Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22451877/larry-fitzgerald-return-arizona-cardinals-2018

Larry's coming back, so there's a tiny flicker of hope. But not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
SEAHAWKS, sign SEABASS, thanks in advance

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

shirts and skins posted:

SEAHAWKS, sign SEABASS, thanks in advance

Really, the fact that they haven't already makes me very discouraged

He'd be the only reason we put up any points at all next season

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Manoueverable posted:

Best OG in the first, best RB in the third, new OL coach, new OC.

Full hearts, can't lose, etc.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Manoueverable posted:

You know we still have Russell Wilson, a really really good QB, right?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Not sure how brag worthy the second best qb in the west is.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Best OG in the first, best RB in the third, new OL coach, new OC.

Full hearts, can't lose, etc.

Peachfart posted:

You know we still have Russell Wilson, a really really good QB, right?

I'm sorry y'all, you'll never convince me we'll win anything more than gently caress-all with Brian Schottenheimer as our OC

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah, actual critical thinking about Brian doesn’t have a sunny outlook. But I can see some plausible, if unlikely, positive outcomes. A halfway decent OL and or Run game opens up even more opportunity for Wilson bullshit magic.

Defense should be dope through.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Defense should be dope through.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Last year half the players on D missed the season to injuries - our premiere elite players. Plus we had a lovely DC. Still managed to be the 11th best D.

2018 D should be good to go :)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Two of your guys might literally never play again and there's almost no chance Sherman is Sherman right after an Achilles tear

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Spoeank posted:

Two of your guys might literally never play again and there's almost no chance Sherman is Sherman right after an Achilles tear

Those two guys literally didn't play last year. The 2017 defense was still the 11th best defense. That's without Sherman, so having Sherman back (even <100%) is still going to make it better. Plus CB Griffin looks like a young stud in the making.

Like I'm not saying it's going to be the best D in the league. But they were decimated by injuries and young in 2017. There's basically no way the 2018 defense is worse.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Kam played in 9 games and Avril in 4 do not gaslight me into not spitting on your defenses grave bub

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Those two guys literally didn't play last year. The 2017 defense was still the 11th best defense. That's without Sherman, so having Sherman back (even <100%) is still going to make it better. Plus CB Griffin looks like a young stud in the making.

Like I'm not saying it's going to be the best D in the league. But they were decimated by injuries and young in 2017. There's basically no way the 2018 defense is worse.

I'd have to look it up but I thought if anything we were one of the oldest defenses in the league last season

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

Sherman beat a drug test once, I have faith he can do it again.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Manoueverable posted:

I'd have to look it up but I thought if anything we were one of the oldest defenses in the league last season

I don't have weighted averages to compare across teams but...

At start of 2018 Season. Assuming Kam and Cliff Avril don't come back.

DB's:
Sherman: 30
Griffin: 23
Thomas: 29
McDougald: 27 *

DL:
Bennett: 32
Reed: 25
Richardson: 27
Clark: 25

LB:
Wagner: 28
Wright: 29
Wilhoite: 31 **

* = Merely above average SS
** = Old, fungible OLB

9 out of 11 players on defense are good or better at their position. Not to mention several players who are among the best at their position. Seattle also drafted a bunch of DB's last year, so who knows if one crops up to challenge McDougald. The only mild concerns are OLB and general depth. But there's a handful of serviceable young OLB's behind Wilhoite like Garvin

I'm not worried about the defense.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Where do you think that defense rates in 2018? Top ten?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Although I'd be happy to see Seattle use some of their 5th round pick on high-upside LB's.

Assuming we cut our two expensive TE's and keep Sheldon, I think the biggest concerns for Seattle this offseason are:

1. OG
2. RB
---Gap---
3. TE
---Gap---
4. OLB
5. DL Depth

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Spoeank posted:

Where do you think that defense rates in 2018? Top ten?

Absolutely.

They were 11th last year with a lovely offense and a bunch of injuries. Reed and Clark in particular are young good DL, a position that usually explodes around year 4. Griffin is a young stud at CB.

