Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

ryde posted:

Silverbugs tend to believe that silver is undervalued compared to gold.

Don't they believe this because of the Silver Thursday debacle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

I would like to see someone carry off a 600 lb chunk of silver.

As a bonus you could even chain your motorcycle to it.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

BigDave posted:

Don't they believe this because of the Silver Thursday debacle?

They believe there's market manipulation in play regarding silver prices. Goldbugs & Silverbugs are usually well-meaning folks, but there's a lot of uh, conspiracy theorists in the mix.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You’d sell the whole thing for $75K to some other criminal and be done with it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

hailthefish posted:

As a bonus you could even chain your motorcycle to it.

Woah there, let’s roll that wheelbarrow of silver rock back to the crappy construction thread! It’s not even concrete!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

the talent deficit posted:

i lost almost all of my friends and had most of my familial relationships strained when a startup i was an early employee at raised money at a crazy number. everyone just assumed i was secretly sitting on like 20 mil, at least. at the time my options were worth around $170k but i wasn't fully vested and they weren't liquid at all. i ended up clearing just over $20k when they finally exited. maybe all those friends and most of my family were actually just lovely all along, but never underestimate how money can gently caress everything up

I've never been at a start-up, but when someone explained to me how all the ways you can be offered stock that's not actually stock and is practically worthless-- holy poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Ads for silver bugs think it’s like 15x undervalued. The thing is, silver wouldn’t leap from $15/ounce to $200/ounce without some serious poo poo going on in the world. Like yay, you just make a lot of money. Nay, the world economy is collapsing because if loving silver is now $200/ounce, then gas is now $8 a gallon and you probably can’t afford the catheters you need that are advertised on the same channel the silver coins are hawked on.

The idea that anything is underpriced is kind of silly. If silver really was going to jump like that Warren Buffet would be clad in an all-silver jumpsuit shining like a glorious vision.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Blinkman987 posted:

I've never been at a start-up, but when someone explained to me how all the ways you can be offered stock that's not actually stock and is practically worthless-- holy poo poo.

there are twoish startuplands

one for stanford, berkeley, mit, cmu, and harvard kids, who have good vc's who are basically honest because they can be because they're flinging around lunch money (<5 million to them, lol) to kids for 5% and legitimately wish them well and stuff

and then the other one

clinkle guy, for example, raised 500k at a time from his dad's friends despite being bona fide from stanford because all the vaguely niceish vc's were like, "lol, this guy's scum"

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

BattleMoose posted:

Its actually super weird the type of coins the Perth Mint sells.

I like how like half of these are targeted at the Chinese.

Know your market I guess. :shrug:

And then they were like "well what are white austrailians into?" "Uhhh pop culture and koalas? "

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Butcher posted:

And then they were like "well what are white austrailians into?" "Uhhh pop culture and koalas? "

Is there a home renovation reality TV competition commemorative silver coin for the Australian market?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My truck equity really demolished my budget!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

The Butcher posted:

Complaining, pretending to have fashionable illnesses (EG: celiacs) that they don't, binge drinking and being OUTRAGED (TM) about minor civics.

Source: I am a white Australian.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 15, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Butcher posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

I think they're also targeting nerds. To be honest, I'm kinda tempted, some of those look neat. Something to go with my lapis lazuli dice set.

With all the Disney stuff they have, I'm rather disappointed there's no Scrooge McDuck themed coins that I can find.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 15, 2018

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Blinkman987 posted:

Yeah in my experience the options take ages to vest, you have to exercise them while you're still at the company or they are void, and you can't exercise the options in a blackout period or have material information which seems to be pretty much all the time. And of course the shares have to have gone up in value significantly to make it worthwhile. Not very GWM.

e: this is quite a big startup.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 15, 2018

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
Apparently the young couple who sold everything to buy a boat that sunk has raised $15,000. 50% return on their investment is GWM.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Did they pay for wreck removal or destruction yet?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
What makes you think they're gonna spend their last $15,000 on removing that dumb old boat from the waterway

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

What makes you think they're gonna spend their last $15,000 on removing that dumb old boat from the waterway

Because the government said they had to

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Blinkman987 posted:

The thing is unless you’re a founder, you should be treating it like beer money. Also, number of shares is not the most interesting number with options- percentage of outstanding shares is.

Ultimately, ask yourself if what you’re learning working there and getting paid less than your market rate is worth it.

LOL @ schmucks that accept “100000 shares in options” and a $35k/yr paycheck.

Jan 11, 2004

Photex posted:

Because the government said they had to

What makes you think these free spirited youngsters are going to do what the government tells them they are supposed to do with their last $15,000? They are gonna have to find that money in a bank account somewhere, and maybe even an address where they actually live to serve them with papers, and they have about oh, I say 6 weeks to decide to do that for that money is long gone spent on "life experiences"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

What makes you think these free spirited youngsters are going to do what the government tells them they are supposed to do with their last $15,000? They are gonna have to find that money in a bank account somewhere, and maybe even an address where they actually live to serve them with papers, and they have about oh, I say 6 weeks to decide to do that for that money is long gone spent on "life experiences"

They'll spend it all on another boat and the Coast Guard will never find them because they'll be dead.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah in my experience the options take ages to vest, you have to exercise them while you're still at the company or they are void, and you can't exercise the options in a blackout period or have material information which seems to be pretty much all the time. And of course the shares have to have gone up in value significantly to make it worthwhile. Not very GWM.

e: this is quite a big startup.

