Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Uh the obvious solution is you tell your girlfriends, set them up, and split da money 50/50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Uh the obvious solution is you tell your girlfriends, set them up, and split da money 50/50

Just make an OKCupid profile with his most flattering picture and a bunch of lies on it, get him as many first dates as possible, tell him they're all your "friends," and keep the money for yourself IMO

Get a tidy little business going

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

loquacius posted:

Just make an OKCupid profile with his most flattering picture and a bunch of lies on it, get him as many first dates as possible, tell him they're all your "friends," and keep the money for yourself IMO

Get a tidy little business going

That’s the entrepreneurial spirit we should all aspire to. :capitalism:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

loquacius posted:

How was it in 2010 though
Not great, AFAIK.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (27m) best friend and best man (28m) has vowed he's going to say "one ring to rule them all!" when presenting the rings at the alter. My fiancé (26f) has forbidden it. He's going to do it anyways. What do I do?

He should do this, with the sound cranked up to 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRzVYYESyv4&t=86s

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Power Khan posted:

He should do this, with the sound cranked up to 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRzVYYESyv4&t=86s
Bonus points if the minister reacts like Elrond.

All of the points if someone dims the lights when he does it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (27m) best friend and best man (28m) has vowed he's going to say "one ring to rule them all!" when presenting the rings at the alter. My fiancé (26f) has forbidden it. He's going to do it anyways. What do I do?

I know this is a stupid question. I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time on it. But I feel like I'm caught between my best friend of 25 years and the woman I love more than anything.

Basically it goes like this, my best friend has said that when the minister asks for my ring he's going to hold it over his head and loudly proclaim "ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL!" thinking he's going to get a big laugh. I've told him not to and since we sort of joke with each other every single minute of the day, I know there's nothing I can do to make him not do it and the more I moan about it, the more he's going to seal his position.

Well he got drunk last weekend while we were out and told my fiancé about his plan. She was pretty buzzed and it started out with "Brian please don't that would embarrass the crap out of me." He basically said I know. She started to get more and more scared (and drank more) and basically screamed at him and shook him by his collar and said "Brian goddamnit if you do this I will loving kill you." Which is exactly the reaction Brian was going for.

Well the problem didn't end when everyone sobered up. She's sending him texts with all the reasons he can't embarrass her at her own wedding. He's screencapping the texts and editing them with things like "does she think I care? I want to embarrass her!" and then sends them to me.

I honestly don't know what to do. Brian is going to do this no matter what. If I expel him from the Bridal party he's going to show up in the back of the church and scream it out. But at the same time, I want my fiancé to have her dream wedding and I know LOTR references were never part of the fantasy. But at the same time, I have zero doubts that Brian's joke will bomb horribly and he'll be standing there looking like a fool so maybe the best lesson is just to let him go ahead. But my fiancé may literally get so mad she may run out.

What the hell do I do here?

tl;dr: My best friend wants to yell out "one ring to rule them all!" when he hands my ring to the minister at my wedding. My fiancé has forbidden it but he's going to do it anyways. What do I do?

lol wtf "heh here's a thought i'll let my 'friend' humiliate himself by ruining my wedding so he stops pulling these childish pranks!"

like at first i thought "oh sounds like brian's basically bullying the OP" but turns out the OP is also hosed in the head and will probably have a lovely marriage anyway because he's fundamentally unable to address interpersonal issues

that said the dude's completely overlooking the fact that he could do almost anything to brian to keep him away from the wedding (get him so drunk he's incapacitated, drive him out to the middle of nowhere and ditch him, lock him in a room/car trunk) and then pass it off as "it was just a prank, bro!!"

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I have seen references to this before but what is the etymology? What's it referencing exactly because it sounds hilarious

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/jo-buds-2/5/

Also nobody on the internet, including many goons, ever saw the front page article so thought it was a real ad. Tosh.0 even quoted it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wait the imitation crab meat story is a goon creation? That's...kinda sad even if it's also awesome.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
It's pretty great that we're now fooling ourselves with our own photoshops. Like a lil troll time capsule

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wait the imitation crab meat story is a goon creation? That's...kinda sad even if it's also awesome.

