Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I can't imagine why spending entire days for months on end encased in latex might possibly have an adverse effect on a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also Saru is so tall he's always having to bend over at his workstation. It's a real OSHA concern.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can't imagine Doug Jones has an issue with any makeup by now or he would already be dead. That's all he does.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yup I was afraid of that now we will never get a Doug Jones episode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A transporter accident splits him into a human and a goat. They eat the goat.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Movies are different, though. The shoot is a couple months at most, and they're usually scheduled around stuff like that. Saru is a fairly major character in a weekly, hour-long series. He's going to be in heavy makeup for prolonged periods of time by the demands of the medium. I'm sure they try to schedule him to have rest days, of course, but if an episode takes eight days to film, he's probably done up most of those days, for a longer stint than a film.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

And it's an open question whether Saru will return or not, the makeup is apparently really bad for the actor's health.

[citation needed]

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Movies are different, though. The shoot is a couple months at most, and they're usually scheduled around stuff like that. Saru is a fairly major character in a weekly, hour-long series. He's going to be in heavy makeup for prolonged periods of time by the demands of the medium. I'm sure they try to schedule him to have rest days, of course, but if an episode takes eight days to film, he's probably done up most of those days, for a longer stint than a film.

You do realize we're talking about the franchise that had Quark, Odo, etc? Prosthetics have not been hazardous to anybody's health for a long time.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 15, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I have no idea where that came from. Michael Dorn was in Star Trek makeup for like half of his drat life.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I remember that a lot of the Star Trek EU stuff, back in the 80s and 90s, you know, the Pocket Books novels and what not, posited that TOS Klingons were actually 'Klingon/human fusions' intended to better interact with their neighbours, or the result of experimentation and what not that the Empire decided to make use of.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I have no idea where that came from. Michael Dorn was in Star Trek makeup for like half of his drat life.
Jones especially almost never does anything that does not involve heavy makeup

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Is it because of the blue lady from Farscape who had a specific reaction to the paint

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah it's not inconceivable that someone could be allergic to some makeup component, but you'd think Jones would've found that out about 20 years ago. Regardless, I just searched high and low and I didn't find even a hint of him having any problems with the Saru makeup.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Terry Farrell also has some bad skin allergies or something and the spots were all she could tolerate. That's why she wasn't part of the episode where they all impersonate Klingons, even though Jadzia would have been the natural choice to send.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only question about Jones' availability is regarding whether the What We Do in the Shadows show gets ordered to series, as he would be recurring on that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They could just change the makeup every season, say it's a life cycle thing for Kelpians

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

TheCenturion posted:

I remember that a lot of the Star Trek EU stuff, back in the 80s and 90s, you know, the Pocket Books novels and what not, posited that TOS Klingons were actually 'Klingon/human fusions' intended to better interact with their neighbours, or the result of experimentation and what not that the Empire decided to make use of.

That's actually become canon now, or something like it, with that Enterprise episode. The Klingons were trying to genetically alter their people using DNA from augmented humans (like Khan and his followers). The research got out of control, got into a virus, and resulted in the Klingons losing their forehead ridges and becomingTOS Klingons.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Epicurius posted:

That's actually become canon now, or something like it, with that Enterprise episode. The Klingons were trying to genetically alter their people using DNA from augmented humans (like Khan and his followers). The research got out of control, got into a virus, and resulted in the Klingons losing their forehead ridges and becomingTOS Klingons.

Yeah, my point is, I wonder if they're retconning that out and now the TOS Klingons are Discovery-style fusions.

I still say that the DS9 episode Trials and Tribbleations should have just had Dorn in TOS era makeup and nobody says a word.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Timby posted:

The only question about Jones' availability is regarding whether the What We Do in the Shadows show gets ordered to series, as he would be recurring on that.

LeVar Burton and Colm Meaney both managed to film other things pretty regularly.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, my point is, I wonder if they're retconning that out and now the TOS Klingons are Discovery-style fusions.

I still say that the DS9 episode Trials and Tribbleations should have just had Dorn in TOS era makeup and nobody says a word.

I dunno, I think they handled it pretty well.

*Everyone looks at TOS Klingons*
*Everyone looks at Dorn*
"We do not talk about it!"
*No further discussion*

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bohemian Nights posted:

Star Trek Discovery is actually the best first season of any star trek show to date, I think you must be confused

I admit it's quite possible I just do not like Star Trek anymore.

Aside from almost everything made before 2000, and the JJ movies.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
According to Doug Jones, he's just a guest on the pilot.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Been rewatching DS9. I was stunned at how "The Storyteller" shits all over O'Brien. "Yeah, maybe the dying old man looked around and picked the biggest loser in the room to be his successor just so that the other villagers would realize you're a good Sirah by comparison. Just look at that doughy bastard. God, he sucks. What an rear end." The old gently caress even specifically singles out O'Brien, past Bashir, to be his successor. It's like he looked around and said, "That guy, right there. He looks like the biggest idiot in the room. No one else is dumb enough to pull this off. That's my guy." Poor O'Brien. :(

Despite this episode and "Move Along Home," season one at its worst is still as good as mediocre VOY or TNG. Can't wait to get to the good stuff. I have been watching all of them, but I may have a hard time not skipping "If Wishes Were Horses."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One problem with S1 of DS9 is that the list of episodes that actually get followed up on in future seasons is pretty low. Most of the episodes are stand-alone.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

FlamingLiberal posted:

One problem with S1 of DS9 is that the list of episodes that actually get followed up on in future seasons is pretty low. Most of the episodes are stand-alone.

