Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
My dream project would be to do a live-action Macross Plus, I can't imagine it would even be particularly difficult to do. :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AlternateAccount posted:

My dream project would be to do a live-action Macross Plus, I can't imagine it would even be particularly difficult to do. :[

They're already making Top Gun 2, though?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

They're already making Top Gun 2, though?

The pilots on top gun are gay for each other. Macross pilots are gay for there planes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sazabi posted:

The pilots on top gun are gay for each other. Macross pilots are gay for there planes.

Suddenly Guld thinking happy thoughts about blowing up Dyson and his gun going off has new connotations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sazabi posted:

And dance-pop music.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7PbWr_cMac

I don't care what you goons say about floaty jagers my rear end is in that IMAX seat day loving one

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trailer would be so much better with the theme goddamnit.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I love how these PR2 trailers just have like no idea when to end. It's like: music drop, big moment, trailer line; pause---music drop, big moment, trailer line; pause--for two belabored minutes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Visual gags that were funny in the first movie generally aren't when they're directly reused in the second. Nothing in these trailers looks like it has weight, everything seems to be made of paper mache and cheap plastic.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Good. Super robots should be super, dangit. The first movie pretty much died for me on account of the action being so boring.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Trailer made me thought of a long videogame cutscene and I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Good. Super robots should be super, dangit. The first movie pretty much died for me on account of the action being so boring.

You're weird. Well, of course you're weird - you're on these forums. But like, extra weird.

Anyway, this is the first trailer that actually makes me somewhat interested in the movie. But the lack of weight still sucks. A giant million ton robot doing a parkour wall jump off of a skyscraper? Sure, why not.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Says you and my ex!

In theory I have no problem with "weighty" robots. I fuckin' love the fights in Big O, for example. But it's all in how you film it and PR1 loses me by being too murky in its lighting and color---what's actually going on is almost always half-obscured. Like you know the old adage, "show don't tell"---well this is actually taking that too far. Like, I get it, the robots are heavy, you don't need another pickup shot of waves to tell me something really heavy is wading through the ocean, okay? Get on with it!
The actual good way to do this is in Godzilla (2014) where you have a ton of focus on these "side effects," like you see godzilla's tail whip around and then the focus is on a building falling over---but it remains dynamic and doesn't let the tension die.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's a line between that and this movie's approach of everything being treated like cheap plastic toys. Whip mech lashing the gribbly only for the gribbly to whip it around like a wrecking ball because those pilots have no understanding of weight and mass ratios? Sure, great, but the shot treats whip mech like it's weightless and the buildings are made of plywood. There's no oomph to the impacts or sense that the mech is a really heavy object, to name one example.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I think if the jaeger being whipped around by the kaiju looked like it stuttered or had any resistance at all that would be nice, but I'm a little interested in seeing the jaegers evolve into more maneuverable mecha compared to the slow and plodding jaegers of the first movie. I am stoked for wide shots of Jaegers and Kaijus turning a city into a rubble pile though, wide shots of the action were not common in the first film.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Wait until you have the IMAX sound system to accompany the visuals as opposed to watching it on a monitor with headphones

John Boyega is fun to watch and I already bought a ticket based on the trailer I saw a couple of years ago called "Pacific Rim"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm not sure what to make of this thread's hyper-focus on the fine details of how the effects create an illusion of momentum. It's the emotional context that matters in the end - but, I suppose, the trailers haven't shown much of that aspect. (And trailers always lie.)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Penpal posted:

Wait until you have the IMAX sound system to accompany the visuals as opposed to watching it on a monitor with headphones

When you watch a video of a crane falling over, it doesn't suddenly turn into a Tonka toy with the sound off.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

935 posted:

I don't care what you goons say about floaty jagers my rear end is in that IMAX seat day loving one

They still haven't figured out how awkward and cringe it is to have Tupac playing during a big monster vs. robot movie trailer three times in a row.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

viral spiral posted:

They still haven't figured out how awkward and cringe it is to have Tupac playing during a big monster vs. robot movie trailer three times in a row.

It's not as good as the theme from the original but it's getting me hyped. :shrug:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I felt like the robots in the new trailer moved a bit more like the ones in the first movie, albeit somewhat more agile like the kicking off a skyscraper move. Makes sense since it seems to take place some time after PR1. Seems rad enough although I don’t like how much was shown in that trailer, I guess people had doubts that were getting heard. I hope they bring back that Japanese kaiju mascot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

viral spiral posted:

People liked it the first time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like anything else, how good a giant robot looks in action is choreography and context. I think we've learned enough times that trailers seem to try to misrepresent the movie as much as possible nowadays.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Taintrunner posted:

I felt like the robots in the new trailer moved a bit more like the ones in the first movie, albeit somewhat more agile like the kicking off a skyscraper move. Makes sense since it seems to take place some time after PR1. Seems rad enough although I don’t like how much was shown in that trailer, I guess people had doubts that were getting heard. I hope they bring back that Japanese kaiju mascot.