Yeah. I ruin the magic every chance I get because Dr. Thorpe and Jon Hundred deserve credit for coming up with those ads. I feel goons should be in the know.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Bored posted:

Yeah. I ruin the magic every chance I get because Dr. Thorpe and Jon Hundred deserve credit for coming up with those ads. I feel goons should be in the know.

The best thing Dr. Thorpe ever did was go on G4 (I think?) and say during an interview that SA was just a page for monster truck enthusiasts and diet pill sales.

E: Found the video, https://youtu.be/NdUHDDj7fhk

Skutter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 15, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Basically it goes like this, my best friend has said that when the minister asks for my ring he's going to hold it over his head and loudly proclaim "ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL!" thinking he's going to get a big laugh. I've told him not to and since we sort of joke with each other every single minute of the day, I know there's nothing I can do to make him not do it and the more I moan about it, the more he's going to seal his position.

Uh okay pick someone else to be the best man. Go up to him and say "in all seriousness, if you insist on doing that poo poo I'm going to have to have someone else be the best man. Please consider that the wedding isn't about you or even me it is about my fiance and I as a couple and you're legit going to wreck her wedding day for a cheap laugh?"

And if that upsets him then you know for sure you should replace him because he's a little bitch boy anyway.

Fiance should dump this lack of spine having rear end 'cuz lol.

quote:

If I expel him from the Bridal party he's going to show up in the back of the church and scream it out.

pf no he won't dude. If that really bothers you hire a couple security dudes and give them his picture. It's what a few hundred bucks on top of the expense of a wedding? Drop in the bucket.

e:

quote:

Well the problem didn't end when everyone sobered up. She's sending him texts with all the reasons he can't embarrass her at her own wedding. He's screencapping the texts and editing them with things like "does she think I care? I want to embarrass her!" and then sends them to me.

Sounds like he should nix this dumbass anyway why is he the best man to begin with?

Does she think you care? Uh. It's her wedding day and if you have any kind of friendship with her or her future husband you should care and if you don't you're a piece of poo poo.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 15, 2018

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Topical idea: Groom has friendzoned the best man. Best Man has been pining for him and is hoping this stunt will be The Thing that shows the groom that he is truly the one for him, not that bitchy fiancée who can’t take a joke anyways.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I know this is a stupid question. I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time on it. But I feel like I'm caught between my best friend of 25 years and the woman I love more than anything.

Well he got drunk last weekend while we were out and told my fiancé about his plan. She was pretty buzzed and it started out with "Brian please don't that would embarrass the crap out of me." He basically said I know. She started to get more and more scared (and drank more) and basically screamed at him and shook him by his collar and said "Brian goddamnit if you do this I will loving kill you." Which is exactly the reaction Brian was going for.

I honestly don't know what to do. Brian is going to do this no matter what. If I expel him from the Bridal party he's going to show up in the back of the church and scream it out. But at the same time, I want my fiancé to have her dream wedding and I know LOTR references were never part of the fantasy. But at the same time, I have zero doubts that Brian's joke will bomb horribly and he'll be standing there looking like a fool so maybe the best lesson is just to let him go ahead. But my fiancé may literally get so mad she may run out.

What the hell do I do here?

tl;dr: My best friend wants to yell out "one ring to rule them all!" when he hands my ring to the minister at my wedding. My fiancé has forbidden it but he's going to do it anyways. What do I do?

