Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh, he is. He's the 'magical negro' except that he's in his own movie, for once, instead of being a side act in someone else's.
Ebert's review pointed out that Dr. Schultz is the one playing a wizard who comes from nowhere and exists to guide others to their destiny, though he's a more paternalistic figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Variety sources are reporting that Joaquin Phoenix has agreed to be the Joker on the standalone film.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-origin-movie-todd-phillips-1202692188/

...what the gently caress are you doing, WB?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

...what the gently caress are you doing, WB?

hiring a cool actor

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Brother Entropy posted:

hiring a cool actor

But also keeping the old actor?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

But also keeping the old actor?

don't see the problem with that, unless you're someone who didn't like leto's joker

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Brother Entropy posted:

don't see the problem with that, unless you're someone who didn't like leto's joker

I just think having two different actors playing the Joker in different movies from the same studio is weird. It would be like if Octopussy and Never Say Never Again were both put out by MGM/UA.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

lol remember when Bruce Wayne couldnt show up on Smallville because it would have “confused” audiences, with Nolan’s trilogy being in full swing.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If anything, casting Phoenix says to me they'll be looking for a more Heath Ledger edque depiction. At least, Phoenix more resembles Ledger than he does Leto physically.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can see having two concurrent Jokers working. It stinks of WB leaning hard back into something that they know works, but I can't object to a Phoenix Joker.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I just think having two different actors playing the Joker in different movies from the same studio is weird. It would be like if Octopussy and Never Say Never Again were both put out by MGM/UA.

han solo, obi wan, anakin skywalker

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

So I wanna put together a short-list of black superhero movies that I either need to watch or re-watch, let me know if I've left something out:

- The Meteor Man
- Blankman
- Blade 1 - 3
- Up, Up and Away
- Steel
- Hancock

I've already seen Spawn, Pootie Tang, Undercover Brother, Black Dynamite, After Earth, and Suicide Squad.

edit: Forgot Brother from Another Planet and Space is the Place.

Human Tornado.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Brother Entropy posted:

han solo, obi wan, anakin skywalker

Name for me, please, when they cast a new actor for any of those, while continuing to use the other actor in new movies. Each of these was a recast, where the old actor did not come back.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Name for me, please, when they cast a new actor for any of those, while continuing to use the other actor in new movies. Each of these was a recast, where the old actor did not come back.

that seems like a really pedantic distinction

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Brother Entropy posted:

that seems like a really pedantic distinction

Not really. Recasting because you want to go in a different direction, or the actor isn't available, or you want to age up or down the character happens all the time. This is two actors playing the same character, roughly the same age, in concurrent movies. Just seems like an odd move to me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

How do we know it's the same character? are cw flash and dceu flash the same character?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They're just alternate reality versions of Barry Allen, ofc. Batman and Robin is a canon reality somewhere out there in the Multiverse.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah their Barry Allen

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It'd actually be pretty funny if the movie opens with "Gotham Earth 8 - 1985".

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Brother Entropy posted:

How do we know it's the same character? are cw flash and dceu flash the same character?

That double casting is also stupid. Albeit maybe slightly less so since one is film and the other is television.

I like the Bond comparison.

You don’t have two different James Bonds in two different film series coming out simultaneously.

Audiences aren’t complete idiots, but this gives bad optics of WB appearing all over the place with what they want to do and is opening the door to market confusion.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i think you overestimate how much audiences give a poo poo about brand clarity

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DC comics has multiple copies of the same character on the same Earth all the time. Hell, Johns even recently made it so that the main DC Earth's different interpretations of The Joker were actually three different people.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

You don’t have two different James Bonds in two different film series coming out simultaneously.

I'd be surprised if the Todd Phillips Joker movie was in theaters simultaneously with Suicide Squad 2.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Mordiceius posted:

That double casting is also stupid. Albeit maybe slightly less so since one is film and the other is television.

I like the Bond comparison.

Audiences aren’t complete idiots, but this gives bad optics of WB appearing all over the place with what they want to do and is opening the door to market confusion.

It's always funny to me when distressed individuals express their worry through how other people will be confused.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

DC comics has multiple copies of the same character on the same Earth all the time. Hell, Johns even recently made it so that the main DC Earth's different interpretations of The Joker were actually three different people.

having multiple iterations of the same character in different comic lines / universes that don't need to all intersect is a strength of cape comics that have been more or less ignored when it comes to movie adaptations

this only seems weird because it hasn't been done yet for movies

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Give me a movie wth black POTUS Superman, WB.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Broke: Todd Phillips Joker Movie
Woke: Todd Solondz Joker Movie

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oscar Winner Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London, Videodrome, Men in Black and many, many more) has unveiled his take on the Joker for DC's Collectibles.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rick-baker-remakes-joker-halloween-bust-1084759

Curious that this is unveiled when the news about Phoenix hit up. But probably that is just me seeing things. Either way, cool design.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bespoke: Todd Barry Joker movie

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

In this completely tone-deaf page, Spiderman villain Morlun brutally murders the characters from children's cartoon Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. Everything that can happen is happening at all times in Comic Book Multiverses and it's all loving stupid.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Todd Haynes Joker Movie

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DeafNote posted:

clearly the Guardians of the Galaxy need to have a team of six even bigger dysfunctional space travelers as their opponents for GOTG3
and one of them is a badger

Pretty sure this exact thing happened in the I am Groot comic at some point.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

In this completely tone-deaf page, Spiderman villain Morlun brutally murders the characters from children's cartoon Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. Everything that can happen is happening at all times in Comic Book Multiverses and it's all loving stupid.

How many writers have died on the “I can salvage Morlun” hill?

‘Cause it feels like it’s gotta be a higher number than you’d think.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

They drew the line at newspaper strip Spider-Man, though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's awesome

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Didn't he also trash Leopardon? Which is blasphemy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hear Brad Dourif when I read that

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Brother Entropy posted:

having multiple iterations of the same character in different comic lines / universes that don't need to all intersect is a strength of cape comics that have been more or less ignored when it comes to movie adaptations

this only seems weird because it hasn't been done yet for movies

I would much rather see WB/DC go full on into abandoning 'universe' continuity just to see what sorts of stories they can tell when there isn't this pathetic, 'compete with Marvel' endgame. We've already seen what happens with the later - as everyone points out, they produced compromised trash that pleases nobody except on the rare occasion (Wonder Woman) that they're able to attach it to a progressive zeitgeist. Those conditions are never going to be recreated, so the only realistic solution going forward is to cut your losses and try to get closer to that reputation you had, that you only got because you handed the creative reigns to filmmakers who were just trying to tell a compelling story.

Obviously, the actual strategy will be a compromised mixture of the two. With Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad, they have absolutely no reason to not continue with a DC universe strategy, but because they still blame that weirdo Zack Snyder for poisoning the water, even if they do fund more-or-less 'non-canon' projects, they'll be just as risk-averse in trying to micromanage the final product.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I Before E posted:

Todd Haynes Joker Movie

I think Todd Haynes would make a great Harleen Quinzell movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oscar Winner Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London, Videodrome, Men in Black and many, many more) has unveiled his take on the Joker for DC's Collectibles.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rick-baker-remakes-joker-halloween-bust-1084759

Curious that this is unveiled when the news about Phoenix hit up. But probably that is just me seeing things. Either way, cool design.

How about Rick Baker (And his family) as the Joker?

https://cosplay.kotaku.com/killer-joker-cosplay-courtesy-of-a-hollywood-legend-1739934115

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I like Baker a lot, but I’m not feeling this. It looks like something from the music video for Genesis’ Land Of Confusion.