I agree that they showed a bit too much. They should've had more of Charlie Day's antics, focus on the actors that carried over from the first film because the people that liked the first movie will recognize them. Instead, they pulled the same stunt as the trailer for the first film where we see the big beefy Jager get rekt by that superKaiju. In PR1 it was Cherno Alpha getting gangraped by the two kaiju shown in the trailer, and in this one it is the beefy Jager getting his head chomped and his arms ripped apart.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

People liked it the first time

This piece of poo poo is going to flop.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It still feels like Charlie Day is the villain.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Mordiceius posted:

:woop: THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! :woop:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Mordiceius posted:

*Always Sunny font* “Newt Summons a Kaiju”

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

*Always Sunny font* “Newt Summons a Kaiju”

:v: "Ok, that didn't work, time for plan B!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They need to built a quirky science Jeager for the scientist guys, they have Drift experience.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Inescapable Duck posted:

They need to built a quirky science Jeager for the scientist guys, they have Drift experience.

There’s a lot of fan speculation on this, I think the best-known one is named “Occam’s Razor” which is an amazing Jaeger name.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

935 posted:

Yeah, I was pretty cynical about the first few trailers and how the film was looking like kinda cheap bunk, but man that trailer has me pumped for the movie now.

I managed to catch the first one in IMAX because there happened to be one 10 min from where I lived and I think I might give it the extra 50 min to get there now to see big robots punch big monsters. Sure it's silly and dumb, but sure does look like fun.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

There’s a lot of fan speculation on this, I think the best-known one is named “Occam’s Razor” which is an amazing Jaeger name.

Its main attack is going to be asking the Kaiju riddles like the main character from 'Mafia.'

"Wait, wait - before you crush my head and annihilate this city, let me ask you one question: two mothers and two daughters go out for dinner, but they ask only for a table for three - how can this be?"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dah da dah da da dah
Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun
Dah da dah da da dah

*oil tanker to the face*

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Dah da dah da da dah
Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun
Dah da dah da da dah

*oil tanker to the face*

BOWwowwowwowwowowowow

*some guy in the Jager* :byodood: "LETS DO THIS!"
Jager jumps up and punches monster

Charlie Day: *completely out of context* "THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!
*Burn Gorman fist pumps for no discernable reason*

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
If nothing else, that trailer confirmed what I'd guessed/figured out from the Robot Damashii toys that have been shown at various toy shows for a while: Titan Redeemer wasn't shown at all until the trailer before this one showing a very brief, like 2-3 second shot of it in a hanger and this trailer shows it eating poo poo. Bracer Phoenix is wielding Titan Redeemer's flail in the big set piece battle they keep showing off, and this trailer just confirmed the missing step between "Titan Redeemer's toy has a big flail as its only real feature, isn't in the trailers so far, but Bracer Phoenix is running around with the flail " that was pretty easy to guess. The rest are there, though so I guess they decided they only needed one of then to get chumped to establish the threat this time and chose the one that's the most boring. Even Obsidian Fury, the evil black version of the hero that every robot anime needs, seems to make it to that city set piece and I think one of the trailers even shows it attacking a/the kaiju.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Yeah that's the one thing I'm hopeful they do better than the first one. Is having other suits put up a fight. Or give them more than one gimmick before getting killed within the first minute of a fight. Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon deserved so much better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sazabi posted:

Yeah that's the one thing I'm hopeful they do better than the first one. Is having other suits put up a fight. Or give them more than one gimmick before getting killed within the first minute of a fight. Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon deserved so much better.

And, if the mechs have to be zippy and jumpy now, we had better see a mech suplex a kaiju in this movie. A flying piledriver would also be acceptable.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Sazabi posted:

Once again toy spoilers: Everyone else they've shown as a toy so far is in that big set piece battle. Gipsy Avenger, Bracer Phoenix, Guardian Bravo, Saber Athena, and Obsidian Fury. Titan Redeemer seems to be the only one that gets chumped and Bracer Phoenix inherits the goofy gigantic flail that is its only gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

At least the robots HQ this time looks interesting and portrays scale. A bigger hanger from the first film was loving stupid.

"Look at how colossal these robots are! ...And this hanger."

• Locked thread