BWM: Not reading the fine print carefully and realizing you have ISO options which have huge tax benefits if you're not in AMT land. You can exercise them into shares all you want after vest, but disposing of the shares if you are a public company does have very specific guidelines.
Also BWM: Pretending they are worth something before they are worth something.
Further BWM: Insisting on RSU's because "You know better than to take those ISO Options like suckers!" and getting non-qualified cap gains based on FMV at vesting.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
My mom, a recent retiree and person with a long decorated history of losing money in MLM schemes, is now telling me that she's taking a Udemy course on making money from cryptocurrency.

I loving give up. She is in this perpetual cycle of jumping in and out of MLM schemes, and part of the problem lies with the fact that all of her friends are susceptible to it. I've spent years trying to dissuade her from them, but then she just finds another to get suckered by once one of her friends "discovers" something new. :suicide:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 15, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

My mom, a recent retiree and person with a long decorated history of losing money in MLM schemes, is now telling me that she's taking a Udemy course on making money from cryptocurrency.

I loving give up. She is in this perpetual cycle of jumping in and out of MLM schemes, and part of the problem lies with the fact that all of her friends are susceptible to it. I've spent years trying to dissuade her from then, but then she just finds another to get suckered by once one of her friends "discovers" something new. :suicide:

Did she at least buy the course during on of their 10 dollar sales?

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Yep. I know some people that have become stuck working for companies they dislike because they have ISOs that have increased in value a ton while being completely illiquid. So they can't exercise them and they can't sell. Not the worst problem, but there are a million potential gotchas.

Jan 11, 2004

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Yep. I know some people that have become stuck working for companies they dislike because they have ISOs that have increased in value a ton while being completely illiquid. So they can't exercise them and they can't sell. Not the worst problem, but there are a million potential gotchas.

Being imprisoned in a job by stock options and/or the tax implications of stock options is exactly where startup employers would like you to be rather than at a competitor job you like better making more money.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

melon cat posted:

I loving give up. She is in this perpetual cycle of jumping in and out of MLM schemes, and part of the problem lies with the fact that all of her friends are susceptible to it. I've spent years trying to dissuade her from them, but then she just finds another to get suckered by once one of her friends "discovers" something new. :suicide:

Flip this around to GWM by being the first one to discover the new things then selling to her market?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Is it likely for a bank to stop paying interest on a savings account if I ask?

redditor posted:

I'm thinking about switching over to Alliant Credit Union, but when I open a savings account, I don't want to earn interest on the money in there (I'm Muslim and taking interest is Haram). Are banks known to be able to do this or am I gonna have to look for a savings account that generates no income or just open another checking and treat it as a savings?

Not sure how I've never heard of this before, but how do Muslims save money or retire? Do financial institutions in Muslim countries pocket all of that interest money themselves? GWM move for them if so.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This is going to go well.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If they want savings without interest just open a checking account?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
If returns are harem, why isn't crypto more popular in the middle east?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Teeter posted:

Not sure how I've never heard of this before, but how do Muslims save money or retire? Do financial institutions in Muslim countries pocket all of that interest money themselves? GWM move for them if so.

There are “it’s not interest wink wink” accounts in Muslim majority countries. I’m not sure how they work, but they dance around it to make them halal while still being able to loan money.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Teeter posted:

There's an entire niche market of loophole-exploiting Muslim-friendly financial products. Check this out: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/06/the-city-that-offers-sharia-compliant-loans-to-muslim-business-owners/431079/

The long and the short of it is that a muslim-compliant loan buys the asset from whoever the real seller is, and resells it to the Muslim immediately for a markup (this is essentially the interest, paid entirely up front) and the Muslim makes equal payments at 0% interest. I guess for loans, it looks like you get a $40k loan, and the bank keeps $2k or $3k of it or whatever and you pay back 40 equal payments of $1k. You have paid no interest, technically.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I’m on mobile so I can’t find/link it, but Planet Money did a cool podcast about a smaller US bank making Muslim-friendly loans and mortgages.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Inescapable Duck posted:

With all the Disney stuff they have, I'm rather disappointed there's no Scrooge McDuck themed coins that I can find.
I would pay plenty over the bullion price for a Scrooge McDuck silver dime.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I would pay plenty over the bullion price for a Scrooge McDuck silver dime.

I'd be surprised if you can't get one of those directly from the Mouse at one of the gift shops.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Teeter posted:

At the bank and brokerage I work for, a signed letter will do. We can even do it retroactively!

.35% isn't really worth going to hell for, if you believe that way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Schwab eh?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

blackmet posted:

At the bank and brokerage I work for, a signed letter will do. We can even do it retroactively!

.35% isn't really worth going to hell for, if you believe that way.

Haram is haram, mang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

There's an entire niche market of loophole-exploiting Muslim-friendly financial products. Check this out: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/06/the-city-that-offers-sharia-compliant-loans-to-muslim-business-owners/431079/

The long and the short of it is that a muslim-compliant loan buys the asset from whoever the real seller is, and resells it to the Muslim immediately for a markup (this is essentially the interest, paid entirely up front) and the Muslim makes equal payments at 0% interest. I guess for loans, it looks like you get a $40k loan, and the bank keeps $2k or $3k of it or whatever and you pay back 40 equal payments of $1k. You have paid no interest, technically.

You can also do VC (mudarabah), cost plus pricing (murabahah) and weirdo equity thingies (sukuk), and plain equity stuff in halal companies