I'm on the bus and can't be arsed to post them, but I strongly recommend everyone finds this story and reads OPs responses to commenters because wowee he's a big spineless piece of poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Werong Bustope posted:

I'm on the bus and can't be arsed to post them, but I strongly recommend everyone finds this story and reads OPs responses to commenters because wowee he's a big spineless piece of poo poo.

quote:

Shes freaking out about every little detail. I mean she cried over napkins yesterday. I think "the joke" is just another tiny little thing amongst others.

bro

what the gently caress? "Well she's super wigging out about napkins so maybe ruining the ceremony in front of all our friends and family is fine?"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god this guy. This marriage is ending in divorce I'm callin it now.

quote:

I cant not have him in my wedding. I just can't but i'm looking for advice on how to make everyone happy.

why don't you suck his dick and be done with it then

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Moridin920 posted:

Oh my god this guy. This marriage is ending in divorce I'm callin it now.

Or murder-suicide.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

listen if i go ten minutes without referencing pop culture i will die. you've known this about me for years.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Listen i've known the guy my whole life, 25 years of friendship! He's earned the right to ruin at least one of my weddings!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If I choose to get married I will not participate in the planning in any way. I will be worse than useless: Minutes after I propose I will enter a medically induced coma and have myself revived fully dressed at the altar after someone else reads the vows they wrote for me.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

maskenfreiheit posted:

My mom [53F] and my sister [15F] got in an argument this morning and then my mom started sobbing and screaming[new] (self.relationships)

:stare:

that poor dad.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't understand why he didn't immediately drop his rear end in a top hat "friend" as soon as he started talking about this stupid bullshit. It's not he's contractually obligated to be in the wedding and there's probably like 9 brothers or cousins willing to step in as best man. What is the point in dragging this out?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He says in the post he thinks if he fires the idiot, he'll show up and make a scene anyway

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I don't understand why he didn't immediately drop his rear end in a top hat "friend" as soon as he started talking about this stupid bullshit. It's not he's contractually obligated to be in the wedding and there's probably like 9 brothers or cousins willing to step in as best man. What is the point in dragging this out?
Because "we've been friends for N years!" is a sticking point for a lot of people in the same way "we've been dating for X years!" is. One of my friends got straight up kidnapped by his so-called "oldest friend" and he didn't boot him because thy had known each other for some pile of years. A lot of people will put up with a disturbing amount of abuse and destruction over the misguided ideal of having "life-long pals".

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

He says in the post he thinks if he fires the idiot, he'll show up and make a scene anyway

you can hire a police officer to do security for your private event for a small fee. (be sure to tip extra if he tazes your crazy wedding crasher)

Yawgmoth posted:

Because "we've been friends for N years!" is a sticking point for a lot of people in the same way "we've been dating for X years!" is. One of my friends got straight up kidnapped by his so-called "oldest friend" and he didn't boot him because thy had known each other for some pile of years. A lot of people will put up with a disturbing amount of abuse and destruction over the misguided ideal of having "life-long pals".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Someone asked him outright which person was more important to him, his fiancé or his best friend. He answered that they were equally important. Either a troll or he’s secretly in love with him.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Zil posted:

Or murder-suicide.

Double homicide. Now.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Jfc

random redditor posted:

I’m not sure why you’re even here honestly. Everyone is giving you the same advice and you’re dead set on defending your friend. It’s clear where your priorities lie, and it’s not with your fiancée.

op posted:

I was hoping people could tell me how to make them both happy, I guess that isn't possible.

random redditor posted:

As long as your friend continues to be unreasonable, no it won’t be an option.

random redditor 2 posted:

How can both be happy, if one person's happiness is dependent on the misery of the other person?

op posted:

good point, as I'm finding out.

What I don't understand is why your immediate reaction isn't to protect your fiancee from pain.

op posted:

It is but I can't not have Brian in my wedding. It just isn't possible. We've been through thick and thin together. We are closer than brothers.

Time to make a choice. You can't trust him to not ruin your marriage.

You can't trust him to not humiliate your wife in front of every person who is important to you both.

You can't trust him.

I submit you care more about him than he does about you because he's willing to do this despite knowing it would cause damage and pain.

You need to reevaluate this seriously.

op posted:

What do you want me to say?