Sisko kept the clock! I loved that detail, set design in DS9 was usually pretty good (obvious Mac Classic OS interfaces aside).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pieces of Peace posted:

Sisko kept the clock! I loved that detail, set design in DS9 was usually pretty good (obvious Mac Classic OS interfaces aside).

Sisko's baseball is also from season one, If Wishes Were Horses.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I dunno, I think they handled it pretty well.

*Everyone looks at TOS Klingons*
*Everyone looks at Dorn*
"We do not talk about it!"
*No further discussion*

But imagine if they went back in time, and Dorn had no forehead ridges and was dressed in gold lamé

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

FuturePastNow posted:

Terry Farrell also has some bad skin allergies or something and the spots were all she could tolerate. That's why she wasn't part of the episode where they all impersonate Klingons, even though Jadzia would have been the natural choice to send.

For that matter, its why Trills have spots at all instead of the TNG latex forehead thing. You can even find stills of Farrell in the TNG version before her allergies flared up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

Star Trek Discovery is actually the best first season of any star trek show to date, I think you must be confused

Well I'm glad somebody said it. I really wish I could visit the universe where this thread is reacting in realtime to TNG season 1.

"The new Enterprise is too fat! And the warp nacelles are too blue, I don't like when things are different!"
"The new captain is a jerk!"
"So is the first officer and the klingon, everyone's an rear end in a top hat except the boring ones!"
"They killed a main character before season 2, and everyone else is boring or an rear end in a top hat!"
"Picard and Riker iced that mother bug alien instead of talking it into committing suicide in a civilized manner, it's too grimdark and edgy!"
"Troi's powers are stupid and don't make sense, unlike the racial abilities of every previous Star Trek race we've seen (including humans apparently) which weren't dumb or self-contradictory at all!"
"The uniform colors are wrong!"
"The uniforms are ugly, what happened to the classic beauty of shirt-and-pants or maybe-a-hideous-turtleneck"
"The Klingons look different and I don't like when things are different."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think I'd like Discovery way better if they made it just a Mirror Universe series. They went really full-in with that style, I dug it.

I thought it was hilarious when they were talking about Mirror Universe people being more sensitive to light.

1.) Why? Why the gently caress?

2.) Why is the Prime Universe crazy dark, then? They should have no problems.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

VitalSigns posted:

"Troi's powers are stupid and don't make sense
"The uniforms are ugly, what happened to the classic beauty of shirt-and-pants or maybe-a-hideous-turtleneck"

To be fair, these three are valid complaints for season 1

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Railing Kill posted:

Been rewatching DS9. I was stunned at how "The Storyteller" shits all over O'Brien. "Yeah, maybe the dying old man looked around and picked the biggest loser in the room to be his successor just so that the other villagers would realize you're a good Sirah by comparison. Just look at that doughy bastard. God, he sucks. What an rear end." The old gently caress even specifically singles out O'Brien, past Bashir, to be his successor. It's like he looked around and said, "That guy, right there. He looks like the biggest idiot in the room. No one else is dumb enough to pull this off. That's my guy." Poor O'Brien. :(

Isn't that just what O'Brien tells the would-be Sirah just to convince him that he can do it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I just thought the Sirah passed over Bashir because he was racist. Took one look and said "Bring that white guy over here"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Well I'm glad somebody said it. I really wish I could visit the universe where this thread is reacting in realtime to TNG season 1.

"If Wishes Were Strawmen"

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

jng2058 posted:

For that matter, its why Trills have spots at all instead of the TNG latex forehead thing. You can even find stills of Farrell in the TNG version before her allergies flared up.

Isn’t it also Berman (I think?) going “we have a pretty girl, let’s show her off” or something equally inane and 90s mildly sexist.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As a kid I didn't realize people thought Alexander Siddig was not white.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

As a kid I didn't realize people thought Alexander Siddig was not white.

Me either, he seems about as swarthy as your average south Italian or Greek.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Alexander Siddig is pretty white. Siddig Alexander, well, he's a bit dusky, I suppose, but nothing objectionable. Siddig el Fadil is a fairly charismatic Arab fellow, isn't he?

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi, though. Jesus loving wept.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Alexander Siddig is pretty white. Siddig Alexander, well, he's a bit dusky, I suppose, but nothing objectionable. Siddig el Fadil is a fairly charismatic Arab fellow, isn't he?

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi, though. Jesus loving wept.

His uncle is Malcolm McDowell though so he is forever cool in my books.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ben Franklin posted:

All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

"The new Enterprise is too fat! And the warp nacelles are too blue, I don't like when things are different!"
"So is the first officer and the klingon, everyone's an rear end in a top hat except the boring ones!"
"They killed a main character before season 2, and everyone else is boring or an rear end in a top hat!"
"Picard and Riker iced that mother bug alien instead of talking it into committing suicide in a civilized manner, it's too grimdark and edgy!"
"Troi's powers are stupid and don't make sense, unlike the racial abilities of every previous Star Trek race we've seen (including humans apparently) which weren't dumb or self-contradictory at all!"
"The uniform colors are wrong!"
"The Klingons look different and I don't like when things are different."

Go read old posts from alt.scifi.startrektng or whatever newsgroups and you'll find all sorts of stuff like that. Hell, there's nothing like alt.scifi.wesley.die.die.die for Tilly, now, is there?