, and Depression. I am also suspected of having Asperger's Syndrome, which is high-functioning on the Autistic Spectrum. I have experienced this first hand. I have also been harassed because I have dared to bring attention to this within the game.

If you have sensory issues, high pitched and attention seeking sounds such as the macro sound effects can cause panic, headaches, migraines, and emotional outbursts. I have many of my sounds turned down to less than 10%. I love Final Fantasy's music, voice acting, and many aspects of the game. But the macro sound effects, though a useful tool for some, are making me consider quitting the game. Because when I get a migraine, it comes with the full pain: aura, nausea, severe pain in on one side of brain, panic, and overall an inability to properly function, much less play and enjoy a game. Macro Sound effects are the only sounds in this game I hate and despise.

You may ask, well why not ask them not to use the sound effect? Well people put them into their skill macros for raise, healing, protect, and other sort of necessary skills. It literally cannot be avoided, and once people are in a dungeon, despite knowing they are causing someone intense pain, they'd rather not take 5 seconds to edit their macro and remove the sound effect. Or, because people are rude and think it is fun to troll people with sensory issues, will spam it even more just because I dared to even ask them not to use them.

Square Enix, I implore you to allow a check box to eliminate macro sound effects. You have given special attention to those with color blindness and edited some of the new huds specially for them. Please, as a request from someone who otherwise adores your game and has spent a ton supporting this game, either remove macro sound effects entirely, or give us an OPTION CHECK BOX to remove them. I have even muted the tell sound effect.

Suspected

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Just hit drg 70. What should my opener look like in terms of oGCD priority, and is there anything important I need to know regarding LotD/Nastrond management?

http://ffxivrotations.com/1boi

After this, just focus on doing a standard Chaos Thrust combo +4th +5th > Full Thrust Combo +4th +5th > repeat, while mashing your oGCD buttons as they come up while trying not to to clip your GCD. They basically come up
aligned naturally with a couple of exceptions you will likely learn as you practice.

Don't double weave jumps. Don't enter Life with less than 23 seconds on your timer (Should never happen normally but mistakes or uptime losses can gently caress things up) so you always get 3 Nastrond's per Life. Try not to ever delay Geirscogul by more than 2 GCD's (This mostly comes up when you gently caress up or have uptime issues - just do your best and don't worry about it for the most part).

The one interesting caveat is your first Life of the Dragon cycle - due to the way your Eye's are limited by your Jumps and Spineshatter Dives, you can enter LotD either at 47 seconds or 117 seconds and it doesn't have any effect on when you enter your second LotD cycle at 147 seconds. Because of this, it is wise to delay your first LotD so you get extra Nastronds under Blood for Blood.

Master these things with good uptime and it's a free ticket to 95th percentile. There are other optimizations but then you start getting REALLY spergy.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 15, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I... don't get the big problem with this? "This sound effect bothers me and unlike other sound effects muting it doesn't seem to work" seems like a valid complaint.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Seems like a solid suggestion, I hope they implement something like it ASAP

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Nessus posted:

If I'm absolutely honest, a little bit, yes. They started out deliberately undertuned, then got potency bumps or other buffs almost every major patch.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Nessus posted:

AST was a disaster during HW and they spent basically the entire patch cycle trying to fix it. It was arguably fine by 3.3, but was not really played until Balance was over buffed in 3.4.

In an attempt to balance things, AST had its individual damage nerfed. Then they took back the Balance buff. They did change Spear from mostly useless to okay, but they largely have abandoned the major issues with the job, which kind of centre around it having poor MP management and being kind of weak in 4 mans. It's a bit amusing they're leaving the job to languish after spending so much time on it in HW.

Long story short though, almost every other healer feels easier to play and more rewarding, particularly in 4 mans.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Verranicus posted:

copy and pasting accessibility concerns like they're supposed to be mocked is kinda gross ngl

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ImpAtom posted:

I... don't get the big problem with this? "This sound effect bothers me and unlike other sound effects muting it doesn't seem to work" seems like a valid complaint.

It's mostly that first paragraph. I'd probably check that box if it got added.

Was doing an alliance raid roulette late last night. Our group (was with 3 or 4 other goons) was not great and the pub healer had a sound effect in his raise macro. It was obnoxious.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ImpAtom posted:

Stormgale posted:

Seems like a solid suggestion, I hope they implement something like it ASAP

:same:

Shame it needs to be a toggle and asking nicely isn't enough, but hey. Plenty of people love to make fun at other's discomfort huh?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

p hosed up that somebody asking for an accessibility fix is getting mocked

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I use <se.5> for raise (the short beep) and <se.6> for DANGEROUS DANGER BONGOS because all the others are bloody ridiculous.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I like to think we're mocking the idea of asking SE to ever fix something.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

ruta posted:

almost every other healer feels easier to play and more rewarding, particularly in 4 mans.

So, WHM but not SCH.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know, I kinda wonder what would happen to the Scions if Alphinaud was out of commission and they had to make diplomatic decisions without him for a while.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know, I kinda wonder what would happen to the Scions if Alphinaud was out of commission and they had to make diplomatic decisions without him for a while.

I mean, they've gotta have an, "Alisaie has to take over for her sick brother, finds out his job's hard as poo poo," episode at some point, given the dynamics they've set up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WrightOfWay posted:

When I’m OT war I will nearly take hate if I use onslaught when available. Also this math confirms what I saw in my own dps numbers last night - onslaught spamming is about 10% lower damage than fell cleave, but it’s not a big deal if I do end up using it. As MT use it as needed for extra enmity.

I do appreciate chad the painting giving me 20 seconds and a free infuriate to start my pulls, though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i get migraines 1-3x a week and while the sound effects are super annoying and i'm all about getting rid of them, the idea that they could cause a migraine with any degree of ease or repetition probably means that guy needs medical help

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i get migraines 1-3x a week and while the sound effects are super annoying and i'm all about getting rid of them, the idea that they could cause a migraine with any degree of ease or repetition probably means that guy needs medical help

Why assume they -aren't- getting help already? Take it from someone who dealt with it as a kid, there are no guaranteed fixes to sensory overload. You can avoid common triggers or mitigate their effects when you know they're coming but there isn't a magic pill you can take.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vermain posted:

I mean, they've gotta have an, "Alisaie has to take over for her sick brother, finds out his job's hard as poo poo," episode at some point, given the dynamics they've set up.

Alisae: Alph is down for the count and there's a trade dispute between the East Aldenard Trading Company and the Hingans? Don't worry, I've got this.

*5 minutes pass*

Alisae, standing in the charred remains of Kugane: ok maybe I don't got this.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Macro sounds are tied to system sounds. Why do you have system sounds on? What other reason then to hear macro sounds? I for one wish they'd separate it because when I'm crafting I don't want to hear all the stupid click noises going through the menus but I want to hear my macro sounds for when my crafts are done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vermain posted:

Basically the katana situation again, but with Alisae?

"It's just a border dispute, how hard could it be to solve?"