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

quote:

[–]marriedinmayxyz[S] [score hidden] 23 minutes ago
I've tried to be helpful but she doesn't really like my ideas, I think she wants it more formal where as I would like it informal (i.e. shrimp and cream cheese crepes vs a 10 foot long party sub)

[–]_Z_E_R_O [score hidden] 22 minutes ago
A 10 foot party sub? I get that it’s cheaper and some people want a casual wedding, but ideally this is the only wedding you’ll ever have. If there was ever a time to splurge on a single event, it’s now.

[–]marriedinmayxyz[S] [score hidden] 20 minutes ago
yeah, as I found out. It's why I've been demoted from planning to "just be there on time."

Why the gently caress is the bride still marrying this guy? Jesus Christ.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

Tell the ushers to turn him away from the door. If he refuses to listen, call the cops. Simple.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
He's the larval form of the sitcom dad.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Skutter posted:

Me at 95% of weddings

Caganer posted:

you can hire a police officer to do security for your private event for a small fee. (be sure to tip extra if he tazes your crazy wedding crasher)
You can get security and he should, but that poo poo is not cheap. He's dumb and wrong, I'm just giving you the explanation he gave

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Skutter posted:

Sunk cost fallacy.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Why do I suspect he wants to go on a honeymoon with Brian?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Make a preemptive strike and just have the whole wedding be Star Wars themed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Guys tell me the magic words to say to make this difficult situation just go away without upsetting anyone or making me do any emotional work!!!

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I [21F] discovered the kind of person my deceased sister [23F] really wasNon-Romantic (self.relationships)

quote:

My sister and I were best friends. She was my entire world. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t first go to her with my problems, and when she wasn’t happy and ready to listen. There were some days when I couldn’t go on without talking to her. Not to be too cheesy, but she was my rock. I loved my sister with my whole heart. She was always very private, and didn’t share a lot with me, but I was told to respect that want. She loved me, and I knew we were close. We had a bond. She was my role model. She’d volunteer on the weekends, donate to charity, and was just an awesome person. My sister passed away last week, and it was insanely hard to process. My parents asked me to go and sort her possessions, and even though it felt hard, I agreed because I knew she wouldn’t want anybody else doing it.

I, of course, became somewhat of a snoop. I mean, I knew it was wrong, but I wanted to know something about my sister. Her laptop was out on the coffee table, and I just had to look at it! Her password was easy to guess, and I got lucky. She had her messages synced to her laptop, so I went through them. Again, bad thing to do. I shouldn’t have done it. But I did it, and I wish I never did. She was blackmailing her ex with his nudes, threatening to leak them if he didn’t give her the dog they’d bought together. She was harassing a woman at her work, trying to force her to quit. She also claimed to having an affair with her married boss and the head of their HR department, so if she went to either of them, she would just get them to fire her. It was horrible. In her conversations with her friends, she would bully and make fun of them, then turn around and act like their friend. She would make fun of me and our parents, post pictures of me and describe everything wrong with me. If I told her something, it got back to her friends and they would pile on and insult me. She made catfish profiles on dating apps. She made fake accounts on numerous websites to bully a girl from her high school (she still lived in our hometown- I found the list of accounts in her computer’s notes). It was horrific. I felt like I was looking at a stranger’s computer.

I don’t know how to process it. This isn’t half as hard as dealing with her death, but it just feels like such a sucker punch and I don’t know how to deal. I’m planning to seek therapy, but just some slightly urgent help might be useful. How do I feel... Okay about this? How do I reconcile the image of my angel sister with this? What should my next steps be?

TL;DR: I found out that my deceased sister is a bully, a blackmailer, and just an overall not very kind person.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Baronjutter posted:

Guys tell me the magic words to say to make this difficult situation just go away without upsetting anyone or making me do any emotional work!!!

Brian, would you marry me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I assumed he was the type of guy who basically said "whatever you want babe" whenever his fiancee asked him a question until she finally had a mental breakdown from all the stress, but he's somehow worse than that. A ten foot party sub, Jesus Christ.