It's entirely reasonable to think that it's likely the young players improve more than the older good players decline.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont get how a collection of the greatest players ever at their position can 1) get knocked out of the playoffs by drew stanton throwing for 155 yards/1 td/1 int and 2) be worse than the cardinals on defense

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Turns out you also have to play offense.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Well, they hired an exciting new OC to address that very issue, have no worries!

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'd like to request we replace lokey snipe with curls.gif so long as schottenheimer is employed

It's implied but I feel like it really can't be understated tbh

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Curls.gif is one of my favorite football gifs of all time. I approve.

But in an ironic twist of fate, the light now blinds me...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Did anyone ever ask him why he ran curls on that route in a post game presser?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'd love to see Cousins in Arizona. Denver definitely seems more likely but you never know. With David Johnson providing a legit run threat, I think JJ Nelson, and the Brown brothers could be adequate targets for Cousins in the offense. It might just turn them into the Redskins with a better defense, but least it would be a team worth watching.

I want Hyde to stay in SF, I think he's worth paying. Also, stoked on that Jimmy G contract. I'm not totally convinced that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, in fact I think his medium and deep ball is kind of poo poo. Hopefully they can work and that.

Seattle needs so much I don't even know where to start. OG and TE definite priority, but the whole o line could use some upgrading.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Coldforge posted:

Well, they hired an exciting new OC to address that very issue, have no worries!

Faith in your new quarterback misplaced may be.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

dont even fink about it posted:

Your opinion is like Yoda's rear end in a top hat. It's small and stinky, and the color of envy :colbert:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

gently caress I hope Jimmy G doesn't turn mediocre now that he's got this crazy deal. He totally looked really good but I'm still a bit worried, there are some definite holes in his game. Here's hoping that being a starter helps him to keep improving

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I still expect this to all end in some Cartman-esque comeuppance but until then gently caress it Jimmy G is legit and the west is about to be like the 80s and 90s again.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Play posted:

gently caress I hope Jimmy G doesn't turn mediocre now that he's got this crazy deal. He totally looked really good but I'm still a bit worried, there are some definite holes in his game. Here's hoping that being a starter helps him to keep improving

It’s insanely front loaded. You’ll need at least a couple of years to figure out if he’s mediocre or not and by then you can cut him if he is.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Help me Niners fans. Trying to buy a Niners jersey as a gift right now. I was considering getting a #15 jersey for ~*~*~*~reasons*~*~*~*. What are the odds that Garcon will be on the team next year? And if so, will his jersey be embarrassing to wear?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Chichevache posted:

Help me Niners fans. Trying to buy a Niners jersey as a gift right now. I was considering getting a #15 jersey for ~*~*~*~reasons*~*~*~*. What are the odds that Garcon will be on the team next year? And if so, will his jersey be embarrassing to wear?

He probably will, he had a fantastic season last year with Hoyer and Beathard throwing to him, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't get back to that unless the neck injury is way way worse than anyone's said.

That said, they churned over half the roster last year...:shrug:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Garcon was still pretty good before the injury and the Niners have zero WR depth. There's also no financial incentive to cut him now, since it will create $10.9 million in dead money and actually lose cap savings.

SF still has $74 million in cap space even after locking up Jimmy, and with the team in quick-turnaround mode they don't really have a reason to get rid of useful veterans. Garcon will be back.

Benne fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 19, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
FA and the draft need to hurry up. A lot of poo poo is going to go down for 3 of the 4 teams in the NFC West and gosh darn it I want it now!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Chiefs you sons of bitches

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I want the Rams to still re-sign Trumaine Johnson somehow and form one of the best CB duos in the league.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

So fantastic that the Rams got Peters. I'd be happy with either Trumaine Johnson or Lamarcus Joyner kept on the other side. Rams have quite a few free agents to either re sign or let go but this move makes you think that they will be back in a big way next season.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Guys, I had a dream last night that the Seahawks were bad and had some random, young white guy at QB.

So, a slight change from reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Guys, I had a dream last night that the Seahawks were bad and had some random, young white guy at QB.

So, a slight change from reality.

That wasn't a dream, it was a prophecy created from the dark magic of Nathan Peterman.

• Locked thread