Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rainuwastaken posted:

I think it's just a plain pair of Shaded Spectacles? Should be trivial to craft or cheap to buy off the board.

Is there some easy way to get the polarized glass for those that isn't just grabbing them off the market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Dukka posted:

There is plenty of crit if you just get the right gear though??

Unless you were regularly raiding the savage tier of the last patch or you're willing to dump a lot of money into the new crafted gear, there actually really isn't.

You're basically required to dump a ton of tomestones into bad gear to get the ilevels to get into the new raid tier or pay for crafted stuff. Normally I wouldn't care because I don't care that much about BiS, but the tomestone/normal raid gear is so bad it's actually noticeable even in casual play.

troofs fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 14, 2018

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

So how is PVP for people who don't normally like MMO PVP? I want some of those armor sets but I'm worried to try it.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

troofs posted:

Unless you were regularly raiding the savage tier of the last patch or you're willing to dump a lot of money into the new crafted gear, there actually really isn't.

You're basically required to dump a ton of tomestones into bad gear to get the ilevels to get into the new raid tier or pay for crafted stuff. Normally I wouldn't care because I don't care that much about BiS, but the tomestone/normal raid gear is so bad it's actually noticeable even in casual play.

If you aren't doing savage though you don't really need the most optimized gear.
And if you mean to get into sigma normal you can get the ilvl for that with dungeon and 24 man raid drops.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Rosalind posted:

So how is PVP for people who don't normally like MMO PVP? I want some of those armor sets but I'm worried to try it.

Gaining PVP currency is no effort at all, you get plenty even if your team loses. The teams are big, the games are short, go for it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rosalind posted:

I like it. With the frontlines versions, just stick with a group of people and do what they do. Super low stress and you're just another blip on the radar - can't really be singled out for doing anything wrong as long as you're with people hitting buttons.

Rival wings needs a bit more meta knowledge, as one party member needs to be doing robots, and one should be harvesting ceruleum for them, so it takes a game or two to figure things out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The PVP is entirely unremarkable but as was said, if you just want wolf marks, it's short and losing gives decent sums so it's not a big deal even if you dislike it.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

troofs posted:

BRD Left side to 340 is like mostly Creation and O2S loot though? Right side you can get 2 o5n pieces, 2 Creation pieces and the O1S earring, and the 340 bow.

poo poo there's like 3 pieces of non mendacity loot BRD's are going to wear for BiS not counting the weapon?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Brainamp posted:

Is there some easy way to get the polarized glass for those that isn't just grabbing them off the market?

Unhidden Leather Maps.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Rosalind posted:

My number one piece of a advise is: Don't queue as a BLM. It's an exercise in frustration .

Beyond that it's bland, takes about 10 or so days for the new set if you only queue for your one Duty Roulette bonus Frontlines a day.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It woulden't be nearly so bad if they didn't dump so much skill speed on the BRD stuff because you can kind of mitigate the crit loss from LA/Genji gear with some materia, but there is no fixing the huge amount of clipping you're gonna do with all the skill speed this gear gives you out the box.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

So what everyone is saying is Hydrus is this game's version of General Leo.

The holy spirit animation for Paladin is literally Steiner's shock

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubDNTzskZwY&t=283s

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Gally posted:

If you aren't doing savage though you don't really need the most optimized gear.

You definitely don't but I'm not going to grind 2 weeks worth of mendacity for a chest piece with secondary stats so bad that it's barely an upgrade to my 320 chest, grind O4S when everybody is on the next raid tier or spend millions on the crafted set so that I can run savage for the 370 chest, so I guess I'm going to just shelve my bard and gear my other classes first.

Bolow posted:

poo poo there's like 3 pieces of non mendacity loot BRD's are going to wear for BiS not counting the weapon?

Those 3 pieces include chest and head where the crafted upgrades are currently going for like 15 million on my server and there aren't any other good alternatives between 340 (which is a savage reward like I mentioned) until the 370 chest (which is another savage reward).

I'm way too busy at the moment to raid savage and I don't want to throw time-limited tomestones away on poo poo gear. It's not going to ruin my life or anything but it feels really lovely, especially since the gear available to raise my ilevel has tons of skill speed which is actively kind of bad for bard.

troofs fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 14, 2018

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

troofs posted:

You definitely don't but I'm not going to grind 2 weeks worth of mendacity for a chest piece with secondary stats so bad that it's barely an upgrade to my 320 chest
Secondary stats are so far behind primary stats that I seriously doubt this is going to be the case

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Secondary stats are so far behind primary stats that I seriously doubt this is going to be the case

crit is very important for bard.

It's still an upgrade but it's really minimal considering the cost.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

troofs posted:

crit is very important for bard.

It's still an upgrade but it's really minimal considering the cost.

It is but not as important as you think especially when the stat differences between the diamond and tome gear only really matter if youre actively progging on savage.

You've got nothing to worry about basically and shelving a class cause of subpar substats is an overreaction

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Especially nowadays where they poo poo out materia six at you so you can recoup a big chunk of lost crit.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

troofs posted:

Those 3 pieces include chest and head where the crafted upgrades are currently going for like 15 million on my server and there aren't any other good alternatives between 340 (which is a savage reward like I mentioned) until the 370 chest (which is another savage reward).

I'm way too busy at the moment to raid savage and I don't want to throw time-limited tomestones away on poo poo gear. It's not going to ruin my life or anything but it feels really lovely, especially since the gear available to raise my ilevel has tons of skill speed which is actively kind of bad for bard.

If you're not raiding Savage content then why does it matter? The Ivalice Head and Chest have a shitload of crit on them, use them in lieu of 350 stuff.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You've got nothing to worry about basically and shelving a class cause of subpar substats is an overreaction

Agree to disagree I guess, especially since I'm not the only one who is annoyed at how lackluster the gear is :shrug: I'd much prefer to get gear progression going on other classes that actually have real upgrades with their gear.

all of this talk about secondary stats has me wondering: Are there any kind of updated stat weights anywhere or are the ones on ariyala still the best we have? Are the old weights still accurate at all?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

troofs posted:

Agree to disagree I guess, especially since I'm not the only one who is annoyed at how lackluster the gear is :shrug: I'd much prefer to get gear progression going on other classes that actually have real upgrades with their gear.

all of this talk about secondary stats has me wondering: Are there any kind of updated stat weights anywhere or are the ones on ariyala still the best we have? Are the old weights still accurate at all?

Stat weights were never really that accurate. Stat tiers are all the rage now.

I don't know what that means it is just what they keep saying on the balance discord. I just let nerds run the numbers and come up with BiS sets and use a basic priority system leading up to BiS

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bolow posted:

If you're not raiding Savage content then why does it matter?

Exact same reason as if you're raiding savage content: bigger better numbers. Getting poo poo stats sucks.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I am eternally angry that the elbst mount can't swim.

Yes, I know, only flying mounts can swim.

And I know it came out in ARR.

But it makes no sense

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Bolow posted:

If you're not raiding Savage content then why does it matter? The Ivalice Head and Chest have a shitload of crit on them, use them in lieu of 350 stuff.

Seriously, this. Plenty of people used used the 330 until they got a o4s chest drop.

Prices will drop on the crafted gear soon enough too, brd were in a simular spot w/ lovely chest last raid tier and I just waited a few weeks and got a crafted chest once prices had stabilized.

I get it that it sucks when you can't get a super great upgrade from the storymode, but the situation isn't THAT dire, if you know how to hit buttons you'll still be doing way more dps than most players.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the DEX will make you do more damage anyways

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
differences in rotational skill swamp differences from gear at that point though. striking dummy time will get you a lot bigger numbers a lot faster than a stat weight spreadsheet. i know this because i'm a dumpster fire with any dps class.

if you're good enough to actually care whether you have 200 sks or 200 det on a piece, you're good enough to just...go get the piece which is better.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Especially nowadays where they poo poo out materia six at you so you can recoup a big chunk of lost crit.

I feel like every time I do EXDR and you do those pulls that drop Vs and VIs, everyone else gets, like, Savage Aim VI and I get Mind V or something.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Leofish posted:

I feel like every time I do EXDR and you do those pulls that drop Vs and VIs, everyone else gets, like, Savage Aim VI and I get Mind V or something.

Not even including 70 and EXDR specifically, theres 24 man raid rewards, Centurio Seals, Lost/Hidden Canals which you can freely join PF and just suck up materia passively, spirit bonding dungeon drops while running said dungeons. Also just flat out reclaiming materia out of equipment now. 40% for 6s is better than the old 0%. I seriously didn't have to hit the marketboard up once penta melding my crafted stuff this tier, because of all the clusters, crystals, and direct materia I had accumulated last tier.

And with elemental materia gone now, it's even better.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 14, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nodosaur posted:

Fish can't swim, elephants can fly, and turtles are rocket-powered. What's hard to understand? :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dungeon was ARF. WHM still strongest class.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Leofish posted:

Transmute it all, dude. Might get lucky and roll up a crafter 6 or something.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bolow posted:

If you're not raiding Savage content then why does it matter?

Nobody should strive to be better

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

kirbysuperstar posted:

the mantra of most level 70 sub-2k dps duty finder pubs

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I can't tell if installing a damage parser would make the game more fun because it'd give me a high score to always try to beat, or if it'd make the game less fun because it'd make it easier to get negative about people's performance

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Lol nice partial quote. He explicitly gives an alternative to Savage or breaking bank right after that first sentence.

There's a difference between not caring about your class and doing 1000 dps and obsessing over getting that 1-2% extra dps for bleeding edge progression.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Leofish posted:

Do 24 man raid a week, level a tank and do expert, take the 1000 Grade 5's and lovely 6's you get down to goblin materia pound town and get em swapped out.

troofs posted:

Agree to disagree I guess, especially since I'm not the only one who is annoyed at how lackluster the gear is

The gear is okay, there's just also better gear if you want to work to get it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

Yes, I know, only flying mounts can swim.

And I know it came out in ARR.

But it makes no sense

Don't even ask me how angry i was that the castaway chocobo minion doesn't follow you into water. IT HAS A SWIM RING

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Cephas posted:

I can't tell if installing a damage parser would make the game more fun because it'd give me a high score to always try to beat, or if it'd make the game less fun because it'd make it easier to get negative about people's performance

Getting negative can be fun too :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
OK so a couple days ago i solo'd T5 as a WAR just to see if i could, and, well, i could.

Now i try it again and keep wiping on the dread knight. I get stunned and one-shot. For the life of me, i can't remember how i got past this guy days ago when i did this first try. Anyone got tips?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Hit it harder :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

HenryEx posted:

OK so a couple days ago i solo'd T5 as a WAR just to see if i could, and, well, i could.

Now i try it again and keep wiping on the dread knight. I get stunned and one-shot. For the life of me, i can't remember how i got past this guy days ago when i did this first try. Anyone got tips?

It sounds like you are right on the edge of being able to push phase changes in a way that lets you skip mechanics, but it depends on your crit and direct hit rate. Eat some STR food and make sure your gear is melded. Maybe save your beast charge for the phase with the knight, so you can burst past it, instead of fell cleaving the snakes quickly.